Best "Unobtrusive" Subwoofer? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Communications and Electronics

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-30-2013, 04:07 AM   #1
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Question Best "Unobtrusive" Subwoofer?

Hello, I'm looking to buy a 2-door JK Wrangler. Noticing the unique Wrangler layout of the back basically being flat (I won't have my rear seats in), I feel like a subwoofer just sitting there would look weird and get in the way. This being the case, I'm looking for a decent subwoofer that won't be a burden on my cargo space much like the factory installed "premium sound" package's subwoofer (like this). I'd even settle for a bassy sound bar. Recommendations?
Rmoran is offline   Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Neral22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: St. Pete
Posts: 952
I put a "boss" 8" flat sub under my passanger seat. It sounds great, has an amp in it already. $100. No its not competition, but it throws plenty of bass to fill the voids. Also get aftermarket speakers and head unit. Im glad I did.

__________________
It's better to regret something you did do, than to regret something you didn't do.
Neral22 is offline   Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Jma20a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 3,046
do a search, there are many threads on this topic.
__________________
Dear Algebra, Please stop asking us to find your X. She's never coming back and don't ask Y.
Jma20a is offline   Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 02:08 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmoran View Post
Hello, I'm looking to buy a 2-door JK Wrangler. Noticing the unique Wrangler layout of the back basically being flat (I won't have my rear seats in), I feel like a subwoofer just sitting there would look weird and get in the way. This being the case, I'm looking for a decent subwoofer that won't be a burden on my cargo space much like the factory installed "premium sound" package's subwoofer (like this). I'd even settle for a bassy sound bar. Recommendations?
You can put up to a 10" sub under each front seat. I know because I have two 10" Sundown SD-2s, one under each seat. I have made several others for people with Rockford Fosgate 10s, Alpine Type R 10s and the new JL Audio shallow 10.

No big box in the back and excellent bass performance with the top off.
Mattk11 is offline   Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:42 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Luck881's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pembroke, Ontario
Posts: 68
Yesterday I installed a Kenwood KSC-SW11 under my drivers seat. It fit perfectly between the seat mounting points.

Kenwood KSC-SW11 Compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com
__________________
'05 TJ SE, 2.4L, NSG-370, NP-231, D30/35, Procomp 2(+)", KM2 33x12.5", TAG Flat fender flares, ZJ steering, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Airraid, Cobra 75WXST, super-comfy racing seats. On the garage floor: axles, JKS 1.25 BB, BMML, Rockkrawler T-case skid, .75" spring spacers...
Luck881 is offline   Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
BrunoBronosky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck881 View Post
Yesterday I installed a Kenwood KSC-SW11 under my drivers seat. It fit perfectly between the seat mounting points.

Kenwood KSC-SW11 Compact powered subwoofer at Crutchfield.com
Do you have to remove the seat to get it in and out? I view that as a positive thing. Makes it harder to steal.
BrunoBronosky is offline   Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:56 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoBronosky View Post
Do you have to remove the seat to get it in and out? I view that as a positive thing. Makes it harder to steal.
I'm curious about this too. I'm looking to upgrade my sub real soon.
jjk454ss is offline   Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:03 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
JCDriller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattk11 View Post
You can put up to a 10" sub under each front seat. I know because I have two 10" Sundown SD-2s, one under each seat. I have made several others for people with Rockford Fosgate 10s, Alpine Type R 10s and the new JL Audio shallow 10.

No big box in the back and excellent bass performance with the top off.
I've even got on of Matt's 8" boxes new if you want to relocate your factory sub under your seat. I'll cut you a heck of a deal on it I'm going with a 10" SD-3 sub and RF amp.
__________________
BRUZER 2014 Hydro Blue JKU >>BUILD THREAD HERE<< 3.5" Rock Krawler X-Factor lift, Rancho 9000XLs, Nitto 35" TG, built front Rubi D44, REIDs, RCVs, 4.88s, Full Rock Hard/PSC evap skid, LOD gen 4 rear bumper w/ carrier and Rigids, FMF Apex Pinnacle front bumper w/ WARN 10s. Custom cargo drawer, tailgate table & pressurized water, Uniden Bearcat 980SS CB, 3' Firestick, 7" CCTV rear view monitor, 10" Sundown SD-3 under driver's seat, RF PBR500x1 amp, JW Speakers. Plus one amazing GSD!
JCDriller is offline   Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 05:22 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCDriller View Post
I've even got on of Matt's 8" boxes new if you want to relocate your factory sub under your seat. I'll cut you a heck of a deal on it I'm going with a 10" SD-3 sub and RF amp.
Hey JC, I know you don't mean put the actual crappy cheap factory subs under the seat. That enclosure you are selling is made for a Sundown SD-2 8". That 8" will outperform most shallow 10" subs on the market. It is an excellent SQ sub with outstanding output.
Mattk11 is offline   Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:26 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
JCDriller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 1,014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattk11 View Post
Hey JC, I know you don't mean put the actual crappy cheap factory subs under the seat. That enclosure you are selling is made for a Sundown SD-2 8". That 8" will outperform most shallow 10" subs on the market. It is an excellent SQ sub with outstanding output.
I'm not that knowledgable about stereos, I did assume you could just relocate the factory sub using a 8" box. I certainly don't disagree that it's worth upgrading, which is what I chose to do. I assumed some may just want to relocate their factory woofer.
__________________
BRUZER 2014 Hydro Blue JKU >>BUILD THREAD HERE<< 3.5" Rock Krawler X-Factor lift, Rancho 9000XLs, Nitto 35" TG, built front Rubi D44, REIDs, RCVs, 4.88s, Full Rock Hard/PSC evap skid, LOD gen 4 rear bumper w/ carrier and Rigids, FMF Apex Pinnacle front bumper w/ WARN 10s. Custom cargo drawer, tailgate table & pressurized water, Uniden Bearcat 980SS CB, 3' Firestick, 7" CCTV rear view monitor, 10" Sundown SD-3 under driver's seat, RF PBR500x1 amp, JW Speakers. Plus one amazing GSD!
JCDriller is offline   Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 02:50 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 298
Good to know a 10in sub will fit under the front seats. Where did you mount your amp with subs under the seats?

JL audio has a sub enclosure that fits on the rear tire well
NC25T is offline   Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
Good to know a 10in sub will fit under the front seats. Where did you mount your amp with subs under the seats? JL audio has a sub enclosure that fits on the rear tire well
Amps fit up under the dash. Yes JL has a nice "stealth box" that isn't stealth. It isn't a great solution if you have a cover on your rear storage space in the summer but it sounds great with the top on. I've replaced a couple of them here locally for people. But it should be noted that the seat brackets are different in the 2 door than the 4 door so there is limited space in a 2 door for under seat subs. I think only one of those dinky 8" all-in-one kicker type boxes might work.
Mattk11 is offline   Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 298
Thanks for the info!

Local shop had a jeep in doing one of the $700 stealth boxes..... As states not so stealthy! I stopped by the audio shop a few days before I ordered my JKU to see what they have done in them. They had two 2015's that they were doing systems in ... I wasn't able to stop by when they were completed to listen to them

Excellent ideas with the 10's under the seat and amp under the dash....
NC25T is offline   Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:44 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC25T View Post
Thanks for the info! Local shop had a jeep in doing one of the $700 stealth boxes..... As states not so stealthy! I stopped by the audio shop a few days before I ordered my JKU to see what they have done in them. They had two 2015's that they were doing systems in ... I wasn't able to stop by when they were completed to listen to them Excellent ideas with the 10's under the seat and amp under the dash....
$700 is a great price for a Stealthbox. The couple of guys I know that used to have them paid $900 plus install. Install ended up being $200-300 and a pain because they had to buy extra trim pieces for the back that added a couple more hundred. Luckily they kept the old stuff when they dropped my enclosures in.
Mattk11 is offline   Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 09:10 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 26
Mattk11's enclosure is no joke. I'll be installing my this weekend and will get pics up soon.
nirwhistlr is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:04 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Weatherford, TX
Posts: 93
Subwoofer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmoran View Post
Hello, I'm looking to buy a 2-door JK Wrangler. Noticing the unique Wrangler layout of the back basically being flat (I won't have my rear seats in), I feel like a subwoofer just sitting there would look weird and get in the way. This being the case, I'm looking for a decent subwoofer that won't be a burden on my cargo space much like the factory installed "premium sound" package's subwoofer (like this). I'd even settle for a bassy sound bar. Recommendations?

Buy a 2015-16 and they come "unobtrusive" and sound great!

Gary
xsf18cdf is offline   Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:46 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
mfdacosta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattk11 View Post
You can put up to a 10" sub under each front seat. I know because I have two 10" Sundown SD-2s, one under each seat. I have made several others for people with Rockford Fosgate 10s, Alpine Type R 10s and the new JL Audio shallow 10. No big box in the back and excellent bass performance with the top off.
Great info Mattk11!! Love the Sundown SA-2s under the seats. What enclosure did you use for these? Also any suggestions on a decent 5 channel amp to power these plus the front and soundbar speakers? Leaning toward Rockford p1000x5.
mfdacosta is offline   Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 693
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfdacosta View Post
Great info Mattk11!! Love the Sundown SA-2s under the seats. What enclosure did you use for these? Also any suggestions on a decent 5 channel amp to power these plus the front and soundbar speakers? Leaning toward Rockford p1000x5.
I custom made fiberglass enclosures that fit the seat pan and inside the seat brackets. Gives me .6 cu ft and fits the newer Sundown SD-3 10" shallow sub. I power my pair with an Alpine 1100 watt sub amp, then run a separate 4 channel Arc Audio amp for my main speakers.
Mattk11 is offline   Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 08:04 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
mfdacosta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Tampa Bay
Posts: 115
Nice! Do you sell those custom enclosures?

mfdacosta is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:29 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC