Truck trail? Jeep trail? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > California Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 03-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
thedaringmove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Riverside CA
Posts: 977
Truck trail? Jeep trail?

Has anyone heard of an Indian truck trail? Or maybe it's jeep trail? I'm near LA and a friend of mine told me about it but I can't exactly remember the details

thedaringmove is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
2013jeepjk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Riverside
Posts: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedaringmove View Post
Has anyone heard of an Indian truck trail? Or maybe it's jeep trail? I'm near LA and a friend of mine told me about it but I can't exactly remember the details
Ive heard of it but never been to it , I know the road Indian truck trail is an exit off the 15 freeway between corona and lake Elsinore .

__________________
JK ALL DAY !!!
2013jeepjk is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 7,910
I believe it is a part of the North Main Divide trail that starts on Hwy 74. I seem to remember seeing it on that piece of map. Trail head is up by Hells Kitchen if I remember right.
Gunner is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:47 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
thedaringmove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Riverside CA
Posts: 977
Is it worth doing in jeeps? Anyone know? Are there even any obstacles?
thedaringmove is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 7,910
It's suppose to just be a fire road. Scenic is all.
Gunner is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
02sporttj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lake Elsinore, Ca
Posts: 178
Definitely scenic fire road. Any attempt at going off on other than fire road and the rangers are there to either warn you or ticket you for straying off designated road. Areas in Cleveland National are under scrutiny at the moment, including Skyline.
__________________
Gravity isn't a law
It's just a suggestion
02sporttj is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 7,910
It is a tread VERY lightly area is what your saying.
Gunner is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
02sporttj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lake Elsinore, Ca
Posts: 178
Yes gunner, almost tiptoe at this point.
__________________
Gravity isn't a law
It's just a suggestion
02sporttj is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 12:52 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
02sporttj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lake Elsinore, Ca
Posts: 178
I have been reprimanded twice for straying off designated road. Must be a steering problem, not my fault. Next time will be a ticket.
__________________
Gravity isn't a law
It's just a suggestion
02sporttj is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:02 PM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 7,910
Darn sounds like you need the PSC Hydraulic Steering Mod. Guaranteed to keep you on the trail.
Gunner is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
02sporttj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lake Elsinore, Ca
Posts: 178
Gears and disconnects first.
__________________
Gravity isn't a law
It's just a suggestion
02sporttj is offline   Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
thedaringmove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Riverside CA
Posts: 977
Sounds like just an after school half day adventure. Ill save it for another day.
thedaringmove is offline   Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 11:40 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
R8DRIZD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Murrieta
Posts: 1,004
Images: 4
02Sporttj..Do you know if it is open at Indian Truck trail or Skyline? Maybe off Ortega?
R8DRIZD is online now   Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:44 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
02sporttj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lake Elsinore, Ca
Posts: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8DRIZD View Post
02Sporttj..Do you know if it is open at Indian Truck trail or Skyline? Maybe off Ortega?
Usually if it has rained, USFS locks Indian Truck Trails. They reopen after it has had some time to dry. Skyline is hit or miss. Sometimes the gate is open, but there is a big push to keep the gate locked. If you have a key it may still work. USFS is getting complaints from the residence (new houses) about the gate, dust, noise wah wah. They are now talking about putting a new lock on and making it harder to get a key, as they don't know how many keys are out here. I don't know about Ortega.
__________________
Gravity isn't a law
It's just a suggestion
02sporttj is offline   Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
R8DRIZD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Murrieta
Posts: 1,004
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02sporttj View Post
Usually if it has rained, USFS locks Indian Truck Trails. They reopen after it has had some time to dry. Skyline is hit or miss. Sometimes the gate is open, but there is a big push to keep the gate locked. If you have a key it may still work. USFS is getting complaints from the residence (new houses) about the gate, dust, noise wah wah. They are now talking about putting a new lock on and making it harder to get a key, as they don't know how many keys are out here. I don't know about Ortega.
Well...I had the itch and took my Jeep out for the first time. Went up Holy Jim Canyon. On the way up I noticed the gate open half way up the canyon on the left. It was raining pretty good and mud was present. It turn out to be Trabuco Creek Rd. Nice big ruts to pass but made it. I followed it up to Santiago Truck Trail. Started raining real hard and snow. Ran out of time and had to turn back.

My new drug!
R8DRIZD is online now   Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:30 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
R8DRIZD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Murrieta
Posts: 1,004
Images: 4
Some pictures of the journey
R8DRIZD is online now   Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 08:51 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
thedaringmove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Riverside CA
Posts: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by R8DRIZD View Post

Well...I had the itch and took my Jeep out for the first time. Went up Holy Jim Canyon. On the way up I noticed the gate open half way up the canyon on the left. It was raining pretty good and mud was present. It turn out to be Trabuco Creek Rd. Nice big ruts to pass but made it. I followed it up to Santiago Truck Trail. Started raining real hard and snow. Ran out of time and had to turn back.

My new drug!
Where's the entrance to holy Jim? This looks like a fun day trip.
thedaringmove is offline   Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 10:21 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
R8DRIZD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Murrieta
Posts: 1,004
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedaringmove View Post
Where's the entrance to holy Jim? This looks like a fun day trip.

Take Trabuco canyon passed O'Neil Park...Holy Jim Canyon is on the left before you head up the curved hill.
R8DRIZD is online now   Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,025
Images: 27
Thanks for posting. Was planning on trying this weekend or next but wasn't sure it was open. Dumb question: did you NEED 4wd? I am breaking in my new gears; can't use 4wd yet. My niece is visiting and I'd like to take her on a trail. Done Main Divide - would normally think 2wd is fine. But from your pics it looks a little mangled from the rain.
JeepHerz is online now   Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #20
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Gunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Seal Beach
Posts: 7,910
It is rutted and steep in places. You just might need it especially since it might still be wet.
Gunner is offline   Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
R8DRIZD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Murrieta
Posts: 1,004
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunner View Post
It is rutted and steep in places. You just might need it especially since it might still be wet.

Your correct Gunner... The gate up to Santiago Creek Rd is steep and wet. Even with mud you would need 4 wheel drive.

You can however go up holy Jim Canyon.. It a nice drive to the end of the trail. Creek crossings, trees.. a nice drive.
R8DRIZD is online now   Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
JeepHerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: California
Posts: 3,025
Images: 27
Thanks. Going to have to wait I guess. Is there an impatient foot stomping emoticon?
JeepHerz is online now   Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
R8DRIZD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Murrieta
Posts: 1,004
Images: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepHerz View Post
Thanks. Going to have to wait I guess. Is there an impatient foot stomping emoticon?

No but the head baning on a brick wall should work.


Let me know.. I'm game for that trail any time.

R8DRIZD is online now   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:32 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC