Pre tune CB question... - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Communications and Electronics

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-27-2012, 08:03 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
namasste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 309
Pre tune CB question...

I recently installed a 3' Firestik II and Midland 75-822 CB unit in my rig and right now I'm waiting on my SWR meter to arrive tomorrow. My questions this...we have minimal CB traffic around here despite being only a few miles from a freeway (which I use often commuting to work). Untuned, I've gotten essentially no communication in RX or TX and was concerned that I had a grounding issue that tuning simply cannot fix. I switched up my mount a bit and was able to get some pretty clear RX communication today albeit sporadic and only on one channel. Since I did get something, am I safe to assume that i am grounded and installed properly and all that's needed is a tuning?

I did pick up a multiple meter today and with me very limited understanding of what I was looking for, things seemed to be okay. That said, I have little confidence in my testing methods and results so I was hoping that simply getting some traffic on the unit meant I was good to go once I tuned it up.

namasste is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Arkansas
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by namasste View Post
I switched up my mount a bit and was able to get some pretty clear RX communication today albeit sporadic and only on one channel. Since I did get something, am I safe to assume that i am grounded and installed properly and all that's needed is a tuning?
Maybe. Being able to talk doesn't necessarily mean all is good, but it is unlikely your antenna / coax is dead shorted or grounded, otherwise you couldn't talk at all. That being said, it doesn't mean your SWR isn't off the scale. It is possible to damage the radio with extended talking / key-up of the radio if the SWR is over 3 or 4 to 1.

Remus_Redbone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
namasste's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remus_Redbone View Post
Maybe. Being able to talk doesn't necessarily mean all is good, but it is unlikely your antenna / coax is dead shorted or grounded, otherwise you couldn't talk at all. That being said, it doesn't mean your SWR isn't off the scale. It is possible to damage the radio with extended talking / key-up of the radio if the SWR is over 3 or 4 to 1.
I did read that about potential damage. Fortunately, I've only been listening as I'd have no reason to join on the random conversations I've heard and I do have an SWR meter arriving tomorrow so I'll try to get it all tuned down tom under 2. Just thought I'd try to cross this first part off the list since I'll never get a decent reading if the setup was botched to start with.
namasste is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-28-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Western Arkansas
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by namasste View Post
I did read that about potential damage. Fortunately, I've only been listening as I'd have no reason to join on the random conversations I've heard and I do have an SWR meter arriving tomorrow so I'll try to get it all tuned down tom under 2. Just thought I'd try to cross this first part off the list since I'll never get a decent reading if the setup was botched to start with.
I bet you'll be good to go with slight adjustment.
Remus_Redbone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
CB Radio Help Incubus1013 General Jeep Discussion 25 01-20-2014 09:33 AM
is owning a CB as much of a PITA as it sounds Kevbz Communications and Electronics 45 03-06-2012 06:41 PM
Uniden PRO505XL good/bad??? Cb newbie here 1jeeplvr Communications and Electronics 4 02-26-2012 05:04 PM
pre-rebuild input needed ballistx YJ Tech Forum 2 02-24-2012 10:04 PM
lift question... 19Wrangler91 YJ Tech Forum 2 02-24-2012 09:31 PM



» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC