A Wooden Jeep - Page 3 - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Discussion Forums > Off-Topic

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 02-19-2014, 09:43 PM   #61
Jeeper
 
stangmata's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Spokane, WA
Posts: 523
The patients required hurts my head. Well done.

__________________
Ian
05 Rubicon Unlimited Sahara #362 | 3" susp lift | 285/75-16 | Currie Antirock | Hanson bumpers | PIAA Lights | Smittybuilt sliders | Bazooka sub | JKS Track bar | Cheap-o winch | MCAI | SOLID diff covers | ORO LiteDots
stangmata is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 06:06 PM   #62
Jeeper
 
OLLLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 174
You guys are way too kind. Thanks very much for the compliments, they are very appreciated. There is still a lot of stuff to do on this build and I am far from done, so hang in there guys.........more to come.

OLLLO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 06:31 PM   #63
Jeeper
 
k.j.b.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: offutt afb, ne
Posts: 200
Hey I like the idea of this build I just wish I had the skill and time to do it myself
k.j.b. is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #64
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 78
You are getting me inspired...

...it would be great if you were to show a bit of detail in the woodworking steps, unless of course they are secret or proprietary ;-)
blw2000 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 08:22 PM   #65
Jeeper
 
Canesfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SWFL
Posts: 340
It's funny, I've started looking forward to OLLLO's updates on the weekends like I look forward to a favorite tv show. By the way, I call dibs if this ever goes up for sale. Yes, I do realize that it'll probably be in OLLLOs family for generations, but, for the record and just in case....I did call dibs first.
__________________
I modify my Jeep with one basic rule in mind - that it suit my needs.
Canesfan is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 10:04 PM   #66
Jeeper
 
OLLLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by blw2000 View Post
...it would be great if you were to show a bit of detail in the woodworking steps, unless of course they are secret or proprietary ;-)
There are no secrets here. I just do what I do. I haven't been showing any of the progress pictures because I didn't want to bore anyone. I wasn't even sure if anyone was going to like this build.....you know.....no plastidip.
I have a youtube woodworking channel and I've filmed the process of making the tires. Once the editing is done, the video should be posted in a couple of weeks. I will be sure to post a link when that is completed.
I also see that my pic limit is pretty much reached. What happens when I reach that limit?
I guess we will find out.
I'm kind of torn between working on the wooden jeep and installing my Spod this weekend. I'm hoping for a combination of both.
OLLLO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-20-2014, 11:39 PM   #67
Jeeper
 
CarolinaBound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Home in Langhorne, PA and school at ECU
Posts: 1,155
Images: 6
Might have to end up going through a hosting site. I use imgur, works like a charm.
__________________
Poverty/College Budget 2004 TJ BB, 1.25" BL, MML, JK shocks, 31x10.5 AT2's

If it can't be fixed with squats or fish oil...your probably gonna die (u aware?)
CarolinaBound is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2014, 05:24 AM   #68
Jeeper
 
OLLLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBound View Post
Might have to end up going through a hosting site. I use imgur, works like a charm.
I have a photo bucket account but never use it. I might have to go that route.
OLLLO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-21-2014, 08:57 AM   #69
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
samnmax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Kansas
Posts: 109
Looks like this thing will be done in time for the BSA Pinewood Derby! Seriously, this is killer....
__________________
For every action, there is an equal and opposite government program.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

2003 TJ Sahara with 31" Dunflop Mud Rovers, Ford 8.8 Rear diff in progress, 3.5" DPG Ultimate Lift in progress, ARB rear locker in progress.
samnmax is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-22-2014, 02:42 PM   #70
Jeeper
 
OLLLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 174






Opted to skip the shop today and get my spod put in. Happy with the way it looks. Looking forward to getting my off road lights on soon. Just need some warmer weather.
OLLLO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #71
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
bostiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Coaster Guy, Ma
Posts: 826
Olllo,
I think you have created such a following with this build, you may need to raffle that thing off.
Pick a charity, we'll all buy $5 raffle tickets and hold out until you get at least a 100 tickets sold...
You don't mind if I plan what you do with your own build do you??? lol..


btw, what's this actual Jeep mod doing in this thread? We come here for the woodie..lol But it all looks great, keep up the good work! And thanks for being a good sport..
__________________
Click link to check out my Jeep drink coasters

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f37/jee...rs-517633.html
bostiguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2014, 07:57 AM   #72
Jeeper
 
OLLLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostiguy View Post
Olllo,
I think you have created such a following with this build, you may need to raffle that thing off.
Pick a charity, we'll all buy $5 raffle tickets and hold out until you get at least a 100 tickets sold...
You don't mind if I plan what you do with your own build do you??? lol..


btw, what's this actual Jeep mod doing in this thread? We come here for the woodie..lol But it all looks great, keep up the good work! And thanks for being a good sport..


An actual Jeep mod?!?!?!?! Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Sorry about that. I just didn't want you guys following this thread to think I was slacking off on the build. And I wanted to avoid the old "No pics, didn't happen" comments. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
Either way, I'm back to the Jeep (wooden) build this morning but I'm not sure if I am going to have anything to post tonight. I'm at a difficult part in the build and I've already busted 2 of the parts trying to make them. I'm going to have to rethink my way of doing it for today.
Wish me luck.
OLLLO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2014, 06:30 PM   #73
Jeeper
 
OLLLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 174
I spent just over 5 hours today drilling out the hubs for the tires. I had a ton of broken ones and wasted ones that didn't centre properly but in the end, I ended up with 7 that I likes. I got them all mounted and the tires permanently installed on the Jeep. I also managed to make the spare tire holder and get that mounted along with the driver's front fender black out light. Even though it doesn't look like much, this was a pretty productive day in the shop.





OLLLO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #74
G54
out there

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,529
Images: 5
I just found this thread. Wow! Absolutely amazing work!! I love it and you picked the perfect model Jeep to make too. I recently built a plastic Willys from a 1/35 Tamiya kit. I know what you mean about small parts. It came out ok but doesnt even compare to the handmade beauty of this model. What is the overall length of it?
G54 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #75
Jeeper
 
OLLLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus54 View Post
I just found this thread. Wow! Absolutely amazing work!! I love it and you picked the perfect model Jeep to make too. I recently built a plastic Willys from a 1/35 Tamiya kit. I know what you mean about small parts. It came out ok but doesnt even compare to the handmade beauty of this model. What is the overall length of it?
I'm not 100% sure of the overall length. I will be sure to measure it when I visit the shop again to work on it. I still have quite a bit to do on this one. To give you some idea of the sizes of handmade parts that I was dealing with today, this is one of the lugs for the hubs that I finished today in the shop. A man could go blind looking at small stuff like this.
Thanks for the kind words.

OLLLO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-23-2014, 07:22 PM   #76
G54
out there

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 13,529
Images: 5
Haha I hear ya! Heres a similar pic of one of the grab bars. Good luck making these!

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140223_202109.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	107.1 KB
ID:	800649
G54 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 12:36 AM   #77
Jeeper
 
fatmanny1901's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Pambrun, SK
Posts: 1,057
Images: 1
This is super cool. Well done!
fatmanny1901 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 10:35 AM   #78
Jeeper
 
Captain Ahab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 551
Images: 1
I'm currently working on a 1/25 CJ6 in plastic....since there are none manufactured that I know of, it is requiring a LOT of work. But still not as much as this woodie...tiny parts get lost way too easy!
OLLLO, any idea what type of finish you will use?
__________________
'08 JKX + a few mods!
rear seat reversal mod CLICK HERE!
Captain Ahab is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #79
Jeeper
 
plum70crazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 44
This is one of the coolest things that I have seen on the forum.

Kudos!!!
plum70crazy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 11:41 AM   #80
Jeeper
 
Rusty Pancelode's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by plum70crazy View Post
This is one of the coolest things that I have seen on the forum.

Kudos!!!
+1 on that.

It's coming along great!
I thought I had some passable woodworking skills until I saw this thread.
Now I feel more like a chimpanzee with a hammer... and sound like one too!
LOL
Rusty Pancelode is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 04:10 PM   #81
Jeeper
 
OLLLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ahab View Post
I'm currently working on a 1/25 CJ6 in plastic....since there are none manufactured that I know of, it is requiring a LOT of work. But still not as much as this woodie...tiny parts get lost way too easy!
OLLLO, any idea what type of finish you will use?
If I put any finish on it at all, it will be a clear coat. I'm not a fan of staining wood and prefer to leave wood natural. I clear coat would darker the wood a little and protect it from soaking in any moisture over the years.

Quote:
This is one of the coolest things that I have seen on the forum.
Thanks very much. That extremely flattering considering some of the cool things that I have been seeing on this forum.


Quote:
I thought I had some passable woodworking skills until I saw this thread.
Now I feel more like a chimpanzee with a hammer... and sound like one too!
LOL
Don't beat yourself too badly over woodworking skill. I've been doing this for almost 36 years. I started when I was 10 and although I didn't do things like this in my early woodworking years, I've gained a massive amount of patience to see a project through. Sometimes, that's all it take to be a great woodworker. Don't cut corners, don't take chances, and remember that it gets done, when it gets done.

Thanks again for the kind words guys. There is still more to come on this build and I'm hoping for some good progress in the shop this coming weekend.
OLLLO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 04:25 PM   #82
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Minden, NV
Posts: 315
My good sir, you are an amazing craftsman!! Very impressive to say the least!

As my name probably suggests, I'm a dentist. I have been playing around with my crown CAD/CAM machine to mill out a porcelain Jeep but no success yet, they all start to chip and crack during milling because of the intricate detail. Your woodwork puts my porcelain work to shame...
__________________
2012 JKUR Flame Red. 4.10s, AEV 2.5 Lift, Metalcloak CAs and trackbar, ARB diff covers and JKS end links
GCDMD is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 07:41 PM   #83
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
bostiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Coaster Guy, Ma
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLLLO View Post

Holy crap! You're married! I would have bet my life a guy spending this much time in his shop doing nothing "productive" would be single and no kids...

I need to edit this to be sure OLLLO understands I am kidding here. What he is doing is incredible and I believe he knows I feel that way but there was another member here upset at what I wrote in this post.
Sorry to offend anyone..

ps, I'm married with a daughter.
__________________
Click link to check out my Jeep drink coasters

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f37/jee...rs-517633.html
bostiguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 09:18 PM   #84
Jeeper
 
OLLLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostiguy View Post
Holy crap! You're married! I would have bet my life a guy spending this much time in his shop doing nothing "productive" would be single and no kids...

I need to edit this to be sure OLLLO understands I am kidding here. What he is doing is incredible and I believe he knows I feel that way but there was another member here upset at what I wrote in this post.
Sorry to offend anyone..

ps, I'm married with a daughter.

Upset?!?!?!?! Hell no. That, right there, is funny. I work 50+ hours a week at my regular job to support my family. I have been married for over 21 years and have 2 daughters, ages 20 and 16.
I'm lucky enough to have a wife that supports my hobby and never complains when I spend my entire weekend in my shop. I spend the days making sawdust and the evenings with my wife. It's a great arrangement. Besides, if I'm in the shop, she doesn't have to entertain me. And when I'm in my shop, I get to do what guys do best.......be a guy.

As far as "productive" goes..........it keeps me sane and that's pretty productive. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.
No offence taken, as I'm sure there was none meant. I still think it's funny.
OLLLO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-26-2014, 09:44 PM   #85
Jeeper
 
IcarusLSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 617
Your work is amazing. What type of tools do you use for making stuff this small? It's gotta be time consuming! Does it take numerous tries for pieces/do they break crack at all? I am patient doing finiky work, but that seems like it'd drive me crazy trying to get it right! Nice
__________________
Ϣr
IcarusLSC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2014, 05:32 AM   #86
Jeeper
 
OLLLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcarusLSC View Post
Your work is amazing. What type of tools do you use for making stuff this small? It's gotta be time consuming! Does it take numerous tries for pieces/do they break crack at all? I am patient doing finiky work, but that seems like it'd drive me crazy trying to get it right! Nice
I break pieces constantly and then have to remake them. On this particular one, I made the jerry can 5 times before I got a useable one. The list of tools is extensive. Table saw, jointer planer, drill press, thickness planer, band saw, wood lathe, scroll saw, router, router table, sanders, and a whole host of hand tools like chisels, files, scrapers and let's not forget the tweezers.
I keep a running log on how much time is spent on each build, that way, if someone really has money burning a hole in there pocket, I know what to charge IF I were to sell a piece. I'm not sure how many hours I have banked on this one. I will have to check on the weekend.
Thanks for following along and thanks for the kind words.
OLLLO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #87
Jeeper
 
Captain Ahab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Iowa
Posts: 551
Images: 1
OLLLO, my reason for asking the finish was more about which type. I hate water based finishes, but they are really good at NOT darkening the wood. That being said, I use lacquer on 75% of my work; it's just so easy to shoot on and drys fast. I would be very nervous just leaving it raw...it will soak up all sorts of dirt and oils, not to mention the expansion/contraction with humidity levels.
__________________
'08 JKX + a few mods!
rear seat reversal mod CLICK HERE!
Captain Ahab is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #88
Commercial Member

WF Supporting Member
 
bostiguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Coaster Guy, Ma
Posts: 826
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLLLO View Post
I break pieces constantly and then have to remake them. On this particular one, I made the jerry can 5 times before I got a useable one. The list of tools is extensive. Table saw, jointer planer, drill press, thickness planer, band saw, wood lathe, scroll saw, router, router table, sanders, and a whole host of hand tools like chisels, files, scrapers and let's not forget the tweezers.
I keep a running log on how much time is spent on each build, that way, if someone really has money burning a hole in there pocket, I know what to charge IF I were to sell a piece. I'm not sure how many hours I have banked on this one. I will have to check on the weekend.
Thanks for following along and thanks for the kind words.
First, thanks for the support OLLLO.
Now, you can't tell me you don't have one of these. Either that or you have bionic vision.

__________________
Click link to check out my Jeep drink coasters

http://www.wranglerforum.com/f37/jee...rs-517633.html
bostiguy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #89
Jeeper
 
OLLLO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostiguy View Post
First, thanks for the support OLLLO.
Now, you can't tell me you don't have one of these. Either that or you have bionic vision.

I do have a magnifier, but I only really use it when I'm working on a cutting on the scroll saw. When I'm doing fretwork pieces, the magnifier really helps to see what I'm cutting. Here's an example of one of my cuttings so you can understand the magnifier requirement. Each dark area in the picture is an actual hole that has been cut out of the piece of oak to eventually form a picture. The oak is 1/4" thick and is very prone to breakage. The strings on the violin will actually move if you blow on them, they are that thin and fragile.


Quote:
OLLLO, my reason for asking the finish was more about which type. I hate water based finishes, but they are really good at NOT darkening the wood. That being said, I use lacquer on 75% of my work; it's just so easy to shoot on and drys fast. I would be very nervous just leaving it raw...it will soak up all sorts of dirt and oils, not to mention the expansion/contraction with humidity levels.
This particular piece will most like receive a clear coat. I agree with the expansion/contraction issues and the need to keep it clean. I'm not a fan of water base coatings either, as the tend to swell the grain too much upon application. I usually spray these ones, but considering that the only heat source in my shop is a wood stove, I'm not a fan of spraying explosives while the "heat" is on. I have to wait until the warmer weather to spray my projects like this. I'll be sure to post what I decide on for the coating and post an updated photo when it is complete. For now though, I will just concentrate on building the model.
OLLLO is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 02-27-2014, 10:55 PM   #90
Jeeper
 
IcarusLSC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 617
I still don't know how ya do it with pieces that small! I'd lose the ends of my fingers for sure using one of those machines and stuff that small, lol. Amazing work

__________________
Ϣr
IcarusLSC is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:03 PM.



Jeep, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC