Well took me about an hour after work, of course it's all I thought about at work, but I got my Panasonic HU in my 05 X. First and foremost I want to thank Zybeon and s3nt3nc3d for all their information, it really helped out a tremendously.
Tips for future installers:
1. Like Zybeon says, Do as much wiring before you get started as possible. I didn't solder, but I crimped and then taped because I had a little wire showing and I wanted to tape the whole connection just in case of moisture.
2. The bolt in the back is hard as $%@& to get off
. I would say getting this off was a larger percentage of the whole installation. I tried everything and just when I thought I'd never get it, I was able to get it by hand somehow. I wish I could give tips on how to get it off but I can't figure it out for the life of me.
3. The bolt they gave me for my new HU was not even close to the bracket it is supposed to attach to. There was a lot of bending and folding of that piece to get the HU in nice and snug. There was a lot of space. I ended up using two of those cable bundling plastic ties (the handcuff things) [that phrase sums up my knowledge of car audio equipment] to fasten it to the bracket. I ended up moving the wires and then all of a sudden it like fell into place. Take your time to make sure it is going to fit once you get it in there.
4. Like s3nt3nc3d mentioned his HU had a little extra room around the mount. Mine did as well and if I remember to take a picture that'll show a fix, kinda. I took a piece of black foam that I had laying around from trying to winterize my apartment door and tucked it in between the mount and HU which was probably .25 of an inch. I just did it at night so I'm not sure how it looks in the daytime but it fit perfectly and definitely made it fit better.
I got antsy because I had dinner plans and it was starting to get dark, I was doing this in my apartment complex. So make sure you have plenty of time as to not get so frustrated with that @#!%ING bolt. I also got caught between wanting to re-connect the battery to make sure it work, then being nervous when moving all the wires around to get the HU in the right spot. But it all worked out...
This was an awesome upgrade. Especially with my new Pioneers 6.5s in the sound bar. I can't believe I used to think the stock stereo was decent, it blows. Now I'll get some $50 front speakers and be set. I would recommend this to anyone that enjoys hearing their music with the top down. And if you have any basic tinkering knowledge you can pull it off, thanks to people like Zybeon and s3nt3nc3d for taking their knowledge and time to help complete strangers out. Thanks again guys, hope someone reads this because it's the longest post I've ever made.