Mount Rushmore - Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Discussion Forums > Off-Topic

Join Wrangler Forum Today



Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-08-2013, 01:07 PM   #1
Jeeper
 
hbgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Echo Base
Posts: 6,398
hbgirl is on a distinguished road
Mount Rushmore

Has anybody here been? Once hubby is back from deployment this Spring, we're taking a road trip from TX to Mount Rushmore, and I was curious if there are other things that people who have been would recommend doing along the way, in the same area, within a few hours drive, etc.

Thanks!

(I've Google-fu'd too, and now interested in personal experiences )
hbgirl is offline   Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
Brad48178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 416
Brad48178 is on a distinguished road
My wife and I were there a few years ago and man what a beautiful area. We did a guided tour to mt. Rushmore, crazy horse and some other spots I can't remember off the top of my head. It was a lot of fun and I hope I get to go out there again someday.
Brad48178 is offline   Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 01:25 PM   #3
Jeeper
 
KittyPrawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 2,339
KittyPrawn is on a distinguished road
I went to Mount Rushmore. I definitely recommend going to see Crazy Horse as well. I was actually more impressed by that one.

If you like animals, there is something called "Bear Country" near by, which is a drive through safari type thing. Lots of Bears roaming around. They had some areas with wolves too.

Those are the places I did in the area, but I was on a very limited schedule. I saw Mt Rushmore and Bear Country when I arrived in the afternoon, stayed one night, saw Crazy Horse in the morning and then started driving in the afternoon.
__________________
Deb
2013 True Blue JKU Rubicon Goodbye Pontiac!
I drive a 4 door. There is more space for bacon inside.
KittyPrawn is offline   Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Jeeper
 
Brad48178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 416
Brad48178 is on a distinguished road
If you go drive through Custer state park. Hopefully you'll see this. Sorry for the blurry side pic my wife made me roll up the window. On a side note if you can go over the Fourth of July the fireworks show is amazing.
Brad48178 is offline   Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:01 PM   #5
Jeeper
 
SurfKaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: St. Augustine FL
Posts: 2,408
SurfKaster is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad48178 View Post
If you go drive through Custer state park. Hopefully you'll see this. Sorry for the blurry side pic my wife made me roll up the window. On a side note if you can go over the Fourth of July the fireworks show is amazing.
That is cool
SurfKaster is online now   Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
Jeeper
 
hbgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Echo Base
Posts: 6,398
hbgirl is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyPrawn View Post
I went to Mount Rushmore. I definitely recommend going to see Crazy Horse as well. I was actually more impressed by that one.

If you like animals, there is something called "Bear Country" near by, which is a drive through safari type thing. Lots of Bears roaming around. They had some areas with wolves too.

Those are the places I did in the area, but I was on a very limited schedule. I saw Mt Rushmore and Bear Country when I arrived in the afternoon, stayed one night, saw Crazy Horse in the morning and then started driving in the afternoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad48178 View Post
If you go drive through Custer state park. Hopefully you'll see this. Sorry for the blurry side pic my wife made me roll up the window. On a side note if you can go over the Fourth of July the fireworks show is amazing.
Thank you both! This is exactly what I was looking for. And awesome pics, Brad!
hbgirl is offline   Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:15 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
Brad48178's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Michigan
Posts: 416
Brad48178 is on a distinguished road
Here's a few more. I'm not sure what year the jeep is but I like it.
Brad48178 is offline   Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:51 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
cmoens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere in the woods
Posts: 135
cmoens is on a distinguished road
I agree with the above. I was lucky enough to see Mt Rushmore numerous times, the best was flying at face level in a 707. You might want to take in the Devils Tower too, very impressive. Whatever you decide, it's worth the trip.
cmoens is offline   Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:00 AM   #9
Jeeper
 
KittyPrawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 2,339
KittyPrawn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmoens View Post
I agree with the above. I was lucky enough to see Mt Rushmore numerous times, the best was flying at face level in a 707. You might want to take in the Devils Tower too, very impressive. Whatever you decide, it's worth the trip.
I was going to suggest Devil's Tower too, but I wasn't sure if it would be too out of the way of their route from DFW to the Black Hills. That was a nice hike... wish I could have seen some climbers, but I was there during the month that the local Native Americans consider a sacred time and ask that no one climbs. It was still very fascinating and beautiful though.
__________________
Deb
2013 True Blue JKU Rubicon Goodbye Pontiac!
I drive a 4 door. There is more space for bacon inside.
KittyPrawn is offline   Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:31 AM   #10
Jeeper
 
angrysam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: TC, MN
Posts: 38
angrysam is on a distinguished road
Might as well make your way up to Deadwood. Some cool history.
__________________
'15 Rubicon Hard Rock
angrysam is offline   Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:13 AM   #11
Jeeper
 
bbtj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Box Elder, SD
Posts: 1,880
bbtj is on a distinguished road
The wife and I were there back in Oct. We had a good time, in addition to all that mentioned above, if you have the time, drive thru the Wind Caves National Memorial, which is next to Custer State Park. That is where we saw buffalo, antelope, coyotes, and several prairie dog towns. There is also the drive through Spearfish Canyon, where they have 3 different waterfalls. Also, the drive through the Badlands National Park, where we got to see the mountain goats. They also have an old Minuteman 3 missile silo and launch facility, if that is something that interests you. The air force base in Rapid City also has a museum. If you are going to go in the Spring, you might check and see when they have the lighting ceremonies for Mt. Rushmore. That is pretty cool. I also recommend the three scenic drives through Custer State Park, the Needles Drive, the Wildlife Loop, and the Pin Bridges. If you like horses, you can drive down to Hot Springs and see the wild horse sanctuary. They only have one tour a day, that lasts almost all day.
bbtj is offline   Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #12
Jeeper
 
dirtybiketrash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Lost Plains of Iowa
Posts: 2,413
dirtybiketrash is on a distinguished road
I have been there a few times for the Sturgis rally. I didn't see it as I glanced through the other posts, so in addition to all the other GREAT suggestions already listed, I would head east a ways and check out Badlands Park. That's a great drive also, and when you are done you can stop into Wall Drug for the free ice-water (Where in the HELL is Wall Drug?).
__________________
Dozer Yellow 2012 JK Rubicon
6-Speed Manual / Black Hard Top
dirtybiketrash is offline   Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #13
Jeeper
 
hbgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Echo Base
Posts: 6,398
hbgirl is on a distinguished road
Great suggestions everyone, thanks so much for replying! So:

Mount Rushmore
Crazy Horse
Custer State Park + scenic drives
Wind Caves National Memorial
Spearfish Canyon
Badlands National Park

We'll have about 10 days total to play with including our travel time.

We prefer outdoorsy vacations so this sounds like it will be perfect (we'll be bringing our dog with us too). Don't know if we're taking my jeep or his truck ... we'll have to settle it rock/paper/scissors.

Can't wait to go, it's been on my list for a long time now.
hbgirl is offline   Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
Jeeper
 
KittyPrawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Fairfax, VA
Posts: 2,339
KittyPrawn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbgirl View Post
Great suggestions everyone, thanks so much for replying! So:

Mount Rushmore
Crazy Horse
Custer State Park + scenic drives
Wind Caves National Memorial
Spearfish Canyon
Badlands National Park

We'll have about 10 days total to play with including our travel time.

We prefer outdoorsy vacations so this sounds like it will be perfect (we'll be bringing our dog with us too). Don't know if we're taking my jeep or his truck ... we'll have to settle it rock/paper/scissors.

Can't wait to go, it's been on my list for a long time now.
It was great. My only wish when I went is I had someone to share it with, so I'm jealous.

Of course, with all these other suggestions people have mentioned that I missed, i might just have to plan another trip back there!
__________________
Deb
2013 True Blue JKU Rubicon Goodbye Pontiac!
I drive a 4 door. There is more space for bacon inside.
KittyPrawn is offline   Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Download our Mobile App

» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:57 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2016 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC
« Back

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner