2013 JKU Audio Complete Gut and Re-do Complete - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Communications and Electronics

Join Wrangler Forum Today



Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-23-2013, 08:27 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
rgnbull1227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: long Island, NY
Posts: 155
rgnbull1227 is on a distinguished road
2013 JKU Audio Complete Gut and Re-do Complete

I decided to tackle the complete gutting and re-installing the Audio System in my Jeep today. Took every bit of that Alpine "Premium" System out and rewired the entire system and all new components. Here is a list of the Audio products:
Pioneer Z150 Nav
Focal 165 front components
Focal 165 rear coaxial
Kenwood XR-4S running Focals 4 Ohm
JL Audio 10W6 in Sealed Box
Kenwood XR-1s running 2 OHM
Ran ALL NEW Speaker wire to front components and a rear Coaxials
Stuffed Poly in Speaker Pods and Sound Bar.
Installed XR4-S under Passenger seat and XR-1S on the Sub Enclosure for quick removal if needed.
I gotta say, the system slams. Great mids/highs. Imaging and soundstage is great, especially for a Jeep. Very impressed with the Focals. The JL Sub, well that thing just pounds. Hits really hard and its really clean. Very tight accurate Bass.

The only way to really make a JKU sound good is to gut the entire system and start over.
__________________
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Ferrari Nart Blue Kevlar Paint
rgnbull1227 is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:37 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
blueshound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 206
blueshound is on a distinguished road
Lets see some pics. Do you still have control of everything from the steering wheel?

blueshound is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:40 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
rgnbull1227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: long Island, NY
Posts: 155
rgnbull1227 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueshound View Post
Lets see some pics. Do you still have control of everything from the steering wheel?
ill take some in the AM. I have everything but the voice command. The Pioneer has that built in so not a big deal for me.
__________________
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Ferrari Nart Blue Kevlar Paint
rgnbull1227 is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Big Fran's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NE Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,192
Big Fran is on a distinguished road
Great!!!

I've had everything to do this to my JKU for over a month but I think it would take me a few days to run all the wires and get everything mounted. I hope when I get brave enough to start mine I can get it all finished in a day. I've been hoping to make friends with a stereo installer. LOL
__________________
2003 Jeep TJ Silver 4.0L, Auto, ARB locked 5.13 G2 D44's on 35's
1998 "GI Jeep2" TJ Desert Tan 4.0L 5-Speed, lifted on 33's (new frame)
1997 "GI Jeep" TJ OD Green 2.5L, 5-Speed, lifted on 33's
Big Fran is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
rgnbull1227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: long Island, NY
Posts: 155
rgnbull1227 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fran View Post
Great!!!

I've had everything to do this to my JKU for over a month but I think it would take me a few days to run all the wires and get everything mounted. I hope when I get brave enough to start mine I can get it all finished in a day. I've been hoping to make friends with a stereo installer. LOL
Shouldn't take all day. Knocked this out in 4-5 hours.
__________________
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Ferrari Nart Blue Kevlar Paint
rgnbull1227 is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
stevenj24k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 45
stevenj24k is on a distinguished road
excellent! just did the same thing to my 2012, albeit with some different components:
  • Pioneer AVIC-Z150BH GPS head unit with Sirius/XM tuner and iPhone 5 connection
  • Alpine PDX-V9 5 Channel 500(4)x100(1) Amp
  • Morel Tempo 2-way components for tweeters and front
  • Morel Tempo Coax in the sound bar
  • Alpine SBR-S8-4 pre loaded sub

could not be happier (except for bugginess of app mode on AVIC) - only wish i did it sooner -
stevenj24k is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #7
Supporting Member

5-Year WF Supporting Member
 
Big Fran's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: NE Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,192
Big Fran is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgnbull1227 View Post
Shouldn't take all day. Knocked this out in 4-5 hours.
I've never put a system in anything before. Seems like it would take much longer.
__________________
2003 Jeep TJ Silver 4.0L, Auto, ARB locked 5.13 G2 D44's on 35's
1998 "GI Jeep2" TJ Desert Tan 4.0L 5-Speed, lifted on 33's (new frame)
1997 "GI Jeep" TJ OD Green 2.5L, 5-Speed, lifted on 33's
Big Fran is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
blueshound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 206
blueshound is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgnbull1227 View Post

ill take some in the AM. I have everything but the voice command. The Pioneer has that built in so not a big deal for me.
Good to know most voice commands can't under stand my mumbling southern accent anyway.
blueshound is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:01 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
rgnbull1227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: long Island, NY
Posts: 155
rgnbull1227 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenj24k View Post
excellent! just did the same thing to my 2012, albeit with some different components:
  • Pioneer AVIC-Z150BH GPS head unit with Sirius/XM tuner and iPhone 5 connection
  • Alpine PDX-V9 5 Channel 500(4)x100(1) Amp
  • Morel Tempo 2-way components for tweeters and front
  • Morel Tempo Coax in the sound bar
  • Alpine SBR-S8-4 pre loaded sub

could not be happier (except for bugginess of app mode on AVIC) - only wish i did it sooner -
I have an old iPhone 4S that I leave connected in the glove box and it works great in ipod mode even if im running Rhapsody. Even shows the artwork from Rhapsody and I control through steering wheel or screen/buttons. Dont use yours in App mode, just use it in iPod mode.
__________________
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Ferrari Nart Blue Kevlar Paint
rgnbull1227 is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
stevenj24k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Northern California
Posts: 45
stevenj24k is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgnbull1227 View Post
I have an old iPhone 4S that I leave connected in the glove box and it works great in ipod mode even if im running Rhapsody. Even shows the artwork from Rhapsody and I control through steering wheel or screen/buttons. Dont use yours in App mode, just use it in iPod mode.
yeah - been debating that setup as well - i have an old 4S that i was gonna use as a standalone ipod and leave in the glovebox, but i also like having the lightening/hdmi connection for video output, charging, etc. and it was my understanding i can't have them both hooked up simultaneously and easily toggle back and forth. anyway, subject for another thread (now that i've hijacked). enjoy your new setup!!!
stevenj24k is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:58 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
rgnbull1227's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: long Island, NY
Posts: 155
rgnbull1227 is on a distinguished road
JL 10W6 in Sealed box. Powered by Kenwood XR-1S in 2 Ohm


Pioneer Screen using iPhone(iPod library) Everything on wheel works except Voice.


Using the Rhapsody App. Artwork etc and can control using the NAV or Steering wheel controls.


Focal Tweeter


Focal Mid


Focal Rear Coax


iPhone 4S permanently mounted in Glove Box.


Kenwood Amp under Passenger Seat
__________________
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Ferrari Nart Blue Kevlar Paint
rgnbull1227 is offline   Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 12:40 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
blueshound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 206
blueshound is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgnbull1227 View Post
JL 10W6 in Sealed box. Powered by Kenwood XR-1S in 2 Ohm

Pioneer Screen using iPhone(iPod library) Everything on wheel works except Voice.

Using the Rhapsody App. Artwork etc and can control using the NAV or Steering wheel controls.

Focal Tweeter

Focal Mid

Focal Rear Coax

iPhone 4S permanently mounted in Glove Box.

Kenwood Amp under Passenger Seat
Thanks for the pics.

blueshound is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:47 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC