Looking for someone who welds - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > California Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 129
Looking for someone who welds

I'm in need of someone who welds in the Chino/Ontario area. I'm having major death wobble. My trackbar bracket on the passenger side is cracked and I think that is playing a big part to it. Help!!

__________________
Always an Adventure!
toad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 129
OK, got the trackbar welded (apparently John knows a guy). Didn't fix the death wobble. On to the next item on the list...

__________________
Always an Adventure!
toad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-19-2013, 05:47 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
XJ_Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: High Desert - Victorville, CA
Posts: 804
Seems like every time I get such a wobble, it is either time for new control arm bushings, tie rod ends, or an alignment. Pretty much in that order. But then that is only on my poor old beat up XJ.....good luck Toad
XJ_Phil is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-19-2013, 09:09 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
BeantownR6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Redondo Beach, CA
Posts: 942
Is your track bar stock? If so check the bushing is not worn out. Turns out that was my culprit for dw
BeantownR6 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #5
DTM
Jeeper
 
DTM's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Riverside, Ca
Posts: 576
I have never had DW on my jeep, but I have noticed slight vibrations when my bolts are not tight. Now I check them all the time...
DTM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 01:30 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 129
No, it's aftermarket..Teraflex. We're going through all of the possibilities. Just taking them one at a time. :-/
__________________
Always an Adventure!
toad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
RossRacing7x

WF Supporting Member
 
Kota7x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: 93105, 92677, 92004
Posts: 1,502
I gave up looking for the cause of my DW. I have changed everything (control arm bushings, track bar, balanced tires, alignment, new tierod ends, new drag link). Im beginning to think all of my rims are slightly bent.
__________________
Sure you can follow... If you can keep up!!!
- 2004 Jeep Wrangler LJ 4.0
Kota7x is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 05:28 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Helendale SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kota7x View Post
I gave up looking for the cause of my DW. I have changed everything (control arm bushings, track bar, balanced tires, alignment, new tierod ends, new drag link). Im beginning to think all of my rims are slightly bent.
It could need just a little more caster..when I do a front axle swap I set them up at 8°
Works like a camp....no steering dampener needed....
But that's just what works for me...
WOKNROX is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-20-2013, 06:13 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 129
I can't give up. I would like to be able to drive my jeep faster than 30mph, since it is my daily driver. Already changed out my draglink, new tie rod ends on everything. Need to take off the trackbar and go through that. I have new ball joints being delivered tomorrow. Gonna try that too. Then if that doesn't work, maybe new hub bearings. And next would be new control arm bushings. And if all else fails, I have a new/used axle. *sighs*
__________________
Always an Adventure!
toad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 08:43 AM   #10
Sponsoring Vendor

WF Supporting Member
 
Black Magic Brakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by toad View Post
I can't give up. I would like to be able to drive my jeep faster than 30mph, since it is my daily driver. Already changed out my draglink, new tie rod ends on everything. Need to take off the trackbar and go through that. I have new ball joints being delivered tomorrow. Gonna try that too. Then if that doesn't work, maybe new hub bearings. And next would be new control arm bushings. And if all else fails, I have a new/used axle. *sighs*
What size tires? Steel or aluminum rims? When is the last time you did the dry steering test? When is the last time you watched the tires spin on the balancer to see if there is any tread hop or squirm? Are the tires balanced now? How many miles on the rig? What control arms?

The best way to deal with DW is the diagnose, then replace. DW is insidious in that it is violent enough to wear new parts as fast as you can replace them so you are always chasing your tail thinking you've taken stuff out of the equation by replacing only to have continued driving with DW episodes take them out.

The best way to be able to drive it is to toe it out by about 1/2"- 5/8" which will trick the system into thinking it's okay. It is bad for the tires long term but it will tell you whether or not the upper axle side control arm bushings are bad.

Alignment in general has nothing to do with DW other than to be used as a diagnostic. Scouts came from the factory with 0° so if there was much merit to the term "caster wobble", they would have not been driven very far very fast.
__________________
I am Savvy, I am the brake Wizard.
http://blackmagicbrakes.com
Black Magic Brakes is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
BRUT4CE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: oceanside ca
Posts: 411
Also check your links, if your track bar or panhard have a adjustable sleeve (2 bolts that tighten a rotational clamp) make sure the cut on the part is in the middle of where the bolt clamps together....


I've fixed 4 of these this and last month...people couldn't find it and whoever installed these forgot to make sure that it was aligned to crush down....they just tightened it...

Just as a thought double check that....

You can see the adjustable sleeve on this Terraflex monster tracbar that has clamps that move around on the sleeve and if the slit is not in between it will have a shake when under load and will tear threads up eventually.

BRUT4CE is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 11:05 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Helendale SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes View Post
Scouts came from the factory with 0° so if there was much merit to the term "caster wobble", they would have not been driven very far very fast.
If you've ever driven or had much personal experience with the 0° caster Scout's you know that they wonder all over the road and feel very unsafe to some people that haven't experienced this....the steering won't find center very well on its own either. That's why in 1980 International gave them 3° of caster to help with the problem... it was a bummer it was the last year for the Scout though...but I'm sure a wise person like yourself know everything there is to know about the history of the International Scout I'm sure....
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Helendale SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
It could need just a little more caster..when I do a front axle swap I set them up at 8°
Works like a camp....no steering dampener needed....
But that's just what works for me...
If you look at this picture of my son's Xj you will see that there is NO steering stabilizer on it.
I set this axle up with 8° of caster and a TRUE over the knuckle one ton TRE steering and has NO DW....
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #14
Sponsoring Vendor

WF Supporting Member
 
Black Magic Brakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
If you've ever driven or had much personal experience with the 0° caster Scout's you know that they wonder all over the road and feel very unsafe to some people that haven't experienced this....the steering won't find center very well on its own either. That's why in 1980 International gave them 3° of caster to help with the problem... it was a bummer it was the last year for the Scout though...but I'm sure a wise person like yourself know everything there is to know about the history of the International Scout I'm sure....
You mean they feel like my 05 Dodge Ram with the NEW inverted T that replaced my worn inverted Y? The sad part about that is the NEW OEM from the dealer is more vague on center and wanders more on a stock truck than the worn stuff did. I regret changing it and I regret them not being smart enough to stick with the old stuff.

None of which matters because you can't fix DW with any caster setting because caster doesn't cause it.
__________________
I am Savvy, I am the brake Wizard.
http://blackmagicbrakes.com
Black Magic Brakes is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-21-2013, 05:25 PM   #15
Sponsoring Vendor

WF Supporting Member
 
Black Magic Brakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
If you look at this picture of my son's Xj you will see that there is NO steering stabilizer on it.
I set this axle up with 8° of caster and a TRUE over the knuckle one ton TRE steering and has NO DW....
I don't want to do this with you, I'd rather go wheeling.
__________________
I am Savvy, I am the brake Wizard.
http://blackmagicbrakes.com
Black Magic Brakes is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-22-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Helendale SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes View Post
I don't want to do this with you, I'd rather go wheeling.
If this is honestly the truth...then get off my back and quit picking apart everything I say and do..
You've done wore me out and I've moved on....I'm done..
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-09-2014, 11:46 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
toad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Chino, CA
Posts: 129
Just an update...after we got the bracket welded, we've been taking everything once at a time...new draglink, tie rod ends, hub bearing, balljoints, control arm bushings, steering stabilizer, and the most important thing....replaced the trackbar bushings. All of these parts have needed to be replaced badly. It all contributed to the death wobble. Still want to replace some worn parts but all in all, the death wobble is gone.
__________________
Always an Adventure!
toad is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-10-2014, 10:01 AM   #18
Sponsoring Vendor

WF Supporting Member
 
Black Magic Brakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,819
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
If this is honestly the truth...then get off my back and quit picking apart everything I say and do..
You've done wore me out and I've moved on....I'm done..
If you're done, does it really matter?

__________________
I am Savvy, I am the brake Wizard.
http://blackmagicbrakes.com
Black Magic Brakes is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:30 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC