Factory Radio with Sirius replacement - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Communications and Electronics

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-08-2012, 02:39 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
topshotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 16
Factory Radio with Sirius replacement

I have a 2012 Sahara that came with the upgraded radio package. Infinity Speakers and sub, I also have SiriusXM Satellite Radio w/ 1-Yr Radio Subscription which ends in June. I am looking to replace the my factory 130 HU, with a Pioneer avh-2400bt and have a few questions

1. Since I already have satellite radio, will I be able to connect my new radio to the satellite antenna? and where is the antenna located?

2. The subscription is tied to a radio ID, when I install my new radio I will have to call Sirius Will they still honor the 1 yr free? since I changed the factory radio.

I really like the AVh-2400bt, main reason for upgrade is the option for a rearview camera, cannot see anything when reversing due to lift and rear tire.

topshotta is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 04:01 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Jma20a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 3,046
i dont think it would be an issue transferring the account, i have no clue where the antenna wire is, so im no help for that part. i like the plug-n-play sirius unit, that way i can bring it inside and connect to my theater system and i have a portable sirius boom box.

__________________
Dear Algebra, Please stop asking us to find your X. She's never coming back and don't ask Y.
Jma20a is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
topshotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 16
Another reason for asking the quesiton is. I do not know if I need to buy the extra Sirius antenna that is needed to for and aftermarket radio which is almost $100, or If I can plug the one I already have into an aftermarket radio such as the Pioneer avh-2400bt
topshotta is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshotta View Post
The subscription is tied to a radio ID, when I install my new radio I will have to call Sirius Will they still honor the 1 yr free? since I changed the factory radio.
It's a huge YMMV getting Sirius to transfer over the trial program. At first they'll say it's not transferrable. Then they claim the dealer will need to call them to authorize it.

I finally elevated the issue to a manager and they agreed to the transfer.

The factory antenna connector is combined GPS and Satelitte.
davefr is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
topshotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 16
Davefr,

I assume you switch out your Head Unit, hence the need for a transfer. Were you able to plug the factory gps/satelitte connector into your new radio?
Where is it located. I thought it would be under the front passenger or driveside rocker panels, I just looked under the foam and it is not there
topshotta is offline   Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 195
Quote:
Originally Posted by topshotta View Post
Davefr,

I assume you switch out your Head Unit, hence the need for a transfer. Were you able to plug the factory gps/satelitte connector into your new radio?
Where is it located. I thought it would be under the front passenger or driveside rocker panels, I just looked under the foam and it is not there
Yes, I switched from the stock RES radio to a 430N RHB Nav Radio. It was 100% plug and play.

I believe the combined Sirius/GPS antenna is located in the overhead roll bar unit. The connector is obviously just behind the radio unit.
davefr is offline   Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Lynskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 816
Few answers...

If you go with the Pioneer unit, you need the radio tuner and the Bus interface module.

If you swap factory HU then you just plug and play.

You use the factory antenna and plug into the radio tuner, then the interface module then into the HU. The antenna is in the rollbar and the wire runs underneath the dash behind the glove box.

As far as subscriptions you need to talk with the dealer to try and have the contract swapped over to a new radio ID number. Hit or miss but more like miss on that part.

if you go like I did and get a lifetime subscription, you can swap HU ID numbers 3 times for a fee of $75 each time. I did that like 4 years ago and swapped to a new HU when I got the Jeep. I used all of my previous parts such as the tuner and interface from my previous HU.

Take a look at the HU on the Pioneer page to see what it needs. Depends on if you want Sirius or XM - that will drive the correct parts needed.
__________________
2012 Dozer JK Sahara
Lynskey is online now   Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
eboven's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Black Hawk, CO
Posts: 673
A bit more in depth answers for your questions...

1) The factory antenna probably will not work with the aftermarket system for XM signal; a new one is included with the Satellite tuners, so you would need to run a new one - the best place to put it on Wranglers is the underneath the padding on the soundbar. As Lynskey said, you will also need a satellite tuner (SCC1) and Pioneer translator (CD-SB10) to get Sirius radio, or the Pioneer XM module (GEX-P920XM) for XM radio with that unit. Either of these options will set you back 75-150 bucks depending on where you get it.

The AVH-P2400BT looks like it uses last year's method for getting satellite radio, so getting those parts may be hard to do without a bit of searching. I don't know how set you are on that particular unit, but I would suggest going with a different radio if you want to keep your SiriusXM - the new aftermarket radio's use a cheaper and simpler method for receiving satellite broadcasts. I would look into Kenwood's multi-media units if you haven't already; the DDX419 and and the DDX719 would be my choices for Non-Navigation touch-screen radio's. They both have Bluetooth, iPod control, back-up camera inputs, and will play DVD or video; the main difference is the screen size - the 719 has a much larger motorized screen. I also like Kenwood's over the Pioneer because of the 4 volt pre-outs - the Pioneer only has 2 volt pre-outs, meaning a smaller signal to noise ratio... the Kenwood will sound a bit better.

If you want to add satellite radio to either of the Kenwoods, you just need the SiriusXM SXV200 tuner, which retails for $70.


2) Getting the accounts transferred probably won't happen. The free trail is only for your original radio's hardware. As others have said, you might be able to convince someone somewhere to transfer it for you, but it's extremely unlikely, and most people will just tell you it isn't possible.
eboven is offline   Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 09:43 PM   #9
_3m
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
_3m's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: pittsburgh, Pa
Posts: 2,776
If you threaten to cancel the subscription siriusXm folds. They are losing more business than they care to admit. If you push the issue they'll do it, I actually got 6 months extended for free
__________________
Life isn't about how you survive the storm, but how you dance in the rain
_3m is offline   Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:32 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
Lynskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 816
Quote:
Originally Posted by eboven View Post
A bit more in depth answers for your questions...

1) The factory antenna probably will not work with the aftermarket system for XM signal; a new one is included with the Satellite tuners, so you would need to run a new one - the best place to put it on Wranglers is the underneath the padding on the soundbar. As Lynskey said, you will also need a satellite tuner (SCC1) and Pioneer translator (CD-SB10) to get Sirius radio, or the Pioneer XM module (GEX-P920XM) for XM radio with that unit. Either of these options will set you back 75-150 bucks depending on where you get it.

The AVH-P2400BT looks like it uses last year's method for getting satellite radio, so getting those parts may be hard to do without a bit of searching. I don't know how set you are on that particular unit, but I would suggest going with a different radio if you want to keep your SiriusXM - the new aftermarket radio's use a cheaper and simpler method for receiving satellite broadcasts. I would look into Kenwood's multi-media units if you haven't already; the DDX419 and and the DDX719 would be my choices for Non-Navigation touch-screen radio's. They both have Bluetooth, iPod control, back-up camera inputs, and will play DVD or video; the main difference is the screen size - the 719 has a much larger motorized screen. I also like Kenwood's over the Pioneer because of the 4 volt pre-outs - the Pioneer only has 2 volt pre-outs, meaning a smaller signal to noise ratio... the Kenwood will sound a bit better.

If you want to add satellite radio to either of the Kenwoods, you just need the SiriusXM SXV200 tuner, which retails for $70.


2) Getting the accounts transferred probably won't happen. The free trail is only for your original radio's hardware. As others have said, you might be able to convince someone somewhere to transfer it for you, but it's extremely unlikely, and most people will just tell you it isn't possible.
x2
__________________
2012 Dozer JK Sahara
Lynskey is online now   Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:58 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
topshotta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 16
E-Boven,

Thanks for the info, I was looking at the Kenwood as an option, as I like having a turn knob and the 4 volt pre-outs. This really helps.

topshotta is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC