My Jeep Hit by Stolen Car - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Jeep Wrangler Forum

Go Back   Jeep Wrangler Forum > General Discussion Forums > Off-Topic

Join Wrangler Forum Today


Reply
 
Thread Tools

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on WranglerForum.com
Old 01-12-2014, 02:58 PM   #1
G54
out there

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 13,599
Images: 5
My Jeep Hit by Stolen Car

I was sitting at a red light at the intersection of State Rd. and I480 exit ramp when I heard sirens. I looked to my left to see a white sedan speeding up the ramp coming directly toward me. He jumped the median, clipped my driver rear quarter, pushed my Jeep a little, and slammed into a pedestrian protective wall. I got out and saw him running away, with an OSP trooper hot on his tail. After some tazing he got him in custody. Witness said I pulled up just before impact but I dont remember that. If I hadnt, I wouldnt be writing this now....Trooper said he was driving a stolen car doing 80MPH.


Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140112_155529.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	178.0 KB
ID:	663241



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140112_155547.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	204.7 KB
ID:	663249



Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20140112_155617.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	663257

In the last pic you can see my Jeep still at the intersection and how far he bounced off the wall. Im a little shaken up and sore but ok.

G54 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 03:01 PM   #2
Jeeper
 
NC Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,252
Wow, glad you are ok, and suspect is in custody.

__________________
97 Jeep TJ, the only hole she can't climb out of is DEBT.




NC Bear is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 03:08 PM   #3
G54
out there

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 13,599
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bear View Post
Wow, glad you are ok, and suspect is in custody.
Thanks, very scary. If you look close at my spare you can see white paint. At 80mph had he hit my door I dont think even the Ace rails wouls have saved me. I believe he was airborne cuz he hit the mediun so hard it flattened all his tires
G54 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 03:10 PM   #4
I am JD & It's my Dream

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
JDsDream's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: The Peach State
Posts: 26,873
Images: 4
I'm really sorry to hear this Gus, but the important thing is that you are okay.
__________________
The kind of woman that when my feet hit the floor each morning the devil says "Oh Crap, She's up!"

To All Of Our Forum Veterans and Active Service Members.
Our Debt To You Is Greater Than We Could Ever Repay.
Thank You

Become a Supporting Member!
JDsDream is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 03:12 PM   #5
G54
out there

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 13,599
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDsDream View Post
I'm really sorry to hear this Gus, but the important thing is that you are okay.
Yep, God was watching out for me on this one. Like I said, I dont remember moving forward. The stop bar where I was origially at with the front of the jeep was a few feet behind me where I ended up.
G54 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 04:16 PM   #6
Mmmm. Good Toast.

WF Supporting Member
 
Harleyrider1108's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Over the Hills and Far Away
Posts: 8,883
Sorry to hear that Gus
__________________
"It's a fool that looks for logic in the chambers of the human heart" - Ulysses Everett McGill
Harleyrider1108 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 04:20 PM   #7
Jeeper
 
RoadGlide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Way north of Texas
Posts: 6,592
...good on you that you are ok.

be careful about declaring that...some injuries take a couple of days to manifest!

stolen car...so no insurance on that party probably...leaves yours to cover...however there is some culpability on the LEO agency's part...since a pursuit was involved...they will declare not, but let your insurance do the hard part...
__________________
Paul

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
RoadGlide is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 04:23 PM   #8
Jeeper
 
NC Bear's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 1,252
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus54 View Post
Thanks, very scary. If you look close at my spare you can see white paint. At 80mph had he hit my door I dont think even the Ace rails wouls have saved me. I believe he was airborne cuz he hit the mediun so hard it flattened all his tires

yep, and 80 mph crash is pretty violent. Looks like from the pictures his speed bled off significantly. He hit you with a glancing blow probably around 40 mph. Even at that an 40 mph hit would have knocked you for a big ol wallop.

Keep in mind I didn't investigate and I am only seeing a couple pics but yea you are lucky!!!
__________________
97 Jeep TJ, the only hole she can't climb out of is DEBT.




NC Bear is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 04:28 PM   #9
G54
out there

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 13,599
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGlide View Post
...good on you that you are ok.

be careful about declaring that...some injuries take a couple of days to manifest!

stolen car...so no insurance on that party probably...leaves yours to cover...however there is some culpability on the LEO agency's part...since a pursuit was involved...they will declare not, but let your insurance do the hard part...
Good advice thanks. The Trooper said sometimes the insurance wont charge you the deductable in a case like this. All that fun starts tomorrow.
G54 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #10
Jeeper
 
MyRed88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Highland Michigan
Posts: 1,214
Are those pictures the only damage to your jeep?
MyRed88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
G54
out there

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 13,599
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Bear View Post

yep, and 80 mph crash is pretty violent. Looks like from the pictures his speed bled off significantly. He hit you with a glancing blow probably around 40 mph. Even at that an 40 mph hit would have knocked you for a big ol wallop.

Keep in mind I didn't investigate and I am only seeing a couple pics but yea you are lucky!!!
All I know is the Trooper said the pursuit was at 80 but yeah by the time he hit me Im sure it was slower. But I'll say this, he was probably 200 feet from me when I first saw him coming at me, and it was a blink and wham. His car ended up quite a distance from the wall here he hit it.
G54 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 04:32 PM   #12
G54
out there

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 13,599
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRed88 View Post
Are those pictures the only damage to your jeep?
Thats all I can see yes. It was a glancing blow. I was able to drive it home. Hopefully the frame isnt bent.
G54 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 04:35 PM   #13
Jeeper
 
MyRed88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Highland Michigan
Posts: 1,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus54 View Post
Thats all I can see yes. It was a glancing blow. I was able to drive it home. Hopefully the frame isnt bent.
good excuse for a nice new bumper and other upgrades
MyRed88 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 04:53 PM   #14
That's no moon

WF Supporting Member
::WF Moderator::
 
hbgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Baseball Town
Posts: 5,560
Wow Gus!! So glad you are ok
__________________
Hair by Jeep
hbgirl is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 05:00 PM   #15
G54
out there

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 13,599
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbgirl View Post
Wow Gus!! So glad you are ok
Thanks Ros.
G54 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 05:02 PM   #16
G54
out there

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 13,599
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRed88 View Post
good excuse for a nice new bumper and other upgrades
We'll see. I may get stuck with the $500 deductable. I'll know more about all that when I talk to my agent tomorrow and after the OSHP calls me with the dirtbags info.
G54 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 06:49 PM   #17
I came first.

WF Supporting Member
 
Cherilyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: SW Florida
Posts: 484
Holy shitballs, Gus! So glad you are OK. Also glad that asshat was caught.
__________________
I didn't give my kids middle names in order to decrease their odds of becoming serial killers.

Texas flag grille mod write-up
Cherilyn is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 06:53 PM   #18
G54
out there

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 13,599
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherilynster View Post
Holy shitballs, Gus! So glad you are OK. Also glad that asshat was caught.
Thanks Cherilyn! Yes it sucked but there is still much to be thankful for
G54 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 06:58 PM   #19
Jeeper
 
gunmn74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Newton Kansas 25 miles North of Wichita
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyRed88 View Post
good excuse for a nice new bumper and other upgrades
X2
A new steel bumper with tire carrier.
__________________
2010 JK added 17" rims and 32 inch At tires, hitch, Ace rock sliders, Barricade bumper,
light guards, grab handles, floor mats, Grabars, Rock Ridge hood latches and fuel door.
gunmn74 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 07:30 PM   #20
G54
out there

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 13,599
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunmn74 View Post

X2
A new steel bumper with tire carrier.
Probably could get that cheaper than a new factory bumper. I was thinking of taking it to my dealer to get fixed cuz i think they have a body shop there and they would have the right parts and it might be good for potential warranty issues down the road. Does anyone know if Mopar has aftermarket rear bumpers offhand. I'll do some checking on that too.
G54 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 07:33 PM   #21
G54
out there

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 13,599
Images: 5
I found this one

http://m.quadratec.com/products/prod...id=12118+22+07

Except it twice the cost of a stock replacement
G54 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 07:55 PM   #22
Jeeper
 
Lando25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Southern Minnesota
Posts: 1,076
Damn, reminds me of something you would see on world's wildest police videos. Glad your ok.
__________________
sic vis pacem para bellum
OlllllllO
Lando25 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #23
Jeeper
 
RoadGlide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Way north of Texas
Posts: 6,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus54 View Post
I found this one

MOPAR® Off-Road Rear Bumper | Jeep Parts and Accessories | Quadratec

Except it twice the cost of a stock replacement
gus...wait and see what the LEOs say, and maybe...just maybe the rightful owner of the car had insurance that covers...mine does if somebody steals my vehicle and causes hate warfare and distention...but not all do...

like i said, the states pay astronomical insurance fees because of the chance that apprehension will involve innocents...you might be surprised what your insurance company will demand that they do...
__________________
Paul

"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Ralph Waldo Emerson
RoadGlide is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 08:11 PM   #24
G54
out there

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 13,599
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando25 View Post
Damn, reminds me of something you would see on world's wildest police videos. Glad your ok.
Haha yep, I said it was like being in an episode of Cops. And thanks!
G54 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 08:12 PM   #25
G54
out there

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 13,599
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGlide View Post

gus...wait and see what the LEOs say, and maybe...just maybe the rightful owner of the car had insurance that covers...mine does if somebody steals my vehicle and causes hate warfare and distention...but not all do...

like i said, the states pay astronomical insurance fees because of the chance that apprehension will involve innocents...you might be surprised what your insurance company will demand that they do...
Again good advice! I should know something tomorrow.
G54 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 09:17 PM   #26
Jeeper
 
JKRookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,376
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadGlide View Post
...good on you that you are ok.

be careful about declaring that...some injuries take a couple of days to manifest!

stolen car...so no insurance on that party probably...leaves yours to cover...however there is some culpability on the LEO agency's part...since a pursuit was involved...they will declare not, but let your insurance do the hard part...
Just to elaborate on this...it is so important not to "settle" with the insurance...my boyfriends younger brother was t-boned at an intersection and being young of course settled for the money with the insurance and a month or so later started having really bad back pain - long story short he has 3 or 4 compressed/slipped discs and some nerve damage and has little to no feeling in his legs and can no longer work bc of this and the cherry on top is that he has no health insurance..so be very careful with the insurance company!
JKRookie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 09:26 PM   #27
Jeeper
 
JKRookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Dallas
Posts: 1,376
Also very glad you are ok!
JKRookie is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 09:35 PM   #28
Jeeper
 
gunmn74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Newton Kansas 25 miles North of Wichita
Posts: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus54 View Post
Probably could get that cheaper than a new factory bumper. I was thinking of taking it to my dealer to get fixed cuz i think they have a body shop there and they would have the right parts and it might be good for potential warranty issues down the road. Does anyone know if Mopar has aftermarket rear bumpers offhand. I'll do some checking on that too.
My dealership will put on aftermarket parts. They even have a Quadratec account. Insurace allows X for the bumper as long as the after market is under that it should not be a problem.
__________________
2010 JK added 17" rims and 32 inch At tires, hitch, Ace rock sliders, Barricade bumper,
light guards, grab handles, floor mats, Grabars, Rock Ridge hood latches and fuel door.
gunmn74 is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 09:56 PM   #29
G54
out there

WF Supporting Member
 
G54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NEO
Posts: 13,599
Images: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRookie View Post

Just to elaborate on this...it is so important not to "settle" with the insurance...my boyfriends younger brother was t-boned at an intersection and being young of course settled for the money with the insurance and a month or so later started having really bad back pain - long story short he has 3 or 4 compressed/slipped discs and some nerve damage and has little to no feeling in his legs and can no longer work bc of this and the cherry on top is that he has no health insurance..so be very careful with the insurance company!
More great advice. I love this forum and all my friends here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKRookie View Post
Also very glad you are ok!
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunmn74 View Post
My dealership will put on aftermarket parts. They even have a Quadratec account. Insurace allows X for the bumper as long as the after market is under that it should not be a problem.
Cool! I'll be calling them tomorrow. First I have to wait for the call from the OSHP in the morning to get the suspects and car owners info for my insurance agent, then call my agent, then the dealer. This should be fun lol.
G54 is online now   Quote Quick Reply
Old 01-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #30
Nerf gun assassin

WF Supporting Member
::WF Administrator::
 
distortedtj's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: yep right there.
Posts: 21,259
Send a message via Yahoo to distortedtj
Glad you are ok bud. And you have the right mindset. You are ok...jeep can be fixed or replaced. Hope the "process" goes ok for you.

distortedtj is offline   Quote Quick Reply
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Jeep Wrangler Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



logo carid shop wrangler parts carid fender flares custom wheels store avs deflectors at carid
» Rates
Get low rates on auto insurance in Canada!

» Network Links
»Jeep Parts
» Featured Product

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 PM.



Jeep®, Wrangler, Liberty, Wagoneer, Cherokee, and Grand Cherokee are copyrighted and trademarked to Chrysler Motors LLC.
Wranglerforum.com is not in any way associated with the Chrysler Motors LLC