Discussion for Big Bear Friday 7/19 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > California Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-11-2013, 01:10 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,530
Discussion for Big Bear Friday 7/19

I'm starting this thread to discuss what people are doing (or want to do) on Friday for the M&G.

Jeff suggested Heartbreak/Pontiac

Mark suggested a hike to the swimming hole.

Please post if you have ideas or plans.


suicideking is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
JoeBot13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: High Mojave Desert
Posts: 1,957
I won't be able to make it up Friday, because I have to work. But if y'all are looking for something different, Pipe's Canyon (1N01) was a pretty cool moderate run along the same lines and in the same neighborhood as Heartbreak.

JoeBot13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
dawhitesJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal 714/562
Posts: 3,362
Send a message via Yahoo to dawhitesJKU
what are the requirements for a jk for those big bear runs?
__________________
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

2012 JKU Flame Red - Gone
2014 Cherokee Trailhawk - Gone
2014 JKU Billet Willys - Active
dawhitesJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
JEEPFREAK2007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SAN BERNARDINO
Posts: 20
Sounds like fun i will try to make it.
JEEPFREAK2007 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawhitesJKU View Post
what are the requirements for a jk for those big bear runs?
Heartbreak/Pontiac is easy, a stock Jeep can do them. Rails might be nice.

The swimming hole -- no requirements. It's mostly a hike on foot. So need enough gas to get there, enough energy to hike to the swimming hole...

Here's a link to info about the swimming hole. Some people went last year.

Hike to swimming hole Friday of 7th anuual M&G
suicideking is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
JoeBot13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: High Mojave Desert
Posts: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
Heartbreak/Pontiac is easy, a stock Jeep can do them. Rails might be nice.

The swimming hole -- no requirements. It's mostly a hike on foot. So need enough gas to get there, enough energy to hike to the swimming hole...
Easy should be in quotes. A stock Jeep can make it absolutely, but it depends on driver's experience. On a stock Jeep I would recommend rails, I've taken body damage on Heartbreak before.

Pipe's Canyon is easy too and doable for stock, but you have to not be afraid of heights. There are a few spots where the road gets pretty narrow and you are on the side of a cliff.

Bean Flat/Pipe's Canyon - June 15th
JoeBot13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeBot13 View Post
Easy should be in quotes. A stock Jeep can make it absolutely, but it depends on driver's experience. On a stock Jeep I would recommend rails, I've taken body damage on Heartbreak before.

Pipe's Canyon is easy too and doable for stock, but you have to not be afraid of heights. There are a few spots where the road gets pretty narrow and you are on the side of a cliff.

Bean Flat/Pipe's Canyon - June 15th
Yeah, I figure rails is suggested for any wheeling that isn't fire road. Pipe's canyon sounds fun though I'm not crazy about teetering on the side a of a cliff like you mentioned.
suicideking is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 02:09 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
dawhitesJKU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal 714/562
Posts: 3,362
Send a message via Yahoo to dawhitesJKU
I'm getting some rock rails next month as well as a cb. so far i got a 2.5 lift and 33's. i wanna get my rock rails before attempting any course thats harder than Azusa.
__________________
Eat, Sleep, Jeep

2012 JKU Flame Red - Gone
2014 Cherokee Trailhawk - Gone
2014 JKU Billet Willys - Active
dawhitesJKU is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 02:13 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
JoeBot13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: High Mojave Desert
Posts: 1,957
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
Yeah, I figure rails is suggested for any wheeling that isn't fire road. Pipe's canyon sounds fun though I'm not crazy about teetering on the side a of a cliff like you mentioned.
haha it's really not that bad... we had a full sized Bronco come through with us and he did fine. But it is up high... you start off at around 9000 feet and end up around 6000

something different to consider ... I did it because I waited too long to sign up for Forest Fest ... and I wanted to stay off the trails they were doing
JoeBot13 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 02:24 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
87octane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North San Diego County
Posts: 458
I am up for whatever any one else wants to do. Wheeling, hiking, swimming, hanging off the side of a cliff all sounds good to me.
__________________
Mark D.
87octane is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 03:18 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
BRUT4CE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: oceanside ca
Posts: 493
Heartbreak ridge is super easy there isn't anything really to worry yourself over...I've scuffed rims in a parking lot before so I guess you could scuff a rim there....

Its semi scenic....

I say e stick to the top and do Holcomb the others can do 3n16 towards crab flats we can run jb to Holcomb and meet at the other end then go to dishpan.....

Or go hit motino again and this time get everything.....


For the easy crowd there is a road on the other side to castle rock and there's a little lake there that has a really cool hike around it...EXTREMELY pretty and totally chill....
__________________
BUILD THREAD: CLICK HERE
BRUT4CE is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 136
If we decide to do the hike to the swimming hole, check in at camp isn't until 2pm. Where would we meet up and park? It would have been nice to set up camp first but doesn't look like that's an option. What would our option be?

Also, is there any place to fish maybe?
__________________
Always an Adventure!
toad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2013, 12:30 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
If we decide to do the hike to the swimming hole, check in at camp isn't until 2pm. Where would we meet up and park? It would have been nice to set up camp first but doesn't look like that's an option. What would our option be?

Also, is there any place to fish maybe?
Not sure about the check in. When I went last year, I was able to check in around 9:00 AM on Friday and roughly the same time on Saturday. I had a first come first serve spot on Friday, reserved on Saturday.

I was thinking something moderate on Friday. Still undecided though. Not sure about the Heartbreak area because it's a ways away from Hanna Flat.
suicideking is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2013, 12:41 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
Lab Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nipomo, CA
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
If we decide to do the hike to the swimming hole, check in at camp isn't until 2pm. Where would we meet up and park? It would have been nice to set up camp first but doesn't look like that's an option. What would our option be?

Also, is there any place to fish maybe?
Do you just have stuff to unload from the Jeep, or a trailer? I'll be in my site on Thursday, so if you need to unload some stuff to go on a run or something Friday morning there should be room. We will probably be off on a run after 9, but we will be there before.

Lisa
__________________
What do Jeeps & Margaritas have in common?
Both are better on the rocks.

Life's better with two Jeeps: One for the Mall and one to crawl
Lab Lover is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2013, 12:46 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Lover View Post
Do you just have stuff to unload from the Jeep, or a trailer? I'll be in my site on Thursday, so if you need to unload some stuff to go on a run or something Friday morning there should be room. We will probably be off on a run after 9, but we will be there before.

Lisa
According to the recreation.gov site where we reserved our spot, it says there is a 2pm check in. I figure we could get there when we get there and set up camp. But, if there IS that specific check in, it would be great to be able to drop our tent, cooler, sleeping bags... off. Thanks!
__________________
Always an Adventure!
toad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2013, 01:00 AM   #16
I do my own stunts.

5-Year WF Supporting Member
WF Supporting Member
 
yomondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
According to the recreation.gov site where we reserved our spot, it says there is a 2pm check in. I figure we could get there when we get there and set up camp. But, if there IS that specific check in, it would be great to be able to drop our tent, cooler, sleeping bags... off. Thanks!
Jen, if no one has the spot reserved the night before, you can check in and setup anytime. That's what we've done the prior two years. So far it looks like none of any of our sites are booked Thursday night (except the sites that solvang100 and Lab Lover have booked for Thursday night). Let's hope it stays that way. I plan to arrive Friday mid-morning.
__________________
Black 2009 Rubicon 2-Dr Auto | TF 3" lift and front lower CA's | JKS trackbars | 35" GY MT/R-K's | 17x9 M/T SS Classic II's | EVO Axle Sleeves and C Gussets | ARB diff covers | Skid Row evap can skid and front CA skids | Shrockworks bumpers and rock rails | Synergy Ball Joints, Tie Rod and grab handles | Warn 9.5ti | Pull-Pal | sPOD | Superchips Flashpaq | Dual Optima Yellow Tops | Cobra 29 LTD | 4' FireStick
yomondo is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2013, 02:14 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by yomondo View Post
Jen, if no one has the spot reserved the night before, you can check in and setup anytime. That's what we've done the prior two years. So far it looks like none of any of our sites are booked Thursday night (except the sites that solvang100 and Lab Lover have booked for Thursday night). Let's hope it stays that way. I plan to arrive Friday mid-morning.
Yeah, we planned on being up there around 9am. Hopefully we can set up when we get there. Thanks! I'm looking forward to it.
__________________
Always an Adventure!
toad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2013, 11:54 AM   #18
DTM
Jeeper
 
DTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Riverside, Ca
Posts: 581
DTM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2013, 03:09 PM   #19
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 32,792
Images: 2
I hope to get there early but my plans are very specific... to hang around camp, loll around, drink beer, socialize, drink beer, sit in my recliner chair, loll around, recline a lot, drink beer, socialize, listen to good old rock & roll, tune an antenna or three, drink beer, etc. in no particular order.

I am certainly not hiking to some remote swimming hole that also likely has small, medium, and large rattlesnakes strewn about the trail leading to it lol.
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2013, 03:11 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
Lab Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nipomo, CA
Posts: 3,956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I hope to get there early but my plans are very specific... to hang around camp, loll around, drink beer, socialize, drink beer, sit in my recliner chair, loll around, recline a lot, drink beer, socialize, listen to good old rock & roll, tune an antenna or three, drink beer, etc. in no particular order.

I am certainly not hiking to some remote swimming hole that also likely has rattlesnakes strewn about the trail leading to it lol.
You left out, "napping" and with all the work you will be doing I would think a nap may be necessary
__________________
What do Jeeps & Margaritas have in common?
Both are better on the rocks.

Life's better with two Jeeps: One for the Mall and one to crawl
Lab Lover is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2013, 03:27 PM   #21
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BillG.OTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
I hope to get there early but my plans are very specific... to hang around camp, loll around, drink beer, socialize, drink beer, sit in my recliner chair, loll around, recline a lot, drink beer, socialize, listen to good old rock & roll, tune an antenna or three, drink beer, etc. in no particular order.

I am certainly not hiking to some remote swimming hole that also likely has small, medium, and large rattlesnakes strewn about the trail leading to it lol.
This ^
BillG.OTD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2013, 03:44 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,530
I was told that the rattle snakes are not allowed on the trail that day.

Rattle snake bbq??
suicideking is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #23
Knows a couple things...

WF Supporting Member
 
Jerry Bransford's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Escondido, Calif.
Posts: 32,792
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Lover View Post
You left out, "napping" and with all the work you will be doing I would think a nap may be necessary
Ha yeah that too for sure!!
__________________
When you have a choice, buy American.

Jerry Bransford is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2013, 09:32 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,530
One option is Gold Mtn + Jacoby or Little JB. May not appeal to those doing Gold Mtn on Saturday. I'd be up for anything that would be a relaxing run and not take the whole day.

I figure try to start a run at 1:00 PM and try to be back around 6:00 or so.
suicideking is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
Dougzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort Irwin California
Posts: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
One option is Gold Mtn + Jacoby or Little JB. May not appeal to those doing Gold Mtn on Saturday. I'd be up for anything that would be a relaxing run and not take the whole day.

I figure try to start a run at 1:00 PM and try to be back around 6:00 or so.
I'm up for Gold mountain.
__________________
4LO or Nothin!
Dougzin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-13-2013, 12:15 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
87octane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North San Diego County
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
One option is Gold Mtn + Jacoby or Little JB. May not appeal to those doing Gold Mtn on Saturday. I'd be up for anything that would be a relaxing run and not take the whole day.

I figure try to start a run at 1:00 PM and try to be back around 6:00 or so.
I have heard discussion of little JB a few times but have yet seen the discussion turn into a plan.
__________________
Mark D.
87octane is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-13-2013, 01:55 AM   #27
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87octane View Post
I have heard discussion of little JB a few times but have yet seen the discussion turn into a plan.
I think we ran it on the way to JB last time? I've done it a few times, not really much. More of a way to get to JB.
suicideking is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
87octane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: North San Diego County
Posts: 458
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
I think we ran it on the way to JB last time? I've done it a few times, not really much. More of a way to get to JB.
I can't rememeber how we got to John Bull last time all I remember is DUST. So if little JB is a dirt road then I might have wheeled it an didn't know it or see it for that matter.
__________________
Mark D.
87octane is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #29
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lab Lover View Post
You left out, "napping" and with all the work you will be doing I would think a nap may be necessary
Careful with the napping lol. Last time I remember Jerry speaking of a "nap" he came out to a dead party. After our typical trail run on Saturday night, I believe Jerry decided to head to the camper and take a little snooze...to his mistake he woke up about 10pm to find the usual party dying down
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-15-2013, 06:56 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,805
Images: 21
We went up to Big Bear this weekend and saw that White Mountain (3N17 I think)was open- ran into some Jeepers who said it had been closed awhile??... It looked pretty easy from what we saw and its not too far from Hannah. We only drove up and stole a peek- didn't run it.
We'll be with Bill and Jerry (not Ben and Jerry) on the on the kickin' back schedule but for those that want to run a trail maybe its worth a shot? Anyone run it before?

JeepHerz is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC