Stereo Gurus, Need Your Input - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Tech Forums > Communications and Electronics

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-10-2014, 05:10 PM   #1
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
atx-jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 77
Stereo Gurus, Need Your Input

Putting together my system upgrade for 2014 JKU. While I'm fairly comfortable with installing and wiring I'm not very well versed when it comes to matching up components as far as wattage, ohms, etc. Here is my list. Does this system look like it will work? Have completely base system now. Any recommendations or suggestions appreciated.

730n Head Unit (Yes I know this is not optimal for a great system but going to try to roll with it for now for several reasons)

to an

Audio Control LC6i

to an

Alpine PDX-V9 (4 CHANNEL + MONO AMPLIFIER 100 watts RMS x 4 + 500 watts RMS x 1 at 2 or 4 ohms Class-D amplifier design)

to the

2 Helix 10" Custom Box from eBay (250w 4ohm)
Helix Box

and also to

Polk DB651 Compnents for dash (100w cont. 4ohm)
Polk DB651 Coaxial for Soundbar (60w cont. 4ohm)

or for a little more power

Alpine SPR-60 for soundbar (100w)
Alpine SPR-60c Components for dash (110w)

Thanks for the help.

atx-jk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 154
Looks good. I would run the Polks in the bar and dash. For the sub I would wire them each to 2ohm then wire them together to get to 4

Kingcat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,052
Images: 2
The Helix Box is 500wattsRMS, not 250watts. The Helix subs are 250wattsRMS each times 2. The Helix Box should be plug and play, so no internal re-wiring is necessary. I would contact the seller to confirm. If it is setup properly, you should be able to just plug the RCA's into it.

The Polk DB651 Coaxial Speakers will "not" work @60wattsRMS powered by a 100watt RMS amp. The Alpine amp will blow out those Polks. This is the reason for giving the RMS of the speaker. The RMS value tells you the continuous wattage limitations of the speakers.
The Polk Component Speakers are DB6501, not DB651.

So, of course, with that amp the Alpine R's would be best.(Based on your speaker choices) I've seen some great online prices for them too.

I'm assuming the 730N is the stock HU?

Other than mentioned above, I don't see a problem. Maybe someone else will see it differently.
ChasUGC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2014, 07:27 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasUGC View Post
The Helix Box is 500wattsRMS, not 250watts. The Helix subs are 250wattsRMS each times 2. The Helix Box should be plug and play, so no internal re-wiring is necessary. I would contact the seller to confirm. If it is setup properly, you should be able to just plug the RCA's into it.

The Polk DB651 Coaxial Speakers will "not" work @60wattsRMS powered by a 100watt RMS amp. The Alpine amp will blow out those Polks. This is the reason for giving the RMS of the speaker. The RMS value tells you the continuous wattage limitations of the speakers.
The Polk Component Speakers are DB6501, not DB651.

So, of course, with that amp the Alpines would be best.

I'm assuming the 730N is the stock HU?
How would you just hook RCA's its not a powered sub.

You will be fine with a 60w speaker as long as you set your gain correctly with a dmm.

Yes 730n is a OE unit.
Kingcat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #5
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
atx-jk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 77
Thanks for the info fellas. The 730n I actually got from a buddy on the cheap as he went aftermarket.

I was a little worried about that power rating on the Polks. I'd prefer to go Alpine but can't find a ton of reviews about them as opposed to the Polks.

I will confirm on the internal wiring on the box. Again, appreciate the input.
atx-jk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2014, 08:16 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,052
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcat View Post
How would you just hook RCA's its not a powered sub.

You will be fine with a 60w speaker as long as you set your gain correctly with a dmm.

Yes 730n is a OE unit.
I was thinking about the connection from the Amp. The Amp should connect directly to the input on the box. It is a speaker wire terminal, and not a RCA connection. You are correct on that point.

But, you DO NOT want to use the Polk 60watt speakers combined with 100watt speakers on a 100watt amp. What's the point of having a powerful 100watt amp, if you can't use it because of inferior speakers.

Also, some people mix up gain and volume. Gain is not a volume control. You use the gain to setup the cleanest signal to your speakers, not to limit the volume to them.

If you did gain down the 60watt signal so much, as to not blow them, what would the sound stage sound like combined with 100watt speakers?

I think it would sound horrible. A completely unbalanced system. I had speakers properly gained that were incompatible with my amp. They blew out. Don't repeat my mistake.

They were properly gained based on the distortion, which the gain controls. Not the amps power(wattage/volume), which was too much for the speakers.
ChasUGC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2014, 08:32 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,052
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by atx-jk View Post
Thanks for the info fellas. The 730n I actually got from a buddy on the cheap as he went aftermarket.

I was a little worried about that power rating on the Polks. I'd prefer to go Alpine but can't find a ton of reviews about them as opposed to the Polks.

I will confirm on the internal wiring on the box. Again, appreciate the input.
I've heard nothing but good things about the Alpine Type R speakers.

Alpine SPR-60 (SPR60) 6.5" 2-Way Type-R Coaxial Car Speakers

Don't say I didn't warn you, if you go with 60watt speakers mixed with 100watt speakers and a 100watt amp.

For the Sub Box, there should be a terminal on the outside of the box, and the speakers should be wired to 4 ohms, which is standard for 4 ohm speakers. You shouldn't have to do anything internally with the box and it should be sealed. I would just ask the seller if the speakers are wired up, and if there is a terminal on the outside of the box. If yes, then it is 4ohms.
And, your amp is 4ohms, so you have a match.

I'm not sure about your steering wheel controls, which may be another issue.
ChasUGC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2014, 09:10 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasUGC View Post


Also, some people mix up gain and volume. Gain is not a volume control. You use the gain to setup the cleanest signal to your speakers, not to limit the volume to them.

If you did gain down the 60watt signal so much, as to not blow them, what would the sound stage sound like combined with 100watt speakers?

I think it would sound horrible. A completely unbalanced system. I had speakers properly gained that were incompatible with my amp. They blew out. Don't repeat my mistake.

They were properly gained based on the distortion, which the gain controls. Not the amps power(wattage/volume), which was too much for the speakers.
Actually the sound stage would be great as the majority of the sound would be coming from in front of you like it should be.

Also please explain to me how I have been running 60w speakers on a 100w amp for 2years + and have no issues in many vehicle's.

The proper way to set gain is with a dmm and a test tone. This will let you properly set the amount of power the amp gives to the speaker. Every system I install I run bigger amps then needed for the reason of future upgrade. I have only had one come back and that is because he tried to to reset the gain by ear. Once set with dmm you run many types of music and tones trough the system and if distortion is present you lower the gain. This is caused by companies over rating there speakers to make them look better to people who do not know.

You should also never go above 3/4 volume on the head as this introduces distortion into the signal that can not be overcome. You could run a 60w speaker on 100w and have it live if the signal. You could also blow a 100w speaker on only 60w just from a bad signal.
Kingcat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2014, 09:13 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 154
The only way to properly gain an amp by distortion only is with an oscilloscope.
Kingcat is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2014, 09:34 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
ChasUGC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 2,052
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingcat View Post
The only way to properly gain an amp by distortion only is with an oscilloscope.
I guess I have oscilloscope ears then. lol.

Wait a minute, are you insulting my ears?

ChasUGC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC