At least you didn't go chucking tools around, hope it's going to be a bit smoother for ya' once that is taken care of
I almost threw the camera as it was in my hand but at the last second I thought better of it. That's why the end of the first video looks to the ground quickly because it was about to bounce off the brick wall behind me.
Anyways, I sent an email to the place that built it and I'm going to call them tomorrow and see if they'll fix their screw up. Cuz I don't wanna.
M-kay. Just a quick update. The head is about ready to come off. Everything is disconnected from it and it is just waiting for me to loosen it up and pull it off. I should be able to start it up later tonight if things go smoothly. After a bit of research it looks like the leak was caused by over tightening the head and squishing the head gasket too much. But I haven't looked inside yet so we will see tonight.
On a side note, I was curious as to exactly how my custom head compared to the most of the retail performance heads. I thought it was a stage 2 equivalent head but I was WAY OFF. It is in between a stage 3 and stage 4 head leaning very hard towards the stage 4.
He shoots.....he scores!!!! Nice job with #2. While I was scrolling down, looking at the previous car pics, I kept thinking, can it get worse? And, it did. Way to go with the newer one. Those Mini's are the only Mini's, in my opinion. Loved the original Italian Job movie and I went to HS with a dude that had one. We were all motor-heads at the time, and we were like, WTF is that? Street-legal go-carts! Enjoy and thanks for sharing the pics.
Pulled the head, cleaned it all up, got it almost all back together. All that is left is to set the valve gap, put the upper radiator hose on, heater hoses on, spark plugs in, and the valve cover on.
I think I know why it was leaking. The guy who assembled it used some sort of glue or adhesive on the head gasket but only on half of it. He did both the top and the bottom of the gasket but only on the half closest to the grill. The head gaskets are supposed to go on dry.
No leaks so far. It's desperate for a tune though. Fuel and timing. Then I can drive it around and load up on the miles.
It's sad though. I found out yesterday that I can't ship my Mini back to the states when I leave. I'll have to leave it here for a bit and have someone ship it for me. There's a 25yr old rule and the rule goes by the day, month and year of production and not just by the year like I thought. My Mini won't be 25 years old till 1 August this year. I'll have to do a special power of attorney to someone that can ship it for me in August.
The break-in sequence was completed on Sunday. I took her up to a Mini swap meet/Mini show and picked up some goodies. A new custom dashboard should arrive around the end of the week. Now all I need to do is pick some gauges. I also picked up some new fuse blocks that use blade fuses instead of the current glass fuse block and I grabbed some blue silicone radiator and heater hoses.
Monday I re-torqued the head, re-torqued the rocker arm assembly caps, and re-adjusted the valves and then gave her her first oil change.
Today I took her out for her first post break-in sequence run. All I can say is... .
She lacks a bit on the top end but more than makes up for it in low end power. I have scheduled a full dyno tuning session on Monday morning next week. I'm hoping that it will improve the top end power a bit. And my goodness, I really need to get some sound proofing in there. It gets really loud inside when I she's going full tilt.
I noticed its picked up some more low end power and the hesitation is gone. The top end power didn't increase as much as I would have liked but it is still nice. The numbers are a tad low from what was promised by the "tool" that built the engine.