The rear leafs were taken off of a CJ and mounted backwards by the PO! The 4wd did not work because the transfer case was wasted. Look at the slack in that chain! It was wearing into the interior shell! Before taking apart the Tcase, I installed the Positive engagement kit to the front axel. That did not resolve the 4wd issue, but no loss on that upgrade.
So, ran her for a while like that, enjoying the summer. The rot on the tub was the next area of concern. The roll bar mounts were pushing through the floor, driver side floor pan just gone, seat belt mounts gone, etc. So I came across this through a buddy.
So, I got me one of these. And I got me one of those. That is a restoration job I did on that press. My neighbor's daughter gave it to me. I didn't need the press for the body work, but will be using it very soon for some frame work.
Some of the floor/rocker repair. I made a major boo boo when I cut loose the old rocker panel. The tub dropped, twisted, and tweaked about an inch in each direction when I made the last cut. A little foresight would have come in handy there. I also cut the jamb into the radius on the tub because that's where the new panel ended. I should have cut back the new panel, where the radius was done with, then I would have been working on a straight line. Hopefully somebody learns from my mistakes.
The first few pics are replacing the front driver side body mount. The second set is the body mount hidden under a brace that connects with the floorpan and the support beam running from side to side was a body mount which was destroyed. This is how I fabbed one up. Probably could have gone about it in an easier method, but didn't mind the work.
A good buddy stopped by and helped me get to this point. We left what we could attached to the interior of the firewall, such as the pedals and ductwork. That way I can pull it as I need it and will know where it goes. I'll probably torch off the firewall so I can keep it around without the yard looking like a junkyard.
This is where I left it today. Got some rot to repair in the rear. I cut off that flimsy bumper support to access the rot. I'll replace it with that heavy piece of channel I stole from work. Be nice for a hitch support. The front 3/4 of the frame is actually pretty nice. I got Eastwood Internal Coating on order and some more POR 15 along with the Chasis Coat coming also. I'm planning to hit the junkyard for TBI parts for a fuel injection conversion, thanks to info BernieBikes passed on to me.
I put this up in case it may be of any use to others, and to welcome any comments or suggestions that may push me further toward success. Thanks!
Back at it today. After trying to work around it, I decided to get that dang axel out of my way. Was extra work, but will make working on the frame a lot more comfortable. Also took out the exhaust. No biggie.
So, once again, the very rear of the frame is the sole area of frame repair for me. The problem is that I am working around two body mounts and 2 leaf spring mounts, so I am very concerned with losing any of those locations. I certainly do not want to chop off the frame and try to replicate it freehand. I need to replace the outside and inside panels along with the bottom edge on both the passenger and driver sides, all while not disturbing the body and leaf mounts. I decided to cut out and replace the rot section by section. I spent some time making cardboard templates before cutting anything out.