The Virtual California Jeep Speed shop - Page 4 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > California Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-02-2013, 11:46 PM   #91
Sponsoring Vendor
 
JPi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,619
Doug or Steve, maybe you guys can tell me what this awesome thing is used for. It was at Caterpillar, getting some engine work done, it had a C-7. The doors felt like it took two guys to open, I don't think there was much aluminum used on this thing. The tires were 54", and the mechanic said he thought it was used for IED detection?
Awesome machine!

__________________
32215 Dunlap Blvd.
Yucaipa, CA
92399
877-795-JEEP
Www.jeeperformanceinc.com
www.facebook.com/Jeeperformanceinc
JPi1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 12:01 AM   #92
The Rogue Moderator

::WF Moderator::
 
Cons_Table's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ridgecrest, CA
Posts: 7,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPi1 View Post
Doug or Steve, maybe you guys can tell me what this awesome thing is used for. It was at Caterpillar, getting some engine work done, it had a C-7. The doors felt like it took two guys to open, I don't think there was much aluminum used on this thing. The tires were 54", and the mechanic said he thought it was used for IED detection?
Awesome machine!
Stan...that is for busting through the rocks rather than going over them

__________________
Poor Boy Racing The definition of the EVERYMAN Challenge!

Everyman Challenge XJ Build
Cons_Table is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 12:11 AM   #93
Jeeper
 
Dougzin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Fort Irwin California
Posts: 1,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPi1 View Post
Doug or Steve, maybe you guys can tell me what this awesome thing is used for. It was at Caterpillar, getting some engine work done, it had a C-7. The doors felt like it took two guys to open, I don't think there was much aluminum used on this thing. The tires were 54", and the mechanic said he thought it was used for IED detection?
Awesome machine!
I believe it is basically used to get around. It is fully armored. It should also have the big boom like device on the front bumper that detects and makes the IEDs detonate before they are actually under the vehicle. My mom got to ride in one over in Baghdad. Amazing piece of equipment!
__________________
4LO or Nothin!
Dougzin is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #94
Sponsoring Vendor
 
JPi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,619
I want one!
__________________
32215 Dunlap Blvd.
Yucaipa, CA
92399
877-795-JEEP
Www.jeeperformanceinc.com
www.facebook.com/Jeeperformanceinc
JPi1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 09:07 AM   #95
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Helendale SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,262
What u have there Stan is a M-TAV =medium tactical vehicle
Which is part of the M-RAP =mine resistance ambush protected line of vehicles...and is the vehicle that has replaced the HUMMVs ...

We completely rebuild hundreds of those a year....

Now that u know what they're called I'm sure u can Google all the spec regarding the vehicle ....and ur correct ...no aluminum
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #96
Sponsoring Vendor
 
JPi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOKNROX View Post
What u have there is a M-TAV =medium tactical vehicle
Which is part of the M-RAP =mine resistance ambush protected line of vehicles...and is the vehicle that has replaced the HUMMVs ...

We completely rebuild hundreds of those a year....
Thanks Steve, what a machine
__________________
32215 Dunlap Blvd.
Yucaipa, CA
92399
877-795-JEEP
Www.jeeperformanceinc.com
www.facebook.com/Jeeperformanceinc
JPi1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 02:06 PM   #97
Jeeper
 
krughzn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 64
This thread has a whole lot of fail in it now.
krughzn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 02:07 PM   #98
Jeeper
 
WOKNROX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Helendale SoCal Hi Dez
Posts: 3,262
Yeah they are..we reset 6 different versions of that vehicle ....I love running them on the test drive track...makes a guy feel bad AZZ ..
__________________


WOKNROX!
Let's go wheelin!™
WOKNROX is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 02:25 PM   #99
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BillG.OTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by krughzn View Post
This thread has a whole lot of fail in it now.
What's that supposed to mean?
BillG.OTD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 02:29 PM   #100
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG.OTD View Post
What's that supposed to mean?
I think because it looks like a few people got their feelings hurt yesterday and dropped out of the thread.

I see no reason to take any of it personally.
suicideking is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 02:38 PM   #101
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BillG.OTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by suicideking View Post
I think because it looks like a few people got their feelings hurt yesterday and dropped out of the thread.

I see no reason to take any of it personally.
I don't know that anyone got their feelings hurt, but I believe that Steve got way too much crap over his comments and he is still on.

Bob (Gunner) started a cool thread and since it turned into a rant on aluminum he probably didn't want to deal with all that.

I was going to ask him to come back since it was a good idea.
BillG.OTD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #102
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPi1 View Post
Ok, the real answer is the rocks and your jeep dont care what kind of shocks you have, fox, king, bilstien, Monroe, Gabriel, sway a way, Kuster, no res, remote res, etc, etc. Getting to the rocks is another story, and more so if you drive fast on rough fire roads. You will feel the difference on rough roads, fire roads with drainage dips, whoops, etc. And the longer you drive on rough areas the more the remote res shocks will perform. And when you need more wheel travel, that's when the coil overs come into play. More important than shock brand or style is making what suspension you have work efficiently, setting up droop and bump correctly, make sure there is no binding, no interference between tie rod, drag link, track bars, axle, sway bars, etc. the best way to do this is to have it on a rack, pull the shocks and springs, then work that front axle every way possible. Start with that, and the rest will start making sense.
Thanks for the explanation Stan! I'll put 'better shocks' on the long list. Since mine is a DD, it'd be nice to have a better ride. Not bad now though so it can wait until I address many other things.
suicideking is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #103
Jeeper
 
suicideking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,205
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG.OTD View Post
I don't know that anyone got their feelings hurt, but I believe that Steve got way too much crap over his comments and he is still on.

Bob (Gunner) started a cool thread and since it turned into a rant on aluminum he probably didn't want to deal with all that.

I was going to ask him to come back since it was a good idea.
Yeah, I see not reason to abandon the thread. Already some good info in here. Good place to ask for advice and discuss tech stuff with people we know instead of the random Internet wheelers that we don't know if we can trust them...

At the end of the day: It's your rig, you can do whatever you want to it.

I'm looking to add some lead to my steel skid plates. I think I need more weight!
suicideking is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #104
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 6,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillG.OTD View Post
I don't know that anyone got their feelings hurt, but I believe that Steve got way too much crap over his comments and he is still on.

Bob (Gunner) started a cool thread and since it turned into a rant on aluminum he probably didn't want to deal with all that.

I was going to ask him to come back since it was a good idea.
It wasn't a rant so much as it was just too much aggressiveness to it. I actually do think that light is better, Steve and stan are just wrong there, but I want things to be toned down. I just don't do confrontation. I either walk away from it or go full tilt overboard head on. I chose to walk away and cool down. I am now officially cooled down.
Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 07:28 PM   #105
Jeeper
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 2,647
Images: 21
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPi1 View Post
Ok, the real answer is the rocks and your jeep dont care what kind of shocks you have, fox, king, bilstien, Monroe, Gabriel, sway a way, Kuster, no res, remote res, etc, etc. Getting to the rocks is another story, and more so if you drive fast on rough fire roads. You will feel the difference on rough roads, fire roads with drainage dips, whoops, etc. And the longer you drive on rough areas the more the remote res shocks will perform. And when you need more wheel travel, that's when the coil overs come into play. More important than shock brand or style is making what suspension you have work efficiently, setting up droop and bump correctly, make sure there is no binding, no interference between tie rod, drag link, track bars, axle, sway bars, etc. the best way to do this is to have it on a rack, pull the shocks and springs, then work that front axle every way possible. Start with that, and the rest will start making sense.
Nicely put Stan. My Foxies don't make any difference rock crawling but they sure make getting there a lot nicer. And opening her up is a lot more fun. I can practically drink coffee, straighten my hair and text on fire roads.
JeepHerz is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 07:44 PM   #106
Jeeper
 
2013jeepjk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Riverside
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHerz View Post

Nicely put Stan. My Foxies don't make any difference rock crawling but they sure make getting there a lot nicer. And opening her up is a lot more fun. I can practically drink coffee, straighten my hair and text on fire roads.
So the fox's are good for the bumpy fireroad type stuff ???
__________________
JK ALL DAY !!!
2013jeepjk is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #107
Sponsoring Vendor
 
JPi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013jeepjk View Post

So the fox's are good for the bumpy fireroad type stuff ???
You will feel the difference with a quality shock, like Fox or King. The ride on a fire road would be fantastic with a set of Old Man Emu's, but they won't stay consistant like the high end ones.
__________________
32215 Dunlap Blvd.
Yucaipa, CA
92399
877-795-JEEP
Www.jeeperformanceinc.com
www.facebook.com/Jeeperformanceinc
JPi1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #108
Sponsoring Vendor
 
JPi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2013jeepjk View Post

So the fox's are good for the bumpy fireroad type stuff ???
I heard there's going to be a rule added to "no drinking on the trails", its "no texting on the trails!"
__________________
32215 Dunlap Blvd.
Yucaipa, CA
92399
877-795-JEEP
Www.jeeperformanceinc.com
www.facebook.com/Jeeperformanceinc
JPi1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #109
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 6,955
The Rock Krawler, Old Man Emu suspension you did for Dave rides so sweet on the road. And off road it does a nice job of not hobby horsing all over. But Yeah in the fast stuff shocks are going to get hot.
Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #110
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 6,955
I would say most of my trail running is between 15 to 35 MPH. Out at Anza we might have seen 50 in places but my jeep really didn't like that at all. Too much bouncing and swapping ends. I really don't see myself going that fast off road that much.
Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #111
Sponsoring Vendor
 
JPi1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: So Cal
Posts: 4,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
The Rock Krawler, Old Man Emu suspension you did for Dave rides so sweet on the road. And off road it does a nice job of not hobby horsing all over. But Yeah in the fast stuff shocks are going to get hot.
Exactly Bob, Dave's JK is he smoothest jeep I've ever driven. But we don't need to worry about him going fast now since John Bull, right? Lol
__________________
32215 Dunlap Blvd.
Yucaipa, CA
92399
877-795-JEEP
Www.jeeperformanceinc.com
www.facebook.com/Jeeperformanceinc
JPi1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 09:56 PM   #112
Jeeper
 
Big Vic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPi1 View Post
My feelings are this on this weight issue: I spent many years Drag Racing in the NHRA circuit from California to Indiana, Texas to Seattle. Spent countless dollars on parts and machine work, some was worth the money, some makes me wish I had the wasted dollars so I could pay cash for a nice house by the beach. Carbon fiber, aluminum, magnesium, and lots of titanium parts were part of my car and engine. The most scrutinized part on that car going through NHRA tech inspection was the chromoly chassis. No aluminum, magnesium, or any other alloy because this piece would save your life in the event of an unfortunate crash.
Now back to these Jeeps, I'm with Steve, steel under and sides and put aluminum wherever else you want. We wheel trails, not competition in KOH, not jeep speed or other off road events. The steel, although heavier, withstands rock beatings weekend after rocky weekend. As far as your jeep not performing as well being heavy, were not racing as earlier said, and my pig of a JK unlimited weighs at minimum 6200 lbs, or pounds so I don't get called lazy. Anyone who wheels with me or wants to can see for themselves it will go where I point it. Ready for the KOH? No. Ready for any weekend to have fun with you guys on this forum that actually get out and wheel on a regular basis? Yes! And it does carry an ice chest, tools, jack, and maybe a bumper dumper for those unplanned movements!
Well said Stan, well said.
__________________
Vic
Big Vic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 10:06 PM   #113
Jeeper
 
Big Vic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 378
Can you guys tell me what you think of the old man emu 4" suspention kit. It comes with shocks ,coils, track bar, brake lines, and other stuff. This looks like a good kit for what I do. ( no hammers).
__________________
Vic
Big Vic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 11:42 PM   #114
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BillG.OTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post

It wasn't a rant so much as it was just too much aggressiveness to it. I actually do think that light is better, Steve and stan are just wrong there, but I want things to be toned down. I just don't do confrontation. I either walk away from it or go full tilt overboard head on. I chose to walk away and cool down. I am now officially cooled down.
Hey Bob, Dang if your thread ain't taking a lot out of me as we'll.. I'm glad you decided to come back to it, it's a good idea and there are always questions, opinions and answers to be had... Thx
BillG.OTD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 11:50 PM   #115
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 6,955
Dave didn't get the 4 inch but he's running 35's and loves the way it drives and wheels.
Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #116
Jeeper
 
Big Vic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Dave didn't get the 4 inch but he's running 35's and loves the way it drives and wheels.
So would you say the old man emu kits are of good quality and performance? I want a good quality kit, but nothing over the top.
__________________
Vic
Big Vic is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-04-2013, 12:26 AM   #117
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 6,955
It has a great reputation. The TJ guys say it's one of the best for street manners. It needs arms though.
Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 04:44 PM   #118
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 6,955
Ok I tried a little experiment this weekend. I filled my two Jerry cans with 60 pounds of gas. They hang off the back of the bumper. What I found is that my rear tires slipped more coming down off boulders and ledges than they did without the gas in them. My fronts worked just the same as usual. So I did notice a change for the worse with the extra weight. And it sure did hit hard a few times coming down.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tire Rack side shot.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	245972  
Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 06:50 PM   #119
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
BillG.OTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 2,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
Ok I tried a little experiment this weekend. I filled my two Jerry cans with 60 pounds of gas. They hang off the back of the bumper. What I found is that my rear tires slipped more coming down off boulders and ledges than they did without the gas in them. My fronts worked just the same as usual. So I did notice a change for the worse with the extra weight. And it sure did hit hard a few times coming down.
Yeah, that's some weight with fuel at 8 or so lbs per gallon and the hi lift is heavy as well, I have one but haven't ever mounted it. Depending on the trail or trip, having extra fluids can be a big help. Last year someone ran out of gas while trying to upright a jeep and only 1 person had some extra fuel....sure did come in handy. A siphon pump might be a help as well.....
BillG.OTD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #120
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 6,955
Well I just swapped a hard top for a soft top with Andy K9hdlr. So there is about a 100 pounds off. Next is gonna be the whole rear bumper assembly. For something small and light with a receiver mounted in the middle of the beam. I am going to work on some way of putting the tire back on the door and I am debating the high lift. How many times have you guys used yours.

Gunner is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:54 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC