Picking the Right Amplifier - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Communications and Electronics

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
You could just splice the turn-on into another switched live, cigarette lighter sockets are good for that.

__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:03 PM   #32
Jeeper
 
Jaybirdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 58
That would be easy enough to do but that is still for the amp to work. Right now I just need to be able to get back to a working head unit and 4 speakers. From there, wiring the amp will be a piece of cake. I would rerun new speaker wire to each speaker but that would require splicing wires in my wire harness.

Jaybirdd is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #33
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
Duh. I just re-read the last few posts, sorry.

My guess would be that it's going into protect mode due to a short somewhere in the speaker wiring. Disconnect each speaker in turn from the amp, then turn on the accessory power each time to see if it will come on and stay on. When it does, the last speaker you disconnected is the one with the problem.
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:24 PM   #34
Jeeper
 
Jaybirdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by woansleftpeg View Post
Duh. I just re-read the last few posts, sorry.

My guess would be that it's going into protect mode due to a short somewhere in the speaker wiring. Disconnect each speaker in turn from the amp, then turn on the accessory power each time to see if it will come on and stay on. When it does, the last speaker you disconnected is the one with the problem.
I'll try that tonight. Thanks Woan
Jaybirdd is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 08:30 PM   #35
Jeeper
 
Jaybirdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 58
I took everything apart and set it up like I got all new equipment and presto! Everything works again. It seems like the HU didn't like the rca cables that were attached to it. For now, I'm running at low volumes until I get around to rewiring my amp. At least the error is gone
Jaybirdd is offline   Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:32 PM   #36
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
Good stuff. I can't think why an RCA would be causing that problem unless it has a nick in it somewhere, but at least now you know the issue you can replace it cheaply and easily enough.
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #37
Jeeper
 
Jaybirdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 58
Well I hate to say this but the problem has arisen once again. My system was working when I drove to work this morning but when I started it up to drive to lunch the miswiring message was back... I dont know what else to do This is so frustrating!
Jaybirdd is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern VT // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybirdd View Post
Well I hate to say this but the problem has arisen once again. My system was working when I drove to work this morning but when I started it up to drive to lunch the miswiring message was back... I dont know what else to do This is so frustrating!
Where did you get the head unit? Return it. If you still get the message the amp you bought is junk.
__________________
| '05 TJ Rubicon | '98 XJ Sport | '12 Lexus IS 250 |
That moment when you look at a really nice JK and think to yourself, "Well I SUPPOSE I could see myself trading in my TJ for one of those, but for those ugly ass door handles."
n00g7 is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybirdd View Post
Well I hate to say this but the problem has arisen once again. My system was working when I drove to work this morning but when I started it up to drive to lunch the miswiring message was back... I dont know what else to do This is so frustrating!
Did you try the speaker wiring thing I suggested? I had exactly the same thing happen to me last weekend when I removed and rewired my amp to fit in the new underseat bracket, it was going into protect because an exposed speaker wire was intermittently contacting the metal seat frame. I would get sound for about a second before the amp went into protect mode, disconnecting each speaker pair from the amp and then restarting it in turn pointed me to the problem area and then retracing the wire brought me to the exact fault. A couple of turns of electrical tape and a zip tie, all worked perfectly again.
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #40
Jeeper
 
Jaybirdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by woansleftpeg View Post
Did you try the speaker wiring thing I suggested? I had exactly the same thing happen to me last weekend when I removed and rewired my amp to fit in the new underseat bracket, it was going into protect because an exposed speaker wire was intermittently contacting the metal seat frame. I would get sound for about a second before the amp went into protect mode, disconnecting each speaker pair from the amp and then restarting it in turn pointed me to the problem area and then retracing the wire brought me to the exact fault. A couple of turns of electrical tape and a zip tie, all worked perfectly again.
The problem I'm having is that there are no speaker wires coming from my amp. Let me know if this is wrong but the way I wired my electronics was as follows...

-Power cable with inline fuse from battery to amp.
-Ground cable from amp to chassis.
-2 RCA cables (one plug per channel x 4 channels) from amp to rear of HU.
-RCA Y splitters to get the 4 plugs to fit in the 2 RCA ports in my HU.
-Antenna to rear of HU.
-"Plug and play" wire harness from factory plastic clip to rear of HU.
-One of the small wires in this harness was black, I attached that to the factory ground cable I found behind the dash.
-Another small wire was blue and is labeled antenna, I pulled it out and ran it to the remote turn on port on my amp.

Is this setup doing anything even when it is working? I guess I just thought I could add power to my HU with the amp and not amplify the speakers themselves.
Jaybirdd is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:38 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern VT // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybirdd View Post
The problem I'm having is that there are no speaker wires coming from my amp. Let me know if this is wrong but the way I wired my electronics was as follows...

-Power cable with inline fuse from battery to amp.
-Ground cable from amp to chassis.
-2 RCA cables (one plug per channel x 4 channels) from amp to rear of HU.
-RCA Y splitters to get the 4 plugs to fit in the 2 RCA ports in my HU.
-Antenna to rear of HU.
-"Plug and play" wire harness from factory plastic clip to rear of HU.
-One of the small wires in this harness was black, I attached that to the factory ground cable I found behind the dash.
-Another small wire was blue and is labeled antenna, I pulled it out and ran it to the remote turn on port on my amp.

Is this setup doing anything even when it is working? I guess I just thought I could add power to my HU with the amp and not amplify the speakers themselves.
No +/- speaker terminals need to be coupled to +/- amp outputs.
__________________
| '05 TJ Rubicon | '98 XJ Sport | '12 Lexus IS 250 |
That moment when you look at a really nice JK and think to yourself, "Well I SUPPOSE I could see myself trading in my TJ for one of those, but for those ugly ass door handles."
n00g7 is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #42
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybirdd View Post
The problem I'm having is that there are no speaker wires coming from my amp. Let me know if this is wrong but the way I wired my electronics was as follows...

-Power cable with inline fuse from battery to amp.
-Ground cable from amp to chassis.
-2 RCA cables (one plug per channel x 4 channels) from amp to rear of HU.
-RCA Y splitters to get the 4 plugs to fit in the 2 RCA ports in my HU.
-Antenna to rear of HU.
-"Plug and play" wire harness from factory plastic clip to rear of HU.
-One of the small wires in this harness was black, I attached that to the factory ground cable I found behind the dash.
-Another small wire was blue and is labeled antenna, I pulled it out and ran it to the remote turn on port on my amp.

Is this setup doing anything even when it is working? I guess I just thought I could add power to my HU with the amp and not amplify the speakers themselves.
Nothing at all. The amplifier can't do anything to your head unit; it takes the signal from your HU, amplifies it and sends it to the speakers. No wonder you're getting a miswiring message!

As noog said, you need to connect each speaker cable to the +/- amp outputs.
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:04 PM   #43
Jeeper
 
Jaybirdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 58
Alright well I feel like a complete idiot now haha. If the miswiring message is showing up even with no amp connected at all, I don't see how my wiring could be incorrect. COrrect me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming the HU won't need the harness anymore if I have it outputting through the RCA only. If so, Ill try to just scrap the harness to prevent any errors and run new speaker wire from the speakers to my amp.
Jaybirdd is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:15 PM   #44
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
You're still going to need some wires from the Jeep to connect to the HU (power, ground etc), but I don't know anything about TJs so I'm not really in a position to make a recommendation about the harness.

Your wiring will be:

Speakers wired directly to amp outputs
Ground, fused power and switched turn on for amp
RCA cables between amp inputs and head unit outputs
Ground, power and any others e.g. SWC from Jeep to HU

Your miswiring message on the HU could be as a result of the fact that you currently have both amplifier pre-outs and speaker level outputs connected to live devices.
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 06:27 PM   #45
Jeeper
 
Jaybirdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 58
Awesome! I'll do a complete overhaul as soon as I get a chance, probably next week at the earliest. If any issues come up I'll be back for some more of your tutelage. I can't believe how much I've learned already from this forum, thanks again guys. I'll be sure to let you know how it goes.
Jaybirdd is offline   Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:13 PM   #46
Jeeper
 
Jaybirdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 58
Alright guys, I just wired everything and was able to get it to work without the amp perfectly. Turns out there was a short going to the front left speaker. Next I tried wiring all the speakers to the amp and I got the amp to turn on and stay on and no error messages but the speakers are popping. The music still plays but when I mute the radio the speakers all pop to the same beat. What could this be?
Jaybirdd is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 10:09 AM   #47
Jeeper
 
CoreyZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 2,244
Did you disconnect the speaker wires in the harness so that they are no longer connected to the head unit and only have the RCA?
CoreyZ is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:54 PM   #48
Jeeper
 
Jaybirdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyZ View Post
Did you disconnect the speaker wires in the harness so that they are no longer connected to the head unit and only have the RCA?
I actually cut the wires labeled for each speaker that came out of the harness and ran my speaker wire from the amp to them. The only wires still connected to the car through the harness are the red ignition/switched, yellow battery/constant, orange dimmer, and black ground wires.
Jaybirdd is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:14 PM   #49
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
When you say the speakers are popping, do you mean on turn-on or constantly?
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:16 PM   #50
Jeeper
 
Jaybirdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by woansleftpeg View Post
When you say the speakers are popping, do you mean on turn-on or constantly?
They pop constantly. The rear speakers are a louder pop and I can drown out the popping by turning the volume up but when I keep the volume low/on mute they pop steadily about 2x a second.
Jaybirdd is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:21 PM   #51
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
Are the RCA leads from the HU taking a different route to the amp than the power cable? There's a lot of juice in the power cable and the magnetic field from it can cause distortion in your signal.
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:29 PM   #52
Jeeper
 
Jaybirdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 58
I dont think its interference with the power cable. When I wiggle the amps ground cable I can get the popping to stop for a sec. Ill try to find a better ground.
Jaybirdd is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #53
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
Where did you install the amp? If it's under one of the seats then there's a factory grounding point under the innermost seat post, you just need a 10mm wrench to remove the nut.
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #54
Jeeper
 
Jaybirdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by woansleftpeg View Post
Where did you install the amp? If it's under one of the seats then there's a factory grounding point under the innermost seat post, you just need a 10mm wrench to remove the nut.
I installed it under the drivers side dash. I found a factory grounding point and bolted the ground wire to it. Now I managed to get rid of the popping in the speakers and the front two sound great but the rears are very quiet. When I try to turn up the gain on the rear speakers they distort almost immediately.
Jaybirdd is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #55
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybirdd View Post
I installed it under the drivers side dash. I found a factory grounding point and bolted the ground wire to it. Now I managed to get rid of the popping in the speakers and the front two sound great but the rears are very quiet. When I try to turn up the gain on the rear speakers they distort almost immediately.
Are they the same speakers as you have in the front?
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:01 PM   #56
Jeeper
 
n00g7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Northern VT // Western Wisconsin
Posts: 2,131
Is it the speakers, or the sound bar? The sound bar/pods are crap, and you poly filled it, so turn the bass way down and see if they still distort. You should set up the amp to do high-pass to cut out bass.
__________________
| '05 TJ Rubicon | '98 XJ Sport | '12 Lexus IS 250 |
That moment when you look at a really nice JK and think to yourself, "Well I SUPPOSE I could see myself trading in my TJ for one of those, but for those ugly ass door handles."
n00g7 is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #57
Jeeper
 
Jaybirdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 58
Dash- Kicker 5 1/4 in. DS525 (6-35 W RMS)
Soundbar- Kicker 6 3/4 in. DS65 (6-50 W RMS)

The soundbar is polyfilled as noted by n00g.
Jaybirdd is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 07:44 PM   #58
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
OK, if you haven't tuned the amp you should do that. Your rear speakers are less powerful than your fronts, so if you have the gain set equally on front and rear channels then your rears are going to distort while your fronts are sounding good. You need to set the gain controls to the right levels so that both sets of speakers are operating in their optimum range at the same time. Ideally, tune them using test tones.
__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #59
Jeeper
 
Jaybirdd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Newark, DE
Posts: 58
I have everything hooked up and the front speakers sound awesome but I can't seem to find any combination of wires or settings that make the soundbar speakers work properly. When I have the gain really low, I can just faintly hear the music coming from them even at full volume. As soon as I turn the gain up even the smallest amount, the speakers in the back distort like crazy. The front speakers however, I was able to dial in with a separate gain knob easily.
Jaybirdd is offline   Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:57 PM   #60
Jeeper
 
woansleftpeg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,332
OK, quick and easy troubleshooting exercise - move the wires from the rear speakers to the front channels and the front speakers to the rear channels. Does the problem shift, or do the rear speakers still distort?

__________________
Hold my beer and watch this.......
woansleftpeg is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:40 AM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC