Alpine Loop - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > New Mexico Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #31
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
kenb1023's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Edgewood NM
Posts: 978
I am headed up that way in a few weeks. The wife and I hoonymooned up there in Ouray in 82 but we only had a Pinto back then. Went back a few times after we got our S10 Taho Blazer and went close to the top of Mt Sneffels. Now we have the Jeep and plan on doing even more. Need to be carefull as we dont have the lockers yet.

__________________
2007 Black JKU now known as the Black Mistress. 2.5 TF Coil Lift w/Bilstein 5100 Series Shocks, 33x12.5x15 Duratracs on MB Chaos 5 Wheels, XRC MOD front Bumper, Smitybilt X2O Comp 8000 Winch, LOD Gen 4 Rear Bumper, s-Pod Swith system, Amp Research Retractable Side Steps, Polly performance Suspension Bolt upgrade Superchip Programer and more
kenb1023 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-08-2013, 10:15 PM   #32
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
NMBruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NM, CO
Posts: 719
Images: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenb1023 View Post
I am headed up that way in a few weeks. The wife and I hoonymooned up there in Ouray in 82 but we only had a Pinto back then. Went back a few times after we got our S10 Taho Blazer and went close to the top of Mt Sneffels. Now we have the Jeep and plan on doing even more. Need to be carefull as we dont have the lockers yet.
The Alpine Loop is not a problem without lockers, stay off of Black Bear Pass and Poughkeepsie Gulch and I think you should be OK. Do be careful of the route from Hwy550 to the start of Engineer Pass.

Here is a good link to trails
TrailDamage.com - All Trails

Check out the Labor day weekend trip also.

__________________
I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque! - Bugs Bunny
NMBruce is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #33
Jeeper
 
callbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cortez Colo
Posts: 636
Why stay off Blackbear? We did last year with 3 Grand Cherokees and 2 TJ's. Mostly down hill and the only so called hard part is the switchbacks that take 2 or 3 point turns to get around. Rental jeeps do it all the time. Can do without lockers easily.
callbob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #34
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
NMBruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NM, CO
Posts: 719
Images: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by callbob View Post
Why stay off Blackbear? We did last year with 3 Grand Cherokees and 2 TJ's. Mostly down hill and the only so called hard part is the switchbacks that take 2 or 3 point turns to get around. Rental jeeps do it all the time. Can do without lockers easily.
This is one of the ones I have not yet done, and was told to do it with a locker and I wouldn't do it alone, not sure he is going with another vehicle. Not a good idea to do any of them alone, but I would do the Alpine loop, California Pass, Ophir, and even Imogene by myself.
__________________
I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque! - Bugs Bunny
NMBruce is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #35
Jeeper
 
callbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cortez Colo
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBruce View Post

This is one of the ones I have not yet done, and was told to do it with a locker and I wouldn't do it alone, not sure he is going with another vehicle. Not a good idea to do any of them alone, but I would do the Alpine loop, California Pass, Ophir, and even Imogene by myself.
Ophir can be done in a car. I have done some of the others in a 4wd chevy pu but years ago and dont remember which ones. I wouldnt do bb alone but lockers are not needed, mostly common sense. Fun trip fo sho.
callbob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #36
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
NMBruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NM, CO
Posts: 719
Images: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by callbob View Post
Ophir can be done in a car. I have done some of the others in a 4wd chevy pu but years ago and dont remember which ones. I wouldnt do bb alone but lockers are not needed, mostly common sense. Fun trip fo sho.
And I am looking forward to it, I error on the conservative side if possible

__________________
I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque! - Bugs Bunny
NMBruce is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:21 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC