High Pass Filter / Low Pass Filter Settings - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Communications and Electronics

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-28-2010, 07:52 PM   #1
Newb
 
Zamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9
Question High Pass Filter / Low Pass Filter Settings

So, I'm a bit of a neophyte when it comes to understanding all the setting on a radio, and the one I have has a couple settings for High Pass Filter and Low Pass Filter. Both range between 80Hz and 160Hz. Any thoughts on what these should be set at? At the moment I have Polk db521 rear speakers and factory fronts. The console sub has been disconnected, pending a replacement. It's blown and sounds horrible, so I just unplugged it for now.

Zamboni is offline   Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 10:23 PM   #2
Show Me Your 8008135!

WF Supporting Member
 
s3nt3nc3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 3,641
Send a message via AIM to s3nt3nc3d
I don't think it'll make a difference as I think it'll only affect the signal going from the RCA's to the amp if you had one hooked up...errr actually high pass probably will affect the signal going to your speakers. I personally would disable both if possible. If you speakers sound fuzzy...change you high pass to 80hz or even 100-120ish and see if that cleans it up. What the low pass does is it only sends the frequencies below the set point to the subs...and the high pass sends the frequencies above the set point to the speakers. So when you set the high pass to say 80hz, it's only sending 80hz and above to the speakers. You will lose a little bass, but if the speakers can't cleanly play below 80hz, it'll make them sound more crisp and clean.

__________________
"We don't build great brakes because we think you don't know how to drive, we build them for the guy on the road in front of you that doesn't." - Black Magic Brakes
s3nt3nc3d is offline   Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:07 AM   #3
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,531
What kinda radio is it? I set the Highpass on all the time for people, but only when a sub is present.
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:07 AM   #4
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 35,395
Images: 2
I ended up setting my low-pass filter to 120 Hz. Any lower than that and my speakers started breaking up/distorting. I left the high-pass filter alone, you don't really need to worry about it.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is online now   Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:56 AM   #5
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I ended up setting my low-pass filter to 120 Hz. Any lower than that and my speakers started breaking up/distorting. I left the high-pass filter alone, you don't really need to worry about it.
Not sure I understand what your trying to explain....we are talking about head unit settings correct? If you set your LPF to 120, that means it will cut anything above 120 out. But you say that any lower than that your speakers start distorting. Shouldn't you have said you set your HPF to 120 so anything lower than that wouldn't make them distort? Just askin

For people reading this who don't understand crossovers etc here's a quick breakdown:

HPF: high pass filter (cuts all lower freqs out of your speakers at a point you set...usually 100hz and up)

LPF: low pass filter (cuts all higher freqs out of your speakers at a point you set...usually 100hz and down)

Basic scenerio that works....2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers powered by the head unit and a subbox powered by an amp. If your radio has built in crossovers for the speakers connected to it (not rca's), you can use the HPF to cut the lower freqs out of your 4 speakers since you have a sub to carry those.
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
Newb
 
Zamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibuildembig View Post
Not sure I understand what your trying to explain....we are talking about head unit settings correct? If you set your LPF to 120, that means it will cut anything above 120 out. But you say that any lower than that your speakers start distorting. Shouldn't you have said you set your HPF to 120 so anything lower than that wouldn't make them distort? Just askin

For people reading this who don't understand crossovers etc here's a quick breakdown:

HPF: high pass filter (cuts all lower freqs out of your speakers at a point you set...usually 100hz and up)

LPF: low pass filter (cuts all higher freqs out of your speakers at a point you set...usually 100hz and down)

Basic scenerio that works....2 front speakers, 2 rear speakers powered by the head unit and a subbox powered by an amp. If your radio has built in crossovers for the speakers connected to it (not rca's), you can use the HPF to cut the lower freqs out of your 4 speakers since you have a sub to carry those.
I have the factory set up that, I believe, ties the sub to the rear speakers. Are the settings of any value at all with that configuration? I see the value in the HPF / LPF if a sub, powered from an amp, is present, but not if it is in line with the rear speakers.
Zamboni is offline   Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #7
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Ibuildembig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fruitland, Missouri
Posts: 8,531
A factory setup with HPF? Never seen one....depending on your radio you can set the front speakers different from the rear speakers. I'd set the HPF on the fronts at 100Hz and leave the rears alone until you decide if you want a amp on the sub.
Ibuildembig is offline   Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #8
Show Me Your 8008135!

WF Supporting Member
 
s3nt3nc3d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Piqua, OH
Posts: 3,641
Send a message via AIM to s3nt3nc3d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamboni View Post
I have the factory set up that, I believe, ties the sub to the rear speakers. Are the settings of any value at all with that configuration? I see the value in the HPF / LPF if a sub, powered from an amp, is present, but not if it is in line with the rear speakers.
Yeah, if you set the hpf or lpf with your factory sub, you're gonna be worse than you are now. If you set the high pass, your sub won't produce much (if any bass) since you'll be cutting most, if not all, the bass frequencies in order to get clear sound from the soundbar.

If you set the low pass, you'll get just as much bass as before (set it low enough and you'll get cleaner bass), BUT...then you'll be cutting most, if not all, the highs from the soundbar speakers. And considering the soundbar speakers produce most of the sound from our stereos, it'll sound like crap due to lacking the higher frequencies.

The best thing you can do with a factory sub setup would be to install crossovers in the wiring to the rear speakers (past the point where the line out converter for the sub is located) with a high pass at approx 80-120hz. That'll give you clean sound to the soundbar speakers. And then you could install a crossover with a low pass at 50-80hz in the wiring from the amp to the sub which will only send the low frequencies to the sub. I'm not exactly sure how you'd do that...I'm not a pro with crossovers, but that's about the only way to adjust the frequencies going to the rears on the factory setup. Not at all worth the time and money IMO.

__________________
"We don't build great brakes because we think you don't know how to drive, we build them for the guy on the road in front of you that doesn't." - Black Magic Brakes
s3nt3nc3d is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Oil Furnace - Hot Water Heating - Aquastat Settings TJeepman Off-Topic 1 10-07-2010 06:27 PM



Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC