the basic needed - Page 2 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > New Mexico Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 06-17-2013, 04:53 PM   #31
Jeeper
 
Jt_Ripper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandocon View Post
Thanks for the kind words, I've been lucky myself and learned a lot from fellow wheelers like yourself over the past decade of Jeepin. I always say I had a winch on my TJ for 7 years and never used it on my own Jeep but did use it plenty on helping others and that is what it comes down to in our Jeep community. Bobs having a winch and allowing us to use it moved up my winch purchase time. : )
Tires for me!!!

Jt_Ripper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #32
Jeeper
 
abqtj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandocon View Post
Thanks for the kind words, I've been lucky myself and learned a lot from fellow wheelers like yourself over the past decade of Jeepin. I always say I had a winch on my TJ for 7 years and never used it on my own Jeep but did use it plenty on helping others and that is what it comes down to in our Jeep community. Bobs having a winch and allowing us to use it moved up my winch purchase time. : )
x2. I'm positive I've used my winch 2 to 1 on other vehicles versus my own, if not much more.

__________________
nmoffroad
abqtj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #33
Jeeper
 
Scampers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 303
Lift and wheels for me. Lift going on next week. Fingers crossed
__________________
______________________
2012 Jeep Wrangler Sport
2004 Jeep Liberty
Scampers is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 09:04 PM   #34
Jeeper
 
Commandocon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rio Rancho
Posts: 382
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by callbob View Post
fun day yesterday. Good times, good company. Potential disaster averted because of right tools and capable people. One key thing and I think Paul said it later, was let ONE person do the directing. Less confusion. Good job Paul btw. I have pics and will put up later but the videos are killer. Good job guys and NMBruce put up some great shots as well. Nice having you join us and hope you had a good time even though JT was pretty mild this trip. lol
Those Rubi's are awesome machines from built like Pauls and a little more mild like Tim's to stock like Bruce. Pretty impressive.

Good job by you as well, I had never heard of ENGO winch much before I saw yours in action, like I said out there, I was very impressed and I looked them up after, great reviews, great prices, I am going with Engo EPF10000S with Syn 3/8 Rope, it even comes with a alumi hawse, all shipped for only $437 you can not beat that. I usually research what I want, hope to see it work or not and buy it.
__________________
Synergy 3" Phase 3,FOX,RCVs,37" TOYOs,17HD TrailReady Beads,CO2,5.13s,52"

Commandocon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #35
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
wat3rdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 4,782
Images: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scampers View Post
Lift and wheels for me. Lift going on next week. Fingers crossed
Schedule is set
__________________
wat3rdog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-18-2013, 11:27 AM   #36
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
NMBruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NM, CO
Posts: 719
Images: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by callbob View Post
fun day yesterday. Good times, good company. Potential disaster averted because of right tools and capable people. One key thing and I think Paul said it later, was let ONE person do the directing. Less confusion. Good job Paul btw. I have pics and will put up later but the videos are killer. Good job guys and NMBruce put up some great shots as well. Nice having you join us and hope you had a good time even though JT was pretty mild this trip. lol
Those Rubi's are awesome machines from built like Pauls and a little more mild like Tim's to stock like Bruce. Pretty impressive.
I know people love to mod their Jeeps, and that is great, take "Chryslers Jeep" and make it "your Jeep". For me, I needed to see what this Jeep could do and then take it from there. My plan is to build an "expedition Jeep", but now I know, I could use a 2-2.5" lift and 33 or maybe 35 tires. This past Saturday, my limiting factor was ME, but my goal was to go out and have fun, start to get a feel for the Jeep and not bend up my running boards. Thanks to a great bunch of guys and a beautiful day, I got to do just that.

And if you live in the area and have stock Jeep, come out and play, you will enjoy it.
__________________
I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque! - Bugs Bunny
NMBruce is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 12:08 AM   #37
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
NMBruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NM, CO
Posts: 719
Images: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandocon View Post
Good job by you as well, I had never heard of ENGO winch much before I saw yours in action, like I said out there, I was very impressed and I looked them up after, great reviews, great prices, I am going with Engo EPF10000S with Syn 3/8 Rope, it even comes with a alumi hawse, all shipped for only $437 you can not beat that. I usually research what I want, hope to see it work or not and buy it.
I wonder if this will fit a Warn JK Elite Series Bumper
Warn Jeep JK Elite Series Front Bumper with grille guard tube (WRN87750)
__________________
I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque! - Bugs Bunny
NMBruce is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 05:26 PM   #38
Jeeper
 
Commandocon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rio Rancho
Posts: 382
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBruce View Post
I wonder if this will fit a Warn JK Elite Series Bumper
Warn Jeep JK Elite Series Front Bumper with grille guard tube (WRN87750)
I dont see why not, if i recall all bumper winches mounts are 10" x 4" give or take, id measure the mount holes on bumper and cross ref the winch mount holes. If you are trying to keep the "aerodynamics" of your JK or just like the recessed winch bumpers id measure the opening and cross ref the dimensions of the winch.

I ordered my 10K Engo today for just $289 shipped, i was going to get the synthetic line version but realized the steel line it comes with is 3/8 heavy duty already and may upgrade to 3/8 synthetic line in the future, mainly to remove the added weight steel line adds to the front of the jeep also syn is much more safe and its even stronger. I talked to Chris from truck/jeep add on in the vendor section, very educated and friendly to deal with, i highly recommend. There are so many options for whinches, I have no problem dropping $1K on a Warn but see huge value for equal performance at 1/3 the price. And will soon use the remaining $700 saved on sliders. There is a great article/test recently done by four wheeler magazine, Engo was 1 of 2 left still operational, not perfect, its slow but each brand has its pros and cons.
__________________
Synergy 3" Phase 3,FOX,RCVs,37" TOYOs,17HD TrailReady Beads,CO2,5.13s,52"

Commandocon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #39
Jeeper
 
abqtj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 261
Yeah I've heard really positive things about that winch, Paul. I'm sure you'll like it.
__________________
nmoffroad
abqtj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 06:33 PM   #40
Jeeper
 
Commandocon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rio Rancho
Posts: 382
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqtj View Post
Yeah I've heard really positive things about that winch, Paul. I'm sure you'll like it.
i think so, its tough believing in a upstart when warn and others have been proven for decades, its just to bad their over head is so high they need to charge so much.
__________________
Synergy 3" Phase 3,FOX,RCVs,37" TOYOs,17HD TrailReady Beads,CO2,5.13s,52"

Commandocon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #41
Jeeper
 
callbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cortez Colo
Posts: 636
That article led me to buy. 9000 lb with synthetic line $400 shipped. I forgot who I got it from will have to look it up if anybody cares.
callbob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-19-2013, 07:14 PM   #42
Jeeper
 
abqtj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandocon View Post
i think so, its tough believing in a upstart when warn and others have been proven for decades, its just to bad their over head is so high they need to charge so much.
They got my dollars yet again
__________________
nmoffroad
abqtj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 10:06 PM   #43
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
NMBruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NM, CO
Posts: 719
Images: 20
Well thanks to abqtj, my CB is up and running


Also, got my Fire extinguisher mount, so it should go in this weekend
__________________
I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque! - Bugs Bunny
NMBruce is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 06-25-2013, 10:44 PM   #44
Jeeper
 
abqtj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBruce View Post
Well thanks to abqtj, my CB is up and running


Also, got my Fire extinguisher mount, so it should go in this weekend


Good to meet you today, Bruce.
__________________
nmoffroad
abqtj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 03:06 PM   #45
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
NMBruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NM, CO
Posts: 719
Images: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfire View Post
I think your list is good and your December adds better. You can avoid a lift if you do metal cloak fenders. That will get you all the clearance and travel you need with 33".

Other things that are god to have would be
Tool kit
Air tank ( to air down and back up)
First aid kit

Under body armor is always nice but do you want to go that deep, far or technical to really need it with a "stock" jeep?

Axle reinforcement is really for HEAVY rock crawling of big 37"+ tires

Fred gave me good advice here, but I have been think, maybe over thinking this, but here are my thoughts, let me know what you guys think.

My goal is to travel and do off road expedition travel, which could take me a good distance away from paved roads. With that type of travel I want to do, thinking I should beef up some things and give me the best shot of completely my trip.

1) 2-2.5, higher could put strain on the drive system
2) 33-35" tires, between that and lift, could make the difference of get over rocks, trees, etc.
3) under body armor, oil pan, tranny, transfer case, full, rear axle. NEED OR NOT AND WHICH ONES?
4) Synergy bolt kit, just to stop un need wear on the front suspension parts ?
5) axle sleeves and gussets, as Fred said, need for 37+, but a good idea or waste of time?


What would you do, add, etc
Should I change or add something to maintenance schedule ??
__________________
I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque! - Bugs Bunny
NMBruce is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 03:14 PM   #46
Jeeper
 
abqtj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 261
I'm looking at some t-case/oil pan skids (can't find what I liked the other day now...always the dang case!).

I'm of the opinion that you want armor and recovery first and foremost, then bells and whistles second.

Your list looks good to me (I know nothing of that bolt kit except everyone says to get it...not sure why, though).
__________________
nmoffroad
abqtj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 03:19 PM   #47
Jeeper
 
abqtj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 261
Found it...Clayton



I like the look and fit of this system.
__________________
nmoffroad
abqtj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #48
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
NMBruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NM, CO
Posts: 719
Images: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqtj View Post
Found it...Clayton



I like the look and fit of this system.
Nice but $$$, but if it saves your butt, it's worth it. Maybe around Thanksgiving, there will be some sales
__________________
I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque! - Bugs Bunny
NMBruce is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 05:25 PM   #49
Jeeper
 
callbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cortez Colo
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by NMBruce View Post
Fred gave me good advice here, but I have been think, maybe over thinking this, but here are my thoughts, let me know what you guys think.

My goal is to travel and do off road expedition travel, which could take me a good distance away from paved roads. With that type of travel I want to do, thinking I should beef up some things and give me the best shot of completely my trip.

1) 2-2.5, higher could put strain on the drive system
2) 33-35" tires, between that and lift, could make the difference of get over rocks, trees, etc.
3) under body armor, oil pan, tranny, transfer case, full, rear axle. NEED OR NOT AND WHICH ONES?
4) Synergy bolt kit, just to stop un need wear on the front suspension parts ?
5) axle sleeves and gussets, as Fred said, need for 37+, but a good idea or waste of time?


What would you do, add, etc
Should I change or add something to maintenance schedule ??
Bruce

Do not try 35's with 2 2.5 lift. won't clear. 33's will be close. My last TJ when I lived in Havasu, I put on a Rancho 2.5 lift and 32 Goodyear MTR's. Went everywhere I wanted to go in the desert and could probably do some rock crawling if need be. I have never done a synergy bolt kit, never needed to do it I guess running what I was running with previous jeeps so don't really know if this is a "must have or want".
callbob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 07:02 PM   #50
Jeeper
 
Commandocon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rio Rancho
Posts: 382
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqtj View Post
I'm looking at some t-case/oil pan skids (can't find what I liked the other day now...always the dang case!).

I'm of the opinion that you want armor and recovery first and foremost, then bells and whistles second.
Completely agree, armor and recovery, JK front axles are weakest point on the entire jeep, my C gussets were $40, some cost $80, synergy has a complete armor kit but its money, ive been looking at rockhard oil skid and gas tank skid, diff cover armor, anything you can potentialy puncture and fluid bleeds out of needs upgrading IMO, steel brake lines, recovery points ( D rings) front and rear, a good strap, winch
__________________
Synergy 3" Phase 3,FOX,RCVs,37" TOYOs,17HD TrailReady Beads,CO2,5.13s,52"

Commandocon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 07:17 PM   #51
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Darkfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Abq
Posts: 1,908
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by callbob View Post

Bruce

Do not try 35's with 2 2.5 lift. won't clear. 33's will be close. My last TJ when I lived in Havasu, I put on a Rancho 2.5 lift and 32 Goodyear MTR's. Went everywhere I wanted to go in the desert and could probably do some rock crawling if need be. I have never done a synergy bolt kit, never needed to do it I guess running what I was running with previous jeeps so don't really know if this is a "must have or want".
That is true Bob, for a TJ. But he has a JK and 35" would fit without any issues with a 2.5 lift. It's tire size that creates ground clearance, and with a jk he can easily have both.

My 2 cents
__________________
NewMexicoJeepGroup
"By Jeeper's for Jeeper's."

Build # 1 Matchbox Edition JKU Dozer Build

Build #2 11 Day JKU Magazine Build
Darkfire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #52
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
NMBruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NM, CO
Posts: 719
Images: 20
Thanks everyone, that is why I ask, because you guys are a world of good information.

Now I just need to get some money and then help putting it all together
__________________
I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque! - Bugs Bunny
NMBruce is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #53
Jeeper
 
abqtj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Commandocon View Post
Completely agree, armor and recovery, JK front axles are weakest point on the entire jeep, my C gussets were $40, some cost $80, synergy has a complete armor kit but its money, ive been looking at rockhard oil skid and gas tank skid, diff cover armor, anything you can potentialy puncture and fluid bleeds out of needs upgrading IMO, steel brake lines, recovery points ( D rings) front and rear, a good strap, winch
I'm leaning towards the Artec front axle gussets/truss/skids. Heard anything good/bad about them? It's about $250 for the whole shebang.
__________________
nmoffroad
abqtj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 08:18 PM   #54
Jeeper
 
Commandocon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rio Rancho
Posts: 382
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqtj View Post
I'm leaning towards the Artec front axle gussets/truss/skids. Heard anything good/bad about them? It's about $250 for the whole shebang.
Ive heard really good things about artec, I like that kit, but im going to cut off all the thin metal control arm mounts and do a outer sleeve like i had on the TJ and weld back on heavy duty CA mounts or else id go artec, both systems run about $250, cant go wrong either way.
__________________
Synergy 3" Phase 3,FOX,RCVs,37" TOYOs,17HD TrailReady Beads,CO2,5.13s,52"

Commandocon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 08:58 PM   #55
Jeeper
 
mckey73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Scappoose
Posts: 10,561
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqtj View Post
I'm leaning towards the Artec front axle gussets/truss/skids. Heard anything good/bad about them? It's about $250 for the whole shebang.
Hey Steve, I've tested the stock t-case skids and I'm happy with their strength. I did buy the engine skid from M.O.R.E. off road and am very happy with it. Just make sure you get a fumoto valve to replace your drain plug b/c their drain hole doesn't work as advertised.

As far as the front axle goes I am going to get the Artec "C" kit but have been leaning towards the poly sleeves. Still kicking this one around...
__________________
“Animals don't hate, and we're supposed to be better than them.”

-Elvis Presley
mckey73 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 09:10 PM   #56
Jeeper
 
callbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Cortez Colo
Posts: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkfire View Post
That is true Bob, for a TJ. But he has a JK and 35" would fit without any issues with a 2.5 lift. It's tire size that creates ground clearance, and with a jk he can easily have both.

My 2 cents
You are right, I was thinking TJ. Can't imagine any other type lol
callbob is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #57
Jeeper
 
abqtj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Albuquerque, NM
Posts: 261
Quote:
Originally Posted by mckey73 View Post
Hey Steve, I've tested the stock t-case skids and I'm happy with their strength. I did buy the engine skid from M.O.R.E. off road and am very happy with it. Just make sure you get a fumoto valve to replace your drain plug b/c their drain hole doesn't work as advertised.

As far as the front axle goes I am going to get the Artec "C" kit but have been leaning towards the poly sleeves. Still kicking this one around...
Good to hear. I'll likely go with a full skid system of some kind simply because I know how much I drug the underbelly of my TJ all over the place and I don't plan on lifting this one NEARLY as high
__________________
nmoffroad
abqtj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #58
Jeeper
 
Commandocon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Rio Rancho
Posts: 382
Images: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqtj View Post
Good to hear. I'll likely go with a full skid system of some kind simply because I know how much I drug the underbelly of my TJ all over the place and I don't plan on lifting this one NEARLY as high

That's why I just went 3", the TJ was 5 1/2+ bodylift, so far ive only touched the crossmember once, I like the full systems out there. I like the JCR sliders but ive heard fit is not good on some, I don't see buying a part and finish the engineering on it so it will work. Then i read the latest batch are spot on so who knows. I have seen the poison sliders in action and like them a lot.
__________________
Synergy 3" Phase 3,FOX,RCVs,37" TOYOs,17HD TrailReady Beads,CO2,5.13s,52"

Commandocon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #59
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
NMBruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NM, CO
Posts: 719
Images: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by abqtj View Post
Good to hear. I'll likely go with a full skid system of some kind simply because I know how much I drug the underbelly of my TJ all over the place and I don't plan on lifting this one NEARLY as high
The oil pan & transmission plate for $289.99 seems good, this does seem like the best deal, so do you also get the Front skid plate & Evap skid plate?

I am getting a dead pedal also.
__________________
I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque! - Bugs Bunny
NMBruce is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-18-2013, 05:10 PM   #60
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
NMBruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: NM, CO
Posts: 719
Images: 20
I e-mail M.O.R.E about transfer case skid plate, right now they don't have one but they are planning out come out with one this fall. Now M.O.R.E oil pan & transmission plate come with a reinforcement and is powder coat.
Clayton has both pans right now, and the oil & transmission plate is cheaper, but comes unfinished, which I don't like.

But, I think the reinforcement and powder coating make the M.O.R.E a better buy, ordering tonight or tomorrow

__________________
I knew I shoulda taken that left turn at Albuquerque! - Bugs Bunny
NMBruce is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:43 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC