Trimming stock JK fenders - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Pics Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-14-2010, 11:05 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
krutj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 650
Trimming stock JK fenders

Hello, new forum member looking for a thread or pics of trimmed JK fenders.

Seen a few, just looking for various trimming methods. I'm having a hard time deciding on "how much" to trim. We all know that there's no going back.

Here's my Jeep...de-stickered and de-badged now





Thanks for any help you can give me in locating the thread/pics.

__________________
____________________

Joel
krutj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
InfernoGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Newburgh IN
Posts: 11,419
Start with a little and go from there... the easiest way, at least for TJ flares is to score them with a razor knife and bend and peel. It's easy. Pretty sure JK's are similar, but someone who's done it on JK will post up soon. You might try searching the pic threads for trimmed flares too..

__________________

Dirty Mudder column covers|

'01 Wrangler Sport, Sienna Pearl Mine
'07 Rubicon 2D, Flame Red His
'11 Wrangler Sport 4D, Black Ours...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate View Post
Not every girl, is a Jeep girl. We're a special breed.
InfernoGirl is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
krutj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by InfernoGirl View Post
Start with a little and go from there... the easiest way, at least for TJ flares is to score them with a razor knife and bend and peel. It's easy. Pretty sure JK's are similar, but someone who's done it on JK will post up soon. You might try searching the pic threads for trimmed flares too..

Thanks for the reply InfernoGirl...the actual cutting isn't too much of a concern. I've seen a few over the last year and some like to cut them similar to the after market type(Bushwhacker,Xenon) and some leave the front drop alone. I just can't decide which way to go....lol
__________________
____________________

Joel
krutj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Fazed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 343
I trimmed mine and am very happy with it... You can see it in my profile pic on here. Cleans it up nice!

Matt
__________________
2007 JK Unlimited X
1997 TJ Sahara
Fazed is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
krutj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazed View Post
I trimmed mine and am very happy with it... You can see it in my profile pic on here. Cleans it up nice!

Matt

Those look great...any issues w/flapping or looseness?

I'm currently debating on whether to cut mine like yours or leave the front on. I'm also considering bobbing the rear bumper.

Thanks for the reply Matt.......
__________________
____________________

Joel
krutj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2010, 05:08 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Fazed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
Those look great...any issues w/flapping or looseness?

I'm currently debating on whether to cut mine like yours or leave the front on. I'm also considering bobbing the rear bumper.

Thanks for the reply Matt.......

No issues with flapping even at highway speeds. I trimmed and kept the inner support. I did put some black silicone between the fender and the inner support, and it keeps it pretty snug.

Also, albeit from another forum, there is an excellent "how-to" write up that will take you step by step through the process. The only deviation I did was to cut the fenders while still on the jeep.

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource » Jeep JK Wrangler Factory Fender Chop

Good luck! and post pics when you're done.

Matt
__________________
2007 JK Unlimited X
1997 TJ Sahara
Fazed is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
krutj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fazed View Post
No issues with flapping even at highway speeds. I trimmed and kept the inner support. I did put some black silicone between the fender and the inner support, and it keeps it pretty snug.

Also, albeit from another forum, there is an excellent "how-to" write up that will take you step by step through the process. The only deviation I did was to cut the fenders while still on the jeep.

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Res...ry Fender Chop

Good luck! and post pics when you're done.

Matt
Thanks again Matt, that is a great link. I've looked at that site a couple of times.

I think that I want to leave a little more liner on mine...lol I wasn't planning on removing mine either. I did really like the shape of the project JK fender.

I will post up some pics when I get it done...

__________________
____________________

Joel
krutj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New classic lightweight CJ-style flattie fenders for the Wrangler Jerry Bransford TJ General Discussion Forum 366 10-29-2013 10:23 PM
Fender Trimming Skrats11111 TJ General Discussion Forum 3 03-07-2010 08:58 PM
Technique on triming Fenders? mudslinger150 TJ Tech Forum 2 10-06-2009 09:59 AM
Stock Suspension Question TOMMY78 YJ Tech Forum 10 12-18-2008 10:15 PM
33" tires on stock rubicon wheels? 03IncaRubi TJ General Discussion Forum 12 09-02-2008 08:16 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:23 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC