Rubi-Crawler Vs Rubicon Transfer Case Swap - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > California Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
sjchoueiry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 286
Rubi-Crawler Vs Rubicon Transfer Case Swap

I am trying to get some opinions on whether to go with installing a Rubi-crawler as an add-on adapter to my transfer case on my 2012 JKU Sport with an auto transmission or swap my TC (2.72:1 gear ratio) with a Rubicon TC (4:1 gear ratio). The Rubi-crawler will give me an additional 2.72x crawl ratio on the TC that is a 7.4 total (2.72x2.72). So I could have two setting one with 2.72:1 and one with 7.4:1 which will be great for crawling on Rocks. The Rubicon TC swap will only give me a 4:1 ratio for crawling on rocks.
I am leaning towards the Rubi-crawler as I get more options in crawling ratios.
Any comments or opinions are welcome.
Thanks.

Joe.

sjchoueiry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-23-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 6,998
Joe you got the 5 speed auto. It won't accept the Rubi Crawler. You gotta go with the Case. The electrics will only allow 1 choice of low gears. Sorry dude I already tried.

Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-23-2013, 08:13 PM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
longnose 359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cherry Valley
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Joe you got the 5 speed auto. It won't accept the Rubi Crawler. You gotta go with the Case. The electrics will only allow 1 choice of low gears. Sorry dude I already tried.
Hey Joe, I was gonna say go with the crawler until Gunner spoke up. But if you gotta go with the case, I love my atlas. But I got a manual tranny, and like using the low gears in 2wd. Happy Holidays, Mark.
longnose 359 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
sjchoueiry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Joe you got the 5 speed auto. It won't accept the Rubi Crawler. You gotta go with the Case. The electrics will only allow 1 choice of low gears. Sorry dude I already tried.
Thanks Bob, but I think it will work with the additional computer module that they recommend to be used, see photo attached.

Joe.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3338893892.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	610593  
sjchoueiry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
sjchoueiry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnose 359 View Post
Hey Joe, I was gonna say go with the crawler until Gunner spoke up. But if you gotta go with the case, I love my atlas. But I got a manual tranny, and like using the low gears in 2wd. Happy Holidays, Mark.
Thanks Mark, I looked into that as well, but the atlas will not work on a 2012 auto.
Joe
sjchoueiry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-23-2013, 09:28 PM   #6
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
longnose 359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cherry Valley
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchoueiry View Post
Thanks Mark, I looked into that as well, but the atlas will not work on a 2012 auto.
Joe
Well, at least I learned something new today.
longnose 359 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-24-2013, 01:35 AM   #7
KMG 365

WF Supporting Member
 
Sccafire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: 92 miles from the Rubicon Trail
Posts: 735
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchoueiry View Post
Thanks Mark, I looked into that as well, but the atlas will not work on a 2012 auto.
Joe
The 4 speed Atlas will not work with your JK. The 2 speed will work with your JK. You just need to get the Body Control Module reflashed. I found this information on their website.

Atlas Transfer Case - JK Wrangler | Tech Vault | Advance Adapters
__________________
Scott
Sccafire is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 6,998
Right and the 4 speed will work on the stick but not the autos. I talked to their electronics guy at the show. He said Jeep made it so they can not use it on the 580 trans. They are gonna wait for the 8 speed and see what jeep does there.
Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,238
I'd go with the transfer case. I figure 4:1 is still going to be nice for crawling. I've never been a fan of 'things that attach to other things' to squeeze out better performance. Like adding a super charger, it's not meant to be there. Whereas the Rubi transfer case was made by Mopar and is on thousands of Jeeps, so you can't go wrong there. I will eventually get a Rubi Tcase.

Things like these remind me of what happened with Russ with his CAI -- add an aftermarket part that's supposed to 'enhance' performance. You might end up breaking something.

I work in the IT field. There are things you can do to cheat your PC's performance (overclocking). You end up running the risk of burning things out.
suicideking is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2013, 04:05 PM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
longnose 359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cherry Valley
Posts: 286
Hey Rick, we just left our daughters house and cruised your street that I think you live on from end to end. Thought you might be out putting all your Christmas goodies on your jeep. We had a great dane in the back seat and I was gonna give him to you for Christmas. Just what you need, right? Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas..
longnose 359 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,238
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnose 359 View Post
Hey Rick, we just left our daughters house and cruised your street that I think you live on from end to end. Thought you might be out putting all your Christmas goodies on your jeep. We had a great dane in the back seat and I was gonna give him to you for Christmas. Just what you need, right? Hope everyone had a Merry Christmas..
That's funny Mark. You wouldn't see my Jeep, it's parked in the garage. Stop by for a beer next time. If you saw a house on the corner near the top of the hill with an inflatable Santa, that's my house.

I have a co-worker that recently got a 'rescue' great dane. They're sweet dogs, just a little large for my tastes. Especially with 3 kids to feed, I don't need a dog the size of a horse.
suicideking is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
sjchoueiry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 286
Thank you guys and merry Christmas to everybody.
I'm still researching it. The only question I have that if I swap a rubicon TC into mine will I need to flash the computer to recognize the 4:1 as opposed to 2.72:1 ratio. I've heard mixed opinions on this. Some say it is a direct swap and when in 4low there is no difference as far as the computer is concerned.
Thanks.

Joe.
sjchoueiry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-25-2013, 05:17 PM   #13
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
longnose 359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cherry Valley
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
That's funny Mark. You wouldn't see my Jeep, it's parked in the garage. Stop by for a beer next time. If you saw a house on the corner near the top of the hill with an inflatable Santa, that's my house.

I have a co-worker that recently got a 'rescue' great dane. They're sweet dogs, just a little large for my tastes. Especially with 3 kids to feed, I don't need a dog the size of a horse.
It might be awhile, so don't take Santa down...
longnose 359 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2014, 08:24 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
sjchoueiry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 286
Finally today my JKU had a rubicon transfer case swap.
Joe
sjchoueiry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2014, 08:29 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Socaltrailrider's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SoCal
Posts: 671
^^^Nice awesome upgrade
Socaltrailrider is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2014, 08:33 PM   #16
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
longnose 359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cherry Valley
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchoueiry View Post
Finally today my JKU had a rubicon transfer case swap.
Joe
That's good Joe, now you can come out tomorrow and test it out on Marble Cyn. tomorrow. Mark.
longnose 359 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2014, 08:36 PM   #17
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 6,998
Let us know how it works off road. It may not recognize the drop in ratio and put it in limp home mode so try it somewhere close to home in case it needs a reflash in say second low.
Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2014, 09:14 PM   #18
Jeeper
 
sjchoueiry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnose 359 View Post
That's good Joe, now you can come out tomorrow and test it out on Marble Cyn. tomorrow. Mark.
Thanks Mark, I saw the thread with JC (moabrubi). Unfortunately I can not make it tomorrow.
Joe.
sjchoueiry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
sjchoueiry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Let us know how it works off road. It may not recognize the drop in ratio and put it in limp home mode so try it somewhere close to home in case it needs a reflash in say second low.
Hey Bob, the TC came out of a 2014 rubi with 90 miles on it. Practically brand new. The guy I got it from had two of them like that.
We tried it on asfalt paving using 2H, 4H, and 4L. Initially the rpm will not go over 2500 in 4L. We put in neutral and let it idle for about 15 seconds, then it worked. However I noticed that the triptronic will not go out of D to shift between the different gears. We cycled the engine by turning it off then on again, it seems that the computer reset itself and everything after that worked fine with no problems. No limp mode or hesitation. I just need now to try it on a trail.
Joe.
sjchoueiry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-04-2014, 10:45 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,238
Nice Joe, I'm jealous!
suicideking is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 12:57 AM   #21
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BillG.OTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchoueiry View Post
Hey Bob, the TC came out of a 2014 rubi with 90 miles on it. Practically brand new. The guy I got it from had two of them like that. We tried it on asfalt paving using 2H, 4H, and 4L. Initially the rpm will not go over 2500 in 4L. We put in neutral and let it idle for about 15 seconds, then it worked. However I noticed that the triptronic will not go out of D to shift between the different gears. We cycled the engine by turning it off then on again, it seems that the computer reset itself and everything after that worked fine with no problems. No limp mode or hesitation. I just need now to try it on a trail. Joe.
Nice Joe!! I don't know about those computer problems since I own a TJ, but I know you will like that Rubi TC. What gears are you running? Hopefully you get some trail time to try it out....
BillG.OTD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 01:48 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchoueiry View Post
Finally today my JKU had a rubicon transfer case swap.
Joe
Sounds like you've got a fever and the only proscription is more rocks..!
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 10:17 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
sjchoueiry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG.OTD View Post
Nice Joe!! I don't know about those computer problems since I own a TJ, but I know you will like that Rubi TC. What gears are you running? Hopefully you get some trail time to try it out....
Thanks Bill. I've had it regeared to 4.88 some time ago. Now with the Rubi TC my crawl ratio should be a lot better. I asked before the right person at the dealership about the swap and he said I should not have any problem and it should be a straight swap.
I have not seen you posting runs for a while. Have you been trailing.
I've been quite busy and have not had time to go out on runs as much as I like.
Joe.
sjchoueiry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 10:22 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
sjchoueiry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
Sounds like you've got a fever and the only proscription is more rocks..!
You got it Steve. I've had this fever for a while, now if only I can find time to go out.
Joe.
sjchoueiry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 10:24 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
sjchoueiry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: West LA, CA
Posts: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
Nice Joe, I'm jealous!
Hey Rick,
The guy has another Rubi TC if you're interested. It is from a brand new 2014 JKU Auto with 90 miles on it.
Joe.
sjchoueiry is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-05-2014, 10:26 AM   #26
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BillG.OTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,063
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjchoueiry View Post
Thanks Bill. I've had it regeared to 4.88 some time ago. Now with the Rubi TC my crawl ratio should be a lot better. I asked before the right person at the dealership about the swap and he said I should not have any problem and it should be a straight swap. I have not seen you posting runs for a while. Have you been trailing. I've been quite busy and have not had time to go out on runs as much as I like. Joe.
That will really be nice when your crawling the rocks.... Maybe we won't be able to call you crazy Joe anymore
I have been wheelin plenty, just not on the forum as much lately and some of the runs we didn't post because we wanted to explore and that's hard to do with 15 or more jeeps. We need to get back down to Marble Canyon or Motino Wash...

BillG.OTD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:58 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC