Anyone been to Oceano Dunes? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > California Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-23-2012, 09:16 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
4XSMURF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Silverstrand Beach, CA
Posts: 119
Anyone been to Oceano Dunes?

Thinking of going to Oceano Dunes with my Jeep. I'm a rock-crawler, so I've never done sand or Dunes. I wanted to know if anyone has been out there and what you think about it.

Also, some pointers about wheeling on sand and dunes. Tire pressure, what gear to use, what to bring, etc. Is is safe to go in the dunes and not get stuck?

My rig:

2011 JK Rubicon (4 door)
4.5" lift, 33's
Locked on both ends

Any help would be appreciated

__________________
/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)
4XSMURF is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2012, 09:31 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
RadarRob2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,453
Where you been hiding? The dunes are cool. Air down, 4Hi, and have fun. Just remember a major undercarriage bath is in order when you leave. Salt corrosion sucks. And be prepared to share the dunes with 100,000 other folks.

RadarRob2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2012, 09:51 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
4XSMURF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Silverstrand Beach, CA
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRob2012
Where you been hiding? The dunes are cool. Air down, 4Hi, and have fun. Just remember a major undercarriage bath is in order when you leave. Salt corrosion sucks. And be prepared to share the dunes with 100,000 other folks.
Oh, busy with work, kids are out of school for the summer.... You know, typical bullshit. I'm dying to go out though... Back to Miller and Yellowjacket !
__________________
/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)
4XSMURF is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: So Cal 805
Posts: 920
Oceano is cool. Crowds can be nuts on weekends and holidays but it is a good time. Never been there in my TJ but had a blast in the XJ, Ram Megacab, Quads, dirtbikes, etc. No need for lockers and 15 psi got me through every time. 4
Xjman1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
RadarRob2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4XSMURF

Oh, busy with work, kids are out of school for the summer.... You know, typical bullshit. I'm dying to go out though... Back to Miller and Yellowjacket !
I can relate to the work thing. Seems like it's all I do anymore. Just did a day run yesterday, met some good people. And I'm dying to get back on the Rocks at Calico. Lol
RadarRob2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2012, 10:02 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
Lab Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nipomo, CA
Posts: 3,892
I live here, yes the dunes can be fun and they can get crowded. Fall and winter are the best here. Once the schools are back in session we don't get as much tourist traffic. When the weather cools down in the Valley, (Bakersfield, Fresno, etc.) the folks from there stay there. We locals love that time of year best.

We don't venture out there much, not a fan of the damage salt water and sand do to a Jeep over time. Once in awhile is okay, it's fun to just drive out there and see some of the rigs and people. It's become ATV heaven, they are like ants crawling all over and you have to watch out since 90% of them are stupid and reckless.

They have really started enforcing safety on them and you won't be allowed out Sand Highway without a flag, just an FYI. You will need to air down, not sure what your Jeep is equipped with, but you don't have to be modded to get out to the back competition hill and other areas.

If your looking to climb some of the bigger stuff you might have clearance issues if stock, just depends what your looking to do. We used to have a dune buggy, that was the best way to enjoy the dunes. It didn't matter about sand, saltwater or rust and we could go anywhere.

One thing you will need to pay attention to is the tide, you will have to cross the creek to get down to the Dunes. If tide is high it can be pretty deep and you won't want to cross. We used to ditch school on stormy days and sit on the hillside watching the Valley people try to cross. I've seen dozens of trucks, campers & a motorhome get washed out to sea. Not a place you want your Jeep to go

It's a fun trip, it's the only place in Calif. like it so everyone should go at least once to experience it. I haven't taken this Jeep down there yet, I've been trying to set up a photo shoot out there with my Son in Law, he has just been too busy. I figure the Fall with a nice sunset and less tourist will be a good time.

Lisa
__________________
What do Jeeps & Margaritas have in common?
Both are better on the rocks.

Life's better with two Jeeps: One for the Mall and one to crawl
Lab Lover is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
4XSMURF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Silverstrand Beach, CA
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Lover
I live here, yes the dunes can be fun and they can get crowded. Fall and winter are the best here. Once the schools are back in session we don't get as much tourist traffic. When the weather cools down in the Valley, (Bakersfield, Fresno, etc.) the folks from there stay there. We locals love that time of year best.

We don't venture out there much, not a fan of the damage salt water and sand do to a Jeep over time. Once in awhile is okay, it's fun to just drive out there and see some of the rigs and people. It's become ATV heaven, they are like ants crawling all over and you have to watch out since 90% of them are stupid and reckless.

They have really started enforcing safety on them and you won't be allowed out Sand Highway without a flag, just an FYI. You will need to air down, not sure what your Jeep is equipped with, but you don't have to be modded to get out to the back competition hill and other areas.

If your looking to climb some of the bigger stuff you might have clearance issues if stock, just depends what your looking to do. We used to have a dune buggy, that was the best way to enjoy the dunes. It didn't matter about sand, saltwater or rust and we could go anywhere.

One thing you will need to pay attention to is the tide, you will have to cross the creek to get down to the Dunes. If tide is high it can be pretty deep and you won't want to cross. We used to ditch school on stormy days and sit on the hillside watching the Valley people try to cross. I've seen dozens of trucks, campers & a motorhome get washed out to sea. Not a place you want your Jeep to go

It's a fun trip, it's the only place in Calif. like it so everyone should go at least once to experience it. I haven't taken this Jeep down there yet, I've been trying to set up a photo shoot out there with my Son in Law, he has just been too busy. I figure the Fall with a nice sunset and less tourist will be a good time.

Lisa
Thank you Lisa for the info. I have a 4.5" lift, but not looking to get crazy. Just cruise around without getting stuck

As car as the flag.... Does it have to be a certain height, or will my CB antenna work? If not, where do you get those?
__________________
/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)
4XSMURF is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2012, 10:24 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Lab Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nipomo, CA
Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4XSMURF View Post
Thank you Lisa for the info. I have a 4.5" lift, but not looking to get crazy. Just cruise around without getting stuck

As car as the flag.... Does it have to be a certain height, or will my CB antenna work? If not, where do you get those?
It has to be a certain height, I'm not sure exactly what that is but I can find out. I think we have one off the old Jeep somewhere and I can ask my Husband to measure it. There are ATV rental places at the Oceano ramp, I know they sell them there. Actually, I think most of our auto parts stores sell them.

You won't have any issues climbing around out there, you will be having to air down pretty low depending on where your at. After we get a good rain it's nice to go out, things are packed pretty good and you can go anywhere.

I've been here my whole life, and its funny how people want to come here to the dunes, my friends and I all want to go away from here to find the rocks. Lol, we always want what we don't have
__________________
What do Jeeps & Margaritas have in common?
Both are better on the rocks.

Life's better with two Jeeps: One for the Mall and one to crawl
Lab Lover is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
4XSMURF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Silverstrand Beach, CA
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Lover
It has to be a certain height, I'm not sure exactly what that is but I can find out. I think we have one off the old Jeep somewhere and I can ask my Husband to measure it. There are ATV rental places at the Oceano ramp, I know they sell them there. Actually, I think most of our auto parts stores sell them.

You won't have any issues climbing around out there, you will be having to air down pretty low depending on where your at. After we get a good rain it's nice to go out, things are packed pretty good and you can go anywhere.

I've been here my whole life, and its funny how people want to come here to the dunes, my friends and I all want to go away from here to find the rocks. Lol, we always want what we don't have
Well, come out out and do some rock crawling with us.
__________________
/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)
4XSMURF is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2012, 10:39 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Lab Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nipomo, CA
Posts: 3,892
I would love to, unfortunately we just bought a short sale property for my daughter and her husband. It needs quite a bit of work to be livable so we've been busting our butts to get it ready.

Hopefully the middle of August we can free up some weekends, I was really hoping to make it to the meet & greet this weekend, but we have to move the kids out of their current place. It just seems there's always something.
__________________
What do Jeeps & Margaritas have in common?
Both are better on the rocks.

Life's better with two Jeeps: One for the Mall and one to crawl
Lab Lover is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-23-2012, 11:06 PM   #11
Newb
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: San Luis Obispo CA
Posts: 4
Flag has to be eight feet from the ground. Safety regs:

Dune Safety Regulations

You can purchase a flag for $10-20 at any off-road shop. There are two thicknesses--the 1/4" is for motorcycles and ATV, get the thicker 3/8" and a suitable bracket. In a pinch you can use a couple steel hose clamps around your roll bar, but weld or bolt on a mount if you can.

Also, no glass bottles; no kites; firewood must be un-milled split wood free of nails (no lumber or scraps).

I used to tool around in my Nissan Hardbody. You won't have any trouble getting around, but it is possible to get stuck in the soft stuff. Tip to avoid getting stuck: NEVER stop in a low spot (bowls)--make sure there is always downhill in front or behind you so you can always drive or back out.

If you get stuck, you can almost always dog-paddle the sand away from your tires and undercarriage. Don't sit and spin your wheels or you'll dig in deeper and sink to the frame. STOP. DIG. Point your wheels straight and drive or back out. If you get re-stuck, DIG AGAIN. Don't slow down in deep, soft areas! Avoid turning in deep, soft areas---your wheels won't turn, they will bulldoze the sand in front of them and you'll dig in.

As you get the hang of it you will better recognize what your vehicle and skills can handle.

You can go down ANY slope without fear. The soft sand will keep you slow. Just point it STRAIGHT DOWN. Don't try to go sideways or you might roll. Be ready to gas it as soon as you hit the transition at the bottom so you don't get stuck in the soft bowl at the bottom.

ALWAYS approach a blind lip SLOWLY and be prepared if another vehicle is coming up the hill. Use a spotter if it's crowded or if you are coming up a hill and doing jumps off the top!

BEWARE that there are sudden and VERY hard to see drop-offs as you head east!! Seriously, I'm not kidding. It is difficult to perceive distance since all the sand looks uniform. Learn to go slow and read the sand carefully. It is easy to mistake a drop-off for a mirage and find yourself launching off the lip. There are a few places in the back where you might not be able to find a moderate route back out. Eyeball the area before you go down and ensure you have a way back up.

Start with the small stuff and work up your skills until you're confident that you can handle the bigger stuff.

DON'T DO DONUTS OR SPEED ON THE BEACH OR AROUND PEOPLE! 15 MPH! YOU WILL GET A TICKET. DON'T CHASE THE BIRDS WITH YOUR VEHICLE! PICK UP YOUR FRIGGIN' TRASH AND BE SAFE!

* * *

Join us in September for Coastal Cleanup Day and help pickup trash:
Coastal Cleanup Day 2012 Oceano Dunes - Your Dunes
SLORider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-24-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: So Cal 805
Posts: 920
I am on north Oxnard. If you need a flag swing on by, i have a few in the garage i believe from my atv's.
Xjman1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Mavrick243's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 750
We should try to make a run out of this! haha that could be fun, cause I wanna try out the sand as well, just to experience it at least once.
Mavrick243 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-24-2012, 08:39 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
4XSMURF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Silverstrand Beach, CA
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick243
We should try to make a run out of this! haha that could be fun, cause I wanna try out the sand as well, just to experience it at least once.
I can post the dates and where we'll be and we can meet up. That way, we can help each other get unstuck
__________________
/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)
4XSMURF is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
4XSMURF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Silverstrand Beach, CA
Posts: 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLORider
Flag has to be eight feet from the ground. Safety regs:

Dune Safety Regulations

You can purchase a flag for $10-20 at any off-road shop. There are two thicknesses--the 1/4" is for motorcycles and ATV, get the thicker 3/8" and a suitable bracket. In a pinch you can use a couple steel hose clamps around your roll bar, but weld or bolt on a mount if you can.

Also, no glass bottles; no kites; firewood must be un-milled split wood free of nails (no lumber or scraps).

I used to tool around in my Nissan Hardbody. You won't have any trouble getting around, but it is possible to get stuck in the soft stuff. Tip to avoid getting stuck: NEVER stop in a low spot (bowls)--make sure there is always downhill in front or behind you so you can always drive or back out.

If you get stuck, you can almost always dog-paddle the sand away from your tires and undercarriage. Don't sit and spin your wheels or you'll dig in deeper and sink to the frame. STOP. DIG. Point your wheels straight and drive or back out. If you get re-stuck, DIG AGAIN. Don't slow down in deep, soft areas! Avoid turning in deep, soft areas---your wheels won't turn, they will bulldoze the sand in front of them and you'll dig in.

As you get the hang of it you will better recognize what your vehicle and skills can handle.

You can go down ANY slope without fear. The soft sand will keep you slow. Just point it STRAIGHT DOWN. Don't try to go sideways or you might roll. Be ready to gas it as soon as you hit the transition at the bottom so you don't get stuck in the soft bowl at the bottom.

ALWAYS approach a blind lip SLOWLY and be prepared if another vehicle is coming up the hill. Use a spotter if it's crowded or if you are coming up a hill and doing jumps off the top!

BEWARE that there are sudden and VERY hard to see drop-offs as you head east!! Seriously, I'm not kidding. It is difficult to perceive distance since all the sand looks uniform. Learn to go slow and read the sand carefully. It is easy to mistake a drop-off for a mirage and find yourself launching off the lip. There are a few places in the back where you might not be able to find a moderate route back out. Eyeball the area before you go down and ensure you have a way back up.

Start with the small stuff and work up your skills until you're confident that you can handle the bigger stuff.

DON'T DO DONUTS OR SPEED ON THE BEACH OR AROUND PEOPLE! 15 MPH! YOU WILL GET A TICKET. DON'T CHASE THE BIRDS WITH YOUR VEHICLE! PICK UP YOUR FRIGGIN' TRASH AND BE SAFE!

* * *

Join us in September for Coastal Cleanup Day and help pickup trash:
Coastal Cleanup Day 2012 Oceano Dunes - Your Dunes
Thanks for the awesome post !!!

Very helpful
__________________
/l , [____],
l----L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)------)_)
4XSMURF is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-24-2012, 08:53 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: So Cal 805
Posts: 920
Not rocks but it is a good time and something to be experienced as there are far to few beach areas open to vehicles and the few that are face attacks to close all the time. I 'll keep an eye open for dates and may join if all the family obligations line up and allow it.
Xjman1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2012, 01:03 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Lab Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nipomo, CA
Posts: 3,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4XSMURF View Post
I can post the dates and where we'll be and we can meet up. That way, we can help each other get unstuck
If my schedule allows, when you do venture up this way let me know. I'll bring my camera so I can get photographs of you two pulling each other out of the sand
__________________
What do Jeeps & Margaritas have in common?
Both are better on the rocks.

Life's better with two Jeeps: One for the Mall and one to crawl
Lab Lover is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-25-2012, 06:35 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
Mavrick243's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ventura, CA
Posts: 750
Sounds like a good time haha, im hoping my schedule will allow for this too
Mavrick243 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
andiesel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Goleta, CA
Posts: 594
Send a message via AIM to andiesel
organizing a pismo/oceano run August 24-26 for anyone who is interested.

side note on the flags - for the most part they're made out of fiberglass. wear gloves when you handle them.

andiesel is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:07 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC