One day I was reading the CB postings trying to get an idea of which overhead mount to get and i was about to go with the Tuffy model for the newer TJ's when I came across the CB Rack. I really liked the design so I contacted the maker about two weeks ago only to find he went out of business due to illness. Since the few out there that have one don't want to part with it, I decided to fabricate my own that was similar in design.
This is a pic of the original CB Rack that I borrowed from someone else's post
It's a pretty simple design only I didn't have much aluminum or a break to bend it so being the Glazier that I am I decided to use a 1/8" architectural panel. It's an aluminum clad polycarbonate used on building exteriors.
I cut the pieces to the overall width(including the bends, 1 a quarter inch smaller than the other) and then to about 36" in length. I measured where the bends were and with a router & strait edge using a 90 degree V-bit I routed the lines on center
With a set of duckbill pliers, I bent the ends up into a C-channel. This gave it the strength it needed.
I fit the two together, drilled and countersunk the holes and screwed them together. It's a box shape so you can run wires through if needed
Then I took flat aluminum stock cut to size, curved one to fit around the rollbar and the other notched and bent to the correct angle. The notch is for the trim piece that attaches by a clip in that spot. You'll notice this once you remove the trim piece.
After testing the rollbar fit and cutting the box to size (around 30") I used a nutsert tool to add threaded holes for bolting the front section on, marked the fit and attached all the pieces together by drilling, tapping & countersinking using an undercut type #12 screw and rechecked the fit. The front piece is screwed to the bottom and the rear is screwed to the top. This gave it less of an angle( not much though)
Once everything fit perfectly I sanded everything and coated it with Rustoleum Textured finish and the a coat of Rustoleum Matte Clear. I reinstalled it using 1/4-20 X 1" SS Bolts. One thing I didn't get a picture of is that you have to notch out the trim piece that is in the newer TJ's. It's the thickness of the flat stock and you can't notice it at all, about 1/8"
Here it is ready for my 148 GTL. Eventually I'm gonna get the 29 w/BT when the extra funds are there so the 148 will have to do for now. I wouldn't have minded spending the money on the original, it's easier than making one but I'm really happy with the results. It fits good, looks good and once I put the radio in I'll post another pic. Sorry about the long post but I just wanted to show this off in case someone else wanted to try it