Well, here it is... - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Jeep Wrangler Forum > YJ Build Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-22-2013, 08:27 PM   #61
Jeeper
 
wwch99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Felton Delaware
Posts: 5,125
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ - 3A View Post
I apparently exceeded available space for attachments. I need to figure out how to create a link to share!
Nice rig

Use photobucket its pretty easy to set up and use

wwch99tj is offline   Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #62
Jeeper
 
SSRx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Southeastern Az
Posts: 85
Great job! Very nice work. If you are interested, check out Jeff Scherb's work over on the jeep forum. He is in the process of building a commando hood/grill for his TJ. He does all his work out of fiberglass. He has some really cool other designs he did as well.

I love how your jeep came out. The color is perfect and the grill is top notch. And I still like that roof rack. How is it bolted through your hard top? How is it sealed? I am thinking on building one like it, but am curious as to how it is mounted.
Thanks,
Bill

__________________
My driveway IS a Jeep Trail.
SSRx7 is offline   Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 03:13 PM   #63
Jeeper
 
YJ - 3A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSRx7 View Post
Great job! Very nice work. If you are interested, check out Jeff Scherb's work over on the jeep forum. He is in the process of building a commando hood/grill for his TJ. He does all his work out of fiberglass. He has some really cool other designs he did as well. I love how your jeep came out. The color is perfect and the grill is top notch. And I still like that roof rack. How is it bolted through your hard top? How is it sealed? I am thinking on building one like it, but am curious as to how it is mounted. Thanks, Bill
Thanks Bill. The rack is bolted through the roof and sits on solid rubber snubbers that I drilled through. I made sure the hole was tight in the rubber and actually threaded the bolt through. To ensure I didn't compromise the integrity of the fiberglass roof, I drilled the hole a bit bigger than the bolt and alternated a stack of fender washers and rubber washers on the interior, then bolted it down with a threaded handle. By doing this, it allows for movement and doesn't bind against the top. I also fabricated some struts that attach to the bolts on the interior and rest on the bars that tie the windshield into the roll bar with a fish mouth cut. I've had this set up for 3 years now and never had a single leak, in fact, I drove from Denver to northern Minnesota in February a couple of years ago and didn't have one problem. Once I figure out how to post more pics through photobucket etc..., I can provide detailed photos if you would like. Thanks again for the kind words, Larry.
__________________
Built what I consider to be a modern CJ-3A, I call it my YJ-3A, better known as the Inglourious Basterd! 4" Rubicon Express lift, 8.8 diff, 35's, Banks exhaust etc...
YJ - 3A is offline   Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 06:49 PM   #64
Jeeper
 
YJ - 3A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ fanatic View Post
I'm curious, what was the idea behind the mesh flares? I've never seen anything like that before. I like it, kinda interesting. Very nice Jeep though. Great work
I finally have an answer for you on the flares! I shook it down last weekend and it got a little muddy. Took it to the car wash and washed the mud right out from the top! Worked great.
__________________
Built what I consider to be a modern CJ-3A, I call it my YJ-3A, better known as the Inglourious Basterd! 4" Rubicon Express lift, 8.8 diff, 35's, Banks exhaust etc...
YJ - 3A is offline   Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #65
Jeeper
 
YJ fanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: White Cloud, Michigan
Posts: 1,008
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ - 3A View Post
I finally have an answer for you on the flares! I shook it down last weekend and it got a little muddy. Took it to the car wash and washed the mud right out from the top! Worked great.
That sounds pretty slick. Definitely unique.
__________________
92 YJ, 4.0, 5" BDS springs, 1" booms, 1" BL, 35x12.50x15 MTZ's, Ford 8.8 with LSD, 4.10 gears. It's never done though.
YJ fanatic is offline   Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 07:42 PM   #66
Jeeper
 
ThingsAbove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: NC
Posts: 799
Images: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ - 3A View Post
Another view.
That is a fantastic looking rig. You need to get that featured in a Jeep magazine.
ThingsAbove is offline   Quote
Old 10-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #67
Jeeper
 
W5KVV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: S.E. Oklahoma
Posts: 824
Cleanest round eye conversion I've yet to see. VERY nicely done.
__________________
1995 Rio Grande - 4"RC - 1/2"booms - 33's - 4:88's - 1"MML -
Belly up/302/NP435/NP208/8.8 swap about to start
http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...g?t=1411201524
W5KVV is offline   Quote
Old 10-24-2013, 09:59 AM   #68
Jeeper
 
SSRx7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Southeastern Az
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ - 3A View Post
Thanks Bill. The rack is bolted through the roof and sits on solid rubber snubbers that I drilled through. I made sure the hole was tight in the rubber and actually threaded the bolt through. To ensure I didn't compromise the integrity of the fiberglass roof, I drilled the hole a bit bigger than the bolt and alternated a stack of fender washers and rubber washers on the interior, then bolted it down with a threaded handle. By doing this, it allows for movement and doesn't bind against the top. I also fabricated some struts that attach to the bolts on the interior and rest on the bars that tie the windshield into the roll bar with a fish mouth cut. I've had this set up for 3 years now and never had a single leak, in fact, I drove from Denver to northern Minnesota in February a couple of years ago and didn't have one problem. Once I figure out how to post more pics through photobucket etc..., I can provide detailed photos if you would like. Thanks again for the kind words, Larry.
Thanks for the info Larry. Yes, I would be interested in seeing the pics once you get them on photobucket. Another thing you could do is upload them to something like facebook and then copy and paste. It works well for me. I upload them on another forum and then copy and paste, or use the brackets IMG brackets way of inserting an image from another website if it doesn't copy and paste....

The strut concept is interesting to me.. I've been thinking on how to increase the load carrying capacity in a way that the hardtop doesn't bear the load. I was thinking solid bracketry to the roll bar/cage, but I'll take a look at how you did it.

Thanks,
Bill

__________________
My driveway IS a Jeep Trail.
SSRx7 is offline   Quote
Reply

Tags
flat fender flares , round headlight yj , square headlights

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:16 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC