Here is a toy I made for my grandson some years back....reason I am posting is the method I used to make the tires and wheels.....
Those wheels look great. Looks like the same method that I used on the Hummer. About a 30 degree angle on the miter fence and then made cuts at equal degree intervals around the sections. Laminated them together with a 1/4" spacer in between and viola!! Nicely done. I love that toy.
Well, I had a pretty good day in the shop and made some pretty good progress on the Jeep. The parts that I got finished were......the hitch, the rear bumper extensions, the headlights, the signal lights, the "axles", the steering wheel and the windshield latches. That was 8 hours. I had to make 4 steering wheels because I broke 3. I had to do the spokes in the steering wheel 4 times because I just wasn't happy with them. I don't know why, but I decided to turn the headlights on the lathe. That was kind of fun actually.
The good news, is that if everything goes the way that I want it to, I will be able to play in my shop again tomorrow.
Do you intend to paint, stain or clear this when done?
btw, this is impressive. Working on such small parts takes a certain type of patience. And yet, doing it well is a whole 'nother level.
Thanks for the compliment. I can't say with the utmost certainty that I will not be painting it. Wood and paint just don't mix in my opinion. I also don't use stain. I prefer the natural colour of the wood, but I may put a clear coat on it to bring out the woods grains.
I'll be heading out today to work on it some more.
Another day in the shop today. This is the first weekend in a long time that I have gotten the entire weekend out there. Lately it's only been one day out of two but I got lucky this weekend. I started of the day with some silly lathe work, making the drive shafts. I made two of them and installed them between the transfer case and the differentials. I then worked on the exhaust, which was a pain in the butt, because I didn't have any of the dowel size that I needed, so I had to make some 3/16" dowel before I could make the exhaust. Then I worked on the seat for the interior.....which are a bit of a pain due to the angle of the back of the seats. I also ended up making the cushions for all the seats and installing them all in the Jeep. I also cut and installed the hood stops........and that, was the entire day.
I don't even know if this update is worth posting. I spend 7 hours in the shop today and pretty much got next to nothing done. I made a jerry can and a short while later, ruined it. It took some time to make the first because I had to make routing templates and do some test cuts. Either way, I ended up making another one, but I'm not sure if I'm happy with it either. It's on the Jeep for now. I also made the rack for the jerry can. This took several tries as well because I couldn't get it out of my head that I wanted to do it by routing free hand. I wasn't going to give up, and after ruining a couple of them, I succeeded in making one and installing it. I then made the axe for the side of the Jeep. I was actually happy with the first one I made so I kept it. My luck was not to continue though because I hated the first shovel I made and ended up having to make a second, which I'm happy with. I'm thinking that I'm going to make a new jerry can, but just not right now. Maybe a little later in the build. Thanks for looking in. 7 hours to make a jerry can, the jerry can rack, an axe and a shovel. This is definitely not a hobby for the impatient.
How about ebony for the tires? I comend you on not liking stain! Agreed.
Good call on the ebony but a little on the pricey side. I'm actually going with walnut. I cut the tires on Sunday, but I still have the treads to rout in the tires. Hoping to have that done this coming weekend.
After 3 full days of work on the tires, I was able to get all 7 tires made and test fit on the Jeep. I still have to make the rims, and I will be starting those tomorrow. Here's how the Jeep looks now. Hope you guys are enjoying this build.
Spent another day in the shop working on the model. Had a few failures making some parts and decided that I'm going to have to change my method of making them. They are just too small and keep blowing apart. I also got all of the rims turned. I'm not a production turner and my turning skill is mediocre at best so I was pretty pleased with the outcome......although it did take me most of the day. There is still more to do to these tires believe it or not, but that will have to wait until next week. I'm really going to have to think about how I'm going to make the smaller parts. I have a 4 days to figure it out.