Permits? - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > WF Local > WF Local Forums for Your Region and State > Washington Jeep Forum

Join Wrangler Forum Today

Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on
Old 02-07-2013, 06:08 PM   #1
MangoTangoRubi's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Somewhere in the Pacific NW
Posts: 89

I just spent an hour reading various forms about OHV/ORV permits for 4x4 vehicles. I am as confused as ever. Do I need an OHV/ORV permit or license for state and federal lands in Washington? Or is my registered Jeep with a Discover Pass enough?
MangoTangoRubi is offline   Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 3,779
Some take the Discover Pass (Tahuya, Elbe) Some take the Northwest Forest pass (Evan's Creek, Nachez, Kaner, Raven's Roost). Those 2, and the Oregon OHV pass, and it has covered any where I have wheeled in the past couple of years.

Bob K.

nwbronco is offline   Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
baddandy's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Spanaway, WA
Posts: 244
Discover Pass - Tahuya, Elbe, Sadie Hills, Ocult Burn, some of Ahtanum south of Hwy 12, all GREEN DOT roads AND AREAS east of FR 1703 from south of I-90 to north of Hwy 410. Basically every state lands that have use by recreationists.

NW Forest Pass - Evan's Creek, some of the campgrounds along Hwy 410, Taneum and Manashtash, and some hiking trailheads in all National Forests, but the only trails in WA that I know of needing it are Evan's Creek. You don't need it on any ORV trail in the Mt. Baker/Snoqualmie, Winatchee, Okinagan, Ginford Pincho National Forests.

Peruse every region's website to see what is required before you, ignorance will still get you a ticket.

Now for my 2 cents.

The Discover Pass is a WA state pass for DNR trails and ORV areas that mainly pays for increased law enforcement and state campgrounds (the ones you have to still pay for entry), and Fish & Wildlife law enforcement, sites and areas, that's why you'll get caught for not having one so easily. ORV tabs are suppose to exempt those vehicles with it, but people are still getting ticketed, plus the rig that got the ORV there still needs the Pass! Volunteers and Clubs are who mainly maintain the trails.

The NW Forest Pass is USFS and it pays for the trails, campgrounds and rangers to maintain them. You only need to have the Pass if parked at hiking trailheads and day-use areas. Volunteers and Clubs help the rangers maintain the trails.

Snowmobilers get double whammied by both!

If you don't mind paying $30 for each Pass every year, get both and don't worry about any of the above.

Guess what pass I have, don't have and where I go and don't go? I can still wheel/bike without either Pass on thousands of miles of roads and trails in WA. I do miss Elbe in the Jeep and Tahuya on the bike during the winter, but I don't go to either during the rest of the year anyways.
2013 JK 2 Door Sport Rubiclone 6 speed, RC 3.5" Series II, JKS front TB, TF rear TB brkt, 315/70/17 GY Duratracs, 17x8 ProComp 7005s, Rubi 44s
baddandy is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:26 AM   #4
Throwmorepartsatit's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Carlsbad ca
Posts: 90
The only requirement for either pass is if you park, there is no fee for wheeling.
Throwmorepartsatit is offline   Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Olympia, WA
Posts: 3,779
Originally Posted by Throwmorepartsatit View Post
The only requirement for either pass is if you park, there is no fee for wheeling.

That sir, is not entirely true up here.

Bob K.
nwbronco is offline   Quote

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:13 AM.

User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC. is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC