New Jeep Owners - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > California Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-04-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
JeepNDirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Acton, California
Posts: 687
Images: 2
New Jeep Owners

Jeep Wave
The Rules of the WAVE

Warning

Owning, registering, insuring, or driving a Jeep implies knowledge of and intent to abide by the following rules. Failure to obey the rules may result in your being ignored by other Jeep owners as you sit along the side of the road next to your stalled vehicle in a blizzard surrounded by Saturns, Yugos, and Hyundais.

Definition: The Jeep Wave

An honor bestowed upon those drivers with the superior intelligence, taste, class, and discomfort tolerance (exception to 97 and newer Jeep owners) to own the ultimate vehicle - the Jeep. Generally consists of either a raised hand waving or 4 fingers extended upward from the steering wheel, but may be modified to suit circumstances and locally accepted etiquette.

Examples of commonly accepted modifications:

Top off: One handed wave above windshield or outside body tub.

Top off during blizzard: Shiver and nod, hands may remain frozen to steering wheel.

Southern/rural locations: No wave, just a nod.

General Rules:

1. All Jeepers are responsible for upholding the tradition of the Wave. It seems that generally the Jeep wave is only practiced by Jeep owners driving the following Jeep vehicles; CJ, YJ, TJ, JK.

2. All Jeepers are required to return the Wave even if it's a Grand Cherokee or Compass.

3. Do not EVER wave to Hummers, even if you know the person.

Love this!!

__________________
Hello, my name is JeepNDirty and
I AM A JEEP-AHOLIC
http://s1158.photobucket.com/albums/p604/JeepNDirty/
JeepNDirty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
RadarRob2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,446
Sounds about right to me.

RadarRob2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-04-2013, 10:17 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
JeepNDirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Acton, California
Posts: 687
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRob2012 View Post
Sounds about right to me.
Just doin' my part for JEEP edumacation! LOL
__________________
Hello, my name is JeepNDirty and
I AM A JEEP-AHOLIC
http://s1158.photobucket.com/albums/p604/JeepNDirty/
JeepNDirty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-04-2013, 11:27 PM   #4
Jeep Girl Crawler

WF Supporting Member
 
I H8RDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ventura, Ca
Posts: 7,520
OHHH and we might add..it is a known fact that anyone driving a "lesser' Jeep. is required to wave First. although, I'm such a lover of all Jeep owners, I usually wave first anyways.....I'm the girl who is hanging out the window waving like a lunatic With a huge smile on my face just becasue I love driving my Joanzie!
__________________
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
I H8RDS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
CJP1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Murrieta, CA
Posts: 92
Haha that's funny.


I try to wave at all built jeeps including XJ but they don't get it.

What gives?
CJP1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
XJ_Phil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: High Desert - CA
Posts: 898
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJP1 View Post
Haha that's funny.


I try to wave at all built jeeps including XJ but they don't get it.

What gives?
That jealous one finger salute does not constitute a wave
XJ_Phil is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-11-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
JeepNDirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Acton, California
Posts: 687
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ_Phil View Post

That jealous one finger salute does not constitute a wave
LOL!! But hey better they acknowledge than ignore!! :-)

My daughter was paying attention at a stop light while I was fiddling with the radio and then said mom, jeep jeep! you didn't wave but I did!
Lol such a good girl
__________________
Hello, my name is JeepNDirty and
I AM A JEEP-AHOLIC
http://s1158.photobucket.com/albums/p604/JeepNDirty/
JeepNDirty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
RogueJeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Murrieta,CA
Posts: 118
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNDirty View Post
Jeep Wave
The Rules of the WAVE

Warning

Owning, registering, insuring, or driving a Jeep implies knowledge of and intent to abide by the following rules. Failure to obey the rules may result in your being ignored by other Jeep owners as you sit along the side of the road next to your stalled vehicle in a blizzard surrounded by Saturns, Yugos, and Hyundais.

Definition: The Jeep Wave

An honor bestowed upon those drivers with the superior intelligence, taste, class, and discomfort tolerance (exception to 97 and newer Jeep owners) to own the ultimate vehicle - the Jeep. Generally consists of either a raised hand waving or 4 fingers extended upward from the steering wheel, but may be modified to suit circumstances and locally accepted etiquette.

Examples of commonly accepted modifications:

Top off: One handed wave above windshield or outside body tub.

Top off during blizzard: Shiver and nod, hands may remain frozen to steering wheel.

Southern/rural locations: No wave, just a nod.

General Rules:

1. All Jeepers are responsible for upholding the tradition of the Wave. It seems that generally the Jeep wave is only practiced by Jeep owners driving the following Jeep vehicles; CJ, YJ, TJ, JK.

2. All Jeepers are required to return the Wave even if it's a Grand Cherokee or Compass.

3. Do not EVER wave to Hummers, even if you know the person.

Love this!!

Figured this out after about the 4th wrangler I passed . So now that I know the "official" rules. Game on.
RogueJeep is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-11-2013, 07:41 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
highwayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Yucaipa
Posts: 665
Yeah pretty depressing. I've pretty much given up waving at stock JKs. Mostly soccer moms on their phones driving, and don't know any better about Jeeps or what they're for. Modded Jeeps on the other hand, whole different breed. Wave back everytime, restores the faith.
highwayman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
DaK
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 1,218
Stock JK's and JKU's don't seem to get indoc at the dealership properly. Need an inside man. Also noticed that Jeeper's in other states aren't familiar with the wave so much.
DaK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-11-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
highwayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Yucaipa
Posts: 665
Agreed.
highwayman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 10:45 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
JeepNDirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Acton, California
Posts: 687
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
Yeah pretty depressing. I've pretty much given up waving at stock JKs. Mostly soccer moms on their phones driving, and don't know any better about Jeeps or what they're for. Modded Jeeps on the other hand, whole different breed. Wave back everytime, restores the faith.
I noticed that too !! Was on the 101 yesterday and I waved at the motor homes towing their jeeps, they waved back! :-) it was cool got a lot of waves - I continue the tradition even if they don't wave back because its still funny when they look at you like "do I know you"!
__________________
Hello, my name is JeepNDirty and
I AM A JEEP-AHOLIC
http://s1158.photobucket.com/albums/p604/JeepNDirty/
JeepNDirty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
bigobear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Shenandoah, TX
Posts: 91
I've had my (for not much longer) completely stock JKU for 10 days now and have waved at every Wrangler that I've seen. I have not gotten a single wave back. And I've had a lot of modded Jeeps look back at me like I'm trash. Depressing. The "wave" is dead.
__________________
The meek shall inherit the Earth ... but not the mineral rights ...
bigobear is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
connochr's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 228
I'm a new JK owner as of July and have been waiving at anything that says wrangler on it trying to keep this friendly acknowledgement going. Closest thing to a return wave I have received is a single nod. Maybe its because I live in downstate NY where everyone hates each other, not sure, but I will keep the faith. Don't want the JK generation to get a worse reputation then we already have with the wave.
__________________



We stand for something. To those dead souls inching along the freeways in their metal coffins we show them that the human spirit is still alive. -Bodhi
connochr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
JeepNDirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Acton, California
Posts: 687
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigobear View Post
I've had my (for not much longer) completely stock JKU for 10 days now and have waved at every Wrangler that I've seen. I have not gotten a single wave back. And I've had a lot of modded Jeeps look back at me like I'm trash. Depressing. The "wave" is dead.
Quote:
Originally Posted by connochr View Post
I'm a new JK owner as of July and have been waiving at anything that says wrangler on it trying to keep this friendly acknowledgement going. Closest thing to a return wave I have received is a single nod. Maybe its because I live in downstate NY where everyone hates each other, not sure, but I will keep the faith. Don't want the JK generation to get a worse reputation then we already have with the wave.
Right on! I don't care what model you own, if its a jeep then you'll get a wave from me!!

Wave on fellow jeepers, wave on! :-)
__________________
Hello, my name is JeepNDirty and
I AM A JEEP-AHOLIC
http://s1158.photobucket.com/albums/p604/JeepNDirty/
JeepNDirty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
JeepNDirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Acton, California
Posts: 687
Images: 2
forgot one thing....Gentlemen, please explain to your passenger...aka Girlfriend/new bride, that we women waving at a fellow jeep owner does not constitute "flirting" with your man! for goodness sakes, it's a JEEP thing!

I have a husband, although I might consider a trade if the jeep is nice enough! LOL sorry just kidding!!
__________________
Hello, my name is JeepNDirty and
I AM A JEEP-AHOLIC
http://s1158.photobucket.com/albums/p604/JeepNDirty/
JeepNDirty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
highwayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Yucaipa
Posts: 665
Thx to the new JK owners for waving. You're raising the bar. I know I always did. I still wave at all, as I know every Jeep starts from a stock one. The stockers, I just don't expect a wave back.
highwayman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 09:49 AM   #18
Newb
 
2011JKdriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 3
Hey guys!

Im a recently new Jeep owner. (Jk Wrangler Sport 2011) Could you all do me a favor and explain the wave, when to use it, engagements, etc.
2011JKdriver is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Decoy_58's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Central Calif (modesto)
Posts: 323
Talking Wave at jeeps

I wave at all jeeps stock or not its funny when I am in my yota and wave at jeeps
Decoy_58 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 01:02 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
RadarRob2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,446
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011JKdriver View Post
Hey guys!

Im a recently new Jeep owner. (Jk Wrangler Sport 2011) Could you all do me a favor and explain the wave, when to use it, engagements, etc.
See a Wrangler, Wave. 'Nuff said. Lol
RadarRob2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 01:47 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,655
Images: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
Yeah pretty depressing. I've pretty much given up waving at stock JKs. Mostly soccer moms on their phones driving, and don't know any better about Jeeps or what they're for. Modded Jeeps on the other hand, whole different breed. Wave back everytime, restores the faith.
Dude (yes, I said dude) just because a woman is driving with kids does not mean she is a soccer mom. Let alone a soccer mom who knows nothing. I am not a breeder but seriously- there are fathers (who don't wave) who also happen to be soccer dads. No one throws around that insinuation. There are probably considerably more MALE Jeep Mall Crawler owners who don't know crap about their Jeeps and have never been off-road- than there are women Jeep owners period. For instance- the 24 year old guy I just met who said he owned a "Saah-harr-aahh". He used more product in his hair, I guarantee talks (or texts or tweets) more than the average female and has no clue to wave. Probably can't because his hard top is on and the windows are up so he doesn't mess up his hair.

Off my soapbox now. Oh, and I always wave but as a rule society is just plain rude nowadays. Lack of the probably has more to do with this than ignorant Jeepers.
JeepHerz is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
highwayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Yucaipa
Posts: 665
Ohhhh kkkk. Wow.....

Geez, substitute females with kids talking on their phones driving in place of "soccer moms". Not as an idea, but what I see. As they are 98% of the time not waving back. Maybe your neck of the woods, things are different. I'm probably the last guy you should soapbox about who is texting and calling on cell phones.

From a 40 something guy married with two daughters, I can't see how in the heck it would offend you, but. The term wasn't meant to get u offended.

Jeep and wave on, Jen.
highwayman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 10:30 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
vikingshadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NW Oklahoma
Posts: 66
Um, we were taught to wave at EVERYONE when I was growing up - so at first the Jeep wave was confusing to me! I absolutely do make a point at waving at the pretty girls in their Jeeps for sure....maybe someday they'll actually wave back!
vikingshadow is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-13-2013, 11:33 PM   #24
Jeeper
 
JeepNDirty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Acton, California
Posts: 687
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vikingshadow View Post
Um, we were taught to wave at EVERYONE when I was growing up - so at first the Jeep wave was confusing to me! I absolutely do make a point at waving at the pretty girls in their Jeeps for sure....maybe someday they'll actually wave back!
LMAO!! Incorrigible rake! When my daughter starts driving I'll have to warn her ... Lol. :-)

Ps this thread was supposed to be fun and funny not to offend anyone. I hope we all continue to wave at each other....maybe jeepers will start another 60- 70s peace and love brother wave in!!
__________________
Hello, my name is JeepNDirty and
I AM A JEEP-AHOLIC
http://s1158.photobucket.com/albums/p604/JeepNDirty/
JeepNDirty is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 10:41 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
highwayman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Yucaipa
Posts: 665
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNDirty View Post
LMAO!! Incorrigible rake! When my daughter starts driving I'll have to warn her ... Lol. :-)

Ps this thread was supposed to be fun and funny not to offend anyone. I hope we all continue to wave at each other....maybe jeepers will start another 60- 70s peace and love brother wave in!!
Haha, this.
highwayman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 10:44 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Mattador1516's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 27
I guess if you pay 40k+ for a jeep they feel they dont HAVE to wave at anyone.
Mattador1516 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-14-2013, 01:20 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
werubiblue06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Moreno Valley, CA
Posts: 1,163
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepNDirty View Post
I noticed that too !! Was on the 101 yesterday and I waved at the motor homes towing their jeeps, they waved back! :-) it was cool got a lot of waves - I continue the tradition even if they don't wave back because its still funny when they look at you like "do I know you"!
That happened to us for the first time heading up to Big Bear last month.

My wife started to laughing at the whole wave thing--she thought it was funny that even when towing the Jeep with our RV we still got a wave from a fellow Jeep driver.

To whomever that was that waved at us while towing our Jeep, thanks, that was really cool!!

__________________
"We can't all be Washingtons, but we can all be patriots."
~Charles F. Browne
werubiblue06 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:20 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC