Will these wheels/tires rub on my '12 Unlimited? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Jeep Wrangler Forum > JK Pics Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-10-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 4
Will these wheels/tires rub on my '12 Unlimited?

I am installing a set of 18x9 (zero offset) XD Rockstar wheels with 275/70R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on my '12 Unlimited Safari. The stock tires are 255/70R18. Will there be any fitment issues? I am not planning on any type of lift. Thanks!

tggentry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 07:11 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
rics1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, Tn
Posts: 4,764
Should have no issues as long as you don't disconnect your sway bar. With zero offset, you should be about to go up to a 315's in width. Of course you would need a small lift for tires that size. But with no lift and zero offset you should be able to go with the 275/70/18 with no problem except if you disconnect and go to full articulation on the trail. There you may rub your fender just a little.

__________________
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl Jeep Wrangler Sport S Automatic
4.88 Yukon w/Trac-Lok rear and Eaton ELocker Front - Synergy Gussets - B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
BDS 3" lift - BDS Fox 2.0 Racing Shocks
XHD front Bumper - Trektop NX - Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar 35X12.5X15 on MB Chaos 5 Wheels - Thrush Turbo Muffler

Become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
rics1997 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
In my opinion, you can't really go by offset to determine if it will rub or not. Backspacing is much more appropriate to use to me.

The OPs wheels will have 5" of backspacing. It is true that the OP shouldn't have any issues running such a narrow tire with that backspacing.

But using the logic that a 315 should fit on a 0 offset wheel....
That is like saying a 315 (12.5") tire can fit on a 10" rim with 0 offset. That would equate to 5.5" of backspace. And the tire would make contact with the airdam and front sway bar.

For the JK, the magic number for use of tires up to 315 (12.5") seems to be 4.5" backspacing (which would be 0 offset on an 8" wide wheel).

Just my 2 pennies.
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 07:56 AM   #4
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,887
Lol.... The tire guys ^^

Both got all their experience working at Town fair tire
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 07:59 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10
Lol.... The tire guys ^^

Both got all their experience working at Town fair tire
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #6
MallCrawler

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
kjeeper10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit

and hahaha
__________________
2007 Rubicon/Rock Krawler triple rate 2.5" coils/RK rear TB w/ a teraflex raised bracket/Rancho 9000 31/32XL shocks/Synergy flipped draglink,ball joints,tie rod /Hankook MT 315-75-16 on Level 8 ZX's/Rancho geo brackets/Ruff stuff uppers/Fox ATS stabilizer/Adams front DS/Artec front armor w/ Currie upper bushings/Rancho cat back exhaust.

Lifting your JK? Read this!!



Click HERE to become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
kjeeper10 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #7
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
kbwwolf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 12,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by rics1997 View Post
Should have no issues as long as you don't disconnect your sway bar. With zero offset, you should be about to go up to a 315's in width. Of course you would need a small lift for tires that size. But with no lift and zero offset you should be able to go with the 275/70/18 with no problem except if you disconnect and go to full articulation on the trail. There you may rub your fender just a little.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit View Post
In my opinion, you can't really go by offset to determine if it will rub or not. Backspacing is much more appropriate to use to me.

The OPs wheels will have 5" of backspacing. It is true that the OP shouldn't have any issues running such a narrow tire with that backspacing.

But using the logic that a 315 should fit on a 0 offset wheel....
That is like saying a 315 (12.5") tire can fit on a 10" rim with 0 offset. That would equate to 5.5" of backspace. And the tire would make contact with the airdam and front sway bar.

For the JK, the magic number for use of tires up to 315 (12.5") seems to be 4.5" backspacing (which would be 0 offset on an 8" wide wheel).

Just my 2 pennies.
Duelling mathematicians.

Just ask if you need to know how to spell syzygy. Oh, wait...
__________________


"What we see depends mainly on what we look for."
—John Lubbock
kbwwolf is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
rics1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, Tn
Posts: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit View Post
In my opinion, you can't really go by offset to determine if it will rub or not. Backspacing is much more appropriate to use to me.

The OPs wheels will have 5" of backspacing. It is true that the OP shouldn't have any issues running such a narrow tire with that backspacing.

But using the logic that a 315 should fit on a 0 offset wheel....
That is like saying a 315 (12.5") tire can fit on a 10" rim with 0 offset. That would equate to 5.5" of backspace. And the tire would make contact with the airdam and front sway bar.

For the JK, the magic number for use of tires up to 315 (12.5") seems to be 4.5" backspacing (which would be 0 offset on an 8" wide wheel).

Just my 2 pennies.


Backspace is the worst use of measurement. Offset is the best. Offset never changes no matter what the wheel width or size is but backspace does. A 8" wide wheel requiring a 4.5" bs is 0 offset while a 10" wide wheel with a 0 offset and will set exactly the same as the 8" wide wheel with 0 offset yet the backspace is 5.5"

Backspace is absolutely the worst form of measurement. You are looking at it backwards
__________________
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl Jeep Wrangler Sport S Automatic
4.88 Yukon w/Trac-Lok rear and Eaton ELocker Front - Synergy Gussets - B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
BDS 3" lift - BDS Fox 2.0 Racing Shocks
XHD front Bumper - Trektop NX - Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar 35X12.5X15 on MB Chaos 5 Wheels - Thrush Turbo Muffler

Become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
rics1997 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 04:43 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
rics1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, Tn
Posts: 4,764
Here is why. How do you measure offset? You measure from the center of the wheel. If you have 0 offset that means the center of the wheel mounts flush to the hub directly where half the wheel is on one side of the hub face and half the wheel sets inside the hub face. It doesn't matter what size the wheel is, this will be true. And since the tire sits equally centered to the wheel then 0 offset means half the tire sits on one side of the hub and half on the other. It doesn't matter if the wheel is 2" wide or 12" wide, half and half meaning tire sits half and half no matter it's size

Remeber the wheel really doesn't matter because it is the tire that rubs not the wheel. So since a 12" wide tire on a 8" wide wheel with 0 offset the TIRE will sit 6" behind the hub and 6" in front. The same 12" wide TIRE on a 11" wheel will still sit 6" on one side of the hub and six inches on the other. Doesn't matter the wheel size or tire size at a 0 offset the tire will sit half and half.

That means the TIRE will sit exactly the same stance as long as the OFFSET is the same

On the other hand a 8" wide wheel with 4.5" backspace that has a 12" wide TIRE would have the TIRE sitting 6" on one side of the hub and 6" on the other. While a 10" wheel with a 4.5 backspace which means the front space will be 5.5". And since the tire sits on the wheel equally on each side means it will push the tire to the outside by 1". Now the 12" TIRE now sits 5.5" on the inside of the hub and 6.5" on the outside.

That means a 8" with 4.5"bs has a smaller stance then the 10" with 4.5"bs While if both had 0 offset they would sit exactly the same.

A 8" wide wheel with 4.5" bs will let the TIRE sit exactly the same as a 10" wide wheel with 5.5" bs. And yes both have a 0 offset. This is because the 12" wide tire will hang over a smaller wheel more then it will a larger one. You will have and extra inch of tire hanging over the 8" wide wheel then the 10" so the 8" wide wheel needs the 1 extra bs to account for the tire size.
__________________
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl Jeep Wrangler Sport S Automatic
4.88 Yukon w/Trac-Lok rear and Eaton ELocker Front - Synergy Gussets - B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
BDS 3" lift - BDS Fox 2.0 Racing Shocks
XHD front Bumper - Trektop NX - Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar 35X12.5X15 on MB Chaos 5 Wheels - Thrush Turbo Muffler

Become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
rics1997 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 04:52 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Alright ric. I follow what you are saying. I still prefer to use backspacing as my measurement of choice, but I do follow what you mean.
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
SolarStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 113
Since I have some experts here

I am going to be running 35x12.5x18 on an 18x9 wheel.

What offset number am I looking at to get the magical 4.5 of BS everyone says u need for no rub.

If thats not the case what are the minimum #s I need to look for regarding offset and BS.

Thank you in advance.
SolarStar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-17-2012, 04:54 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
rics1997's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Bristol, Tn
Posts: 4,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarStar View Post
Since I have some experts here

I am going to be running 35x12.5x18 on an 18x9 wheel.

What offset number am I looking at to get the magical 4.5 of BS everyone says u need for no rub.

If thats not the case what are the minimum #s I need to look for regarding offset and BS.

Thank you in advance.

For 12.5" tires on any wheel you need 0 offset on a JK


18X9 wheel need a minimum of 0 offset which is 5" bs

4.5" is needed for 8" wide wheels


------------------------------------


Here is a guide I wrote up for someone else:

15" wheel need at least 3.75" bs so not to rub caliper no matter how wide the wheel

16" wide wheels need at least 4.25" bs for the same reason as above

That applies to alloy and some steel but there can be exceptions. Most steel 15" will not fit.

17" and larger wheel need the following for 315 mm or 12.5" tires

7.5" wide wheels need 4.25 bs
8" wide wheels need 4.5" bs
8.5" wheel need at least 4.75 bs
9" wide wheels need 5" bs
9.5" needs 5.25" bs
10" need 5.5" bs
10.5 need 5.75" bs
11" Not recommended needs 6" bs.

All these are 0 offset but you can use less offset of -12 or -19 but the tire will stick out further past the fender with these offsets
__________________
2010 Dark Charcoal Pearl Jeep Wrangler Sport S Automatic
4.88 Yukon w/Trac-Lok rear and Eaton ELocker Front - Synergy Gussets - B&M 70264 Trans Cooler
BDS 3" lift - BDS Fox 2.0 Racing Shocks
XHD front Bumper - Trektop NX - Goodyear MT/R w/Kevlar 35X12.5X15 on MB Chaos 5 Wheels - Thrush Turbo Muffler

Become a WranglerForum Supporting Member!
rics1997 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
SolarStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 113
Could I run a 17x9 wheel with an offset of -24 w a 35x12.5 tire?
SolarStar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 02:46 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
4fit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Graham, NC
Posts: 2,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by SolarStar
Could I run a 17x9 wheel with an offset of -24 w a 35x12.5 tire?
That would put backspacing at around 4.1". You could run that fine, but the wheels and tire will sit further out from the Jeep than one with a greater backspace. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just making you aware.
__________________
-Jeff-
'11 JKU Sport - TF Leveling Kit - 16" Strike 5s on 33s
4fit is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 02:56 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
SolarStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fit

That would put backspacing at around 4.1". You could run that fine, but the wheels and tire will sit further out from the Jeep than one with a greater backspace. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Just making you aware.
Great thanks.

I don't mind them sticking out a little further.
SolarStar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 03:16 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
FreezerJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Beaumont
Posts: 642
My head has been blown.
__________________
2012 JKU Arctic Edition
2011 Subaru Imprezza
FreezerJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 03:28 PM   #17
ESP
Jeeper
 
ESP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NC
Posts: 11,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezerJeep View Post
My head has been blown.
__________________
98 XJ 02 TJ 10 JK 13 JK

2013 JK - Lifted w/ 35s - Bilstein 5100s - Monster TB - Chopped Flares - Can't Keep It Clean
ESP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-20-2012, 07:11 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
SolarStar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: South Jersey
Posts: 113
Thanks for all the help.

Went and order my wheels today.
Attached Images
 
SolarStar is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 05:44 PM   #19
Newb
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 1
weels

Quote:
Originally Posted by tggentry View Post
I am installing a set of 18x9 (zero offset) XD Rockstar wheels with 275/70R18 Nitto Trail Grapplers on my '12 Unlimited Safari. The stock tires are 255/70R18. Will there be any fitment issues? I am not planning on any type of lift. Thanks!
from where did you get your xd weels I wiil like to get the same.
Give me some info,please.Thanks
vagos is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-20-2012, 09:02 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
XJ Knight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Walking The Plank
Posts: 16,640
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagos View Post
from where did you get your xd weels I wiil like to get the same.
Give me some info,please.Thanks
The OP has not been on since March.. Discount tire sells them I think and if you go through the discount tire rep here, you will probably get the best deal on them, I'll be it worth looking around

__________________
-XJ- 2001 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Gone
1999 Jeep XJ Cherokee - Party Hard


-InfernoGirl- "They are the most fun you can have with your pants on..."

"Selfless over Selfish" RIP Brian "96_XJ" Perrine
XJ Knight is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What I did to my TJ today TJeepman TJ General Discussion Forum 26613 Today 09:23 AM
Painting Rubicon Wheels ndrugby JK General Discussion Forum 28 05-29-2013 03:19 PM
Lessons learned from my first Wrangler purchase 2012Jeep JK General Discussion Forum 33 08-14-2012 10:20 AM
How much would it cost to lift my 1987 YJ Jeep Wrangler 5 inches? ROBINGAGA YJ Tech Forum 3 03-10-2012 09:16 PM
Will it be too much of a change for the shift points in my jeep jk wrangler? ROBINGAGA JK General Discussion Forum 2 03-10-2012 06:01 AM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:54 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC