Calico/Doran Loop - Saturday 1/12 - Page 4 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > California Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-08-2013, 08:24 PM   #91
I do my own stunts.

WF Supporting Member
 
yomondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by csumjr View Post
Mondo, count csumjr as a yes.....KB...Matt's out, I'm in, its amost a tag team thing...the boy and his friend Chris will be MY luggage....See you on the trail...
Charles, do you have rock rails? I'm trying to remember, but I thought you didn't.

__________________
Black 2009 Rubicon 2-Dr Auto | TF 3" lift and front lower CA's | JKS trackbars | 35" GY MT/R-K's | 17x9 M/T SS Classic II's | EVO Axle Sleeves and C Gussets | ARB diff covers | Skid Row evap can skid and front CA skids | Shrockworks bumpers and rock rails | Synergy Ball Joints, Tie Rod and grab handles | Warn 9.5ti | Pull-Pal | sPOD | Superchips Flashpaq | Dual Optima Yellow Tops | Cobra 29 LTD | 4' FireStick
yomondo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 09:09 PM   #92
Jeeper
 
csumjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pomona, California
Posts: 309
Its a Jeep..I'm NOT afraid of what the canyon will do to it...I slid BACKWARD down Graduation Hill......enough said..

__________________
A Madman, with a Jeep....
csumjr is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #93
I do my own stunts.

WF Supporting Member
 
yomondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 2,796
Charles, it's certainly possible that you could make it through without rock rails and without damage, but there's also a real chance you could end up with some significant and expensive body damage. I'd hate to see that happen, which is why I put the requirement of rock rails for this run. However if you understand and accept that risk and still want to go, I won't deny you.
__________________
Black 2009 Rubicon 2-Dr Auto | TF 3" lift and front lower CA's | JKS trackbars | 35" GY MT/R-K's | 17x9 M/T SS Classic II's | EVO Axle Sleeves and C Gussets | ARB diff covers | Skid Row evap can skid and front CA skids | Shrockworks bumpers and rock rails | Synergy Ball Joints, Tie Rod and grab handles | Warn 9.5ti | Pull-Pal | sPOD | Superchips Flashpaq | Dual Optima Yellow Tops | Cobra 29 LTD | 4' FireStick
yomondo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 11:05 PM   #94
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by csumjr View Post
Its a Jeep..I'm NOT afraid of what the canyon will do to it...I slid BACKWARD down Graduation Hill......enough said..
I like your attitude! I'll have my video camera to capture the carnage!
suicideking is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #95
Jeeper
 
csumjr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Pomona, California
Posts: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomondo View Post
Charles, it's certainly possible that you could make it through without rock rails and without damage, but there's also a real chance you could end up with some significant and expensive body damage. I'd hate to see that happen, which is why I put the requirement of rock rails for this run. However if you understand and accept that risk and still want to go, I won't deny you.
Its a Jeep....
__________________
A Madman, with a Jeep....
csumjr is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 11:13 PM   #96
Jeeper
 
RadarRob2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by csumjr

Its a Jeep....
I like your attitude. And look forward to the carnage. Calico is notorious for unprotected rocker panel damage. Even sliders don't guarantee you won't bang it up.
RadarRob2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 11:28 PM   #97
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by csumjr View Post
Its a Jeep..I'm NOT afraid of what the canyon will do to it...I slid BACKWARD down Graduation Hill......enough said..
U da man!
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 11:55 PM   #98
I do my own stunts.

WF Supporting Member
 
yomondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by csumjr View Post
Its a Jeep....
Alright, you're on the list. We'll do our best to get you through without carnage.
__________________
Black 2009 Rubicon 2-Dr Auto | TF 3" lift and front lower CA's | JKS trackbars | 35" GY MT/R-K's | 17x9 M/T SS Classic II's | EVO Axle Sleeves and C Gussets | ARB diff covers | Skid Row evap can skid and front CA skids | Shrockworks bumpers and rock rails | Synergy Ball Joints, Tie Rod and grab handles | Warn 9.5ti | Pull-Pal | sPOD | Superchips Flashpaq | Dual Optima Yellow Tops | Cobra 29 LTD | 4' FireStick
yomondo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #99
Jeeper
 
RadarRob2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomondo

Alright, you're on the list. We'll do our best to get you through without carnage.
I'm gonna miss out again. GRRR!!! Work. It's always work. That being said, Pics. Explicit Pics of all the Carnage. Lol. Have a good one fellas.
RadarRob2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #100
I do my own stunts.

WF Supporting Member
 
yomondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 2,796
Lol. We're not planning on having any carnage, Rob. Hopefully we'll return with some interesting pic anyway.
__________________
Black 2009 Rubicon 2-Dr Auto | TF 3" lift and front lower CA's | JKS trackbars | 35" GY MT/R-K's | 17x9 M/T SS Classic II's | EVO Axle Sleeves and C Gussets | ARB diff covers | Skid Row evap can skid and front CA skids | Shrockworks bumpers and rock rails | Synergy Ball Joints, Tie Rod and grab handles | Warn 9.5ti | Pull-Pal | sPOD | Superchips Flashpaq | Dual Optima Yellow Tops | Cobra 29 LTD | 4' FireStick
yomondo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 12:20 AM   #101
Jeeper
 
RadarRob2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomondo
Lol. We're not planning on having any carnage, Rob. Hopefully we'll return with some interesting pic anyway.
We never plan on it. But the odds run pretty high for it on anyone who runs with no sliders or armor at Calico. You know that as well as I. Hence your previous disclaimer. Lol. And my Buddy BrandonT even damaged his rocker panels with sliders. I had sliders and armor, and busted up my stock suspension up there on a night run up Doran when I got a little skinny pedal crazy. Lol. So yeah. Pics please.
RadarRob2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 12:23 AM   #102
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
iwaxmyjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Irwin
Posts: 1,888
I'm game, I just really hope I don't tear my EVAP canister off my jeep. And I might need a little bit of coaching, or at least have a very experienced driver in front of me to get a good idea of the line to take. I did Cleghorn last weekend and had no problems and didn't even spin on any of the obstacles. But I'm and southeastern guy, I'm still getting used to this whole rock thing. Also if I can bum some air at the end of the run from someone to air up that would be great. Promise I'll be your best friend and buy you breakfast next trip. Still trying to gather essentials for my Jeep.
iwaxmyjimmy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #103
Jeeper
 
Kaisertod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 224
I'm SO IN!!! Can help a bit too if we want to break into smaller groups, or whatever... Man, I didn't even see this posting, I was just whining about wanting to get out
Kaisertod is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #104
DaK
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwaxmyjimmy View Post
I'm game, I just really hope I don't tear my EVAP canister off my jeep. And I might need a little bit of coaching, or at least have a very experienced driver in front of me to get a good idea of the line to take. I did Cleghorn last weekend and had no problems and didn't even spin on any of the obstacles. But I'm and southeastern guy, I'm still getting used to this whole rock thing. Also if I can bum some air at the end of the run from someone to air up that would be great. Promise I'll be your best friend and buy you breakfast next trip. Still trying to gather essentials for my Jeep.

This is red09 from the "other" board that shall not be named. Welcome. we will get you through no worries. Just recommend rockrails for this run, your evap will be fine. Airing up is not a problem at the end of the run. One thing I have noticed with this socal Jeep group is that everyone is happy to help and assist.
DaK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 06:33 AM   #105
DaK
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 1,222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisertod View Post
I'm SO IN!!! Can help a bit too if we want to break into smaller groups, or whatever... Man, I didn't even see this posting, I was just whining about wanting to get out
Yeah I should have checked here first, just told you to suck it up and join us.

I see your rig has grown nicely since our run at Cleghorn together last yr.
DaK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 07:12 AM   #106
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
iwaxmyjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Irwin
Posts: 1,888
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK View Post

This is red09 from the "other" board that shall not be named. Welcome. we will get you through no worries. Just recommend rockrails for this run, your evap will be fine. Airing up is not a problem at the end of the run. One thing I have noticed with this socal Jeep group is that everyone is happy to help and assist.
Yeah I kinda figured out who you were. And so stock Rubi rails and I'll be fine? I don't mind beating them up a bit but I just don't want to get the blue part dented lol.
iwaxmyjimmy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 09:41 AM   #107
I do my own stunts.

WF Supporting Member
 
yomondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwaxmyjimmy View Post
I'm game, I just really hope I don't tear my EVAP canister off my jeep. And I might need a little bit of coaching, or at least have a very experienced driver in front of me to get a good idea of the line to take. I did Cleghorn last weekend and had no problems and didn't even spin on any of the obstacles. But I'm and southeastern guy, I'm still getting used to this whole rock thing. Also if I can bum some air at the end of the run from someone to air up that would be great. Promise I'll be your best friend and buy you breakfast next trip. Still trying to gather essentials for my Jeep.
Added! Please remind us on the day of the run that you're somewhat of a newbie, so that we can make sure you get the attention and assistance you need.

There will be plenty of people you could bum air off of at the end of the run. No need to repay in any way. This is what we do. Everyone's always willing to help out however they can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaisertod View Post
I'm SO IN!!! Can help a bit too if we want to break into smaller groups, or whatever... Man, I didn't even see this posting, I was just whining about wanting to get out
Added. We just might need to break into smaller groups if everyone shows up. This is getting to be a rather big run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwaxmyjimmy View Post
stock Rubi rails and I'll be fine?
Yes. Those will do just fine. When I had my stock Rubi rails, they took a few good smacks on this trail and held up great.
__________________
Black 2009 Rubicon 2-Dr Auto | TF 3" lift and front lower CA's | JKS trackbars | 35" GY MT/R-K's | 17x9 M/T SS Classic II's | EVO Axle Sleeves and C Gussets | ARB diff covers | Skid Row evap can skid and front CA skids | Shrockworks bumpers and rock rails | Synergy Ball Joints, Tie Rod and grab handles | Warn 9.5ti | Pull-Pal | sPOD | Superchips Flashpaq | Dual Optima Yellow Tops | Cobra 29 LTD | 4' FireStick
yomondo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 10:00 AM   #108
I do my own stunts.

WF Supporting Member
 
yomondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 2,796
Break up into two groups?

Hey guys, if everyone shows up we'll have a pretty big size group. Do you want to split up into two groups to help things move along quicker? We have four designated "helpers", which makes for two trail leaders and two tail gunners if we want to split up. I guess we can decide Saturday morning after seeing who all shows up, and we can work out the logistics at that time too. I just wanted to bring it up.

Also if anyone wants GPS tracks ahead of time, here's a compilation of GPS tracks I put together of most of the trails out there. It includes Mule Canyon, Tin Can Alley, Phillips Loop, Kramer Arch, Odessa Canyon, Doran/Bismarck Canyon, Bismarck Mine, Wall Street Canyon Overlook and the stone cabin.

Calico Area Trails
__________________
Black 2009 Rubicon 2-Dr Auto | TF 3" lift and front lower CA's | JKS trackbars | 35" GY MT/R-K's | 17x9 M/T SS Classic II's | EVO Axle Sleeves and C Gussets | ARB diff covers | Skid Row evap can skid and front CA skids | Shrockworks bumpers and rock rails | Synergy Ball Joints, Tie Rod and grab handles | Warn 9.5ti | Pull-Pal | sPOD | Superchips Flashpaq | Dual Optima Yellow Tops | Cobra 29 LTD | 4' FireStick
yomondo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 10:04 AM   #109
DaK
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 1,222
I will lead if you want. I am not familiar with Wall Street but we can make a meet and hold place if it is desired such as at the top of the hill where the mines are located. Doesn't have to be decided now, just food for thought. If someone in our group knows how to get to wall st, we can figure the rest out.
DaK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 10:07 AM   #110
Jeeper
 
2013jeepjk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Riverside
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRob2012

We never plan on it. But the odds run pretty high for it on anyone who runs with no sliders or armor at Calico. You know that as well as I. Hence your previous disclaimer. Lol. And my Buddy BrandonT even damaged his rocker panels with sliders. I had sliders and armor, and busted up my stock suspension up there on a night run up Doran when I got a little skinny pedal crazy. Lol. So yeah. Pics please.
I have rails and still sustained a little panel damage nothing too bad but still a little banged up !!!!! Woo hoo calico !!!!
__________________
JK ALL DAY !!!
2013jeepjk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #111
DTM
Jeeper
 
DTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Riverside, Ca
Posts: 579
Looks like my jeep will be ready for this trip! I was just at Calico a few weeks ago and lead a few runs doing both Duran and Odessa forwards and backwards. I will be happy to lead, spot, winch, tail gun, etc. I know how to get to Wall Street too. Whatever is needed, I will be happy to help...
DTM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 10:41 AM   #112
DTM
Jeeper
 
DTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Riverside, Ca
Posts: 579
Hey just a thought. Maybe we can take half the group up Bismark Canyon and the other half up Odessa Canyon and meet at Bismark Mine. Then go to Wall Street as a group. We can switch canyons on the way back. I will be happy to lead up Odessa if needed.
just a thought...
DTM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #113
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
cashcow1608's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Acton, CA
Posts: 207
Hey Armand maybe you should have damage waivers for us to sign stating you are not responsible for any damages sustained during the run. This will be my first time at Calico so Im really looking forward to it.
cashcow1608 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #114
I do my own stunts.

WF Supporting Member
 
yomondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 2,796
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaK View Post
I will lead if you want. I am not familiar with Wall Street but we can make a meet and hold place if it is desired such as at the top of the hill where the mines are located. Doesn't have to be decided now, just food for thought. If someone in our group knows how to get to wall st, we can figure the rest out.
Yah there's plenty of room for all of us up at Bismarck Mine. Wall Street is just a short out-and-back drive from there. The GPS tracks I provided a link to above include Wall Street, if you want to download it. The trail to Wall Street heads north-west from Bismarck Mine then curves around counter-clockwise, eventually heading south to a dead end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM View Post
Looks like my jeep will be ready for this trip! I was just at Calico a few weeks ago and lead a few runs doing both Duran and Odessa forwards and backwards. I will be happy to lead, spot, winch, tail gun, etc. I know how to get to Wall Street too. Whatever is needed, I will be happy to help...
Awesome! I added you to the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM View Post
Hey just a thought. Maybe we can take half the group up Bismark Canyon and the other half up Odessa Canyon and meet at Bismark Mine. Then go to Wall Street as a group. We can switch canyons on the way back. I will be happy to lead up Odessa if needed.
just a thought...
If people want to break up into two completely separate groups going in opposite directions on the loop, that's fine. I've done both directions and there's fun stuff either way, but personally I prefer clockwise.

I don't know if there's enough room at Wall Street for all of us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashcow1608 View Post
maybe you should have damage waivers for us to sign stating you are not responsible for any damages sustained during the run.
Bring a pen. Lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashcow1608 View Post
This will be my first time at Calico so Im really looking forward to it.
It's one of my favorite "local" trails. I think you'll like it.
__________________
Black 2009 Rubicon 2-Dr Auto | TF 3" lift and front lower CA's | JKS trackbars | 35" GY MT/R-K's | 17x9 M/T SS Classic II's | EVO Axle Sleeves and C Gussets | ARB diff covers | Skid Row evap can skid and front CA skids | Shrockworks bumpers and rock rails | Synergy Ball Joints, Tie Rod and grab handles | Warn 9.5ti | Pull-Pal | sPOD | Superchips Flashpaq | Dual Optima Yellow Tops | Cobra 29 LTD | 4' FireStick
yomondo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #115
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,318
I'm with u Mondo....I prefer clockwise also....the last few times I've ran these runs the groups have run it counter clockwise ....I find it to be a bit more challenging clockwise ...IMO
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #116
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,318
Maybe if there's a place for it in the day we could stop off at Sweet Water spring....its a neet natural spring where the wildlife get they're water....its just west and north of the north end of Odessa canyon ...
so for the group running clockwise it'll be just before u enter the canyon and for the other group it'll be just after u turn west out of the canyon ....

Most people overlook this off the beatin path gem...
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #117
DTM
Jeeper
 
DTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Riverside, Ca
Posts: 579
I think you are right, clockwise is a little harder. I don't care which way I go up or down. Maybe some of the newbies or first timers will want to do the easier way. I will be happy to assist. I'm good with whatever is decided. I just thought it will be faster that way. Like I said, it was just a thought

Wallstreet parking will be very tight, but the trail leading to there is very fun! It took some time with 4 jeeps, 20 jeeps will be even longer (but worth the trip)...
DTM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #118
DaK
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 1,222
Am a clockwise guy as well.
DaK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #119
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,239
Wow! This run is exploding!

I also think it would be better to split into groups. Since I did the loop counter clockwise 2 weeks ago, I'd vote for clockwise this time.

Also, I'd like to checkout Wall Street since I've never done it. I'd also suggest even having a group doing more of an exploratory run. Checkout Wall Street and maybe anything else that isn't the normal Doran/Odessa.

As usual, I'm up for whatever though.

Since there's already a group meeting at Peggy Sue's, maybe we should just meet there? Or somewhere friendly for a large group like the road directly west of the campground?
suicideking is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #120
Jeeper
 
sjchoueiry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 286
I'm sorry I'm going to miss this run. Unfortunately other higher priority forces me to.
Have fun everybody and a safe run. Take tons of pics.

Joe.

sjchoueiry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC