Alpine INE-S920HD in a JK - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Communications and Electronics

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-23-2012, 12:23 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
bfgrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 77
Alpine INE-S920HD in a JK

Anyone using? Any issues with the install? Shows some modifications needed, and wanted to know if it fits well in the dash. Any info would be much appreciated. Thanks.

bfgrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
eboven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Black Hawk, CO
Posts: 667
That's a great unit, I've installed a few, though none into a JK. They are pretty standard in the double-DIN sizing so it should fit fine, after you cut out the sub-dash support bar on the top; this will be needed no matter what double-DIN you choose. I have always loved the clean look Alpine's give over any other brand, I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

eboven is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
bfgrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 77
awesome thanks.
bfgrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
37Olivestreetbrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Danbury
Posts: 164
This is on the top of my list as well. Hopefully if anyone installs this they would be willing to share their reviews and pearls.
37Olivestreetbrews is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Teamct17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 87
I actually just pirchased this navigation head unit this evening. I will have it installed at the place and will let yall know how everything goes!
Teamct17 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2013, 06:54 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
37Olivestreetbrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Danbury
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamct17
I actually just pirchased this navigation head unit this evening. I will have it installed at the place and will let yall know how everything goes!
Awesome I can't wait to hear how it works and how it makes your jeep sound.
37Olivestreetbrews is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2013, 06:55 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
37Olivestreetbrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Danbury
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamct17
I actually just pirchased this navigation head unit this evening. I will have it installed at the place and will let yall know how everything goes!
Where are you doing the install? I see your from Connecticut too.
37Olivestreetbrews is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2013, 11:41 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
Teamct17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 87
I purchased it at PC Richards in newington and the install will be pretty easy because i allready have an after market head unit in my jeep.
Teamct17 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2013, 07:49 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
37Olivestreetbrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Danbury
Posts: 164
How did your install go and how's your new unit sound?
37Olivestreetbrews is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Teamct17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 87
Well nothings simple these days. First it started with the guys i hadput in my previous aftermarket head unit not useing a harness to connect all the wires. So i than had to purchase a harnest. Its all set now and installed and looks great. In my opinion its much sharper than the oem RER head units. The problem now is figureing out the best place to put my bluetooth mic since the jeep is naturally really noisey especially on the highway. I will post pics tommorow morning for yall.
Teamct17 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2013, 06:50 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
37Olivestreetbrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Danbury
Posts: 164
Sweet. I've heard some people put the mic between the steering wheel and gauge cluster. I'd like to run mine to the A pillar and replace the original.
37Olivestreetbrews is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Teamct17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 87
Heres some pictures fellas!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1675746099.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	201358   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-337523188.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	201359  

Teamct17 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2013, 11:52 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
37Olivestreetbrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Danbury
Posts: 164
What year is your jeep? The surround on the radio looks different from my '12. Thanks for posting up the pics. How's it sound?
37Olivestreetbrews is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2013, 12:04 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
allblackedout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 660
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Olivestreetbrews
What year is your jeep? The surround on the radio looks different from my '12. Thanks for posting up the pics. How's it sound?
Its pre 2011 interior. still a JK i think.
__________________
no doors no problem
allblackedout is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2013, 02:39 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Teamct17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 87
Ive got a 2010 wrangler unlimited. Done a lot of work to this bad boy. 2.5 inch lift BFG mudT as well as some sharp chrome wheels. The outside had to match the inside which is why i decided to upgrade a little bit. It sounds great and looks amazing so far.
Teamct17 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
37Olivestreetbrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Danbury
Posts: 164
Well I just pulled the trigger and ordered the Alpine INE S920HD HU. Also picked up the power pack KTP 445 Amp on eBay. Hope to install in the next few weeks. Will also be adding a back up camera that I need to figure out where to mount.
37Olivestreetbrews is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 08:41 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Teamct17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Olivestreetbrews View Post
Well I just pulled the trigger and ordered the Alpine INE S920HD HU. Also picked up the power pack KTP 445 Amp on eBay. Hope to install in the next few weeks. Will also be adding a back up camera that I need to figure out where to mount.
Ive got this and its terrific! Didnt want to install back up camera because its an additional like 250 plus installation. Not worth it i think. They place it near the license plate and center it off that.
Teamct17 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-12-2013, 10:00 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
37Olivestreetbrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Danbury
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamct17 View Post

Ive got this and its terrific! Didnt want to install back up camera because its an additional like 250 plus installation. Not worth it i think. They place it near the license plate and center it off that.
Awesome. I'm doing the install on everything. Got a serious case of the DIY bug. Not sure if I will install camera off spare tire or bumper. Did you do a video bypass? I got most of the stuff from crutchfield and the camera and Sirius antenna from amazon.
37Olivestreetbrews is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Teamct17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Olivestreetbrews View Post

Awesome. I'm doing the install on everything. Got a serious case of the DIY bug. Not sure if I will install camera off spare tire or bumper. Did you do a video bypass? I got most of the stuff from crutchfield and the camera and Sirius antenna from amazon.
When i go into reverse it shows a black screen and than when in drive it goes back to audio. Im no tech guy when it comes to wireing but did you pick up the installation kit along with a harness?
Teamct17 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 03:11 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
37Olivestreetbrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Danbury
Posts: 164
I ordered the PAC harness that keeps the steering wheel controls. Ill let you know when I install what happens. Do you lose audio when in reverse or just the screen?
37Olivestreetbrews is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 03:25 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
Teamct17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Olivestreetbrews View Post
I ordered the PAC harness that keeps the steering wheel controls. Ill let you know when I install what happens. Do you lose audio when in reverse or just the screen?
Just the screen. Audio stays as normal. I will say its very confuseing to operate and you can only change settings when parked.
Teamct17 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
37Olivestreetbrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Danbury
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teamct17 View Post
Just the screen. Audio stays as normal. I will say its very confuseing to operate and you can only change settings when parked.
There is a bypass you can wire in which I have ordered to allow for access to settings while in motion and the ability to watch video in motion. For me it's not so much wanting to watch a video while moving (that's lunacy my friend). but I am thinking about my son who is less than a year now who will be able to watch a movie from his car seat that is in the middle position.
37Olivestreetbrews is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 03-13-2013, 09:14 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
Teamct17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Olivestreetbrews View Post

There is a bypass you can wire in which I have ordered to allow for access to settings while in motion and the ability to watch video in motion. For me it's not so much wanting to watch a video while moving (that's lunacy my friend). but I am thinking about my son who is less than a year now who will be able to watch a movie from his car seat that is in the middle position.
Lol yes i do have that installed as well. Couldnt take haveing to park when entering an address on my gps!
Teamct17 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-14-2013, 04:06 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
37Olivestreetbrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Danbury
Posts: 164
Got it all hooked up. Sounds amazing. A

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1219416500.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	236065
37Olivestreetbrews is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-14-2013, 12:25 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 25
Hi All,

Any input on the difficulty installing this head unit in a 2013 Wrangler that just has the low end stock head unit with the premium sound system?

I have no experience doing any of this, but am open to giving it a try.. especially if I save a few hundred on installation

Thanks!

Dan
Naiche is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-14-2013, 12:27 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 25
Also, anyone have any idea what installation costs at say Best Buy? Approx?
Naiche is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-30-2013, 08:02 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 72
Got a couple questions if you guys don't mind.

Does it use the factory mic?
Anyone know the kit number to diable the park to change settings?
Do you lose any of the steering wheel controls on the 21+? Uconnect or the buttons on the back of the steering wheel?
Anyone try using a forward facing camera? Would be nice when you don't have a spotter and are out in the trails. Thanks
sbpunk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-30-2013, 08:09 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
37Olivestreetbrews's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Danbury
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpunk View Post
Got a couple questions if you guys don't mind.

Does it use the factory mic?
Anyone know the kit number to diable the park to change settings?
Do you lose any of the steering wheel controls on the 21+? Uconnect or the buttons on the back of the steering wheel?
Anyone try using a forward facing camera? Would be nice when you don't have a spotter and are out in the trails. Thanks
I have this HU and love it. You will need to order the correct harness (check Crutchfield) to keep the steering wheel controls. The only uconnect buttons you lose are the voice activation and the phone pick up button. These buttons do have functionality with the head unit though -they turn into a mute button. All other controls are kept. I installed an alpine camera but mounted it on the rear bumper. Get a parking bypass and that way the camera feature as a spotter would work. It also allows you to enter a navi address in on the fly without putting jeep in park.
37Olivestreetbrews is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-30-2013, 09:37 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by 37Olivestreetbrews View Post
I have this HU and love it. You will need to order the correct harness (check Crutchfield) to keep the steering wheel controls. The only uconnect buttons you lose are the voice activation and the phone pick up button. These buttons do have functionality with the head unit though -they turn into a mute button. All other controls are kept. I installed an alpine camera but mounted it on the rear bumper. Get a parking bypass and that way the camera feature as a spotter would work. It also allows you to enter a navi address in on the fly without putting jeep in park.
Damn that sucks about the steering wheel controls. Oh well its not like I use them that often anyway. Where did you find the parking break bypass at? I havent been able to find it anywheres.
sbpunk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-30-2013, 09:43 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbpunk View Post
Damn that sucks about the steering wheel controls. Oh well its not like I use them that often anyway. Where did you find the parking break bypass at? I havent been able to find it anywheres.
Just wire the parking brake lead to a switched ground.

__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
alpine ine-s920hd

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:38 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC