Happy Birthday! - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Discussion Forums > Off-Topic

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-19-2013, 09:13 AM   #1
Jeeper
 
BlueRidgeYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,917
Robert E Lee was born on this day 206 years ago, Jan 19, 1807.
Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson was born Jan 21, 1824.
Dr Benjamin Franklin was born Jan 17, 1706.
Dr Martin Luther King, Jr was born Jan 15, 1929.

These men all did things to make our world a better place, and as such will live forever. Happy birthday gentlemen.

"If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing." Poor Richards Almanac

__________________
“Coming of age in a fascist police state will not be a barrel of fun for anybody, much less for people like me, who are not inclined to suffer Nazis gladly and feel only contempt for the cowardly flag-suckers who would gladly give up their outdated freedom to live for the mess of pottage they have been conned into believing will be freedom from fear.”
BlueRidgeYJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2013, 08:16 PM   #2
Jeeper

WF Supporting Member
 
chucky cheese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: We eat stuff outa ditches!
Posts: 3,691
Don't forget Elvis January 8. He made the world a better place by giving 100,000 impersonators jobs. Hubahubahuba.

__________________
It ain't easy being cheesy:

Sometimes I make decisions like famous people.
George Armstrong Custer "lets go over that hill, I think those are friendly indians!"

Titanic's Captain Smith "What icebergs? Full speed ahead!"
chucky cheese is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2013, 08:35 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
02 Apex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Carefree Highway
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucky cheese View Post
Don't forget Elvis January 8. He made the world a better place by giving 100,000 impersonators jobs. Hubahubahuba.
Ha, haaaa!! I saw one, this afternoon, riding a bike (without a helmet, as he should), in a light pink and teal outfit. Thing is, he was in the middle of nowhere, traveling West on AZ 174. Now, did I really see this? I'm pretty sure. Honestly, I wasn't drinking.

Anyway, he was really working those pedals.

B
02 Apex is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-19-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
02 Apex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Carefree Highway
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ View Post
Robert E Lee was born on this day 206 years ago, Jan 19, 1807.
Dr Martin Luther King, Jr was born Jan 15, 1929.

These men all did things to make our world a better place, and as such will live forever. Happy birthday gentlemen.
I smell irony, here. Really? You celebrate both in the same mention? Is this an oxymoronic appraisel? I'm curious how you compare MLK to REL. REL did..........

Hmpf.


B
02 Apex is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
BlueRidgeYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 Apex

I smell irony, here. Really? You celebrate both in the same mention? Is this an oxymoronic appraisel? I'm curious how you compare MLK to REL. REL did..........

Hmpf.

B
Lol, it seems you need a history lesson, bud.
__________________
“Coming of age in a fascist police state will not be a barrel of fun for anybody, much less for people like me, who are not inclined to suffer Nazis gladly and feel only contempt for the cowardly flag-suckers who would gladly give up their outdated freedom to live for the mess of pottage they have been conned into believing will be freedom from fear.”
BlueRidgeYJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #6
Jeeper
 
fan of fanboys's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Columbia, SC
Posts: 1,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ

Lol, it seems you need a history lesson, bud.
Do we blame him or the whitewashed public school system?
__________________
Can you believe how conceited I am??
fan of fanboys is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2013, 09:55 AM   #7
Jeeper
 
BlueRidgeYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by fan of fanboys

Do we blame him or the whitewashed public school system?
SO true. I wish history was taught, instead of the BS they feed ya.

(Like the fact Lincoln intentionally kept states in slavery so they would raise armies for the north, freed confederates from prison if they were from Kentucky for the same reason, Grant was a slave owner AFTER the war, the north refused to issue their 1 company of "negroes" SHOES, the south did not segregate their black soldiers - they fought alongside southern whites - the slave population of Atlanta went to attempt to stop the yankee invasion, the fact that MANY southern women were raped by yankees, our homes were looted, our heirlooms stolen, Fredricksburg was the first US city sacked by Americans but not the last, 450 women and children from my home town were sent via cattle car to PA as prisoners of war for sewing tents under a French flag, my home town was burned, etc, etc)

But then again, most people don't know that NYC was the 2nd largest slave owning city in the world for a very long time (behind Charleston).

If you think the War of Northern Aggression had anything to do with slavery, you've got some learning to do.

Further, General Lee (and Jackson) spent many years in the US Military, both having graduated West Point. The Harpers Ferry Rebellion? Yep, Robert Lee was dispatched by the War Dept of the United States to handle it, with Jacksons Co.
__________________
“Coming of age in a fascist police state will not be a barrel of fun for anybody, much less for people like me, who are not inclined to suffer Nazis gladly and feel only contempt for the cowardly flag-suckers who would gladly give up their outdated freedom to live for the mess of pottage they have been conned into believing will be freedom from fear.”
BlueRidgeYJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #8
Jeeper
 
02 Apex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Carefree Highway
Posts: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ View Post

SO true. I wish history was taught, instead of the BS they feed ya.

(Like the fact Lincoln intentionally kept states in slavery so they would raise armies for the north, freed confederates from prison if they were from Kentucky for the same reason, Grant was a slave owner AFTER the war, the north refused to issue their 1 company of "negroes" SHOES, the south did not segregate their black soldiers - they fought alongside southern whites - the slave population of Atlanta went to attempt to stop the yankee invasion, the fact that MANY southern women were raped by yankees, our homes were looted, our heirlooms stolen, Fredricksburg was the first US city sacked by Americans but not the last, 450 women and children from my home town were sent via cattle car to PA as prisoners of war for sewing tents under a French flag, my home town was burned, etc, etc)

But then again, most people don't know that NYC was the 2nd largest slave owning city in the world for a very long time (behind Charleston).

If you think the War of Northern Aggression had anything to do with slavery, you've got some learning to do.

Further, General Lee (and Jackson) spent many years in the US Military, both having graduated West Point. The Harpers Ferry Rebellion? Yep, Robert Lee was dispatched by the War Dept of the United States to handle it, with Jacksons Co.
All good info. Lee and Grant graduated WP together, which I also find interesting. My post was technically tongue in cheek, referring to Lee & King in the same context. Guess it flopped.

Lee's ancestor, Light Horse Harry was also a General, in the Revolutionary War. Got himself caught.

Guess I"ll go get me an educashun.
02 Apex is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
BlueRidgeYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,917
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 Apex

All good info. Lee and Grant graduated WP together, which I also find interesting. My post was technically tongue in cheek, referring to Lee & King in the same context. Guess it flopped.

Lee's ancestor, Light Horse Harry was also a General, in the Revolutionary War. Got himself caught.

Guess I"ll go get me an educashun.
Many confederate and yankee leaders had fought together in the mexican war, learned at WP, or otherwise served together. Some wrote (very sad) letters about wishing to have their wartime brothers over for a drink in camp, to relive their days together, though they were leading armies against each other by day. Many died in combat before being able to reunite with their friends. Had to be a tough thing to deal with I would think.

I dig, I just tend to get a bit defensive of generalizations about "Lee and slavery", so to speak.

Many places throughout the south still call monday Jackson-Lee-King day, as we can celebrate men on their achievements wihout allowing stigma to define the event. I appreciate not rewriting history or changing those sites we have dedicated already to honor newer achievments. We can find room for em all, eh?

As far as Lee/King, both men did what they believed was right, going against the popular movements and leading thousands of others to stand for what they believe in as well. Neither proclaimed violence to be a solution, and both sought the same thing - peace and stability in society.

I don't think either would be offended to mention they had birthdays and are both worthy of mention for their contributions to their fellow countrymen.

__________________
“Coming of age in a fascist police state will not be a barrel of fun for anybody, much less for people like me, who are not inclined to suffer Nazis gladly and feel only contempt for the cowardly flag-suckers who would gladly give up their outdated freedom to live for the mess of pottage they have been conned into believing will be freedom from fear.”
BlueRidgeYJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
02 Apex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Carefree Highway
Posts: 152
Well put and agree; sometimes my humor is just too dry, I suppose.

Interesting to know about the combined celebrated day. It wasn't till a few years ago (maybe longer, now), that some AZ cities bagan to recognize MLK day. WTF?

Anyway, all good. Actually just finished the section on the Mexican War, in Grant's personal memoirs. Very descriptive, yet only scratching the surface, as I'm sure the Civil War will make up the majority of his writing. Good stuff, history.

B
02 Apex is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-20-2013, 11:26 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
BlueRidgeYJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,917
Lol.

Crazy to know that about AZ. I never would've guessed.

Yes, Mexican War, thank you.

Interesting part (iirc) in his writings about his wife visiting in Va with him, bringing 2 servants. This was after the issuence on the Emancipation Proclamation (meaning by entering VA they were 'freed').

Yessir, I do love me some history. I am currently back on the Federalist/Anti-Federalist papers. Good stuff indeed.

__________________
“Coming of age in a fascist police state will not be a barrel of fun for anybody, much less for people like me, who are not inclined to suffer Nazis gladly and feel only contempt for the cowardly flag-suckers who would gladly give up their outdated freedom to live for the mess of pottage they have been conned into believing will be freedom from fear.”
BlueRidgeYJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:20 AM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC