98 Wrangler Sport 2.5 Check Engine - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Discussion Forums > Off-Topic

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 07-30-2011, 03:58 PM   #1
Newb
 
Saffer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
98 Wrangler Sport 2.5 Check Engine

Hi All,

I have a '98 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 Sport Soft top. Recently it started missing really badly, I have chenged the Spark Plugs, Spark Plug Leeds, distributor cap and rotar but the missfire has only got worse and today the check engine light has come on.

Please help:

1. How do I check the OBD for the error code?
2. Where can I find a list of error codes and their meanings?
3. Does anybody know what the problem may be.

I am worried to death that this is going to turn out to be a serious (costly) problem.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Saffer73

Saffer73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #2
Just a kid at heart...

WF Supporting Member
 
seadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Almost where I belong...
Posts: 14,138
You will probably get more results if you ask this same question in the TJ section. I don't know if a 98 is OBD or OBD-2. I have a good link for OBD-2 diagnostics. Nothing for OBD.

__________________
Brian



I tried to be good, but I got bored...
seadog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
schnutzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ring side seats to the the country's largest circus
Posts: 28,183
Send a message via AIM to schnutzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog View Post
You will probably get more results if you ask this same question in the TJ section. I don't know if a 98 is OBD or OBD-2. I have a good link for OBD-2 diagnostics. Nothing for OBD.
all vehicles from 1996 on are ODB-2
__________________
clinging on to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
schnutzy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
jeepnjennifer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Bauxite, AR
Posts: 569
Send a message via Yahoo to jeepnjennifer
i have a 98 sahara, having the same problem, replaced everything. and then after testing compression.... guess who had to replace the head gasket!?!


<~~~ this girl..... it was definatly no bueno.... but fixed my problem....

might help ya.
__________________
jeepnJennifer
"Good girls go to heaven, jeep girls go wherever we want!"
jeepnjennifer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2011, 05:37 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
RockyWrangler98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 8,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffer73
Hi All,

I have a '98 Jeep Wrangler 2.5 Sport Soft top. Recently it started missing really badly, I have chenged the Spark Plugs, Spark Plug Leeds, distributor cap and rotar but the missfire has only got worse and today the check engine light has come on.

Please help:

1. How do I check the OBD for the error code?
2. Where can I find a list of error codes and their meanings?
3. Does anybody know what the problem may be.

I am worried to death that this is going to turn out to be a serious (costly) problem.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards,
Saffer73
Get them to hook up a diagnostic tester at autozone, or some parts place. 98's don't have the "key on, key off x3" test ability.
__________________
"Why do you drive something like that?" ...To which I reply: "To make people like you ask questions like that."
RockyWrangler98 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2011, 09:04 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: somewhere....
Posts: 11,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog View Post
You will probably get more results if you ask this same question in the TJ section. I don't know if a 98 is OBD or OBD-2. I have a good link for OBD-2 diagnostics. Nothing for OBD.
for once i agree with brian. on the TJ section

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyWrangler98 View Post
Get them to hook up a diagnostic tester at autozone, or some parts place. 98's don't have the "key on, key off x3" test ability.
also with you kinda? weird right? lmao... anyways go to a shop not an autozone they don't know anything. but you should def get a diagnostic test.
find out what codes come up. you can google it and an OBD 2 site should come up. goodluck man.
redjeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #7
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
schnutzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: ring side seats to the the country's largest circus
Posts: 28,183
Send a message via AIM to schnutzy
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjeeper View Post
also with you kinda? weird right? lmao... anyways go to a shop not an autozone they don't know anything. but you should def get a diagnostic test.
find out what codes come up. you can google it and an OBD 2 site should come up. goodluck man.
doesnt matter what they know if you are just looking for codes.
just go in, either they will plug it in, or they will hand it to you and tell you to do it. the scanners they use are super easy and will walk you through it. i just did this today and it took me longer to walk form my truck into the store, get the scanner and walk back then it did to read the code. it si also free at advanced auto, while ive heard rumors that some shops will charge you.
__________________
clinging on to sanity, one motorcycle at a time.
schnutzy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2011, 03:34 AM   #8
Newb
 
Saffer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
Hi Thanks for your help I have reposted in TJ section
Saffer73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2011, 03:37 AM   #9
Newb
 
Saffer73's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5
PS, I am unfortunatelu in Ireland in Europe, no Autozone and no diagnostic within 150 miles from me that is why I have turned to the forum. Thanks for all the replies they have been very helpful!!
Saffer73 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2011, 09:13 AM   #10
Just a kid at heart...

WF Supporting Member
 
seadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Almost where I belong...
Posts: 14,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saffer73 View Post
PS, I am unfortunatelu in Ireland in Europe, no Autozone and no diagnostic within 150 miles from me that is why I have turned to the forum. Thanks for all the replies they have been very helpful!!
Post this on the TJ forum. There is a key sequence that will make the check engine light flash the code. You count the flashes and that's your code. We can figure it out from there.
__________________
Brian



I tried to be good, but I got bored...
seadog is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 07-31-2011, 10:36 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
RockyWrangler98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 8,127
Quote:
Originally Posted by seadog

Post this on the TJ forum. There is a key sequence that will make the check engine light flash the code. You count the flashes and that's your code. We can figure it out from there.
98's don't have this. Sorry Seadog. Lol
__________________
"Why do you drive something like that?" ...To which I reply: "To make people like you ask questions like that."
RockyWrangler98 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 08-01-2011, 12:40 AM   #12
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: somewhere....
Posts: 11,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnutzy View Post
doesnt matter what they know if you are just looking for codes.
just go in, either they will plug it in, or they will hand it to you and tell you to do it. the scanners they use are super easy and will walk you through it. i just did this today and it took me longer to walk form my truck into the store, get the scanner and walk back then it did to read the code. it si also free at advanced auto, while ive heard rumors that some shops will charge you.
hmm. yeh some will. around here some of the auto parts places charge..

redjeeper is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Tags
2.5 petrol , 98 jeep wrangler , check engine light , misfires

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Check Engine Light - Emissions jloesche TJ General Discussion Forum 18 07-12-2011 04:11 PM
Check Engine Light-99 Wrangler 4 cly jsa2000 TJ General Discussion Forum 0 06-05-2011 10:46 AM
Cherokee Master Clutch Kits - Free Shipping! AOR Vendor Spotlight! Great Deals for Members. 0 04-25-2011 10:35 AM
02 Jeep Wrangler... Misfires, P-0300, Reset Engine Light, Runs Fine, Repeat... sdh796 TJ General Discussion Forum 2 03-31-2011 12:01 PM
91 Wrangler YJ/S Check Engine Light stevek YJ Tech Forum 3 12-30-2009 03:56 PM



» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC