The Virtual California Jeep Speed shop - Page 11 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > California Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 08-08-2013, 04:34 PM   #301
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
Radesignsproducts.com
Try that should work for you
This is pretty awesome!

How exactly do you use it in normal driving vs crawling? Just a little confused on when you switch between the two

__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-08-2013, 04:39 PM   #302
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table View Post
This is pretty awesome!

How exactly do you use it in normal driving vs crawling? Just a little confused on when you switch between the two
I got lazy and asked...just looked at the FAQ and it makes perfect sense. That is AWESOME!

__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-08-2013, 06:12 PM   #303
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,567
Putting an auto in eh Steve. Going to the dark side I see. Just kidding, I'd love to have an auto.

Those shifters looks pretty cool. Are you using a TCM or is yours going to be manual shift only?
Moabrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-08-2013, 06:17 PM   #304
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Helendale SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,151
For now yes...but I do have a TCM and harness so shorty down the road it will be both full auto and stick-O-matic.
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #305
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
For now yes...but I do have a TCM and harness so shorty down the road it will be both full auto and stick-O-matic.
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #306
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BillG.OTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table View Post

I got lazy and asked...just looked at the FAQ and it makes perfect sense. That is AWESOME!
The aw4 is a great swap and I am VERT with it. It does great on and off road. If I could make any changes to it it would the way they configured the gear selector. It has Drive, than 3, than 1 & 2 combined. It takes about 4500 rpm in low to make it shift to second and then it drops back to first quickly. One of the the features that Steve is adding will give him the ability to keep it in any gear he wants and shift manually if he wants or full auto. Very nice!
BillG.OTD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #307
Jeeper
 
aw12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cons_Table View Post
Also, while I am waiting for an answer on that question directed mostly towards Steve ...Im gonna start a new discussion:

Front axles...

Alright, so you hear it everywhere that the D30/rubi44 is not really the ideal axle for 37s. Is there a worthy front axle swap out there that retains the 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern? If not...maybe 5 on 5.5 is the way to go
5 on 5.5 is the ticket

Here is a nice comparison as far as axle housings/ diff clearance go.
D44 versus 14 bolt D30 versus d60
lil axles on a Jeep on 35's bigger axles on a Jeep on 37's

35" tires versus 37" tires, all at 30 psi. Stock axles versus versus D60 HP and 14 bolt. Which is which? Where is the diff clearance advantage?









Y'all tell me where the big advantage of weaker axles with less gearing choices is?
aw12345 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #308
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Helendale SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG.OTD View Post
The aw4 is a great swap and I am VERT with it. It does great on and off road. If I could make any changes to it it would the way they configured the gear selector. It has Drive, than 3, than 1 & 2 combined. It takes about 4500 rpm in low to make it shift to second and then it drops back to first quickly. One of the the features that Steve is adding will give him the ability to keep it in any gear he wants and shift manually if he wants or full auto. Very nice!
Exactly Bill...plus Geoff.. the main shifter "the Rock" will allow shifting from forward to reverse without having to go through neutral or a button to push and if your running full manual it will automatically go to the gear the other shifter "the Baja II " was in...so say you were climbing the hill on 2N17x and 2nd gear was the optimal gear then you hit the dug out section and needed to back up and then go back forward you could do so by just a couple quick push & pulls on the shifter while resuming once again in second gear without having to think about it.
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #309
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,567
So how much are you all having to shorten your driveshafts with these AW4s?

I always wondered about swapping an auto in, but don't really care for the 42rle and always wondered how to go about the computer/wiring for the AW4. The stick o matic shifters seem to be a nice option.
Moabrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-08-2013, 10:17 PM   #310
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BillG.OTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
So how much are you all having to shorten your driveshafts with these AW4s?
That was an issue for me because I had already upgraded my TC to the 241 which is a few inches longer than the 231. I could not have both without a having too short a DS. Even after giving up the 241, I had to get a SSSYE to gain back the 3" I list on the Trans swap. An LJ wouldn't have that problem.
BillG.OTD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #311
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG.OTD View Post
That was an issue for me because I had already upgraded my TC to the 241 which is a few inches longer than the 231. I could not have both without a having too short a DS. Even after giving up the 241, I had to get a SSSYE to gain back the 3" I list on the Trans swap. An LJ wouldn't have that problem.
I have the 241 so that's why I was curious. Looks like a lot of work to get an auto stuffed in there.
Moabrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 12:29 AM   #312
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BillG.OTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post

I have the 241 so that's why I was curious. Looks like a lot of work to get an auto stuffed in there.
I didn't do the actual work, but with the wiring it can be quite a project. I fought hard to get the 241 and didn't want to part with it, but I am very happy with the results.
BillG.OTD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 06:19 AM   #313
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Helendale SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
I have the 241 so that's why I was curious. Looks like a lot of work to get an auto stuffed in there.
I have a buddy that has given me some good direction on this project. He has a Tj with a AW-4 transmission and the 241 TC and it works great so its a doable project. As for the wiring now that I have everything in front of me its pretty straight forward... coming from a stick your motor doesn't see or talk to the trans so you plug the TCM into the AW-4 trans and supply the TCM with 12v power and away you go.....the Baja II shifter has a switch that allows you to turn off the TCM when you want to go from full automatic to stick-O-matic.
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #314
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Helendale SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bra67ndi View Post
Looks like a lot of work to get an auto stuffed in there.
Some would see it that way but the benefits are golden if you like to wheel the rocks like I do.
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 09:43 AM   #315
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 6,847
What about a Turbo 350? You would most likely never us the AW-4's OD in a race with only a 4.0 for power. The 350 is pretty short and AA has adapters. Also there is tons of race product support for the chevy trans.
Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 11:22 AM   #316
I like Jeeps...

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepwayoflife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: California
Posts: 3,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
What about a Turbo 350? You would most likely never us the AW-4's OD in a race with only a 4.0 for power. The 350 is pretty short and AA has adapters. Also there is tons of race product support for the chevy trans.
My friend has a sport shift kit in his th350 in his 79 pickup and you wouldn't believe how fast it shifts. Pretty much stock 350 engine but can spin 35" tires from a stoplight easy.
__________________
--------------------------------------------------------
jeepwayoflife is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #317
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Helendale SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
5 on 5.5 is the ticket

Here is a nice comparison as far as axle housings/ diff clearance go.
D44 versus 14 bolt D30 versus d60
lil axles on a Jeep on 35's bigger axles on a Jeep on 37's

35" tires versus 37" tires, all at 30 psi. Stock axles versus versus D60 HP and 14 bolt. Which is which? Where is the diff clearance advantage?









Y'all tell me where the big advantage of weaker axles with less gearing choices is?
Here you go...to add to what Art was demonstrating... I'm on 36" Iroks.. this is actual tire height with weight on the tires and as you can see I have almost a foot of pumpkin clearance with Dana 44s
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #318
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Helendale SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,151
O...and the tires have 23lbs in them
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 05:48 PM   #319
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 6,847
What about the Currie Rock Jocks?
Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #320
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
What about the Currie Rock Jocks?
Thats some money
__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #321
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Helendale SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
What about the Currie Rock Jocks?
Well...yeah RJs would probably give some more clearance I'm sure... but they come at a premium price too.
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #322
Jeeper
 
aw12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
Well...yeah RJs would probably give some more clearance I'm sure... but they come at a premium price too.
RJ's biggest feature is that the diff housing is considerably narrower. Has a nice skidplate on it and you can bolts brackets to the top of the diff housing.
Just way out of my league
aw12345 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #323
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BillG.OTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post

Well...yeah RJs would probably give some more clearance I'm sure... but they come at a premium price too.
I think my D44 is about 11" on my 35s. I don't see me going over 35s and plan to stay with d44s front and rear. I think Currie or Savvy just came out with new aftermarket pieces for the 44 with thicker wall tubes, biggers Cs etc. and the have low or high pinion. I would love some HP 44s...
BillG.OTD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 08:28 PM   #324
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG.OTD View Post
I think my D44 is about 11" on my 35s. I don't see me going over 35s and plan to stay with d44s front and rear. I think Currie or Savvy just came out with new aftermarket pieces for the 44 with thicker wall tubes, biggers Cs etc. and the have low or high pinion. I would love some HP 44s...
They are from Currie and the nice thing is you can just swap your current guts into them.

Don't know the cost though for one built up with all the brackets ready to bolt in though.
Moabrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 09:44 PM   #325
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Helendale SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
They are from Currie and the nice thing is you can just swap your current guts into them.

Don't know the cost though for one built up with all the brackets ready to bolt in though.
You need reverse cut gears for the High Pinion D44.
I think I'd still go with the High Pinion Ford d44 if an HP front d44 is what you were after...I grabbed one from the bone yard today for a $125 with Warn premium locking hubs.
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 09:50 PM   #326
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Helendale SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by aw12345 View Post
RJ's biggest feature is that the diff housing is considerably narrower. Has a nice skidplate on it and you can bolts brackets to the top of the diff housing.
Just way out of my league
Yeah..me too. I'll stick to the good ol junkyard's
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #327
Jeeper
 
Moabrubi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Posts: 1,567
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post

You need reverse cut gears for the High Pinion D44.
I think I'd still go with the High Pinion Ford d44 if an HP front d44 is what you were after...I grabbed one from the bone yard today for a $125 with Warn premium locking hubs.
They have LP too. But I agree, junkyard HP44 is the way to go if swapping axles.
Moabrubi is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #328
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Helendale SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moabrubi View Post
They have LP too. But I agree, junkyard HP44 is the way to go if swapping axles.
If your wanting a low pinion d44 then the Waggoner D44 (like I run) is the way to go.
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 10:57 PM   #329
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
longnose 359's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Cherry Valley
Posts: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
Here you go...to add to what Art was demonstrating... I'm on 36" Iroks.. this is actual tire height with weight on the tires and as you can see I have almost a foot of pumpkin clearance with Dana 44s
I should be about 12 inchs when I go bigger. I can hardly wait. Candy says go for it. Mark.
longnose 359 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-09-2013, 11:21 PM   #330
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Helendale SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by longnose 359 View Post
I should be about 12 inchs when I go bigger. I can hardly wait. Candy says go for it. Mark.
Nice
She's a keeper!

__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:58 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC