Originally Posted by JCS05Rubi
I am going to re-wire the Jeep before I call for a radio check. Right now, my power/ground wires are about ~7 feet long and are ran right next to each other.
Ok, if this is on your 05 then there are a couple power leads behind the glove box that work good. I ran amy's power to that and her ground to one of the studs that hold the dash to the body. We get no ignition or alternator interference.
My coax then meets the power/ground wires at the drivers side peddles, and follows them over to the passenger seat. This was just temporary until I can find a mount for my radio, but I bet the wiring is causing the interference. I am noticing that this is very similar to a high end radio install. I am gonna run the coax back under the rear seat ,and up the passenger side instead of driver, and find someway to cut down my ground and eliminate it from following the power wire. Is there anything in the passenger side, somewhere near the glove box, to get a good frame ground? Could this be my serious static issue?
Can you describe the static? does it increase and decrease as you rev the engine or drive? are you parked under power lines?
There will be static, it's supposed to be there, you have a couple noise blocker circuits on your radio which will reduce it somewhat but at the cost of receiving weak signals. those are the ANL and NB switches.
The primary way to deal with static is your squelch knob, you turn that till the static disappears. What it does is set the signal threshold required open the audio circuit. In other words it blocks sound until you receive a strong signal.
I am not going to be able to get an antenna tune or radio check until Monday on lunch, unless they do that on Sunday's? I am sure TA doesn't bother with 10 dollar antenna tunes on a Sunday...
I don't know if the TA there has a radio shop, if they do it's quite likely they would be open on sunday. Truckers are very bored on the weekends, thats when they'll spend money on anything.
Anybody can give a radio check, it's not something you buy at the shop.
A radio check is just a request for an audio report. You call "break one nine for a radio check" and then (hopefully) you'll get a response of "checks in the mail" or "sounds good" if you're coming in clear.
Thanks again Skeet, this is great. I have 0 idea what I am doing, and would never have got this thing anywhere near working without your advice so far. Hopefully soon I will be asking you for codes and how you make cell phone calls off it
Can't help you with cell calls, gotta go ham for that.
Very few people still use 10 codes but here they are.
* 10-1- Receiving Poorly
* 10-2- Receiving Well
* 10-3- Stop Transmitting
* 10-4- Ok, Message Received
* 10-5- Relay Message
* 10-6- Busy, Stand By
* 10-7- Out of Service, Leaving Air
* 10-8- In Service, subject to call
* 10-9- Repeat Message
* 10-10- Transmission Completed, Standing By
* 10-11- Talking too Rapidly
* 10-12- Visitors Present
* 10-13- Advise weather/road conditions
* 10-16- Make Pickup at...
* 10-17- Urgent Business
* 10-18- Anything for us?
* 10-19- Nothing for you, return to base
* 10-20- My Location is ......... or What's your Location?
* 10-21- Call by Telephone
* 10-22- Report in Person too ......
* 10-23- Stand by
* 10-24- Completed last assignment
* 10-25- Can you Contact .......
* 10-26- Disregard Last Information/Cancel Last Message/Ignore
* 10-27- I am moving to Channel ......
* 10-28- Identify your station
* 10-29- Time is up for contact
* 10-30- Does not conform to FCC Rules
* 10-32- I will give you a radio check
* 10-33- Emergency Traffic at this station
* 10-34- Trouble at this station, help needed
* 10-35- Confidential Information
* 10-36- Correct Time is .........
* 10-38- Ambulance needed at .........
* 10-39- Your message delivered
* 10-41- Please tune to channel ........
* 10-42- Traffic Accident at ..........
* 10-43- Traffic tieup at .........
* 10-44- I have a message for you (or .........)
* 10-45- All units within range please report
* 10-50- Break Channel
* 10-62- Unable to copy, use phone
* 10-62sl- unable to copy on AM, use Sideband - Lower (not an official code)
* 10-62su- unable to copy on AM, use Sideband - Upper (not an official code)
* 10-65- Awaiting your next message/assignment
* 10-67- All units comply
* 10-70- Fire at .......
* 10-73- Speed Trap at ............
* 10-75 -You are causing interference
* 10-77 -Negative Contact
* 10-84 -My telephone number is .........
* 10-85 -My address is ...........
* 10-91 -Talk closer to the Mike
* 10-92 -Your transmitter is out of adjustment
* 10-93 -Check my frequency on this channel
* 10-94 -Please give me a long count
* 10-95 -Transmit dead carrier for 5 sec.
* 10-99 -Mission completed, all units secure
* 10-100 - Need to go to Bathroom
* 10-200 - Police needed at ..........