Invisible fence - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Discussion Forums > Off-Topic

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 12-01-2013, 10:28 AM   #1
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,981
Invisible fence

I am thinking about one for my German Shepard.I dont want something that will hurt him or cause problems.I have a house in a rural area.The street isnt very busy but if he sees something he runs into the road.I dont have many neighbors but the one has a small dod & If Hercules sees the owner walking the dog hes off.Any info would be great.

1jeeplvr is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #2
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 117
Hi


I also have 9 month old gsd. We are probably getting one in the spring. I have heard nothing but good things from people I know with them.

Striperri is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #3
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: oklahoma panhandle
Posts: 64
I've used an Inotek electronic fence for years. It's one of the more expensive fences with the lightning suppressor and battery backup. It surrounds roughly 2 acres, but could go bigger. It can also be used for multiple dogs. The collar is completely sealed, waterproof, and rechargeable. To charge it I just set it on top of the control box. It charges right thru the plastic. No need to take any batteries out. The controller even beeps every 90 days to remind me to charge it. I used a rented lawn edger to install the wire. Or a walk behind trencher would be even easier.

Make sure you buy the collar specified for big dogs. I think at the time, I bought the collar for a big and "stubborn" dog since a 90 lb Gordon Setter was using it. Now a Labrador retriever is contained with it. With proper training, neither dog would cross it unless they were in a car. And if you walk the dog at the park uptown, and they have flags out marking where they plan to dig, neither dog would ever go near the flags. I keep extra flags in my vehicle. Use them in front of my brother's backyard gate to keep the lab from jumping over it.

Believe all mine came from Petstreetmall.com. Always seem to have the best prices. Make sure to follow the installation instructions. Cross all buried electric and phone lines at a 90 degree angle or the fence won't work. Or the dog will be shocked when the landline phone rings!
panhandlr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-01-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oak Ridge,NC
Posts: 351
We also use an innotek system. We installed it ourselves in a few days. Just used an edger to cut a trench, laid the wire, and closed it back up with a rubber mallet. Ours works great with our lab and boxer. With a shepherd, make sure your collar probes are long enough to reach through the fur. Training is the key to success, don't skimp out or you may not be very happy with the outcome.
X50ARM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
Jeeper
 
RoadiJeff's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: St. Louis, MO
Posts: 2,300
When we were looking at getting an invisible fence back in 2000 we were told that if the urge is strong enough with the dog to chase whatever it is outside of the yard it will still go beyond the fence. Then you have a dog that won't go back into the yard.

Also, our yard is next to a common ground area where kids play. Before we moved in they were used to cutting across our yard. Our dog at the time wasn't very friendly toward strangers and I could just picture a kid running through the yard and the dog biting him.

We decided on installing a decorative vinyl fence. It works well except one mother raised a fit on our porch after it was put up because her kid could no longer cut through our yard and the community common ground looked a little smaller afterward.

On the invisible fence, I heard that some dogs will creep up to the border until just the warning buzzer on their collar goes off but not the shock. Then they lay there in the grass until the battery is drained, the collar stops buzzing and then they exit the yard.
RoadiJeff is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #6
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadiJeff View Post
When we were looking at getting an invisible fence back in 2000 we were told that if the urge is strong enough with the dog to chase whatever it is outside of the yard it will still go beyond the fence. Then you have a dog that won't go back into the yard.

Also, our yard is next to a common ground area where kids play. Before we moved in they were used to cutting across our yard. Our dog at the time wasn't very friendly toward strangers and I could just picture a kid running through the yard and the dog biting him.

We decided on installing a decorative vinyl fence. It works well except one mother raised a fit on our porch after it was put up because her kid could no longer cut through our yard and the community common ground looked a little smaller afterward.

On the invisible fence, I heard that some dogs will creep up to the border until just the warning buzzer on their collar goes off but not the shock. Then they lay there in the grass until the battery is drained, the collar stops buzzing and then they exit the yard.
My dog def isnt that smart lol
1jeeplvr is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 117
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr View Post

My dog def isnt that smart lol
Great looking gsd
Striperri is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperri View Post
Great looking gsd
Thanks.Hes 9 months & 72lbs.
1jeeplvr is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-02-2013, 08:30 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: central pa mountains
Posts: 654
I have had invisible fences at my last two properties. They work great. Just make sure during the installation they specify on your order how deep to bury the wire. Sometimes they go a little shallow, and if you ever aerate your yard you will be in for a supirse. If you specify you want 4" and you aerate 3" it will be on them to find the break and fix it if the wire is not deep enough. Didnt have that in my first install , but made sure it was in the second. You can guess why
__________________
I don't mind spending money, I mind wasting money
ztman is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-02-2013, 08:54 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 117
My 9 month old he left yesterday for boot camp for 2 weeks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-401277531.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	560850
Striperri is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-02-2013, 09:27 PM   #11
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperri View Post
My 9 month old he left yesterday for boot camp for 2 weeks.

Attachment 560850
I like his colors.Look at those ears!! There huge lol.
1jeeplvr is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #12
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Striperri View Post
My 9 month old he left yesterday for boot camp for 2 weeks.

Attachment 560850
What kind of boot camp is it? Ive never heard of that.
1jeeplvr is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 02:51 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
OhioLugg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 1,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr View Post
I am thinking about one for my German Shepard.I dont want something that will hurt him or cause problems.I have a house in a rural area.The street isnt very busy but if he sees something he runs into the road.I dont have many neighbors but the one has a small dod & If Hercules sees the owner walking the dog hes off.Any info would be great.
I have had invisible fence since 2000 now at a 3rd property. Have nothing but good things to say. No problems at all with 2 very diffrent dogs. Our dogs are outside only on invis fence all day while we are at work. Did the last reinatall myself. Its all good.
__________________
___________________________
95 YJ New project as of 8/13
Gone but not forgotten; 99 TJ, 4" lift, 01 XJ, 3" lift, 95 XJ, 3" lift, 81 CJ7 Laredo, 74 CJ5, 360V8
OhioLugg is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 03:08 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
NC Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,397
We use an invisible fence for our hard headed most stubborn Boxer dog we've ever had, (he's so hard headed, my wife takes lessons from him lol!)

It works great!!!
__________________
97 Jeep TJ, the only hole she can't climb out of is DEBT.




NC Bear is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 08:28 PM   #15
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bear View Post
We use an invisible fence for our hard headed most stubborn Boxer dog we've ever had, (he's so hard headed, my wife takes lessons from him lol!)

It works great!!!
Lol,sounds like my wife.
My one concern is I need it to also work for the end of my driveway.How will they put it the width of the driveway if it has to go underground?
1jeeplvr is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 08:43 PM   #16
Jeeper
 
SmugglersBlues's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: To close for criminals, too far away for victims.
Posts: 533
First off, what a beautiful dog. I have six dogs myself mostly rescues. I have the invisible fence as well as a physical fence. As someone said earlier if the urge is strong enough they can run through it. The collar will beep approximately five feet before it actual fence then it zapps them at the fence for approximately five feet after. once they are through this "zone" they cannot get back in. I still like the fence however my Rottie that I had did manage to run through it and unfortunately right infront of a delivery truck. She did not make it. I'm not trying to discourage you in anyway I still think it's a good product. Just be aware like anything else it's not 100%

Also some may say that it's cruel to zap the dog. I say it less than being hit by a car. I actually put one of the collars around my arm and zapped myself before I would do it to my dogs. (I also volunteed to be tazed so maybe i have issue).
__________________
I would take an unpleasant truth over a comfortable false hood. You learn nothing from lies, whether someone else is telling them to you, or you are telling them to yourself.

- Me (sometimes I'm pretty deep)
SmugglersBlues is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #17
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Oak Ridge,NC
Posts: 351
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr View Post
Lol,sounds like my wife.
My one concern is I need it to also work for the end of my driveway.How will they put it the width of the driveway if it has to go underground?
I ran mine across an expansion joint near the end of the driveway and then filled over it with concrete caulk. The only other option is to make a cut with a wet saw and then fill it back with caulk.
X50ARM is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 09:21 PM   #18
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmugglersBlues View Post
First off, what a beautiful dog. I have six dogs myself mostly rescues. I have the invisible fence as well as a physical fence. As someone said earlier if the urge is strong enough they can run through it. The collar will beep approximately five feet before it actual fence then it zapps them at the fence for approximately five feet after. once they are through this "zone" they cannot get back in. I still like the fence however my Rottie that I had did manage to run through it and unfortunately right infront of a delivery truck. She did not make it. I'm not trying to discourage you in anyway I still think it's a good product. Just be aware like anything else it's not 100%

Also some may say that it's cruel to zap the dog. I say it less than being hit by a car. I actually put one of the collars around my arm and zapped myself before I would do it to my dogs. (I also volunteed to be tazed so maybe i have issue).
Thanks.I have heard they can run thru it.What about those little flags they put in the ground thats used to train the dog.I wonder if there kept out it will remind them also.
1jeeplvr is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #19
Mmmm. Good Toast.

WF Supporting Member
 
Tater Todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Over the Hills and Far Away
Posts: 9,795
I have a Boxer too. The invisible fence is awesome. The only down side is it keeps him in and not other dogs out.

When I take him for a walk without the collar, I have to carry him across it. He won't go close to it.

The ex gf though held his collar after a vet visit...... wish I was home to see that.
__________________
"It's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart" - Ulysses Everett McGill
Tater Todd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #20
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyrider1108 View Post
I have a Boxer too. The invisible fence is awesome. The only down side is it keeps him in and not other dogs out.

When I take him for a walk without the collar, I have to carry him across it. He won't go close to it.

The ex gf though held his collar after a vet visit...... wish I was home to see that.
Doesent that confuse the dog? When I walk him he is going to be scared to go outside the yard.
1jeeplvr is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #21
Mmmm. Good Toast.

WF Supporting Member
 
Tater Todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Over the Hills and Far Away
Posts: 9,795
There is a zone he definitely doesn't want to go in. I wouldn't say he's confused at all. He gets to a certain point and stops.
__________________
"It's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart" - Ulysses Everett McGill
Tater Todd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 12:53 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
NC Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyrider1108 View Post
There is a zone he definitely doesn't want to go in. I wouldn't say he's confused at all. He gets to a certain point and stops.

yep, mine does the same thing, and I would have to carry him across but it took a little work (read bribing, pleading, begging, and cussing), but now I take the collar off and replace with his harness and say green light, he will walk right on through. Once back in I reverse it and say red light.

If I do not swap collars and say the word green light he will not move closer than 10 feet from the zone. I don't think my Jeep could pull him across
__________________
97 Jeep TJ, the only hole she can't climb out of is DEBT.




NC Bear is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #23
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,981
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bear View Post
yep, mine does the same thing, and I would have to carry him across but it took a little work (read bribing, pleading, begging, and cussing), but now I take the collar off and replace with his harness and say green light, he will walk right on through. Once back in I reverse it and say red light.

If I do not swap collars and say the word green light he will not move closer than 10 feet from the zone. I don't think my Jeep could pull him across
Sounds like you need lockers lol
Pretty cool with the green light red light thing though.
1jeeplvr is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2013, 07:14 PM   #24
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,981
The guy from Invisible fence came & gave us an estimate.Who has the closest guess?? Its 800' of fence (cable) and 2 collars,one for our G.S. & one for our Doxie.I know,2 different ends of the world with the 2 dogs lol.
Whats your guess??
1jeeplvr is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2013, 07:16 PM   #25
Mmmm. Good Toast.

WF Supporting Member
 
Tater Todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Over the Hills and Far Away
Posts: 9,795
I know what mine was. With two dogs and that footage.... $2,300?

I edited. You've got a lot more line than I do and an extra $300 receiver.
__________________
"It's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart" - Ulysses Everett McGill
Tater Todd is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #26
BAP
Jeeper
 
BAP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,909
nice looking shepard,looks alot like ours did at that age,,i have no excperince with the invisible fences we use privacy fence with concret pad on our whole back yard and they have a room that they can come into which is joined into our laundry room then into the house via screen door works great with no worries of other dogs coming in and carrying parvo or other problems,,we have karma our german shepard,willie our standard poodle, and there son colonel wich is a great combo., and sadied our walker fox hound..
__________________
4inch suspension lift,3inch body lift,4.0 5 speed,8.8 with disc,s,16inch moto metal rims ,and some 35s..
with trail rash..and getting 25mpg,s
BAP is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 12-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #27
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,981
They are doing it for 1450.00. i think thats a good price & it includes the training.
1jeeplvr is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-01-2014, 10:52 AM   #28
Jeeper
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: oklahoma panhandle
Posts: 64
My Lab chases rabbits all the time. Runs up to the Inotek fence wire and puts on her brakes. She won't cross the invisible fence unless she is loaded in a vehicle. I installed my own. Rented a lawn edger to make the shallow trench. I think a day's rent was under $20. I had to run a loop system. So I have around 10,000 feet of wire. Don't think I spent over $550 for a system with only one collar. My niece has the same system. If she brings her dogs on a visit, she brings their fence collars, too. And I put out some flags so her dogs know the fence wire location.
panhandlr is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 12:09 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
nobndry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Lynchburg, VA/ Morgantown,WV
Posts: 1,113
You can change the setting on most invisible fence systems to allow for less of a shock for different sized dogs. Ive put one on my leg before and it doesn't really hurt that bad. In my experience dogs that have been shocked once don't try to escape even if the collar isn't on them. Thats just my $.02 tho.
__________________
2010 Wrangler 2dr Sport BLACK 6spd manual, 3.73 gears, 3" TF lift, 35"KM2

... See JKs do wave.

Jeep Instagram: @jeep.wrangler.jk
nobndry is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #30
Supporting Member

WF Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Under my Jeep in beautiful upstate N.Y.
Posts: 2,981
Ive explained the concern I have that he will run thru it but the guy assured me its mostly about the training.They also have a 100% containment guarantee.

1jeeplvr is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:23 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC