2001 TJ stereo system upgrade...need input pls - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Communications and Electronics

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-21-2014, 01:51 PM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 4
2001 TJ stereo system upgrade...need input pls

Would love to hear from audio experts about my dilemma. I recently replaced all four speakers with Polk db521's, the factory sub with a cheap Pyramid WX65X 6.5" connected to factory amp and the head unit with a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597. I thought that would satisfy my ears but unfortunately its not quite enough. Im looking for good clarity not to win any competitions. here is where i need some experienced help. I can follow installation instruction pretty well, but havent tooled enough audio systems to make a truly inform decision. Ive narrow down powering my Polk's with either the Rockford Fosgate Punch PBR300X4 or the Alpine KTP-445A Power Pack. Obviously for pure power the Punch would be my choice but combine price/power/installation im under the impression the Alpine is the better choice. thoughts, opinions on sound and installation.

now for the sub. what would be the recommendation if I want to keep the sub in the factory center console location. im willing to replace the Pyramid with the Kicker COMPVT65 6.5Inch Subwoofer 4 Ohm and adding a mono subamp. would this sub give a nice kick in the pants or not worth it due to space. (i would not opt for tube or other method limited interior space.) Mono sub amp recommendation also requested. currently thinking of Rockford Fosgate Punch PBR300X1 or would that be overkill on the small sub. Or just get a cheap sub amp for the pyramid?

I like to listen to classic rock mostly as the 90's are considered classic now and im too lazy to spend time listening to new stuff. long live grunge!

aeromarknyc is offline   Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 03:29 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,974
Yeah, the Alpine is better for those speakers. The Rockford Fosgate would blow them out.

For the sub, I'm not seeing that the CompVT is still available.
There is the CompRT, that is 2ohms and would work well with the Punch 300x1

Kicker 40CWRT672 CompRT shallow-mount 6-3/4" subwoofer with dual 2-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

ChasUGC is offline   Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 10:25 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
coastalwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 124
The pbr300x4, set properly, will not blow out the db521's. It gives you a little bit of overhead for not having the gains cranked all the way up and for future upgrades. It's also really small and there are many threads on here with people sticking them under steering columns and behind glove boxes, so it's almost as versatile as the power pack.

As for the sub, the 6.5" is more of a midrange speaker and will do a fine job if that's what you're looking for. You can fit an 8 down in the console with a little modification, but you have to be careful to avoid rattles and to get the sound right. Either way, the pbr300x1 will also give you a little room to work there and power a 6.5 or 8 just fine.
coastalwrangler is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,974
I am so tired of this. No one will respond to threads in this section, because they don't know the answer. Then, as soon as I reply, someone says I'm wrong, and suddenly they know the proper answer.

Once and for all, I won't say it again. Gain IS NOT a volume control.
It's absolutely ridiculous to say that a subwoofer is a midrange speaker just because it is smaller. Subwoofer and midrange speakers respond to totally different frequencies.

I'm done with this ridiculousness.
I'm done with whatever problem you people have here too.
Go ahead and respond again now, and tell me how wrong I am, and how bad I am. I'm done!
ChasUGC is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:36 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
coastalwrangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 124
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasUGC View Post
I am so tired of this. No one will respond to threads in this section, because they don't know the answer. Then, as soon as I reply, someone says I'm wrong, and suddenly they know the proper answer. Once and for all, I won't say it again. Gain IS NOT a volume control. It's absolutely ridiculous to say that a subwoofer is a midrange speaker just because it is smaller. Subwoofer and midrange speakers respond to totally different frequencies. I'm done with this ridiculousness. I'm done with whatever problem you people have here too. Go ahead and respond again now, and tell me how wrong I am, and how bad I am. I'm done!
Please don't say it again, because no one even mentioned gain and volume together. And it's not ridiculous at all. Get that 6.5 to play as low as an 8 or 10. Do it. I'll wait. If you'll stop arguing opinions, and that's what all of your posts are, as absolute fact you won't have this problem.
coastalwrangler is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:52 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by coastalwrangler View Post
Please don't say it again, because no one even mentioned gain and volume together. And it's not ridiculous at all. Get that 6.5 to play as low as an 8 or 10. Do it. I'll wait. If you'll stop arguing opinions, and that's what all of your posts are, as absolute fact you won't have this problem.
I can see that you still don't understand, and I'm not going to waste my breathe trying to educate you about "gain". Also, a 6.5 subwoofer plays as low as a 8", 10" or 12" subwoofer. This is determined by the subwoofer frequency response, and not by its size. It just won't hit as hard because it is smaller and generally has less handling capabilities. Although, different quality subwoofers, as with any speaker, might have slightly different frequency responses.

Amplifier Gain Controls
Contrary to popular belief, an amplifiers gain control does not determine the maximum power that an amplifier can produce.


Amplifier Gain Controls


Kicker 6.5 - 30htz http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CRT...40CWRT672.html
Kicker 8" - 30htz http://www.crutchfield.com/p_2064CWS...r-40CWS84.html
Kicker 10" - 30 htz http://www.crutchfield.com/S-mmrPGCR...er-10C104.html
12" subwoofer still about 30htz http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...C-W3013PS.html

(frequency response might be slightly different depending on quality, but NOT size)




ChasUGC is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
eboven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Black Hawk, CO
Posts: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasUGC View Post
I'm done with this ridiculousness.
I'm done with whatever problem you people have here too.
Go ahead and respond again now, and tell me how wrong I am, and how bad I am. I'm done!
When I read this, I was happy. Then you responded again, and all my feelings of joy disappeared.

I don't get on these forums enough to answer every question that comes in, but every time I get a chance, I check the communications and electronics sub forum. Nearly every thread has some ridiculous comment from you, where you claim your opinion is fact. You then find some article on google that somewhat aligns with what you said... "SEE? PROOF!" Anyone who truly knows DC electrical theory knows your answers are seldom correct.

It's one thing to have an opinion. It's a whole other thing to believe your semi-educated opinion is absolute fact. I think the forum would be better off without your responses... if a thread never gets an answer, it's still better than a thread with miss-information and opinionated statements.

OP: sorry for the thread hijack...

[/Rant]
eboven is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Rubi513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Conroe, Texas
Posts: 1,581
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboven View Post
When I read this, I was happy. Then you responded again, and all my feelings of joy disappeared.

I don't get on these forums enough to answer every question that comes in, but every time I get a chance, I check the communications and electronics sub forum. Nearly every thread has some ridiculous comment from you, where you claim your opinion is fact. You then find some article on google that somewhat aligns with what you said... "SEE? PROOF!" Anyone who truly knows DC electrical theory knows your answers are seldom correct.

It's one thing to have an opinion. It's a whole other thing to believe your semi-educated opinion is absolute fact. I think the forum would be better off without your responses... if a thread never gets an answer, it's still better than a thread with miss-information and opinionated statements.

OP: sorry for the thread hijack...

[/Rant]
__________________
"I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work."
Rubi513 is offline   Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 11:41 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,974
The Meaning Of Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by eboven View Post
When I read this, I was happy. Then you responded again, and all my feelings of joy disappeared.

I don't get on these forums enough to answer every question that comes in, but every time I get a chance, I check the communications and electronics sub forum. Nearly every thread has some ridiculous comment from you, where you claim your opinion is fact. You then find some article on google that somewhat aligns with what you said... "SEE? PROOF!" Anyone who truly knows DC electrical theory knows your answers are seldom correct.

It's one thing to have an opinion. It's a whole other thing to believe your semi-educated opinion is absolute fact. I think the forum would be better off without your responses... if a thread never gets an answer, it's still better than a thread with miss-information and opinionated statements.

OP: sorry for the thread hijack...

[/Rant]
I believe its better to give information with supporting documentation, than giving popular belief with absolutely no supporting scientific data. Popular belief at one time said the earth was flat. But, I think we know better now.
You can do it your way, and as a Scientist, I'll do it my way. Maybe somehow, in your mind, you will still fall off the earth. There is a word for that and it starts with an "I". I'm so sick of this. You can't fight scientific data and supporting documentation with that "I" word. Please, let's not do this; we are all Jeep Wrangler lovers. I only want to love and help my fellow Jeeper's.

When someone presents scientific data or documentation to refute my statements, I will analyze it, and admit that I was wrong, if applicable.

But, that "I" word, means absolutely nothing to me. Especially, when there are other such words that are a disgrace to humanity. I will not respond to any more personal attacks. It hurts my meaning of love to my fellow Wrangler owners. I still love you, and therefore, I must stop now.
ChasUGC is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #10
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3
Revisit the 2001 TJ Stereo Upgrade conversation...

This is my very first post on any such forum, so I do so with trepidation.

I follow several other forums, and in general there is a lot of misinformation offered as fact by self proclaimed experts. One must exercise caution and common sense in evaluating the validity of input from the "forum" on any topic. To that end: the threads from early 2014 on sub size v. response and Gain/Volume/Frequency Response is interesting.

The original post referenced a 2001 TJ stereo upgrade and quickly degenerated into an unpleasant, personal discussion. Gain and Volume are different. But that's a topic for another thread.

However, ChasUGC is correct in stating that speakers of different diameters designed to deliver similar Frequency Response (Hz) can, in fact, do so. But the "Punch or Feel" of a 40Hz signal from a 6.5 sub will not (nor is it intended to) be similar to that same 40Hz signal from say an 8 or 10 or 12 inch sub.

Having said that, can we get back to the topic of upgrading a stock 2001 TJ sound system with roll bar speakers? I am in the process of planning such a project on my 2001 Wrangler Sport and have settled on a utilitarian but functional system consisting of a Kenwood KDC155U receiver with 2 Kenwood KFC-1693Ps 3-way 6.5 inch Performance Series speakers for the stock roll bar enclosure. I will add a small sub later (6.5 or 8 inch depending on room available). The receiver has a rear sub output, and front accessible USB and 3.5mm Aux inputs. Overall, a nice upgrade with cost effective and flexible options to the plain typical included CD unit. And a remote no less! I placed the order today. I know I can make this conversion work with a bit of "fit" modification and I will post some comments and pics when completed.

In the interim, if anyone out there has done a similar upgrade on a similar model year TJ, I welcome any and all civil thoughts, comments and pics.

Regards to all out there in Wrangler Country. Don't beat me up too much for my first post.
chasmac is offline   Quote
Old 04-22-2015, 06:38 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
terpsmandan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Penn Yan, NY
Posts: 167
I did Alpine HU with the 445 powerpack with Infinity speakers, keeping the crossover in the dash pods, Kicker 6.5 SVC Sub and a Kicker mono amp. I would do it again, but go with Alpine HU and amp but use Alpine speakers in the dash pods and overhead pod but go with a SSV 8" sub enclosure. It was tough to dial in the whole system and I was never really happy with it.
terpsmandan is offline   Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:01 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasmac View Post
In the interim, if anyone out there has done a similar upgrade on a similar model year TJ, I welcome any and all civil thoughts, comments and pics.
I think its hard to do a serious stereo upgrade for $120.00. The headunit does sound like a decent start, but there has been much debate on 6.5" speakers, and I have never liked them for sound environment reasons. They render your front speakers useless. Unless, of course you fade the fronts tremendously and then it renders the 6.5's kind of useless. This is why I think its better to get 5.25 all around, and poly fill the fronts to get perfect quadro-phonic balance. I also think its imperative to hear any speakers before you buy them. What I would probably do, for a real budget upgrade, is look at four Kenwood 5.25 speakers with the new headunit. Although, the Kenwood 5.25's seem to have paper cones which I wouldn't buy. Also, with any decent subwoofer, that puts out say, 200-250watts RMS, 22watts coming from the speakers are not going to be enough. And, without even considering the front speakers, I think it leaves a lot to be desired, especially if you are considering it a real upgrade. I would do the headunit and save my money for new all around speakers, that could handle a minimum of 60watts RMS, and put a small power pack on them, to go with the subwoofer/amp.

If you see the audio system in my TJ, it is about a $1200.00 system upgrade. You definitely hear the front speakers with my 5.25's all around, and it is so well tuned that on certain songs, you can hear an instrument coming from one speaker alone and no other speaker for a true quadro-phonic feel.

But, the cost is basically because of the achievable volume. There is no reason that you couldn't get that same quadro-phonic effect from less expensive 5.25 speakers, with polyfill in the front.
__________________
ChasUGC is offline   Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 05:13 PM   #13
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 3
Appreciate the reply. My stereo upgrade project has itself been upgraded. I have decided to go with a Kenwood KDC BT562U head. Really wanted Bluetooth and Sirius ready unit. Have installed two Kenwood 4X6 in the front ( KFC 4675C Coustom Series) and two Kenwood 6.5's in the sound bar (KFC 1693Ps Performance Series). Went in easy, used factory holes. I have decided on a Kenwood sub (KSC SW11) and that should be a decent system all around. Around $410 total cost.
chasmac is offline   Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 10:28 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Mr.ken's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 88
Have you done this yet????? How does it sound??

Mr.ken is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:46 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC