Gun owners of California - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > California Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
JVLemur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 4,478
Gun owners of California

So I have finally been able to convince my parents to allow me to buy a gun, of course after I go through all the legal procedures to attain it.
I live in California so I know the regulations here are more strict. Can any experienced owners help me out with what ill need to go through the process, what to expect from it, and any helpful input or links.
A bit of background, I've always been thrilled by guns, and have wanted one for a while. I'm 21 a college student, still live with the parents for financial reasons, I hold school and a full time job.the reason I want a handgun is for hobby purposes(shooting range, target practice, and looks) I'm not a huge fan of hunting. Any recommendation on which handgun to get would be nice, I've been looking at a S&W model 586 as I love the look of a a classic revolver, but have also looked through a selection of 1911s. If any more info is needed I will be able to provide it as requested.
Thanks,
Jaye

__________________
Don't follow the Hype, follow your Heart.
JVLemur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 03:40 PM   #2
Dew
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 473
any 21 year old who needs his parents permission should not buy a gun. you want one for looks? like, inviting friends over to show it off? Firearms are not toys!

Dew is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
GoBig19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Bay
Posts: 147
Op...your best bet about California gun laws ans such is to go to calguns.net
GoBig19 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
JVLemur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dew
any 21 year old who needs his parents permission should not buy a gun. you want one for looks? like, inviting friends over to show it off? Firearms are not toys!
Well sorry that while I live with my parents I have to accommodate under their rules.
And hey I know they're not toys bud, I did mention I wanted as a hobby, yea I did say for show and you do have a point that was dumb and I retract that statement.
__________________
Don't follow the Hype, follow your Heart.
JVLemur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
JVLemur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBig19
Op...your best bet about California gun laws ans such is to go to calguns.net
Thanks mate, will be checking that out.
__________________
Don't follow the Hype, follow your Heart.
JVLemur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 03:47 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
backwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chico,CA
Posts: 9,602
First you have to take a safty training course. You will need that certificate to purchase a handgun. What gun you get depends greatly onthe intended use. I have both that you mentioned. Ruger also makes nice revolvers but, I prefer S&W. Not so much for their semi-autos though. I'm not sure where in CA. you are but, a concealed carry permit might be a consideration. It sure makes it nicer to aquire a handgun.
backwards is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
backwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chico,CA
Posts: 9,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dew View Post
any 21 year old who needs his parents permission should not buy a gun. you want one for looks? like, inviting friends over to show it off? Firearms are not toys!
A bit harsh Dew
backwards is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
JVLemur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwards
First you have to take a safty training course. You will need that certificate to purchase a handgun. What gun you get depends greatly onthe intended use. I have both that you mentioned. Ruger also makes nice revolvers but, I prefer S&W. Not so much for their semi-autos though. I'm not sure where in CA. you are but, a concealed carry permit might be a consideration. It sure makes it nicer to aquire a handgun.
This is the kinda help I'm talking about. Thank you sir. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I wasn't sure if a concealed carry was something that would be easy to acquire.
__________________
Don't follow the Hype, follow your Heart.
JVLemur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 03:50 PM   #9
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SW Oregon
Posts: 13
Why don't you sign up for a basic handgun class at your local range. Most often they will rent you a gun for the class. I take a day long combat handgun class once a year and that is probably minimal. Personally I like autoloaders and specifically Glocks. They look beautiful to those who understand their efficacy.

I understand needing your parents permission to bring a gun into their house. It was proper of you to ask.
avid is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #10
Dew
Jeeper
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 473
sorry if I was harsh, your first post just reminded me of someone I once knew. He wanted to be a cop because he thought girls would be impressed that he carried a gun.

I understand your parents house, their rules. Mine wouldn't let me get a motorcycle while I lived with them.
Dew is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 03:52 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
backwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chico,CA
Posts: 9,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVLemur View Post
This is the kinda help I'm talking about. Thank you sir. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I wasn't sure if a concealed carry was something that would be easy to acquire.
Not in S.F. Do you have an indoor range or local gun shop close by?
backwards is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 03:53 PM   #12
Newb
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: SW Oregon
Posts: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVLemur View Post
Thank you sir. I'm in the San Francisco Bay Area, and I wasn't sure if a concealed carry was something that would be easy to acquire.
CA makes concealed carry very difficult and I am sure in SF it will be even more so. I would love to get a CA concealed carry but being a non-resident it is probably impossible.
avid is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
backwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chico,CA
Posts: 9,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
CA makes concealed carry very difficult and I am sure in SF it will be even more so. I would love to get a CA concealed carry but being a non-resident it is probably impossible.
I have one. Being a non-resident you probably won't
backwards is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
JVLemur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid
Why don't you sign up for a basic handgun class at your local range. Most often they will rent you a gun for the class. I take a day long combat handgun class once a year and that is probably minimal. Personally I like autoloaders and specifically Glocks. They look beautiful to those who understand their efficacy.

I understand needing your parents permission to bring a gun into their house. It was proper of you to ask.
That's what I'm planning, and next semester at school take an Administration of Justice class to help with handgun training.
__________________
Don't follow the Hype, follow your Heart.
JVLemur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 03:59 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
backwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chico,CA
Posts: 9,602
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid View Post
why don't you sign up for a basic handgun class at your local range. Most often they will rent you a gun for the class. I take a day long combat handgun class once a year and that is probably minimal. Personally i like autoloaders and specifically glocks. They look beautiful to those who understand their efficacy.

I understand needing your parents permission to bring a gun into their house. It was proper of you to ask.
x2
backwards is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 04:00 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
JVLemur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dew
sorry if I was harsh, your first post just reminded me of someone I once knew. He wanted to be a cop because he thought girls would be impressed that he carried a gun.

I understand your parents house, their rules. Mine wouldn't let me get a motorcycle while I lived with them.
Yea I understand why you were harsh, I hold nothing against it as I realize part of my statement was in fact dumb.
But I am in fact responsible and know guns are not toys and should not be treated as such.
__________________
Don't follow the Hype, follow your Heart.
JVLemur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
JVLemur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwards
Not in S.F. Do you have an indoor range or local gun shop close by?
There's a local gun shop about 15mins from my house.
Not sure about a range, I have to look into that.
I know there's a range within 20 miles of where I live.
__________________
Don't follow the Hype, follow your Heart.
JVLemur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 04:02 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
backwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chico,CA
Posts: 9,602
Now. What is your intended use? So we might make recommendations
backwards is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 04:04 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
JVLemur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwards
Now. What is your intended use? So we might make recommendations
Just at the range, target practice and as a hobby basically. Not into hunting and will be locked in my room unloaded of course when it's not in use.
__________________
Don't follow the Hype, follow your Heart.
JVLemur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 04:13 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
backwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chico,CA
Posts: 9,602
The 586 is a great target gun 6 inch barrel. Also easy target rounds to reload if you get into that!
backwards is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 04:24 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
JVLemur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwards
The 586 is a great target gun 6 inch barrel. Also easy target rounds to reload if you get into that!
Ok cool, I'm not a big guy by any means,5'7 130-140lbs, would it be too big a caliber to start with? Should I consider something smaller for starters?
__________________
Don't follow the Hype, follow your Heart.
JVLemur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 04:29 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
backwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chico,CA
Posts: 9,602
That should do fine. Just use the .38 rounds. The magnums might not be as fun for target practice
backwards is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 04:36 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
JVLemur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwards
That should do fine. Just use the .38 rounds. The magnums might not be as fun for target practice
Ok thanks, I will be going into our local gun shop, and trying to either go to the range or give them a call tomorrow between school and work to see what their gun safety courses offer and when they hold them.
__________________
Don't follow the Hype, follow your Heart.
JVLemur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 04:38 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
backwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chico,CA
Posts: 9,602
Good luck! If I can be of anymore help
backwards is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 04:42 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
JVLemur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwards
Good luck! If I can be of anymore help
Ill post back tomorrow night when I have done all the necessary calls an what not.
__________________
Don't follow the Hype, follow your Heart.
JVLemur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 04:54 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
backwards's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Chico,CA
Posts: 9,602
I will most likely be here!
backwards is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 07:14 PM   #27
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 6,981
If you getting it for target shooting at both indoor and outdoor ranges you could look into the more target oriented guns. Mine while it shoots a 300 savage round kicks less than my 44 mag. It is a single shot but I find that I do slow fire most of the time as ammo even when you reload gets expensive.
Gunner is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
JKTHOMPS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,273
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dew View Post
sorry if I was harsh, your first post just reminded me of someone I once knew. He wanted to be a cop because he thought girls would be impressed that he carried a gun.

I understand your parents house, their rules. Mine wouldn't let me get a motorcycle while I lived with them.
What's the matter, want to be a cop growing up but couldn't cut it? You're a douche...

I will PM you JV... I have all the info you will need and where to start.
JKTHOMPS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
JVLemur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner
If you getting it for target shooting at both indoor and outdoor ranges you could look into the more target oriented guns. Mine while it shoots a 300 savage round kicks less than my 44 mag. It is a single shot but I find that I do slow fire most of the time as ammo even when you reload gets expensive.
That's the first time I've ever seen a gun like that! It looks interesting, what's the make and model?
__________________
Don't follow the Hype, follow your Heart.
JVLemur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-25-2012, 07:55 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
JVLemur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 4,478
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKTHOMPS

What's the matter, want to be a cop growing up but couldn't cut it? You're a douche...

I will PM you JV... I have all the info you will need and where to start.
Cool thanks mate!

__________________
Don't follow the Hype, follow your Heart.
JVLemur is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC