So I finally gave up on the JK radio in a TJ as the whole CANBUS system is not penetrable (at least not at my level). So I have done some research and the RAQ will work in a non CANBUS system. I ordered the wiring harness to adapt from my 98 TJ to the RAQ radio. It even comes with the antenna adapter. Wiring harness was around $13 shipped and I found a steal on the radio for $50 at a local Junk yard today. If I get the wiring harness today I will begin the install and update here with pictures and part numbers. I will document as I go, just want to see if there is much interest before I put a whole lot of work into the documentation and write up. Let me know what you all think and if you would like to see the progress.
Well YAY!! The harness was in the mail box when I got home so I put it together and did the few small cuts required on the radio itself and a few on my jeep and it fits like a glove and works like a champ. Just need to do some modification to my bezel now so I can get that back on then I will be all good to go.
OK so after much research I found that the only style of these radios that will work in a TJ (due to the CANBUS system) is this one particular model with the code of RAQ. If my picture was more clear you could see to the left of the tuner knob and to the bottom right of the AM/FM button is where you will find this code. This is the very informitaive source I used in helping me figure all this out The Chrysler-Huntsville RAQ CD Stereo Head Unit: Repair Guide
The harness does come in two sepersate pieces and you will need to wire them together. You will notice that the connector that goes into the RAQ radio has two(2) yellow wires as well as two (2) black wires. Both of the yellow wires connect to the one yellow wire on the TJ style connector, and both of the black wires need to be hooked to a ground. I found a brown wire in the RAQ side harness that did not connect anywhere on the TJ side so I just taped it up. Simply match the rest of the colors and connect by which ever means you feel is most suitable (solder, butt connectors, wire to wire etc.).
The radio is a very tight fit into the hole on the TJ. I did not take pics but suppose I could if it would help someone but this is what I did: On the bottom of the radio (left and right sides) there are two bolt holes that I used a dremel to cut off, just simply cut the square off where the bolt hole is, it is all plastic and will not damage the radio in anyway, there are also two aligning pegs that also need to be cut off. I don't remember the exact location of them but they are pretty obvious and need to be cut off as well. Secondly on the inside of the TJ radio opening you will notice that on the top and bottom in all four corners there is a raised portion of the plastic. I simply used my dremel with a grinding/cutoff wheel and ground those areas down flat. I plugged in the harness to the vehicle side, plugged in the antenna to the vehicle side, then hooked both to the radio. Even with the key in the off position you will hear the CD changer start cycling. I let it go through it's complete cycle before turning it on for the first time. After it was done, i powered it up and everything worked wonderfully.
This particular stereo will let you eject cd's even with the ignition in the off position. You can not load them though only eject them. I am on a 24 hour duty shift today so I will not have the chance to work on the bezel but that is the plan for tomorrow. I will likely run to the junkyard tomorrow and grab the center bezel from an 06 TJ and hack that one up so that I can also get the added 12volt power source, as the newer ones have two instead of one. It will also give me the option for four rocker switches instead of the three spots I have now (not that I am even using the other two I have now), it's just nice to have the option.
Any questions or advice thus far feel free to chime in or ask.
Well I got me a few hours of sleep then tackled the cutting of the bezel. Not as clean as I wanted it for the first cut but it's in and looks pretty good IMO. Just had to trim a little around where the volume and tuner knob are then had to cut the upper piece that is right under the vents. I am happy with it and glad I decided to tackle this project.