EF5 Tornado wiping out Oklahoma - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Discussion Forums > Off-Topic

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 05-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix, Rattlesnake Country
Posts: 3,505
EF5 Tornado wiping out Oklahoma

It's breaking news on all of the stations.
EF5, 2 miles wide and has stayed on the ground for approx. 45 minutes.
They are saying that this maybe the worst Tornado ever recorded.

YES, THIS IS ONLY RELATED TO OUR WRANGLERS IF WE ARE DRIVING INTO IT.

Old Dogger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Hokieneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wild and Wonderful WV
Posts: 902
My prayers go out to everyone in that area I can't even imagine, stay safe!

__________________
The woods are lovely, dark, and deep, but I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep, and miles to go before I sleep.
-Robert Frost
Hokieneer is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: In The Hot South West AZ, and cold Alaska
Posts: 1,034
I was just watching it in Fox News, it has to be the worst that I have ever seen. I was in a tornado many years ago, but nothing like what they are showing!

I wonder if we have any Forum Members, that live in this dangerous storm area?
Miser is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Abnormal-JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Boondocks Michigan
Posts: 420
Prayers going up~
__________________
Mark

Every road leads somewhere...

ThumbJeeps

Abnormal-JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 04:40 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 325
Holy crap, on the ground for an hour almost a mile wide. Unbelievable.
Billy Baldone is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
DFW6ER's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: FloMo
Posts: 847
Just read it hit an elementary school. In Moore, which is where that May 4th tornado hit back in the late 90s
__________________
2012 Black JKUR...stock for now
DFW6ER is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 05:01 PM   #7
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Thorshammer7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Lakeland Florida
Posts: 897
Prayers sent.
__________________
2009 JKUX {SOLD}
2013 JK Triple Black 6 Speed
JKS Disconnects
Cooper Discovery STT 35x12.5x17 on MB TKO 17X8.5
Thorshammer7 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,921
<--- Oklahoma
__________________
2013 Commando Green Freedom Edition JKU
2013 Billet Freedom Edition JK
legitposter is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Abnormal-JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Boondocks Michigan
Posts: 420
They just reported it at 190 MPH... holy *&^%
__________________
Mark

Every road leads somewhere...

ThumbJeeps

Abnormal-JK is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
laollis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Twin Falls
Posts: 613
Sad. Still pulling kids out.
__________________
OlllllllO Another Day in Paradise with my Gecko!

One Life. Live It.
laollis is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
Senior Chief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: A Secure, Undisclosed Area
Posts: 2,794
Damn
Senior Chief is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
BlueRidgeYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,917
Absolutely devastating; I've never heard of a tornado so fierce.

God be with Oklahoma, all her children, and all who respond to help.
__________________
“Coming of age in a fascist police state will not be a barrel of fun for anybody, much less for people like me, who are not inclined to suffer Nazis gladly and feel only contempt for the cowardly flag-suckers who would gladly give up their outdated freedom to live for the mess of pottage they have been conned into believing will be freedom from fear.”
BlueRidgeYJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Carlsbad0331's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 571
A group from San Diego associated with "Team Amber Rescue" is headed out tomorrow with cadaver dogs... Im on the second string list of volunteers to go. They have already categorized most of the area as Search and Recovery...
Carlsbad0331 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 08:38 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
06 Red Rubicon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Richardson, Texas
Posts: 60
I bought my 06 in Moore about 3 years ago I hope the fatality rate stops and the good news starts increasing
__________________
2013 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed
True blue on black hardtop
2012 Rubicon 2dr
Flame red on black hardtop-(sold)
2006 Rubicon 2dr
Flame red on black softtop-(sold)
06 Red Rubicon is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 08:45 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
Old Dogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix, Rattlesnake Country
Posts: 3,505
The latest death toll is 56, of which 24 were children! Another two dozen children are still missing.
All we can do is pray for them and their families!

To put it into perspective, they all got up this morning, just like we did. They planned their day, and now they are all gone! There are no guarantee's in life! What's even sadder is that the children were just starting their lives....
Old Dogger is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 308
So tragic...thoughts and prayers to those in OK.....can't even imagine winds of that power and devastation.
Pennsyman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-20-2013, 09:31 PM   #17
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
jeepers29's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Georgetown, Texas
Posts: 2,834
All of you in OK, and family friends of those affected, we are thinking about you here in Texas.
jeepers29 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2013, 03:50 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Lusus_Naturae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: OKC, missing WI
Posts: 2,131
Here's my thread to add to this - Thank you all Oklahoma Jeepers working tornado damage.

I usually work nights so I can't sleep even if I want to. I will be going out again later today too. We still have search and rescue finishing Plaza Tower school, last I heard, they are going to continue to work it until they have everyone accounted for. There's just so much, and so little at the same time.

A lot of the clean up/search efforts are on hold until sunrise again. It's a mess, there's so much debris and little stuff everywhere. The amount of stuff you have to drive over to get anywhere.

Don't get hung up on death counts yet, they are going to go up and down for the next few days until it gets sorted out. There are a lot though, right now they are confirming 51 dead, of those dead, 20 are children. There have been 45 children transported to hospitals with injuries. They were saying they expected 40 more to be added to the dead count soon, I don't know who or where these people came from, it was called in as we were leaving the Home Depot in Moore.

Home Depot has been made into it's own city down there. They had the generators running, and a food truck was cooking for search and rescue, volunteers, etc. There is a lot of people out helping, and they are switching them out in shifts - one reason we came home. The worst area is from the Orr Family Farm - it's a teaching farm or exploration farm for families - to the Warren Theatre. Tower Plaza School is between here too.

Lots and lots of military are out there too - too many to name, from all branches. Many fire departments are out there, police, search and rescue teams - again, too many to name but I saw people form near and far - the furthest was Altus.

If you want to help, please find a reputable charity to donate to. If you are local to OKC - News 9 is taking donations of any type, food, water, supplies, at their station on north Britton. For info - Oklahoma's Own - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

I want to go to sleep for a few hours but I just can't sleep now. I guess I'm going to repack my gear and get ready for daylight.
__________________
2013 JKU Sport, billet, auto, 3.73, LSD, 315/75/16 Duratracs on MB 72, 10A springs, Bushwacker flatties

Sold - 2005 TJ, red, auto, 3.73, 33" Duratracs, 4" lift
Ice storm casualty in 2007 - 2003 TJ, green, auto, 3.73, 33" Duratracs, 4" lift
Lusus_Naturae is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
Lusus_Naturae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: OKC, missing WI
Posts: 2,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW6ER View Post
Just read it hit an elementary school. In Moore, which is where that May 4th tornado hit back in the late 90s
May 3, 1999 - this one is looking worse, it was wider on the ground.
__________________
2013 JKU Sport, billet, auto, 3.73, LSD, 315/75/16 Duratracs on MB 72, 10A springs, Bushwacker flatties

Sold - 2005 TJ, red, auto, 3.73, 33" Duratracs, 4" lift
Ice storm casualty in 2007 - 2003 TJ, green, auto, 3.73, 33" Duratracs, 4" lift
Lusus_Naturae is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: In The Hot South West AZ, and cold Alaska
Posts: 1,034
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusus_Naturae View Post
Here's my thread to add to this - Thank you all Oklahoma Jeepers working tornado damage.

I usually work nights so I can't sleep even if I want to. I will be going out again later today too. We still have search and rescue finishing Plaza Tower school, last I heard, they are going to continue to work it until they have everyone accounted for. There's just so much, and so little at the same time.

A lot of the clean up/search efforts are on hold until sunrise again. It's a mess, there's so much debris and little stuff everywhere. The amount of stuff you have to drive over to get anywhere.

Don't get hung up on death counts yet, they are going to go up and down for the next few days until it gets sorted out. There are a lot though, right now they are confirming 51 dead, of those dead, 20 are children. There have been 45 children transported to hospitals with injuries. They were saying they expected 40 more to be added to the dead count soon, I don't know who or where these people came from, it was called in as we were leaving the Home Depot in Moore.

Home Depot has been made into it's own city down there. They had the generators running, and a food truck was cooking for search and rescue, volunteers, etc. There is a lot of people out helping, and they are switching them out in shifts - one reason we came home. The worst area is from the Orr Family Farm - it's a teaching farm or exploration farm for families - to the Warren Theatre. Tower Plaza School is between here too.

Lots and lots of military are out there too - too many to name, from all branches. Many fire departments are out there, police, search and rescue teams - again, too many to name but I saw people form near and far - the furthest was Altus.

If you want to help, please find a reputable charity to donate to. If you are local to OKC - News 9 is taking donations of any type, food, water, supplies, at their station on north Britton. For info - Oklahoma's Own - News9.com - Oklahoma City, OK - News, Weather, Video and Sports |

I want to go to sleep for a few hours but I just can't sleep now. I guess I'm going to repack my gear and get ready for daylight.
Thank you for the update?
Miser is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2013, 05:19 PM   #21
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,917
Are storms of this magnitude becoming more common or what??
1jeeplvr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
dylan1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Wichita Falls,Texas
Posts: 334
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr View Post
Are storms of this magnitude becoming more common or what??


Definitely not. However there have been quite a few EF5's the last few years. There has always been tornado this strong. As cities and towns continue to expand the targets get bigger and easier for a tornado to hit. It also seems worse because there was an idled drought of EF5 tornadoes between the Greensburg, KS tornado in 2007 and the Joplin tornado in 2011. If I recall corectly, the last EF5 before the 2007 tornado was the OKC tornado of '99. So not more common. Just more area for them to hit. And the fact that there was a long drought of EF5's makes it seem like there's been an abnormal amount of them.
__________________


TEXAS PROUD!
dylan1991 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 05-21-2013, 08:36 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
BlueRidgeYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,917
The stories of the teachers at Plaza Towers Elememtary are simply amazing. They piled most of the students into bathrooms, then covered them with their own bodies. The roof was ripped off, and they held strong. The decision to not trust the hallway was a very good one.

Attachment 252060

3 students were found underneath a car, similar to the one above, in the hallway. Their teacher had them huddled underneath herself, allowing them all to survive.


Attachment 252068

She is Rhonda Crosswhite, one of the teachers at Plaza Towers that sheltered children in the bathroom. Starting salary of a teacher at Plaza Towers? 31,600$. Amazing.

__________________
“Coming of age in a fascist police state will not be a barrel of fun for anybody, much less for people like me, who are not inclined to suffer Nazis gladly and feel only contempt for the cowardly flag-suckers who would gladly give up their outdated freedom to live for the mess of pottage they have been conned into believing will be freedom from fear.”
BlueRidgeYJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC