Looking for a Cheap CB - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > Communications and Electronics

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-21-2013, 10:45 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Madden's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: In a van down by the river
Posts: 444
Images: 3
Send a message via Skype™ to Madden
Looking for a Cheap CB

So after going out on some trails with some buds I realized that I really need to get a CB, but I dont need one thats going to go for 10 miles or anything. I just need something really basic that works. Can you guys recommend me one and decent antenna?

__________________
Madden is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Jag
Jeeper
 
Jag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 318
The Uniden 510 and 520 are basic, small, and fit great in a Jeep. You can get a new one for $40-$50.

A 3 or 4 foot adjustable Firestik antenna should run from $15-30.

Add in 18' of coax, an antenna mount and hardware, and you're probably looking at another $50.

You also need to tune it once everything is installed. Find a friend with an SWR meter or budget another $20 to buy one.

That's about the bare minimum. You can always spend more on microphone mounts, Jeep-specific radio mounts, etc.

Jag is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
President, ThumbJeeps

WF Supporting Member
 
sevenservices's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Mid-Michigan/Thumb
Posts: 3,938
depends, if you want used, check craigslist. I picked up a nice used Cobra w/antenna and handset for $25. Even had the main bracket to install it.
__________________
-Chris
President, ThumbJeeps
CB Callsign "AirForce One"


1994 Wrangler YJ I6 4.0 H/O Auto 3 spd. 4" RC (33x12.5) (15x8) 3:54 Gears
sevenservices is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-23-2013, 12:15 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Dimas
Posts: 16
I've been thinking about adding a CB as well to my JK, but I'm not ready to start drilling holes.
dshortone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #5
Jag
Jeeper
 
Jag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by dshortone View Post
I've been thinking about adding a CB as well to my JK, but I'm not ready to start drilling holes.
You don't need to drill a single hole.

For the antenna, there are a variety of mounts that bolt up to the rear tire carrier.

For the cable, you can run it through the vent behind the spare tire and then either under the carpet or up through the roll bar padding.

For the CB itself, Quadratec makes a mount that places it next to the center console using an existing bolt. There are also plenty of other options out there.

Cool Tech also makes a mount for the microphone that doesn't require any drilling.
Jag is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,074
And you don't need to worry about finding one that doesn't go 10 miles, because that's all of them. Haha you'll be lucky to get 3 or 4 miles out of (a legal) one.
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-26-2013, 12:41 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: San Dimas
Posts: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
You don't need to drill a single hole.

For the antenna, there are a variety of mounts that bolt up to the rear tire carrier.

For the cable, you can run it through the vent behind the spare tire and then either under the carpet or up through the roll bar padding.

For the CB itself, Quadratec makes a mount that places it next to the center console using an existing bolt. There are also plenty of other options out there.

Cool Tech also makes a mount for the microphone that doesn't require any drilling.
Thanks! I've searched a few times for these things, and come up with nothing. My Jeep parts searching skills are still lacking.
dshortone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
bbtj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Kansas City, Mo
Posts: 1,426
bbtj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
Commercial Member JeepsOnTrails

WF Supporting Member
 
lee indy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Middle Georgia
Posts: 5,181
i run the uniden 505. firestik firefly 3 footer if you dont mind drilling sheet metal next to the brake light you can mount a generic antenna bracket. all said an done for under 50
lee indy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
TXST8tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 1,864
Send a message via AIM to TXST8tj
Walmart sells the Cobra 19 channel for like $30-$35. I have been running one for about 7-8 years now and it does everything I need it to.
Pick up the Firestick and coax on Amazon for $25 total and you're on your way.
__________________
- Patrick
TXST8tj is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXST8tj View Post
Walmart sells the Cobra 19 channel for like $30-$35. I have been running one for about 7-8 years now and it does everything I need it to.
Pick up the Firestick and coax on Amazon for $25 total and you're on your way.
Pretty sure it has 40 channels
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-02-2013, 11:16 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
voyager_1700's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 72
Hey all.. I am also looking for a cheap CB, but I wanted to know .. What's the big difference between the $30-40 units and the over $100 ones?
voyager_1700 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
cwyatt6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Canton
Posts: 122
I have a whole kit for sell . Text for details 6784672627
cwyatt6 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 10:59 AM   #14
Sponsoring Vendor
 
ftldist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by voyager_1700 View Post
Hey all.. I am also looking for a cheap CB, but I wanted to know .. What's the big difference between the $30-40 units and the over $100 ones?
All CB radios have 4 watts of power output. The biggest difference is the features they include. The PRO510 is a simple and plain CB but it's compact design lets you easily install it in almost any location. Some of the bigger CB's have weather channels, backlit faceplate, Bluetooth(in some new ones), noise filters, etc. To get the best bang for your buck, spend your extra money on a good quality CB antenna.

We carry all brands of CB radios and we carry the Firestik brand of CB antennas and mounts.
__________________
____________________________


FTL offers CB radios & equipment at low prices.

http://www.ftldist.com

Members receive a 10% discount. PM for details.

Like us on Facebook or Follow us on Twitter
ftldist is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-12-2013, 02:01 PM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Knuckles65's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,205
How is the audio quality from the Cobra 18 WX ST II CB?

I like the idea of a front mounted speaker.
__________________
2013 Commando Green JK Rubicon
-------------------------------------------------
Remember - sometimes, the advice you get on the Internet is worth exactly what you paid for it!
Knuckles65 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-12-2013, 02:11 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Can most CB's be aux'ed to a 3.5MM input for a stereo(Sony) for clearer sound?
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-12-2013, 02:24 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevCo666 View Post
Can most CB's be aux'ed to a 3.5MM input for a stereo(Sony) for clearer sound?
Yes, most have an external audio output jack. I think the output is mono though, so you'll only hear it on one side of your vehicle. An external speaker is probably a better option.
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-12-2013, 02:26 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSixTJ View Post
Yes, most have an external audio output jack. I think the output is mono though, so you'll only hear it on one side of your vehicle. An external speaker is probably a better option.
The reason I asked is I'm hearing impaired and my digital hearing aids don't pick up well in certain cases. I figured as technology gets better, they would of fixed this mono issue. Guess not :/ Thanks for responding OhSixTJ
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevCo666 View Post

The reason I asked is I'm hearing impaired and my digital hearing aids don't pick up well in certain cases. I figured as technology gets better, they would of fixed this mono issue. Guess not :/ Thanks for responding OhSixTJ
No problem!

Yeah you'd think they'd make that jack stereo instead of mono but I guess it just adds to the cost.
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSixTJ View Post
No problem!

Yeah you'd think they'd make that jack stereo instead of mono but I guess it just adds to the cost.
A number of years ago I tried working as a cabby and man, it was one of the most frustrating jobs ever (for someone with a disability). I even tried to jurry rig the CB'sconnection to using ear buds and it came out as mono (one ear only) back then too. Hence I figured things may have changed since...
RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-12-2013, 04:13 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
OhSixTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevCo666 View Post

A number of years ago I tried working as a cabby and man, it was one of the most frustrating jobs ever (for someone with a disability). I even tried to jurry rig the CB'sconnection to using ear buds and it came out as mono (one ear only) back then too. Hence I figured things may have changed since...
Man I can only imagine how frustrating that is...
OhSixTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-12-2013, 05:04 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhSixTJ View Post
Man I can only imagine how frustrating that is...
No worries, the cabby owner was a total $hit head, fired me after a month because he wasn't able to cash in my disability to get new equipment. Filed a complaint with the human rights commission of Ontario, and he ended up paying me for lost wages ect. I should of known better to trust the guy but when your unemployed, you do anything to get a job. Hell I had a perfect driving record, bilingual (which is very handy in my corner) and great customer service skills. Even offered to give a computer to him so he could txt me addresses(when not driving of course) if I had a hard time over the CB. But no he decided it was easier just to discriminate and terminate without just cause. Oh well, now I'm on disability pension(for additional health reasons) and trying to lead a normal life as best as I can without undue stress from employers.

Sorry for the rant, the CB brought up bad memories.

RevCo666 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:22 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC