2006 Wrangler X, I6, 4L soft top
After much deliberation and patiently looking over the center bezel / cowl it became apparent that it was indeed separate from the dash as a whole and that the directions found here on this site from a much earlier post how hard can it be? (radio)
would be applicable in part, but not whole. The following is a write up for the exact way in which the wok proceeded.
1. It is necessary to have a 1-1 1/2" putty knife with tape to cover the blade at least 2/3 of the shank. A #2 Phillips screw driver. Two small flat blade jeweler screw drivers.
2. Starting at the drivers side and working toward the passenger side place the putty knife under the far end of the defrost vent and gently sway the putty knife up / down till the vent lifts.
3. Proceed to approximately the mid point and gently lift ( be very careful the material is thin) up / down till the vent frees from its hold.
4. Continue the process along the top until you are to the passenger side and gently lift the vent with your right hand (steady its length with the left) toward the window then pull it up and out toward the rear.
(Lay the vent in a safe place where it wont be damaged)
5. Remove the two center #1 Phillips screws (make sure to hold on to them tight as they could easily fall in side the vent) and lay them to the side.
6. The center bezel / cowl is really tricky in the 2006 tj model (at least for me it was). It will be necessary to place your fingers up near the vent and gently tug till the vent starts to shift forward (stop when it moves about an inch) and do not go to far as it will be necessary to first remove the lower section of the bezel.
7. There are four clips which hold the unit tight to the dash (and I do me tight). One each is located nearest the section by the HU and one each is located at the base in the lowest corners. The corner ones must be released before the upper bout is completely shifted forward.
8. Gently push with the putty knife at the lowest points at each side of the bezel / cowl (it may be necessary to adjust your position by hanging out of the jeep and then placing the putty knife in the corners and lifting) until the unit pops out off its retainer slots.
9. Place center housing to the side in a safe place.
10. Four #2 Phillips headed screws hold the four slot and two 12 V power outlets in place. Remove the four #2 Phillips screws and gently lay the fixture down.
11. It will be necessary to use the jeweler screw driver in this step to release the 12 V power outlet from the wiring harness.
There is a blue housing on the lighter module and a grey housing on the 12 V power outlet (black) module. Place the small screw driver into the clip opening and press in and up at the same time. Careful not to slip and hurt yourself or to damage the surrounding plastic dash.
12. It is necessary in this step to hold the unit assembly in your hand and using two jeweler screw drivers remove the plastic blanks from the main body of the assembly. Place one small jeweler screwdriver on each side of the snap clip and press the screw drivers in till the clip releases (be careful not to press to hard).
It is really easy to break and or gouge / damage the surrounding plastic and clips that hold the dash together so caution must be used at all times. Also, your back will take a bit of a beating trying to run the wire up under the dash once you do install the sw's and replace the center bezel / cowl. It was necessary to tape all wires together in a harness and run them through a wire loom so as to get them to fit smoothly through the dash opening.