Polk Components without crossover - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > Communications and Electronics

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 10-14-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
WranglerLTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 212
Polk Components without crossover

Hey guys,

I have a '14 JKU Sport without the alpine system. I wanted it this way because I came into it planning to upgrade.

I have Polk DB651s coaxials mounted in the soundbar, and I have some DB6501s components on the way for the dash. I'm eventually going to be adding an amp between the stock HU and speakers, but for now they'll just run off the stock unit unamplified.

Do I really need to wire in the crossovers that come with the polks? I don't plan on doing the tweeters yet either, just wanted to get some better speakers up front to hopefully give me a tiny bit better bass than what's currently in there.

I'm thinking of installing an alpine power pack that I have sitting around at a later point, and am coming from a vehicle that had a 500w amp and alpine type r 10" in a ported box. I'm enjoying the balanced sound without the thumping bass, but it kills me when I know a song has bass and I don't get ANYTHING.

Will my hack job work?

__________________
'14 JKU
JW Speaker 8700 Evolution, JW Speaker 6145 Fogs, Ace Rock Sliders
WranglerLTC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-14-2013, 11:40 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,437
Images: 2
The crossovers will give you better sound by filtering out the unwanted frequencies.
If you "crank it up", you could blow the speakers if you get too much of the unwanted frequencies. This would amount to distortion, which is one of the main causes for blown speakers.

Also, when you get an amp. make sure that you are aware that the DB651 speakers are only 60watts RMS, and can't really handle an Alpine 100RMS amp such as the PDX-V9. You may need to find something more compatible with the 100watt RMS DB501's if you want to add a powerful amp in the future.

And yeah, a sub really does add depth quality to the music sound, even without thumping bass. Without a sub, all music now sounds really tinny(thin sounding) to me.

ChasUGC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2013, 01:07 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
numbah1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 360
I was looking at the same exact setup for my '12 JKU. How are you liking those speakers so far? Gonna get the PA sub to match?
numbah1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2013, 06:35 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
WranglerLTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 212
Thanks. I wasn't sure if there was some type of crossover by default since there are separate tweeters.

I'm going to use an alpine power pack, either the KTP-445 sitting in my closet, or sell that and get a KTP-445U since the other one is a few heats old. It's 45w or 50w rms and will fit behind the dash.

I like the DB651s in the soundbar - ordered from amazon with the scosche brackets and metra wiring harnesses. Installed 1, then listened closely to each. Definite improvement, can't wait to eventually have an amp powering them.
__________________
'14 JKU
JW Speaker 8700 Evolution, JW Speaker 6145 Fogs, Ace Rock Sliders
WranglerLTC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerLTC View Post
Hey guys, I have a '14 JKU Sport without the alpine system. I wanted it this way because I came into it planning to upgrade. I have Polk DB651s coaxials mounted in the soundbar, and I have some DB6501s components on the way for the dash. I'm eventually going to be adding an amp between the stock HU and speakers, but for now they'll just run off the stock unit unamplified. Do I really need to wire in the crossovers that come with the polks? I don't plan on doing the tweeters yet either, just wanted to get some better speakers up front to hopefully give me a tiny bit better bass than what's currently in there. I'm thinking of installing an alpine power pack that I have sitting around at a later point, and am coming from a vehicle that had a 500w amp and alpine type r 10" in a ported box. I'm enjoying the balanced sound without the thumping bass, but it kills me when I know a song has bass and I don't get ANYTHING. Will my hack job work?
Sweet Jeezuz dude you just got a freaking Jeep, do it right the first time!

The tweeters are simple to install compared to the dash speakers. Put your crossovers in the end caps on the dash that you can reach by opening the doors. The tweeters just pop out with a flat edge screw driver and the new ones will fit in with limited customization. Maybe a little filing if anything.

And for God's sake at least put in that Alpine power pack when you put in the new speakers. 6wpc to those polks will sound like garbage. You have it laying around, use it.

Get the PAC adapter that gives you pre-amp out from the factory radio and give it a whirl.
Mattk11 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2013, 02:38 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
WranglerLTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattk11 View Post
Sweet Jeezuz dude you just got a freaking Jeep, do it right the first time! The tweeters are simple to install compared to the dash speakers. Put your crossovers in the end caps on the dash that you can reach by opening the doors. The tweeters just pop out with a flat edge screw driver and the new ones will fit in with limited customization. Maybe a little filing if anything. And for God's sake at least put in that Alpine power pack when you put in the new speakers. 6wpc to those polks will sound like garbage. You have it laying around, use it. Get the PAC adapter that gives you pre-amp out from the factory radio and give it a whirl.
Hahaha. Yeah since I'm doing the crossovers I'll just do it all at once. I'll look into the PAC adapter, was considering paying someone to do that but reassessing since they wanted ) $140 just to do the amp.
__________________
'14 JKU
JW Speaker 8700 Evolution, JW Speaker 6145 Fogs, Ace Rock Sliders
WranglerLTC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2013, 02:39 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Jma20a's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fairfield, CT
Posts: 3,046
X2. If your not gonna do it the right time first than dont do it at all.

For the tweeters. Most sets come with a few different mounts for the proper installation.
__________________
Dear Algebra, Please stop asking us to find your X. She's never coming back and don't ask Y.
Jma20a is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
WranglerLTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 212
Yeah doing it all at once.

Just looked into the PAC- only works with the amplified factory setup, assuming CANBUS needs to send a signal to the amp, and this intercepts that/tricks it.

Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future
__________________
'14 JKU
JW Speaker 8700 Evolution, JW Speaker 6145 Fogs, Ace Rock Sliders
WranglerLTC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,437
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerLTC View Post
Hahaha. Yeah since I'm doing the crossovers I'll just do it all at once. I'll look into the PAC adapter, was considering paying someone to do that but reassessing since they wanted ) $140 just to do the amp.
Well, it depends on what you mean. It's a '14 JKU and it has a lot more electronics than my 1997, and I paid $120 for the wiring of my amp and speakers. The proper cable by itself is probably about $40.00. It might be in that same scenario of do it right the first time. Rather than hacking up your brand new 2014 Jeep. Although, I couldn't imagine someone charging more than $140 for mounting the amp, wiring up the amp to the speakers, and wiring it to the car and the HU. My installer even installed my speakers too for the $120 dollar price. But, for the complete job, with the wiring and installation of everything, $140 dollars sounds reasonable to me.
ChasUGC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerLTC View Post
Yeah doing it all at once. Just looked into the PAC- only works with the amplified factory setup, assuming CANBUS needs to send a signal to the amp, and this intercepts that/tricks it. Pac-Audio.com Product Details | iPod Integration for your car and More by Pac-Audio - Connecting you to the future
. Check with PAC to see what interface you need to retain steering wheel controls. You may not need an interface for the speaker outs on the non amplified radio. That Alpine might take high level inputs. Check it out.
Mattk11 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-16-2013, 05:32 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
WranglerLTC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: WI
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattk11 View Post
. Check with PAC to see what interface you need to retain steering wheel controls. You may not need an interface for the speaker outs on the non amplified radio. That Alpine might take high level inputs. Check it out.
Not changing out the HU so not worried about losing steering wheel controls. I'll chat with them and see if they have any plug and play options, otherwise I'm selling my KTP-445 and picking up a KTP-445U (net difference is about $30 between sale and purchase).

I'm going to get the new one, and pony up the install fee so I don't destroy my electronics. I'm also going to have them wire in something I can hook a sub up to later if I want to, because I'm comfortable wiring a sub power/signal cable.
__________________
'14 JKU
JW Speaker 8700 Evolution, JW Speaker 6145 Fogs, Ace Rock Sliders
WranglerLTC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 10-18-2013, 10:17 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,437
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerLTC View Post
Not changing out the HU so not worried about losing steering wheel controls. I'll chat with them and see if they have any plug and play options, otherwise I'm selling my KTP-445 and picking up a KTP-445U (net difference is about $30 between sale and purchase).

I'm going to get the new one, and pony up the install fee so I don't destroy my electronics. I'm also going to have them wire in something I can hook a sub up to later if I want to, because I'm comfortable wiring a sub power/signal cable.
It sounds like you are making some wise decisions. Good luck.

ChasUGC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:49 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC