Is the John Bull really hard? - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > California Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 04-11-2013, 03:56 PM   #61
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,530
Ok, while we're completely off topic and now talking about stretching:

If you have a TJ and want it stretched, wouldn't it be less of a hassle to get an LJ and swap you stuff over? Maybe not practical for something that's already fully built since you have to do 2 axle swaps, suspension, etc. But seems that if you're early in your build, might be better to do it that way?

Or are there other reasons why you would rather have a stretched TJ over an LJ?

For now, I'll be looking for a 'shrink' kit for my JK...

suicideking is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 04:09 PM   #62
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 7,224
Rick I am thinking if I do a stretch then I am going to have better approach and departure angles. If I go to an LJ then I am right back to the same angles. If I then stretch an LJ I might as well get the JKU. It's a never ending thing. I just want to work on getting off the rocks better. I hit my rear bumper so many times that it did my back in. I am thinking maybe to do a butt lift before the tummy tuck.

Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #63
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
Or are there other reasons why you would rather have a stretched TJ over an LJ?
The biggest reason (over the obvious wheelbase) is the approach and departure angles. Switching from a TJ to an LJ, will actually make your departure angle worse An LJ actually is a little LONGER on the rear end, behind the rear tires...making your departure angle worse. This is why a stretch is popular. It improves this angle. There are two ways people normally go about this...a stretch and cutting new wheel wells, or the creation of a TJ-6 which looks like an LJ but there is no additional length behind the rear tires.

Notice the rear end of a factory TJ.


Factory LJ...longer tail end


"TJ-6" Stretch


TJ Stretch


Notice how much better the angles are over the factory LJ. You can stretch the front as well...but it can get pretty involved much over 1"


Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
If I go to an LJ then I am right back to the same angles. .
Almost . Check out the pics above
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #64
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,607
Well put Geoff ...
But to add....the same goes from the front..when u approach a waterfall..aka wall ..I want my tires to come in contact before my comp cut bumper ....
A fine example is "Chicken Rock" out at Cougar Butts....most peopel have to approach it at an angle so they dont clobber they bumper/wench ...
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #65
DTM
Jeeper
 
DTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Riverside, Ca
Posts: 581
How about getting an LJ and bobing the rear. Problems solved!
DTM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #66
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
Well put Geoff ...
But to add....the same goes from the front..when u approach a waterfall..aka wall ..I want my tires to come in contact before my comp cut bumper ....
A fine example is "Chicken Rock" out at Cougar Butts....most peopel have to approach it at an angle so they dont clobber they bumper/wench ...
Ya I just added a little tidbit about the front end. In most cases it can be much more involved to get substantial inches out of the front with all of the steering and other stuff in there to get in the way.

Wait...what...did you say full hydro Psh...stretch it out there as far as you want
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 04:49 PM   #67
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM View Post
How about getting an LJ and bobing the rear. Problems solved!
I think the hardest part of all that would be finding the LJ
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 04:52 PM   #68
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 7,224
I guess you could but then I am thinking of the weight issue. Would a bobbed LJ be heavier than a stretched TJ?
Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 04:53 PM   #69
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 7,224
And a full hydro on the street might not be to much fun.
Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #70
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
I guess you could but then I am thinking of the weight issue. Would a bobbed LJ be heavier than a stretched TJ?
Probably a little, only cuz you'd have more frame underneath...but it may be pretty minimal.
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 04:55 PM   #71
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BillG.OTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
Ok, while we're completely off topic and now talking about stretching:

If you have a TJ and want it stretched, wouldn't it be less of a hassle to get an LJ and swap you stuff over? Maybe not practical for something that's already fully built since you have to do 2 axle swaps, suspension, etc. But seems that if you're early in your build, might be better to do it that way?

Or are there other reasons why you would rather have a stretched TJ over an LJ?

For now, I'll be looking for a 'shrink' kit for my JK...
Like Bob and Geoff said, the LJ is longer in the body and after the rear wheel. I'm always used to give Coop shit when we drop off something and I hear him clank...Longer means more stable and it means better ride, longer CAs, longer shaft for better DS angle. LJs are good, but like you mentioned if you are heavily modded, you have a lot of swapping to do and corner armor and Rock rails wont swap. If I did a stretch I could go back to running a 241 TC as well, which I had to give up for the AW4 swap. So Rick, why you turning this into the tech section ?
BillG.OTD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #72
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
And a full hydro on the street might not be to much fun.
It might be exciting though

I am always curious about this though...cuz I mean Hammers rigs are running full hydro, +40s, at highway speeds...on terrain worse than your typical road. So I am curious as to how bad it would truly be
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #73
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table View Post
I think the hardest part of all that would be finding the LJ
And paying the premium for an Lj ...but yeah....I'd have no reservations twards cuttimg the azz off an Lj and tacking it back on less 6"or 8"....I used to own my own buissness building custom hot rods...I'll make it loom factory ...lol
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 05:00 PM   #74
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG.OTD View Post
So Rick, why you turning this into the tech section ?
Cuz bob already ran the Bull...so we might as well continue talking about something else interesting
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 05:01 PM   #75
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
And paying the premium for an Lj ...but yeah....I'd have no reservations twards cuttimg the azz off an Lj and tacking it back on less 6"or 8"....I used to own my own buissness building custom hot rods...I'll make it loom factory ...lol
Now you are right back to sticking with stretching a cheaper TJ
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #76
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 7,224
I'm thinking Imped's breakovers are pretty impressive.
Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 05:11 PM   #77
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
I'm thinking Imped's breakovers are pretty impressive.
His jeep is my inspiration
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 05:14 PM   #78
DTM
Jeeper
 
DTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Riverside, Ca
Posts: 581
PSC has a stretched LJ on 40's with DOT legal Hydro-Asst steering (Daddy Long Legs). That thing has been on some major trails without any approach problems. I'm still amazed at how well that thing works.
DTM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 05:18 PM   #79
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 7,224
Yeah I think the hydro assist is the way to fly. I am just running out of money. It was OK when I pulled some money out to go with the bike sale but now I have to save. Now if I can just sell the boat and those pedal bikes, Hmmm
Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 05:22 PM   #80
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTM View Post
PSC has a stretched LJ on 40's with DOT legal Hydro-Asst steering (Daddy Long Legs). That thing has been on some major trails without any approach problems. I'm still amazed at how well that thing works.
Daddy long legs is an awesome build too.

__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 05:25 PM   #81
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 7,224
LOL They have more in those rigs than I have in my house.
Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #82
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
LOL They have more in those rigs than I have in my house.
But can you go everywhere in your house ?
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 05:31 PM   #83
DTM
Jeeper
 
DTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Riverside, Ca
Posts: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Yeah I think the hydro assist is the way to fly. I am just running out of money. It was OK when I pulled some money out to go with the bike sale but now I have to save. Now if I can just sell the boat and those pedal bikes, Hmmm
Don't sell the pedal bikes! They do a way better job keeping you healthy and getting that weight off. This year my jeep lost a good 20lbs of in cab weight Far cheaper than Alum control arms
DTM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #84
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 7,224
Gotta sell the bikes. I can't ride anymore. They are too low.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catrike700.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	220.0 KB
ID:	234885  
Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 06:27 PM   #85
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Rick I am thinking if I do a stretch then I am going to have better approach and departure angles. If I go to an LJ then I am right back to the same angles. If I then stretch an LJ I might as well get the JKU. It's a never ending thing. I just want to work on getting off the rocks better. I hit my rear bumper so many times that it did my back in. I am thinking maybe to do a butt lift before the tummy tuck.
10-4, makes sense. I thought it was just a wheel base thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG.OTD View Post
Like Bob and Geoff said, the LJ is longer in the body and after the rear wheel. I'm always used to give Coop shit when we drop off something and I hear him clank...Longer means more stable and it means better ride, longer CAs, longer shaft for better DS angle. LJs are good, but like you mentioned if you are heavily modded, you have a lot of swapping to do and corner armor and Rock rails wont swap. If I did a stretch I could go back to running a 241 TC as well, which I had to give up for the AW4 swap. So Rick, why you turning this into the tech section ?


You guys started it!

Besides, when my powerball numbers hit and I can get a non DD, I need to know if I'm getting a TJ (+Stretching it) or an LJ.
suicideking is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #86
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,572
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
when my powerball numbers hit and I can get a non DD, I need to know if I'm getting a TJ (+Stretching it) or an LJ.
At that point...you better be building a full blown tube buggy
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 06:47 PM   #87
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,607
This is good stuff....!
Someone needs to start an official "Build it Wheel it" thread ...where we can all brainstorm ideas off each other....
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 06:53 PM   #88
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 7,224
Yeah maybe where we can share knowledge and parts for just the cal guys.
Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 06:56 PM   #89
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Yeah maybe where we can share knowledge and parts for just the cal guys.
Exactly!
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 04-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #90
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BillG.OTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,105
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
This is good stuff....!
Someone needs to start an official "Build it Wheel it" thread ...where we can all brainstorm ideas off each other....
Well...if we knew a moderator we could ask him if we can start a thread like you said...I know there is a Tech section in both forums because I go there all the time, but it would be cool to have our own like this..

BillG.OTD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:08 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC