Finally Going To Do The Sound Upgrade - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > Communications and Electronics

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #61
Jeeper
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Of Heaven
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple88a View Post
???
what?

__________________
"ONE FOOT IN THE GUTTER, ONE FIST IN THE GOLD"
-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-03-2009, 04:51 PM   #62
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN View Post
what?
i dont know, what are u sleeping about?

Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2009, 10:08 PM   #63
Jeeper
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Of Heaven
Posts: 1,210
I didn't understand your comment. Sarcasm? It put me to sleep. Don't worry about it.
__________________
"ONE FOOT IN THE GUTTER, ONE FIST IN THE GOLD"
-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2009, 01:48 AM   #64
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN View Post
I didn't understand your comment. Sarcasm? It put me to sleep. Don't worry about it.
you dont know what noise canceling unit is?
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2009, 03:15 AM   #65
Jeeper
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Of Heaven
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple88a View Post
you dont know what noise canceling unit is?
I guess not. What are you talking about?

I bought a 160GB Hard Drive for the TJ today. That's what I'll end up using for a music source. It has the capcity to hold all my CD's at Lossless, and plenty of room for more. It's very small and will fit in the glove box. Take a look.

The only concern that I have is if it will skip. Is anyone using a HD as a music source, and how well do they handle? I can't imagine it skipping any worse that a CD, probably not even that much.
Attached Images
   
__________________
"ONE FOOT IN THE GUTTER, ONE FIST IN THE GOLD"
-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-06-2009, 05:14 PM   #66
Registered User
 
NalinMFG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 940
Send a message via AIM to NalinMFG Send a message via MSN to NalinMFG Send a message via Yahoo to NalinMFG
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN View Post
Great Info TigerTrack! Thanks again.
I just ordered the 5.25" conversion plates. I guess I just committed myself to keeping the 5.25" Kappa's for the dash. I just hope I'm not getting in over my head. I'm not really comfortable with cutting away metal on the inside of my dash. That piece MUST support something, right? Do you know what? Will it weaken my dash in any way, or is it just a support for the 4x6's? Will I ever be able to use the 4x6 mounts again if I want/need to?

The other thing I'm leery about is the wiring of the crossover. I understand what the crossover does, but I have no clue on how to wire it in. Can someone who has done this explain it a bit please? Do I need extra stuff that isn't already in there?
i totally forgot i had pics of the dash internals...

__________________


NalinMFG.com

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters
Facebook Like for a 10% coupon

100% Made in USA
NalinMFG is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2009, 03:33 AM   #67
Jeeper
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Of Heaven
Posts: 1,210
My Kappas finally came in today. I only had time to insatll the 5.25" in the dash. WOW, what a difference! They put those Pioneer and Sonys to shame. The sound is crystal clear. They really pick up the highs, (that's good, I'll need that once I install my Subs) and they also bring an accurate tone to the bass. When I say bass, I mean bass guitar, not rap bass. I played bass for 9 years, and it's very rare that I hear car speakers that pick up a true tone for bass. These really do, and I am so far pleased. Mario had mentioned that he thought they sounded distorted. I'm wondering if he got a bad set, or maybe his HU is just pushing to hard. I haven't heard any distortion with mine, at least not yet. At one point, I thought I had, but then just realized it was the foot pedal being used on the high-hat. I haven't heard too many car speakers that bring that sound out clearly (if at all) either. I'm guessing it does because of how well it brings out the highs. I dunno, but I like them.

I'll probably install the 6.5" Kappas in the SoundBar tomorrow. That should sound pretty good, and LOUD. Now that I see how much extra, and better sound that the 5.25" brought, I'm wondering if I went overkill by decideing to order that amp for the 4. Well, I guess it's better to have too much sound than not enough, right? Or, it might just barely have the right amount of power to keep up with the Subs that are coming. We'll see.

Heres a few pics from the install.

THE CUT...



MOUNTED, WIRED, AND READY...



THE INSTALL...



ALL DONE!



Okay works done for the day, LET'S ALL GO TO THE BAR!
__________________
"ONE FOOT IN THE GUTTER, ONE FIST IN THE GOLD"
-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2009, 12:04 PM   #68
Registered User
 
NalinMFG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 940
Send a message via AIM to NalinMFG Send a message via MSN to NalinMFG Send a message via Yahoo to NalinMFG
looks nice!
__________________


NalinMFG.com

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters
Facebook Like for a 10% coupon

100% Made in USA
NalinMFG is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2009, 01:07 PM   #69
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN View Post
I guess not. What are you talking about
A noise canceling device has a device that listens to stuff that is not in the music like road noise and then whatever it picks up, it reverses it so when the 2 wave lenghts met, they cancel out. In a car this can significantly remove road noise. This will require your speakers to play the road noise but the over all effect is quieter ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN View Post
Mario had mentioned that he thought they sounded distorted. I'm wondering if he got a bad set, or maybe his HU is just pushing to hard. I haven't heard any distortion with mine, at least not yet.
Was he running an amp? If yes i assume his head unit was turned on to the max output but his amp was turned down very low = distortion


also his crossover could have been set wrong along with his equalizer..
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2009, 01:13 PM   #70
Jeeper
 
RobinHood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 60
yes! very nice! smooth operation!

i finally managed to order my speakers today. in fact, i just got off a seemingly endless conversation with crutchfield right now. i'm telling you, you people can be glad you live in the states, it's apparently a MAJOR HASSLE to order anything from crutchfield with an international credit card. first, you have to find someone to accept the shipment for you in the states because they don't ship internationally (thank god for some friends in LA!), then you HAVE to place the order on the phone with a crutchfield rep which takes ages with all the questions they ask, and after that they find it still necessary to call the person you're shipping to in the states (at that very address and non-mobile phone number) in order to confirm that that person actually exists. oh, and they will also call AMEX in switzerland to double check on me, i.e. if i really have the card with the number i told them and if it's okay to charge that card now................ DUDE!

don't they have electronic systems for shit like that by now? and why, if they go through all this hassle of even calling the swiss credit card issuer, why then can they not just ship those darned speakers to switzerland directly, simply rejecting any warranty claims (as they do anyway when the merchanise leave the US), and call it a day?!?

well now, let's calm down... it's really not thaaat bad, the people at crutchfield were actually extremely nice, their security checks just seemed a little too CIA for my taste, the more so as ordering from places like quadratec or countless other online stores is a breeze, even from europe.

still looking very much forward to my kappas! hallelujah!
RobinHood is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-07-2009, 06:04 PM   #71
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
they dont have any audio stores in Switzerland? When i used to live in Bulgaria, you go to the stores, you have bigger selection than even here in the us since they dont have all the stupid laws like they do here.
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2009, 04:10 AM   #72
Jeeper
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Of Heaven
Posts: 1,210
I finally received everything I need to complete the job. The Subs, Both Amps, The Hard Drive, and the Baffles. (which I'm still debating on using or not)

The only thing I had time for tonight was to install the 6.5" Kappas into the SoundBar. They sound good, just like the 5.25" Kappas in the dash. I think I preffer the 5.25" though. They have better highs, while the 6.5" have abit more throat.

I probably won't get around to completing everything else for about another week or so. I'll post pics when it's all done.
Thanks to everyone for all the ideas, input, and help.


* A quick note about the 5.25" Kappas for Robin and whoever else is considering them:
My front left went out this evening. Both worked great last night while testing, I didn't drive it today, and tonight when I was testing the 6.5" I noticed DISTORTION & POPPING. I didn't push them very hard last night, so I can't understand it. It goes away when I turn them up, which also doesn't make any sense. The front right is fine at any level, so it can't be a HU type thing. The 6.5" in the SoundBar are okay, so far. We'll see how it goes. So watch them carefully if you have them, or order them.
I'm calling Crutchfield in the morning and will make them send me out a new pair. I liked them enough to give them 1 more shot. If one fails again, it's refund time!

PS.
If any of you are considering a Hard Drive for a Music Source, this one I just bought is pretty nice. 160GB of storage will let you put thousands of songs on there, even at 320kbps. Its only power source is USB, so it turns on when your Jeep stereo does. And it's not even as big as your hand, so you put it in your glove box, pocket, whatever. As far as I can tell, this loads just as fast as a ThumbDrive. I'm still waiting to test it on the HU though, so I will let you know what happens. But if you have an extra $55, are sick of carring around your CDs, and your HU is compatable, you might check it out. It's a Western Digital, and you can find it at Walmart online. (it's the only one of its size by WD)







__________________
"ONE FOOT IN THE GUTTER, ONE FIST IN THE GOLD"
-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2009, 04:16 AM   #73
Jeeper
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Of Heaven
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinHood View Post
yes! very nice! smooth operation!

i finally managed to order my speakers today. in fact, i just got off a seemingly endless conversation with crutchfield right now. i'm telling you, you people can be glad you live in the states, it's apparently a MAJOR HASSLE to order anything from crutchfield with an international credit card. first, you have to find someone to accept the shipment for you in the states because they don't ship internationally (thank god for some friends in LA!), then you HAVE to place the order on the phone with a crutchfield rep which takes ages with all the questions they ask, and after that they find it still necessary to call the person you're shipping to in the states (at that very address and non-mobile phone number) in order to confirm that that person actually exists. oh, and they will also call AMEX in switzerland to double check on me, i.e. if i really have the card with the number i told them and if it's okay to charge that card now................ DUDE!

don't they have electronic systems for shit like that by now? and why, if they go through all this hassle of even calling the swiss credit card issuer, why then can they not just ship those darned speakers to switzerland directly, simply rejecting any warranty claims (as they do anyway when the merchanise leave the US), and call it a day?!?

well now, let's calm down... it's really not thaaat bad, the people at crutchfield were actually extremely nice, their security checks just seemed a little too CIA for my taste, the more so as ordering from places like quadratec or countless other online stores is a breeze, even from europe.

still looking very much forward to my kappas! hallelujah!
WHAT A F*CKING PAIN IN THE ARSH!

__________________
"ONE FOOT IN THE GUTTER, ONE FIST IN THE GOLD"
-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2009, 04:18 AM   #74
Jeeper
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Of Heaven
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertrack1600m View Post
looks nice!
Thank you.
I really appreciate your help TigerTrack.
__________________
"ONE FOOT IN THE GUTTER, ONE FIST IN THE GOLD"
-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2009, 07:10 AM   #75
Jeeper
 
RobinHood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKTOOTHGRIN View Post
I finally received everything I need to complete the job. The Subs, Both Amps, The Hard Drive, and the Baffles. (which I'm still debating on using or not)

The only thing I had time for tonight was to install the 6.5" Kappas into the SoundBar. They sound good, just like the 5.25" Kappas in the dash. I think I preffer the 5.25" though. They have better highs, while the 6.5" have abit more throat.

I probably won't get around to completing everything else for about another week or so. I'll post pics when it's all done.
Thanks to everyone for all the ideas, input, and help.


* A quick note about the 5.25" Kappas for Robin and whoever else is considering them:
My front left went out this evening. Both worked great last night while testing, I didn't drive it today, and tonight when I was testing the 6.5" I noticed DISTORTION & POPPING. I didn't push them very hard last night, so I can't understand it. It goes away when I turn them up, which also doesn't make any sense. The front right is fine at any level, so it can't be a HU type thing. The 6.5" in the SoundBar are okay, so far. We'll see how it goes. So watch them carefully if you have them, or order them.
I'm calling Crutchfield in the morning and will make them send me out a new pair. I liked them enough to give them 1 more shot. If one fails again, it's refund time!

PS.
If any of you are considering a Hard Drive for a Music Source, this one I just bought is pretty nice. 160GB of storage will let you put thousands of songs on there, even at 320kbps. Its only power source is USB, so it turns on when your Jeep stereo does. And it's not even as big as your hand, so you put it in your glove box, pocket, whatever. As far as I can tell, this loads just as fast as a ThumbDrive. I'm still waiting to test it on the HU though, so I will let you know what happens. But if you have an extra $55, are sick of carring around your CDs, and your HU is compatable, you might check it out. It's a Western Digital, and you can find it at Walmart online. (it's the only one of its size by WD)
wow, thanks for the heads-up! i am, however, a little confuse now, sounds very weird to me..!?! and it's only one of the 5.25s that is causing you trouble? did the distortion and popping only come from one of them or from both? and is one of them entirely dead now or just messed-up in sound?

damn, and here i thought i had finally taken a wise decision... should i call crutchfield (they haven't shipped anything yet as far as i know) and change my order to the polks?
my problem is that the crutchfield warranty expires once the speakers leave american soil, so i'd be stuck with them if ever i have a problem...

so let me get this straight - now we basically have two kappa users here (both without amp so far) who are reporting problems with their purchases... does anyone else know anything about and/or have any experience with these speakers? mario - did you get distortion only from the 5.25s or also from the 6.5s?

uhm, would it be possible that the unreliability of the kappas is why the cut their prices that much?
RobinHood is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2009, 08:43 AM   #76
Jeeper
 
emev0l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinHood View Post
wow, thanks for the heads-up! i am, however, a little confuse now, sounds very weird to me..!?! and it's only one of the 5.25s that is causing you trouble? did the distortion and popping only come from one of them or from both? and is one of them entirely dead now or just messed-up in sound?

damn, and here i thought i had finally taken a wise decision... should i call crutchfield (they haven't shipped anything yet as far as i know) and change my order to the polks?
my problem is that the crutchfield warranty expires once the speakers leave american soil, so i'd be stuck with them if ever i have a problem...

so let me get this straight - now we basically have two kappa users here (both without amp so far) who are reporting problems with their purchases... does anyone else know anything about and/or have any experience with these speakers? mario - did you get distortion only from the 5.25s or also from the 6.5s?

uhm, would it be possible that the unreliability of the kappas is why the cut their prices that much?
Both the 5 1/2" and 6 1/2" are distorted at 80% volume. My stock speakers also had distortion at 80% volume. My stock speakers did not have distortion with my stock CD player, but my new radio pushes more power and the Kappas sound very very good all the way up to 80% volume.

I'll bet money that pushing these with an amp would sound just as good, but much much louder.

I'm not going to run an amp, I don't want anything on my floor because I flood my Jeep.

These speakers get it done, I just wanted to turn my volume up all the way.
emev0l is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2009, 09:05 AM   #77
Jeeper
 
RobinHood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by emev0l View Post
Both the 5 1/2" and 6 1/2" are distorted at 80% volume. My stock speakers also had distortion at 80% volume. My stock speakers did not have distortion with my stock CD player, but my new radio pushes more power and the Kappas sound very very good all the way up to 80% volume.

I'll bet money that pushing these with an amp would sound just as good, but much much louder.

I'm not going to run an amp, I don't want anything on my floor because I flood my Jeep.

These speakers get it done, I just wanted to turn my volume up all the way.
aha... interesting point.

i guess in this case i'm going to stick with the kappas since i don't think i'm ever going to turn up the volume that much anyway. i think i've never even done that so far, even with my stock speakers. this is also why i don't think i need an amp – i probably couldn't even tell the difference.

we'll see how it is in the summer with the top down on the highway, but i think i'll get by, haha...
RobinHood is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2009, 09:22 AM   #78
Jeeper
 
RobinHood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Zurich, Switzerland
Posts: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple88a View Post
they dont have any audio stores in Switzerland? When i used to live in Bulgaria, you go to the stores, you have bigger selection than even here in the us since they dont have all the stupid laws like they do here.
well yeah, we do have great audio stores here, it's just that all this stuff is so crazy expensive and i don't want to spend another fortune on the electronics of the jeep after dropping an insane amount for the purchase and especially the custom install job of my alpine double-DIN headunit at a specialist here in zurich. i'm loving the unit and how he installed it, but the costs got a little out of hand during the process and that kinda drained my wrangler budget for now...

and as for stupid laws - we're the masters of stupid rules and regulations, and i know that bulgaria is much more laid-back in this respect. here in the switz, i'm not allowed to get any custom front bumper for the wrangler because of pedestrian safety regulations! also, lightbars (and i love lightbars!) are virtually impossible since the law makers believe you might blind other drivers when using it on the street (which is really the only place you can use it since driving offroad is practically illegal in the entire country due to nature protection laws). oh, and lift kits? well, there's one lift that's allowed by the law, and that's about 2 inches, nothing more. tires and wheels, finally, is another long, restricted story...

but we do have beautiful cows here, some decent watchmakers, and a number of (up until recently) highly reputated banking institutions. you gotta love it, haha..!!
RobinHood is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2009, 09:37 AM   #79
Jeeper
 
emev0l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinHood View Post
well yeah, we do have great audio stores here, it's just that all this stuff is so crazy expensive and i don't want to spend another fortune on the electronics of the jeep after dropping an insane amount for the purchase and especially the custom install job of my alpine double-DIN headunit at a specialist here in zurich. i'm loving the unit and how he installed it, but the costs got a little out of hand during the process and that kinda drained my wrangler budget for now...

and as for stupid laws - we're the masters of stupid rules and regulations, and i know that bulgaria is much more laid-back in this respect. here in the switz, i'm not allowed to get any custom front bumper for the wrangler because of pedestrian safety regulations! also, lightbars (and i love lightbars!) are virtually impossible since the law makers believe you might blind other drivers when using it on the street (which is really the only place you can use it since driving offroad is practically illegal in the entire country due to nature protection laws). oh, and lift kits? well, there's one lift that's allowed by the law, and that's about 2 inches, nothing more. tires and wheels, finally, is another long, restricted story...

but we do have beautiful cows here, some decent watchmakers, and a number of (up until recently) highly reputated banking institutions. you gotta love it, haha..!!
ha ha, beautiful cows
emev0l is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #80
Jeeper
 
emev0l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinHood View Post
aha... interesting point.

i guess in this case i'm going to stick with the kappas since i don't think i'm ever going to turn up the volume that much anyway. i think i've never even done that so far, even with my stock speakers. this is also why i don't think i need an amp – i probably couldn't even tell the difference.

we'll see how it is in the summer with the top down on the highway, but i think i'll get by, haha...

That's the only time I need it cranked up, no top, no doors, expressway.
emev0l is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2009, 01:57 PM   #81
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinHood View Post
but we do have beautiful cows here, some decent watchmakers, and a number of (up until recently) highly reputated banking institutions. you gotta love it, haha..!!
on other words what you are saying is if i go gay i can move there and enjoy life?

gay people dont offroad do they?

now as the speakers and such crackling at 80%.. its the cd players, not the speakers. Let say you have a cd player with 2 speakers hooked up directly. You turn it up, it will be very loud and eventually start crackling. Well now let say you add a separate volume control between the speaker and the HU. You turn up the radio and turn down the seperate volume so the end result is the speaker will not be loud. You keep turning up the radio and turning down the volume, you will get crackling at again 80% when the speaker is barely going. From what i have found out, that is normal. That is just the head unit. Most cheaper head units are like that since they are made to give all they got even if its crackling loud. Expensive head units on the other hand are made to be good so the max volume is made to be at that 80% so even when you turn it up to max, you are only turning it up to 80%.

why is it more noticeable in the kappas? they require more power to produce sound so what was loud before is now normal and what was max before is now loud.
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #82
Registered User
 
NalinMFG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 940
Send a message via AIM to NalinMFG Send a message via MSN to NalinMFG Send a message via Yahoo to NalinMFG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple88a View Post
gay people dont offroad do they?
thats how you make it look
__________________


NalinMFG.com

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters
Facebook Like for a 10% coupon

100% Made in USA
NalinMFG is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2009, 03:47 PM   #83
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertrack1600m View Post
thats how you make it look
lol good one hehe but its not because i dont like to, i just dont have a place to do so
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2009, 03:56 PM   #84
Registered User
 
NalinMFG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Evansville, IN
Posts: 940
Send a message via AIM to NalinMFG Send a message via MSN to NalinMFG Send a message via Yahoo to NalinMFG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple88a View Post
lol good one hehe but its not because i dont like to, i just dont have a place to do so
theres a nice little thread about the Badlands in August if you check out the "on the trail" section
__________________


NalinMFG.com

TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters
Facebook Like for a 10% coupon

100% Made in USA
NalinMFG is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2009, 03:34 AM   #85
Jeeper
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Of Heaven
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinHood View Post
wow, thanks for the heads-up! i am, however, a little confuse now, sounds very weird to me..!?! and it's only one of the 5.25s that is causing you trouble? did the distortion and popping only come from one of them or from both? and is one of them entirely dead now or just messed-up in sound?

damn, and here i thought i had finally taken a wise decision... should i call crutchfield (they haven't shipped anything yet as far as i know) and change my order to the polks?
my problem is that the crutchfield warranty expires once the speakers leave american soil, so i'd be stuck with them if ever i have a problem...

so let me get this straight - now we basically have two kappa users here (both without amp so far) who are reporting problems with their purchases... does anyone else know anything about and/or have any experience with these speakers? mario - did you get distortion only from the 5.25s or also from the 6.5s?

uhm, would it be possible that the unreliability of the kappas is why the cut their prices that much?
Yes, only one speaker is distorted and popping. It's not the wiring because I switched sides and the problem followed the speaker.

I also wanted to share with you, that the DB button control for the tweeter, on one of the 6.5" Kappas, that I installed last night doesn't work either. The other works perfectly. I called Crutchfield today and told them about the problem with both sets. They gave me no argument, and shipped out 2 new sets (with wiring harnesses) today. However, I told them if this happens again, I will be returning them for a full refund, and take my business elsewhere.

I too think this could be why these 2 sets are on sale for such a great buy, and of course the rep denied it. BUT, I also talked to my local audio guy today, and he said the same. He too stands by these Kappa's. And both still agree that when you amp these out, the difference is like night and day. So maybe I'm just having some bad luck. I hope the next set will be problem free.
BTW, those Kappas that were "DISCONTINUED", are mysteriously back at the same discount price, "IF" you'd like to get your hands on a pair.

Like I said before, these speakers sound good when they're working properly. Otherwise, I wouldn't put up with the hassle. I can't tell you what to do on your purchase Robin, nor would I. All I can do is share my experiences and opinions with you. Then you have to determine what is best for you.

So what do you think you'll do?
__________________
"ONE FOOT IN THE GUTTER, ONE FIST IN THE GOLD"
-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2009, 03:41 AM   #86
Jeeper
 
BLACKTOOTHGRIN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: South Of Heaven
Posts: 1,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple88a View Post
on other words what you are saying is if i go gay i can move there and enjoy life?

gay people dont offroad do they?

now as the speakers and such crackling at 80%.. its the cd players, not the speakers. Let say you have a cd player with 2 speakers hooked up directly. You turn it up, it will be very loud and eventually start crackling. Well now let say you add a separate volume control between the speaker and the HU. You turn up the radio and turn down the seperate volume so the end result is the speaker will not be loud. You keep turning up the radio and turning down the volume, you will get crackling at again 80% when the speaker is barely going. From what i have found out, that is normal. That is just the head unit. Most cheaper head units are like that since they are made to give all they got even if its crackling loud. Expensive head units on the other hand are made to be good so the max volume is made to be at that 80% so even when you turn it up to max, you are only turning it up to 80%.

why is it more noticeable in the kappas? they require more power to produce sound so what was loud before is now normal and what was max before is now loud.
I agree partially. But in my case, when you run the same "problem child" speaker to all 4 connections and the problem follows the one speaker, while the others perform correctly, it's the speaker. Same with the DB control button.

2 different sets, 2 problems. I don't know what to think. If it weren't for the good sound, (when they're working right)
I's be inclined to use these things as frizbees'!
__________________
"ONE FOOT IN THE GUTTER, ONE FIST IN THE GOLD"
-BLACKTOOTHGRIN
BLACKTOOTHGRIN is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #87
Jeeper
 
emev0l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple88a View Post
on other words what you are saying is if i go gay i can move there and enjoy life?

gay people dont offroad do they?

now as the speakers and such crackling at 80%.. its the cd players, not the speakers. Let say you have a cd player with 2 speakers hooked up directly. You turn it up, it will be very loud and eventually start crackling. Well now let say you add a separate volume control between the speaker and the HU. You turn up the radio and turn down the seperate volume so the end result is the speaker will not be loud. You keep turning up the radio and turning down the volume, you will get crackling at again 80% when the speaker is barely going. From what i have found out, that is normal. That is just the head unit. Most cheaper head units are like that since they are made to give all they got even if its crackling loud. Expensive head units on the other hand are made to be good so the max volume is made to be at that 80% so even when you turn it up to max, you are only turning it up to 80%.

why is it more noticeable in the kappas? they require more power to produce sound so what was loud before is now normal and what was max before is now loud.
It's a $1,200 Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT DVD/NAV head unit, the Kappas are louder than the stock speakers at a lower volume setting, and much more clear.
emev0l is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2009, 06:01 PM   #88
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
Quote:
Originally Posted by emev0l View Post
It's a $1,200 Pioneer Premier AVIC-F90BT DVD/NAV head unit, the Kappas are louder than the stock speakers at a lower volume setting, and much more clear.
hhmm weird, in that case why would they require an amp is beyond me
Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2009, 09:12 PM   #89
Jeeper
 
emev0l's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple88a View Post
hhmm weird, in that case why would they require an amp is beyond me
You will get distortion threw your speakers if your near your head unit or amps limit, it doesn't have enough power to push it but it tries, if you get an amp you can push more power to the speakers, but if you were to get to the limit of the amp it would also run out of power and cause distortion.

The best way to get the most out of your speakers, and make them as loud as possible without distortion is to get an amp that pushes more rms power than your speakers can handle and just don't turn the volume all the way up.

If your speakers can handle 60 watts then get a 75 watt amp and run 60 watts threw the speakers, the amp wont be near its limit so it wont run out of power, and you wont get the distortion.

You don't get that problem with the stock radio and speakers because your only pushing around 10 watts.
emev0l is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2009, 01:54 AM   #90
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 8,286
Send a message via AIM to Triple88a Send a message via MSN to Triple88a Send a message via Yahoo to Triple88a Send a message via Skype™ to Triple88a
right so what i said about the cd players is correct just i guess ur 1200 bucks HU is running all its got, and not limited like most of the other high price HUs.

Triple88a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Acceleration Sound – Normal? MacApple JK Tech Forum 10 01-17-2009 11:56 AM
Starting A Sound System Upgrade BLACKTOOTHGRIN Communications and Electronics 30 10-24-2008 11:35 AM
sound bar or sound pods distortedtj Classifieds Archive 2 12-11-2007 08:00 AM
TFI Upgrade (good write-up) Justin YJ Tech Forum 1 11-19-2007 01:04 PM
upgrade sound system and fog lights newtbln Communications and Electronics 13 01-01-2007 06:59 PM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC