How do you carry firearms in the Jeep? - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Discussion Forums > Off-Topic

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 09-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
dale914's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 59
How do you carry firearms in the Jeep?

I have seen some threads of people talking about never taking their Jeep out without a firearm on them, and I was just wondering if anybody ever leaves their weapons inside the Jeep. Where would you?
I'm not too confident in the security of the Jeep to ever leave one in there. The glove box and the center arm rest locks are both broken (which seems consistant on all Jeeps), but where would you stash a handgun? Or a rifle? I'm about to head out hunting and just planned on throwing it in the back, but I'm curious to know how others keep theirs.
Thanks!

__________________
Double-Aught 4.0 Sport

Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the LORD our God. Psalms 20:7
dale914 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 18
with my shotgun i tend to keep it in a takedown case that locks, and i usually chain it to the roll cage if i plan on going anywhere outside of the jeep without it. my jeeps been broken into way to many times. and as far a handgun goes, never leave it in the jeep, atleast thats how i see it

bigjosh is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
ncossey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Fort Smith, AR
Posts: 1,180
Buy an underseat metal lockbox, they aint breaking into that.
ncossey is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
I HAVE A BELLYBUTTON!

WF Supporting Member
 
cavediverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the grassy knoll...
Posts: 6,983
Most gunshops will have some sort of lockable, metal box that itself can be cable locked to a seat riser or your rollcage. They're usually under $50 and are great insurance if you HAVE to leave your weapon in your vehicle. Sometimes you do.
__________________
Americans sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do them harm...

Happiness is a Barrett M82A1 .50 caliber and a target at least a click out........

I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes, if you f**k with me, I'll kill you all.....
cavediverjc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
I HAVE A BELLYBUTTON!

WF Supporting Member
 
cavediverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the grassy knoll...
Posts: 6,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjosh View Post
with my shotgun i tend to keep it in a takedown case that locks, and i usually chain it to the roll cage if i plan on going anywhere outside of the jeep without it. my jeeps been broken into way to many times. and as far a handgun goes, never leave it in the jeep, atleast thats how i see it
Sometimes you have to. Can't go onto any school grounds with a weapon on you. Can't go into any state/federal gov't buildings with a firearm, etc. There are times when you simply CAN'T carry and you have to leave the weapon in the vehicle.
__________________
Americans sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do them harm...

Happiness is a Barrett M82A1 .50 caliber and a target at least a click out........

I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes, if you f**k with me, I'll kill you all.....
cavediverjc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2010, 02:22 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 315
Images: 3
On my hip !
XtrmTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2010, 02:25 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
uplifted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NY
Posts: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by XtrmTJ View Post
On my hip !
I second that...

If it's a situation where i know i can't carry then I usually leave the guns at home or locked it in the console but not before disassembling it for safety..
__________________
91 YJ, SBC V8, 5 speed, 8.8, 4" spring, SOA, 35" MT/R ............ Sadly I have sold my Jeep.
uplifted is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2010, 02:36 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
bobjenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,646
id say if you have no box, cant carry it. disasemble it and take a piece with you
bobjenkins is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2010, 02:56 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Macon, GA
Posts: 62

+1 that's what I have and it works great for handguns as well as my iPod and faceplate from the stereo.
svmtbman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
mrcarcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midland/Odessa, TX
Posts: 3,406
Tuffy center console...

I will be buying a bestop under seat box once it comes out. Geoff, it better not disappoint

I've apparently been under a rock, b/c I was 100% unaware that Tuffy had a box out already for under seat storage....but it says non flip forward seat, my seat flips forward....
__________________
I need another Jeep...I'm lurking here, waiting for a great deal.
mrcarcrazy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2010, 03:23 PM   #12
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 889
I initially purchased the bestop underseat box but sent it back after I received it becasue I did not like the construction. It looked like my 7 year old could open it up. The Tuffy box is extremely durable with anti pry mechanisms on the lock. It is more expensive than the besttop but you get what you pay for. I figure paying $50 more is better than someone stealing a deadly weapon that cost me $1200!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
Tuffy center console...

I will be buying a bestop under seat box once it comes out. Geoff, it better not disappoint
Boosta is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
WellsR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 625
Now I feel like I should carry a handgun with me everywhere lol. But I always have my butterfly knife on me, ALWAYS. And if I really cant take it with me I will leave it home but thats pretty rare
__________________
Red 92 YJ 2.5l, 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Authorities
WellsR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
mrcarcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midland/Odessa, TX
Posts: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by WellsR
Now I feel like I should carry a handgun with me everywhere lol. But I always have my butterfly knife on me, ALWAYS. And if I really cant take it with me I will leave it home but thats pretty rare
U know what they say "don't bring a knife to a gun fight"
I carry a pocket knife always. But it's more for utility. As I always seem to use it. It may be the eagle scout in me.
__________________
I need another Jeep...I'm lurking here, waiting for a great deal.
mrcarcrazy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2010, 10:16 PM   #15
Jeeper
 
WellsR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
U know what they say "don't bring a knife to a gun fight"
I carry a pocket knife always. But it's more for utility. As I always seem to use it. It may be the eagle scout in me.
Oh yea mines for utility mostly. Its gotten me out of a few bad situations though
__________________
Red 92 YJ 2.5l, 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Authorities
WellsR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-27-2010, 10:20 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
bobjenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
Tuffy center console...

I will be buying a bestop under seat box once it comes out. Geoff, it better not disappoint
tuffys has a box but its way too overprice, heck they have a box that is so small it will only fit a radio faceplate. and its 99 bucks.

Im also going to buy an underseat bestop box hopefully by then ill have a p99 to put in it
bobjenkins is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-28-2010, 05:39 AM   #17
I HAVE A BELLYBUTTON!

WF Supporting Member
 
cavediverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the grassy knoll...
Posts: 6,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
U know what they say "don't bring a knife to a gun fight"
I carry a pocket knife always. But it's more for utility. As I always seem to use it. It may be the eagle scout in me.
Trust me, with the proper training, you can do A LOT of damage with a knife, especially if your life is on the line. I always carry my blade. Everywhere.

I'd rather get accosted by a man with a gun than a man with a knife. There is a HUGE psychological boundary with a gun. People are more apt to "show" you a gun to get you to do what they want you to do, since they know you'll be scared and that they PROBABLY won't have to use it. Guns are easy to show to a human, but hard to shoot at a human. Knives are wicked instruments, and a man with a knife will often times use it.

Get the proper training. Know thy enemy.

That being said, I also carry a firearm. Never can be too prepared.
__________________
Americans sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do them harm...

Happiness is a Barrett M82A1 .50 caliber and a target at least a click out........

I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes, if you f**k with me, I'll kill you all.....
cavediverjc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-28-2010, 06:15 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
bwdenman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Oregon
Posts: 469
Images: 1
This should do the trick.
Attached Images
 
__________________
Don't follow me, you won't make it!
bwdenman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #19
Jeeper
 
mrcarcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midland/Odessa, TX
Posts: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavediverjc

Trust me, with the proper training, you can do A LOT of damage with a knife, especially if your life is on the line. I always carry my blade. Everywhere.

I'd rather get accosted by a man with a gun than a man with a knife. There is a HUGE psychological boundary with a gun. People are more apt to "show" you a gun to get you to do what they want you to do, since they know you'll be scared and that they PROBABLY won't have to use it. Guns are easy to show to a human, but hard to shoot at a human. Knives are wicked instruments, and a man with a knife will often times use it.

Get the proper training. Know thy enemy.

That being said, I also carry a firearm. Never can be too prepared.
This I can't argue. But I'll trust my gun skills to keep a knife yielded wacko far enough away to minimize the threat. To me the advantage with a gun is the distance factor. You shouldn't pull any weapon unless you are going to use it.

People who are trained with a knife can be quite terrifying.

My best anti-threat weapon is my mouth. I apparently have a way with words, kept me out of a lot of things.
__________________
I need another Jeep...I'm lurking here, waiting for a great deal.
mrcarcrazy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-28-2010, 08:31 AM   #20
Newb
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 2
I have a Tuffy Concealed Carry Underseat in both my "JK" and "TJ", but with that said; Where does everyone stow their weapon when driving? My Concealed Carry is a Glock 30 which stays on me, but if I'm open carrying I have a SA XD-45 which is not real comfortable sitting on my hip when driving. I've been trying to figure out a location to mount a holster, but haven't found an ideal location.
harve22 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #21
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: So Cal.
Posts: 1,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post

My best anti-threat weapon is my mouth. .
Always better to talk your way out of a gun fight than to shoot your way into one. Hope for peace, prepare for war. Never be unarmed.

Donn
__________________
My Jeep is NOT an suv and Your suv is NOT a Jeep
30-284 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-28-2010, 10:20 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 315
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavediverjc View Post
Trust me, with the proper training, you can do A LOT of damage with a knife, especially if your life is on the line. I always carry my blade. Everywhere.

I'd rather get accosted by a man with a gun than a man with a knife. There is a HUGE psychological boundary with a gun. People are more apt to "show" you a gun to get you to do what they want you to do, since they know you'll be scared and that they PROBABLY won't have to use it. Guns are easy to show to a human, but hard to shoot at a human. Knives are wicked instruments, and a man with a knife will often times use it.

Get the proper training. Know thy enemy.

That being said, I also carry a firearm. Never can be too prepared.
True there, Don't show up at a gun fight armed with only a knife !
XtrmTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
mrcarcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midland/Odessa, TX
Posts: 3,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by harve22 View Post
I have a Tuffy Concealed Carry Underseat in both my "JK" and "TJ", but with that said; Where does everyone stow their weapon when driving? My Concealed Carry is a Glock 30 which stays on me, but if I'm open carrying I have a SA XD-45 which is not real comfortable sitting on my hip when driving. I've been trying to figure out a location to mount a holster, but haven't found an ideal location.
get a smaller carry weapon

In TX we can't open carry, everything needs to be out of sight. so I keep a firearm in my tuffy console. (so when I'm in my jeep I have two firearms within arms reach.)
__________________
I need another Jeep...I'm lurking here, waiting for a great deal.
mrcarcrazy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-28-2010, 01:06 PM   #24
I HAVE A BELLYBUTTON!

WF Supporting Member
 
cavediverjc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: On the grassy knoll...
Posts: 6,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
get a smaller carry weapon

In TX we can't open carry, everything needs to be out of sight. so I keep a firearm in my tuffy console. (so when I'm in my jeep I have two firearms within arms reach.)
That's news. I figured Texas would be an open-carry state. Kansas is open-carry. And they just lowered their costs involved with applying for your CCH permit, so it's even cheaper now to get your concealed carry.

In Kansas, they don't care if you carry, but if you're going to conceal your weapon, you'd better have a CCH permit. Otherwise you're pretty much left alone.
__________________
Americans sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do them harm...

Happiness is a Barrett M82A1 .50 caliber and a target at least a click out........

I come in peace. I didn't bring artillery. But I'm pleading with you with tears in my eyes, if you f**k with me, I'll kill you all.....
cavediverjc is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-28-2010, 02:39 PM   #25
Jeeper
 
mrcarcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Midland/Odessa, TX
Posts: 3,406
yeah, its odd...you'd think Texas would be the most leaniant of any state (since we're all gun toting cowboys/rednecks)....but apparently we are more strict here than many states.
__________________
I need another Jeep...I'm lurking here, waiting for a great deal.
mrcarcrazy is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2010, 01:10 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
bobjenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrcarcrazy View Post
This I can't argue. But I'll trust my gun skills to keep a knife yielded wacko far enough away to minimize the threat. To me the advantage with a gun is the distance factor. You shouldn't pull any weapon unless you are going to use it.

People who are trained with a knife can be quite terrifying.

My best anti-threat weapon is my mouth. I apparently have a way with words, kept me out of a lot of things.
indeed

bobjenkins is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2010, 01:32 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
WellsR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 625
Im some what good with a knife. Really if you can pull of some sick moves with the butterfly it will keep people away it seems very intimadating. Its acctually helped me out yesterday. Some kid was talking trash and pulled out a switch blade so I pulled out my butterfly and scared his ass then afterwards I went home and did some off roading to calm down
__________________
Red 92 YJ 2.5l, 31x10.5x15 Goodyear Authorities
WellsR is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
saltwaterwop's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Central Fla
Posts: 300
5 D cell Mag-Light
saltwaterwop is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2010, 02:18 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
530ktm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 3,703
Images: 3
Out here in good old California you are not supposed to even have a BB gun up in the mountains, or so a ranger told me. I was with my young boy and took him jeeping with his BB gun and this is what the ranger told me. What a crock! I decide it best not to tell her I have my 357 in my center console. The only people allowed to carry guns out in this state are all the gang bangers and low lifes.
530ktm is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 09-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
bobjenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 3,646
Quote:
Originally Posted by 530ktm View Post
Out here in good old California you are not supposed to even have a BB gun up in the mountains, or so a ranger told me. I was with my young boy and took him jeeping with his BB gun and this is what the ranger told me. What a crock! I decide it best not to tell her I have my 357 in my center console. The only people allowed to carry guns out in this state are all the gang bangers and low lifes.
ouch its gunna suck when I move there. guess the beach and women level it out tho. if Im right arizona just passed a law this ytear. everyone can carry concealed without a permit

bobjenkins is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Jeep Wave Saint101 General Jeep Discussion 115 05-06-2011 06:45 PM
Biggest Jeep Freek Contest!!!! txoutdoorx4 Classifieds Archive 6 02-21-2011 10:48 AM
RECALL 2010 Dodge Nitro, Dodge Ram, Jeep Liberty and Jeep Wrangler PTaylor General Jeep Discussion 1 12-15-2010 07:06 PM
what Jeep NOT to buy? passingthrough General Jeep Discussion 9 07-31-2010 03:31 PM
History of the Jeep. George T. General Jeep Discussion 8 02-04-2009 01:03 AM


logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:04 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC