To My Wrangler Forum Family of Friends - Page 136 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > California Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-23-2013, 06:48 PM   #4051
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
iwaxmyjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Irwin
Posts: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Titan_Guy View Post
someone loan me $2,200!!! 1995 jeep wrangler wonder whats wrong with it?
Might be a 4 popper lol

iwaxmyjimmy is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 06:50 PM   #4052
Jeeper
 
That_Titan_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Porterville, CA
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwaxmyjimmy View Post
Might be a 4 popper lol
probably but Lorie seems to do ok in hers, i should be fine lol

That_Titan_Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 06:54 PM   #4053
Jeeper
 
RadarRob2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Titan_Guy View Post
probably but Lorie seems to do ok in hers, i should be fine lol
But you ain't Lorie. And she's invested over $20,000.00 in her Joanzie. You'd do better getting a 4.0L with a D44 in the rear, and building from there. Or trade in the truck, and get a Rubicon.
RadarRob2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 06:57 PM   #4054
Jeeper
 
That_Titan_Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Porterville, CA
Posts: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRob2012 View Post
But you ain't Lorie. And she's invested over $20,000.00 in her Joanzie. You'd do better getting a 4.0L with a D44 in the rear, and building from there. Or trade in the truck, and get a Rubicon.
yeah i'm still waiting to see if i'm going full time at work... one more month before everything changes. I keep driving by and seeing 4 door rubi's at the lot and thinking about finding stock tires so i can run my 35" KM2's on the new rig, i just don't see myself without a truck though, use the bed all the time on it
That_Titan_Guy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 07:00 PM   #4055
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
iwaxmyjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Irwin
Posts: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRob2012 View Post

But you ain't Lorie. And she's invested over $20,000.00 in her Joanzie. You'd do better getting a 4.0L with a D44 in the rear, and building from there. Or trade in the truck, and get a Rubicon.
Yeah unless you're damn good at working on stuff yourself and using junkyard parts I frown upon buying a project that you're going to replace everything to get the result you want. I still want to build a YJ though lol
iwaxmyjimmy is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #4056
Jeeper
 
Idriveoverstuff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 288
Listen to the kid he paid half what I'm paying and with MINIMAL investment has no problems... I've invested WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY TOO MUCH for what I got
Idriveoverstuff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 07:31 PM   #4057
Jeeper
 
RadarRob2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,458
I'll take my discounted parts and services at the dealer, thank you very much. Lol
RadarRob2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 08:12 PM   #4058
Jeeper
 
Lab Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nipomo, CA
Posts: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by I H8RDS View Post
OMG! I have to change my underwear.

But not for $20K
That Jeep was built by my friend Dennis, he built mine and the Black Jeep I have dreams about. That thing is awesome, Lori you would look soooo good in it!!!!!
__________________
What do Jeeps & Margaritas have in common?
Both are better on the rocks.

Life's better with two Jeeps: One for the Mall and one to crawl
Lab Lover is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #4059
Jeeper
 
josea1952's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: desert
Posts: 308
That thing is worth the 20k and then some. I've been looking at a one ton conversion and even penny pinching its not cheap, easy 2k in just the rear. 37's are def not to big, you just get to do bigger stuff, everything is relative. But, put a set if 35's on it and you won't ever break a thing, that beast is solid.
josea1952 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #4060
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
iwaxmyjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Irwin
Posts: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by josea1952 View Post
Lorie, it's screaming your name!!!!!!

2004 Jeep Wrangler Crawler
Those axles are about $3k for the rear and $4500 for the front. Plus the lockers ($800 each).... Needs 40s lol
iwaxmyjimmy is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 09:17 PM   #4061
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
iwaxmyjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Irwin
Posts: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by josea1952 View Post
That thing is worth the 20k and then some. I've been looking at a one ton conversion and even penny pinching its not cheap, easy 2k in just the rear. 37's are def not to big, you just get to do bigger stuff, everything is relative. But, put a set if 35's on it and you won't ever break a thing, that beast is solid.
*cough* junkyard 14bolt *cough* its just a matter of cutting old brackets off and welding on new ones. Find some hummer H2 wheels and your golden. If you're worried about clearance, call ballistic fan. They can add about 2 inches of clearance back to the 14bolt. The front you're better off finding a king pin D60 out of a Ford f350. 78-79 preferably. Clean the tubes up and make your own mounts or go air struts (you save money doing it the junkyard way).
iwaxmyjimmy is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #4062
Jeeper
 
RadarRob2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,458
You know what? Just wheel what you got!!! And we'll get you through. But if you have to go crazy, all I can say is, Portal Axles F'ers!!! There's your clearance. Lol
RadarRob2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 09:26 PM   #4063
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
iwaxmyjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Irwin
Posts: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRob2012 View Post
You know what? Just wheel what you got!!! And we'll get you through. But if you have to go crazy, all I can say is, Portal Axles F'ers!!! There's your clearance. Lol
Bad thing about portal axles is the added leverage they have on your links and mounts... Very easy to break beefy parts with those.
iwaxmyjimmy is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 09:31 PM   #4064
Jeeper
 
RadarRob2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by iwaxmyjimmy View Post

Bad thing about portal axles is the added leverage they have on your links and mounts... Very easy to break beefy parts with those.
Are you kidding me? They ran them on the cab forward Rubicon at the Easter jeep safari last year in Moab. No problems. But damn if they aren't expensive.
RadarRob2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #4065
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
iwaxmyjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Irwin
Posts: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRob2012 View Post

Are you kidding me? They ran them on the cab forward Rubicon at the Easter jeep safari last year in Moab. No problems. But damn if they aren't expensive.
No I'm not kidding you can run a 4 link with them and still need a track bar. If you get into some mud/rocks the shock load plays havoc on the links. Since the wheels/tires mount several inches lower than where the links mount to the axle tubes. It act basically like a breaker bar verses a stubby ratchet.
iwaxmyjimmy is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 09:46 PM   #4066
Jeeper
 
RadarRob2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,458
The Jeep Engineers are Swearing by them. And like I said, when I talked to the fellas who ran the Easter Jeep Safari, they said they didn't have any problems with them. And they Beat on those things. Just saying.
RadarRob2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 09:53 PM   #4067
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
iwaxmyjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Irwin
Posts: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRob2012 View Post
The Jeep Engineers are Swearing by them. And like I said, when I talked to the fellas who ran the Easter Jeep Safari, they said they didn't have any problems with them. And they Beat on those things. Just saying.
Just saying, they didn't throw a 500hp v8 and 42s aired down to 6lbs at them. Along with alot of wheel spin and rock ledges covered in clay. Last rig I helped a guy running them had issues with .250 wall lower links pulling the treads out of the joints and the joints themselves coming apart on them.

Edit: it was a YJ with air struts and unimog axles, 351 Windsor/C6/Atlas 5:1 t-case. They were running 37s on the cab over and they definitely didn't neat it as hard as my buddy beat on his YJ.
iwaxmyjimmy is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #4068
Jeeper
 
RadarRob2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,458
Well then I'm guessing the Jeep Engineers just did a better job on their build. After all, it is what they do. And who needs 500 HP on a Jeep?
RadarRob2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 10:02 PM   #4069
Jeeper
 
RadarRob2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,458
Screw it, I'll just keep my LJ. It goes everywhere my friends go. And while it occasionally needs a tug, it has tugged its share of others off the rocks as well.
RadarRob2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 10:08 PM   #4070
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
iwaxmyjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Irwin
Posts: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRob2012 View Post
Well then I'm guessing the Jeep Engineers just did a better job on their build. After all, it is what they do. And who needs 500 HP on a Jeep?
YouTube rock bouncing... That's what my buddy shane did when it first started up. Now guys are building buggies with 800+ hp.
iwaxmyjimmy is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 10:10 PM   #4071
Jeeper
 
I H8RDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Ventura, Ca
Posts: 7,555
Quote:
Originally Posted by josea1952 View Post
That thing is worth the 20k and then some. I've been looking at a one ton conversion and even penny pinching its not cheap, easy 2k in just the rear. 37's are def not to big, you just get to do bigger stuff, everything is relative. But, put a set if 35's on it and you won't ever break a thing, that beast is solid.
Ya dude, I'm not new to this game. I know its worth the money, I'm sayin' I dont have 20K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRob2012 View Post
Screw it, I'll just keep my LJ. It goes everywhere my friends go. And while it occasionally needs a tug, it has tugged its share of others off the rocks as well.
EXACTLY.
__________________
SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
I H8RDS is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #4072
Jeeper
 
RadarRob2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,458
Well yeah, if you've got $100,000.00 or more to spend. But I'm a crawler, except for the occasional leaping LJ moment. I don't need that much power. Or the bill that goes along with it.

And if I did, I'd get AEV to build me a Rubi with the 6.4L Hemi. Yeah, that would work. Lol
RadarRob2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 10:24 PM   #4073
Jeeper
 
Lab Lover's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nipomo, CA
Posts: 3,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadarRob2012 View Post
Well yeah, if you've got $100,000.00 or more to spend. But I'm a crawler, except for the occasional leaping LJ moment. I don't need that much power. Or the bill that goes along with it.
Oh Lord, can you imagine the carnage you could cause with any more horsepower than what you have?

It wouldn't be Leaping, it would be flying and crashing
__________________
What do Jeeps & Margaritas have in common?
Both are better on the rocks.

Life's better with two Jeeps: One for the Mall and one to crawl
Lab Lover is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-23-2013, 10:27 PM   #4074
Jeeper
 
RadarRob2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,458
Well Duh, just put wings on it huh? Lol
RadarRob2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-24-2013, 12:19 AM   #4075
Jeeper
 
josea1952's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: desert
Posts: 308
Def understand that Lorie and I def don't discredit your time around this game, but I think we all agree with letting someone else spend the money. No doubt Kenny, but even with a 14b which is what I am planning on by the time I'm done with all the fab, shave kit, links, brackets, then the internals I'm still at 2k. It's almost cheaper and easier to do the RJ rear.

My whole issue with those portals is the complexity, not to mention price. Also as far as jeep engineers go lets thanks them for using shit parts in the Jk like the ball joints, and the throw out bearings and my favorite the infamous Jk track bar bolt. What I will say that me and rob talked about before was the fact that no other vehicle can do what these things do, literally untouchable.
josea1952 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-24-2013, 12:26 AM   #4076
Jeeper
 
RadarRob2012's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 4,458
Wait until we start getting Fix It Again Tony Jeeps. I can't wait to see the New Cherokee.

And for me the whole issue on the Portal Axle is the price. Because Dang, they do clear some rocks. Lol
RadarRob2012 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-24-2013, 12:59 AM   #4077
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
iwaxmyjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Irwin
Posts: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by josea1952 View Post
Def understand that Lorie and I def don't discredit your time around this game, but I think we all agree with letting someone else spend the money. No doubt Kenny, but even with a 14b which is what I am planning on by the time I'm done with all the fab, shave kit, links, brackets, then the internals I'm still at 2k. It's almost cheaper and easier to do the RJ rear.

My whole issue with those portals is the complexity, not to mention price. Also as far as jeep engineers go lets thanks them for using shit parts in the Jk like the ball joints, and the throw out bearings and my favorite the infamous Jk track bar bolt. What I will say that me and rob talked about before was the fact that no other vehicle can do what these things do, literally untouchable.
RJ rears are still $3500+. What gears are you planning on running, Btw setting up a 14 bolt is easy as hell. Also I've mentioned them before, but find one of them 84-88 cucv trucks rob the axles out of it and find a like pair of half ton axles and resale the truck. You might have $1000 in both axles have 4.56s and a Detroit rear. Cheapest and easiest way to go 1 tons.
iwaxmyjimmy is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-24-2013, 01:22 AM   #4078
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
iwaxmyjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Irwin
Posts: 2,077
If you did a majority of the work yourself it shouldn't be to bad. Disc brakes $200 (rotors/loaded calipers/brackets), 5.38s ($350 pre-turned), shave deal ($300 plus machine work), truss and mounts for everything (time, wire, steel stock $100). Could be done for $1500-$1700 at the most, if you start with a CUCV rear (Detroit's are over $500 for these now, mine was only $290 4 years ago). But with the rear brakes you'll need 76 caddy Eldorado calipers to retain the parking brake. Also remember you'll be able to sell your axles to someone and recoup a lot of the cost. You know some tard would pay $1500 per axle if not more. Hell, maybe Lorie could put them in joanzie lol



PS I'm good at bench racing and my 14 bolt cost me $200, $60 for brake brackets, $100 in rotors, $0 had some half ton gm calipers, $15 pads, $290 Detroit. Came with 4.10s, haven't shaved it yet, but it needs it. Btw H2 wheels can be had for $250 for a set of 4. Everyone wanted bling bling on them lol
iwaxmyjimmy is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-24-2013, 03:19 AM   #4079
Jeeper
 
josea1952's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: desert
Posts: 308
H-2 are 6 lug right? I figure going one ton I might as well go 8 lug and love my 8 on 6.5 wheel choices.

Did you get your rockers yet? You gonna make it out this weekend?
josea1952 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-24-2013, 03:50 AM   #4080
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
iwaxmyjimmy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ft. Irwin
Posts: 2,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by josea1952 View Post
H-2 are 6 lug right? I figure going one ton I might as well go 8 lug and love my 8 on 6.5 wheel choices.

Did you get your rockers yet? You gonna make it out this weekend?
H2s are 1 ton, and Nah bud I've got more studying and stuff to do ok the 30th

iwaxmyjimmy is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:41 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC