Mt Charleston - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > Nevada Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 11-26-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
VegasYFZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vegas
Posts: 46
Images: 1
Mt Charleston

The family and I are heading up to MtCharleston to play in the snow on Thursday. I've been to the places along the road, and it's too busy. Is there anywhere else we can go? Maybe utilizing an unpaved road?

VegasYFZ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-26-2013, 07:49 PM   #2
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
raythom3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW Las Vegas
Posts: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasYFZ View Post
The family and I are heading up to MtCharleston to play in the snow on Thursday. I've been to the places along the road, and it's too busy. Is there anywhere else we can go? Maybe utilizing an unpaved road?
I wouldn't go alone but if your wanting to do some trails, you can do Wheeler Pass. We went this past weekend and ended up turning around before we got to the pass, but there was a lot of snow up there. I think that there may be a group brewing for Friday if you can wait.

__________________
2012 Wrangler Altitude - Deep Cherry Red
Ace Rock Rails
Cobra 75 with Firestick
3.5 Rubicon Express Standard Lift with Bilstien 5100
Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70R/18 on Stock Wheels with 1.5" Spacers
raythom3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
VizzJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 116
Going up mount Charleston by the chains required pull over section there is a gravel road to your left, take that and you'll find some un touched places without people. Road is safe and maintained. Mostly gravel with some rocky sections.
VizzJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 02:25 AM   #4
Jeeper
 
Willson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Durango/215
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by VizzJK View Post
Going up mount Charleston by the chains required pull over section there is a gravel road to your left, take that and you'll find some un touched places without people. Road is safe and maintained. Mostly gravel with some rocky sections.
They blocked that road off with the gate there.

However if you know where one of the roads that come out earlier way before the chain place you can get there from the back way. I think it has a for sale sign on the corner of the road I'm talking about. I'm not too sure there would be too much snow back there as the only road I knew that went higher up the mountain has been buried when they made the fire break, and most of that area is bare and burned from the fire.



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3843913361.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	547898

Here's the road. I know it don't help much but you'll see it if you scan the road.
__________________
-Jeeps-
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport (traded)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Willson is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 09:09 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
VizzJK's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 116
I haven't been up there in. Long time, I assumed there would be snow at elevation.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-761569347.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	548354  
VizzJK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 09:55 AM   #6
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
raythom3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW Las Vegas
Posts: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willson View Post
They blocked that road off with the gate there.

However if you know where one of the roads that come out earlier way before the chain place you can get there from the back way. I think it has a for sale sign on the corner of the road I'm talking about. I'm not too sure there would be too much snow back there as the only road I knew that went higher up the mountain has been buried when they made the fire break, and most of that area is bare and burned from the fire.



Attachment 547898

Here's the road. I know it don't help much but you'll see it if you scan the road.
Is this the trail up to Griffith peak trail head?
__________________
2012 Wrangler Altitude - Deep Cherry Red
Ace Rock Rails
Cobra 75 with Firestick
3.5 Rubicon Express Standard Lift with Bilstien 5100
Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70R/18 on Stock Wheels with 1.5" Spacers
raythom3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
stillcrazydave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Henderson NV
Posts: 203
Quote:
Originally Posted by raythom3 View Post
I wouldn't go alone but if your wanting to do some trails, you can do Wheeler Pass. We went this past weekend and ended up turning around before we got to the pass, but there was a lot of snow up there. I think that there may be a group brewing for Friday if you can wait.
You guys turned around When you did the Wheeler Pass run??
__________________
2012 JKU True Blue Oscar Mike
Rock Krawler 3.5 X-Factor
Black Rock Viper 35x12.5x15 MTR Kevlars
Evo Rock Skins
3.73 gears Limited Slip
stillcrazydave is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 11:52 AM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
raythom3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW Las Vegas
Posts: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillcrazydave View Post
You guys turned around When you did the Wheeler Pass run??
Sadly, yes! We got caught behind a group that made it up but glazed the trail to a point where a few of us were struggling with forward motion, it was more the 2 doors that seemed to be having trouble, except Jokerchief, he made it to the top. It was still a great day in the snow. Got a lot of exercise with a shovel that day
__________________
2012 Wrangler Altitude - Deep Cherry Red
Ace Rock Rails
Cobra 75 with Firestick
3.5 Rubicon Express Standard Lift with Bilstien 5100
Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70R/18 on Stock Wheels with 1.5" Spacers
raythom3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
VegasYFZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vegas
Posts: 46
Images: 1
Thanks for the input guys! I might give that a try. I've been down that way before. We will check it out.
VegasYFZ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Willson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Durango/215
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by raythom3 View Post

Is this the trail up to Griffith peak trail head?
I'm not sure if it is. I know that one trail went to a lake or a lagoon. And another was a jeep trail that would take you up so far and the rest of the trail was a hike to the top. I'm not sure what the top was called. It might of been called that.
__________________
-Jeeps-
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport (traded)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Willson is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Willson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: South Durango/215
Posts: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by raythom3 View Post

Sadly, yes! We got caught behind a group that made it up but glazed the trail to a point where a few of us were struggling with forward motion, it was more the 2 doors that seemed to be having trouble, except Jokerchief, he made it to the top. It was still a great day in the snow. Got a lot of exercise with a shovel that day
Hell yeah we did. And here I thought to myself I wasn't going to bring them, someone else will.
__________________
-Jeeps-
2014 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Sport (traded)

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."
Willson is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 07:45 PM   #12
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
raythom3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: NW Las Vegas
Posts: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willson View Post

Hell yeah we did. And here I thought to myself I wasn't going to bring them, someone else will.
It's a good thing you brought real shovels I only had plastic snow shovels which wouldn't have worked very well on the hard pack and ice. Thanks!
__________________
2012 Wrangler Altitude - Deep Cherry Red
Ace Rock Rails
Cobra 75 with Firestick
3.5 Rubicon Express Standard Lift with Bilstien 5100
Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70R/18 on Stock Wheels with 1.5" Spacers
raythom3 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 11-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
VegasYFZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Vegas
Posts: 46
Images: 1
Have you ever done Carpenter Canyon in the snow? Beautiful and fun in the snow!

VegasYFZ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:05 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC