I've been an audiophile since the early 90's, so when I turned up the stereo (which was aftermarket) in the Jeep, I knew I had to make some upgrades. The first thing I did was upgrade the front speaker with some Nalin adapters. They were good, but I wanted more front-fill and less speaker playing to my knees, so I decided to do something about it. Along with being an audiophile, I also do fiberglass/composite work. I figured I could do something pretty darn cool and push the envelope...and I think I did.
I started with the original a-pillar and got the form I wanted:
Then I did some test-fitting and set-up:
Then I made some molds and vacuum-bagged (using a custom latex bag) the pillar. I ended up having to do a split mold, but I don't have pictures of both sides:
Out of the mold, cleaned up and sprayed with Rustoleum bed liner:
I went with Polk Audio db401 speakers, just because I like Polk Audio.
Next up is making a new glovebox (less depth) to mount my amp behind, then I'll be working on the subwoofer box for inside the console.