Steering wheel audio controls - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Jeep Discussions > Communications and Electronics

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-09-2011, 10:45 AM   #31
Newb
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 2
upgrade

you need to get dealer to a sofware upgrade or it will kee happenin

horndawg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-26-2011, 04:51 PM   #32
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
had my Mango Tango 4 dr Sahara since mid-July 2011. Love it so far. I just had the weird steering wheel issue today and glad I found this forum. The honk worked but when I bring it in for it's oil change I will mention it and see if they will upgrade the software so it doesn't happen again.
I have another question and I'm not sure where to post it., so here it is. On the speedometer it can display the direction and temp (as you scroll through the menu). However, the direction is completely wrong. If I'm heading South for example, it says North. Anyone else have this issue and how to fix it? Since a simple honk fixed the other issue I figured there may be a simple way to get the correct direction read out.

konakai is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-26-2011, 08:58 PM   #33
Jeeper
 
moscoeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, KY
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by konakai
had my Mango Tango 4 dr Sahara since mid-July 2011. Love it so far. I just had the weird steering wheel issue today and glad I found this forum. The honk worked but when I bring it in for it's oil change I will mention it and see if they will upgrade the software so it doesn't happen again.
I have another question and I'm not sure where to post it., so here it is. On the speedometer it can display the direction and temp (as you scroll through the menu). However, the direction is completely wrong. If I'm heading South for example, it says North. Anyone else have this issue and how to fix it? Since a simple honk fixed the other issue I figured there may be a simple way to get the correct direction read out.
If I remember correctly, you need to drive out to empty parking lot and drive a bunch of circles to calibrate it. Like 5 or 6
moscoeb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2011, 01:54 PM   #34
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by moscoeb View Post
If I remember correctly, you need to drive out to empty parking lot and drive a bunch of circles to calibrate it. Like 5 or 6
Thank you. I will give it a try. My husband actually mentioned he had to drive in 2-4 circles to get his Hummer H2 to calibrate properly too. This forum is very helpful. Many thanks
konakai is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-01-2011, 02:12 PM   #35
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
Steering Wheel Audio Controls

This happened to me also. It is what led me to this site! Most of the steering wheel buttons stopped working on my 2011 (Wrangler Rubicon with Nav). This included all the audio/radio/media buttons and the EVIC/Menu buttons. The cruise control buttons were still working. Your "fix" worked like a charm. I pushed the horn button and everything started working again. I called my local Jeep dealer and asked him if he had ever encountered this problem and he said he had not. I previously had a similar issue with a seat belt light staying on when the seat belt was already latched. I wonder if it is reladed to the same eratic electronics? These electronics are apparently NOT ready for prime time.
TrailJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-01-2011, 11:01 PM   #36
Jeeper
 
moscoeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, KY
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by konakai
Thank you. I will give it a try. My husband actually mentioned he had to drive in 2-4 circles to get his Hummer H2 to calibrate properly too. This forum is very helpful. Many thanks
Did ya ever get the compass straightened out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrailJeep
This happened to me also. It is what led me to this site! Most of the steering wheel buttons stopped working on my 2011 (Wrangler Rubicon with Nav). This included all the audio/radio/media buttons and the EVIC/Menu buttons. The cruise control buttons were still working. Your "fix" worked like a charm. I pushed the horn button and everything started working again. I called my local Jeep dealer and asked him if he had ever encountered this problem and he said he had not. I previously had a similar issue with a seat belt light staying on when the seat belt was already latched. I wonder if it is reladed to the same eratic electronics? These electronics are apparently NOT ready for prime time.
Good, glad it worked. I think the steering wheel is related to the special type spring that is used to make contact while allowing it to fully revolve. Apparently it looses contact and by hitting the horn, you are just pushing it back into place.
I wouldn't think the seat belt light is the same. Not for sure thiugh
moscoeb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-27-2012, 10:26 PM   #37
Jeeper
 
Aftahour's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: murrieta/irvine, ca
Posts: 539
So weird. I tried this other method by smacking the steering wheel @ 2 o'clock position. Didn't work. Smacked the horn and everything started working. Need to make appt. to get software update.
Aftahour is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #38
Newb
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Georgia
Posts: 2
I too have a 2011 and had the same problem. The horn thing worked!! If I remember i'll mention it at the next service visit.
dg1960 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-23-2014, 06:08 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
Jaredcwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Posts: 36
Hey guys hope i'm not digging up a thread too old but I have a relevant question. I recently (Feb 2014) picked up a 11' Sport S 2dr and I have this issue. I stopped by the dealer today for Oil Change and Tire Rotation and asked them to look at it. With my certified pre owned warr it will only cost me $100 to have the switch replaced (they had to order it) which they say should fix the issue. If it doesn't they're willing to replace the steering wheel, etc to get it "fixed" for that original $100. Does anyone know if there is a long term solution from Jeep for this yet or would I just be wasting the $100.

If it hasn't I'll skip them putting in this part and me spending the $100 and I'll live with this honking solution.
Jaredcwood is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-23-2014, 10:25 PM   #40
Jeeper
 
moscoeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Richmond, KY
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaredcwood View Post
Hey guys hope i'm not digging up a thread too old but I have a relevant question. I recently (Feb 2014) picked up a 11' Sport S 2dr and I have this issue. I stopped by the dealer today for Oil Change and Tire Rotation and asked them to look at it. With my certified pre owned warr it will only cost me $100 to have the switch replaced (they had to order it) which they say should fix the issue. If it doesn't they're willing to replace the steering wheel, etc to get it "fixed" for that original $100. Does anyone know if there is a long term solution from Jeep for this yet or would I just be wasting the $100. If it hasn't I'll skip them putting in this part and me spending the $100 and I'll live with this honking solution.
As far as I know, there is no solution. Seems to be a weakness of the clock spring. I personally would save my money, but it's your money and your jeep.
moscoeb is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
Jaredcwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Hamilton, NJ
Posts: 36
yeah well it sounds like I could have the same problem even after they "fix it" so maybe I'll just hold on my to cash.

Jaredcwood is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
audio , steering wheel

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
TJ airbag light on and horn not working, clockspring DontTellMeAboutCajun TJ General Discussion Forum 8 07-14-2012 03:47 PM
opinions on steering wheel size? kayslaw YJ General Discussion Forum 0 09-14-2010 09:20 AM
97 TJ Plz Guide me to Replace Steering Wheel hotdog TJ Tech Forum 2 12-16-2009 10:27 AM
Removing the steering wheel... George T. YJ Tech Forum 6 08-13-2008 12:26 AM
Steering Wheel Blues.... jeepthing270 TJ General Discussion Forum 1 05-24-2008 12:23 AM



Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:01 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC