Jeep's and Archery - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Discussion Forums > Off-Topic

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-24-2014, 07:41 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,529
Jeep's and Archery

Any jeepers that love Archery and shooting bows? I just bought the new PSE full throttle! Its sexy as hell!!!

__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
muddypaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 547
All of my deer and my hog were bow kills!!!

muddypaws is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
muddypaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 547
Although personally I'm a Matthews girl
muddypaws is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 10:32 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Tarless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NY state- metro
Posts: 19
Recurve guy here. Though I don't have a jeep yet.
Tarless is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 10:35 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
muddypaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 547
Nice. I've never shot recurve. Id like to though
muddypaws is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
muddypaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 547
I didn't have my Jeep when i first came here either but it has been an excellent resource both before and after getting her
muddypaws is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 10:44 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,529
Recurve is a challenge for sure! My wife shoots a Pse revenge
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 10:46 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
Tarless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NY state- metro
Posts: 19
seems jeeps and bows just go together. The bug hit me just recently. Now I'm obsessing over them. I do allot of stuff that a small convertible just doesn't accommodate. I was planning on getting my hunting license and though a pick-up would be ideal a jeep with a hitch is second best.
archery is awesome!
Tarless is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #9
Jeeper
 
Tarless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NY state- metro
Posts: 19
A compound is the logical way to go but I got this purist thing goin' on.
This boar hunting with spears has really got me intrigued.
Tarless is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 10:50 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
curt68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Denton
Posts: 223
shoot a hoyt now since i was 25....want a bowtech now. almost all deer kills with a bow
__________________
CURT. 1990 YJ. 4.6L stroker 31x10.50 fallen all terrains on chromed steel wheels. 3" body lift MC 2150 and lift coming soon.
curt68 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 10:53 PM   #11
Jeeper
 
muddypaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 547
Boar hunting with spears now that could be fun and my Jeeps a convertible Lol
muddypaws is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 10:54 PM   #12
Jeeper
 
muddypaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 547
Nice Curt try a Matthews though i can't go back my first kill was with a Darton good little bow for the money
muddypaws is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 11:55 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddypaws View Post
Nice Curt try a Matthews though i can't go back my first kill was with a Darton good little bow for the money
PSE has some really nice bows too
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-24-2014, 11:57 PM   #14
Jeeper
 
muddypaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 547
PSEs are nice too
muddypaws is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-26-2014, 02:21 AM   #15
Jeeper
 
Blkruby07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Ky
Posts: 19
I shoot Matthews and my wife shoots bear. I've been shooting since age 15, most of my deer kills are with a bow except a few. Got my wife into it 2 years ago. She's a natural, but hasn't stuck a deer yet. Waiting for the right one!
__________________
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Blkruby07 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-26-2014, 02:44 AM   #16
Jeeper
 
muddypaws's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 547
My dad started me at 4 i only 3 bucks and 1 hog all bow kills. Sadly haven't been hunting for a while
muddypaws is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-26-2014, 02:51 AM   #17
Jeeper
 
Blkruby07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Ky
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddypaws View Post
My dad started me at 4 i only 3 bucks and 1 hog all bow kills. Sadly haven't been hunting for a while
Yeah sounds like last hunting season for us. Didn't make time for it like we should have. Defiantly will be in the woods more this coming season.
__________________
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Blkruby07 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-26-2014, 03:05 AM   #18
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkruby07 View Post
I shoot Matthews and my wife shoots bear. I've been shooting since age 15, most of my deer kills are with a bow except a few. Got my wife into it 2 years ago. She's a natural, but hasn't stuck a deer yet. Waiting for the right one!
Sounds like my story. My wife hit one this year but lost blood trail
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-26-2014, 02:53 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
Blkruby07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Central Ky
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeplover1 View Post
Sounds like my story. My wife hit one this year but lost blood trail
That's never good at all! My family has 450+ acres and it's hard to keep tresspassers off and poachers away. I spent most of the year walking to my stands and finding guys in climbers on my way. After gun season I ran off 4 guys in just a few days. Our 2 target bucks were killed. Both on our neighbors land so they say. It makes hunting like a job around here.
__________________
"Do not go where the path may lead; go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

-Ralph Waldo Emerson
Blkruby07 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-26-2014, 08:44 PM   #20
Jeeper
 
brandon-99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt68 View Post
shoot a hoyt now since i was 25....want a bowtech now. almost all deer kills with a bow
I've shot A LOT of bows (there is a archery shop within walking distance) and bowtechs are by far my favorite. So far my favorite is the Invasion. I have even met the family that founded the company. Great people.
brandon-99tj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-26-2014, 10:53 PM   #21
Jeeper
 
OlYellerTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East of the CT River
Posts: 420
I cut my teeth on stick bows and cedar arrows. I once made a few arrows and a string, just 'cuz I could. ;-)

I currently have a Hoyt compound but would rather have another stick bow. I MUCH prefer carbon shafts over cedar, now. And, my son wants a stick bow. How the H*LL did that happen? :-D

If you can shoot a stick bow, you can shoot. YMMV, and invariably will...
__________________
This message is composed of recycled electrons. None of these electrons has been harmed or injured in the creation and transmission of this message but they have been shamelessly exploited for this use.

Ol' Yeller TJ
OlYellerTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 01:11 AM   #22
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,529
Stick bow? Recurve?
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 01:26 AM   #23
Jeeper
 
curt68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Denton
Posts: 223
bow

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddypaws View Post
Nice Curt try a Matthews though i can't go back my first kill was with a Darton good little bow for the money
ive hunted with bear, darton, PSE and HOYT. my first hoyt cracked a limb. sent it back and they had stopped building that bow. they gave me more in trade in than i had originally paid for it. i traded up and got a spectra fast flite hunter (circa 1993) killed several animals with that bow. then i moved to tx. YA!!! unless your a rich man or marry into a family with land you cant hardly afford to hunt here. had one spot i was hunting on (oil company land) but when they pulled out, the land owner was afraid his cattle were going to be dead with arrows in them!!! now im not a 100yr seasoned bowhunting veteran, but im pretty sure i can distinguish between a deer and cattle!!! anyway, i havent hunted down here in years. just started hunting again last year when got invited to go on several dove hunts. i really forgot what i was missing. sometimes, during hunting seasons, i talk to my buddies back home in KS and really miss the hunting!!!
Sorry for the rant!!!
__________________
CURT. 1990 YJ. 4.6L stroker 31x10.50 fallen all terrains on chromed steel wheels. 3" body lift MC 2150 and lift coming soon.
curt68 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 02:13 AM   #24
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt68 View Post
ive hunted with bear, darton, PSE and HOYT. my first hoyt cracked a limb. sent it back and they had stopped building that bow. they gave me more in trade in than i had originally paid for it. i traded up and got a spectra fast flite hunter (circa 1993) killed several animals with that bow. then i moved to tx. YA!!! unless your a rich man or marry into a family with land you cant hardly afford to hunt here. had one spot i was hunting on (oil company land) but when they pulled out, the land owner was afraid his cattle were going to be dead with arrows in them!!! now im not a 100yr seasoned bowhunting veteran, but im pretty sure i can distinguish between a deer and cattle!!! anyway, i havent hunted down here in years. just started hunting again last year when got invited to go on several dove hunts. i really forgot what i was missing. sometimes, during hunting seasons, i talk to my buddies back home in KS and really miss the hunting!!! Sorry for the rant!!!
I lived there so i know your rant all too well. I have to hunt government land now!
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 02:29 AM   #25
Jeeper
 
curt68's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Denton
Posts: 223
public land up north thinking about trying that and see if have any luck
__________________
CURT. 1990 YJ. 4.6L stroker 31x10.50 fallen all terrains on chromed steel wheels. 3" body lift MC 2150 and lift coming soon.
curt68 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 02:39 AM   #26
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt68 View Post
public land up north thinking about trying that and see if have any luck
We hunt a national forest and also military land
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 09:00 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
OlYellerTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East of the CT River
Posts: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeeplover1 View Post
Stick bow? Recurve?
Hey Now, Jeeplover1!
See the "disambiguation" below. ;-)

Bow
noun

1. a flexible strip of wood or other material, bent by a string stretched between its ends, for shooting arrows: He drew the bow and sent the arrow to its target.
2. an instrument resembling this, used for various purposes, as rotating a drill or spindle, or loosening entangled or matted fibers.
3. a bend or curve.
4. Also called bowknot. a looped knot composed of two or more loops and two ends, as for tying together the ends of a ribbon or string.
5. any separate piece of looped, knotted, or shaped gathering of ribbon, cloth, paper, etc., used as a decoration, as on a package, dress, or the like.

Disambiguation: Stickbow:
A traditional bow.
See also: longbow, recurve, short bow, composite, et c.


I miss my old recurve...
__________________
This message is composed of recycled electrons. None of these electrons has been harmed or injured in the creation and transmission of this message but they have been shamelessly exploited for this use.

Ol' Yeller TJ
OlYellerTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-27-2014, 10:51 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYellerTJ View Post
Hey Now, Jeeplover1! See the "disambiguation" below. ;-) Bow noun 1. a flexible strip of wood or other material, bent by a string stretched between its ends, for shooting arrows: He drew the bow and sent the arrow to its target. 2. an instrument resembling this, used for various purposes, as rotating a drill or spindle, or loosening entangled or matted fibers. 3. a bend or curve. 4. Also called bowknot. a looped knot composed of two or more loops and two ends, as for tying together the ends of a ribbon or string. 5. any separate piece of looped, knotted, or shaped gathering of ribbon, cloth, paper, etc., used as a decoration, as on a package, dress, or the like. Disambiguation: Stickbow: A traditional bow. See also: longbow, recurve, short bow, composite, et c. I miss my old recurve...
I was asking what a stickbow was.. Is it the same as recurve?
__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-28-2014, 08:45 PM   #29
Jeeper
 
OlYellerTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: East of the CT River
Posts: 420
"Stickbow" is slang for any traditional type of bow. It is a (fancy) stick with a string: longbow, recurve, composite, et c. A stickbow is not a compound or cross bow (no cams, eccentrics or stocks).
__________________
This message is composed of recycled electrons. None of these electrons has been harmed or injured in the creation and transmission of this message but they have been shamelessly exploited for this use.

Ol' Yeller TJ
OlYellerTJ is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-28-2014, 08:59 PM   #30
Jeeper
 
Jeeplover1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 15,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlYellerTJ View Post
"Stickbow" is slang for any traditional type of bow. It is a (fancy) stick with a string: longbow, recurve, composite, et c. A stickbow is not a compound or cross bow (no cams, eccentrics or stocks).
Ahh gotcha.. Not my thing i like speed.. But i respect true archery at its finest!

__________________
Im a Vet and bled for my beliefs and was willing to die for them, what have you done for yours?
Jeeplover1 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:29 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC